PDA

View Full Version : The Top 30 NBA Spurs: Duncan stands atop list of greatest Spurs

Spurs Brazil
04-08-2007, 08:34 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA040807.08C.BKNtopspurs.duncan.2e5ad05.html

The Top 30 NBA Spurs: Duncan stands atop list of greatest Spurs

Web Posted: 04/07/2007 11:42 PM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

Thirty years ago the Spurs played their first NBA season after being one of four teams from the American Basketball Association to join the older league. To commemorate this anniversary, on Sundays the Express-News has recognized our selections as the 30 greatest NBA Spurs. Tim Duncan, 1997-present, is No. 1.

When the Express-News decided to commemorate the Spurs' 30 years as an NBA franchise by compiling a list of the 30 greatest players from the team's NBA years, there was one given: Nos. 1 through 3 would be Tim Duncan, David Robinson and George Gervin.

Gervin embodied the team's success as the franchise transitioned from the ABA into the NBA. He was the team's first superstar.

Robinson was the face of the franchise for 14 seasons, the team's first NBA Most Valuable Player and the anchor of the lock-down defense that became the team's hallmark after the go-go approach that carried over from the ABA into the first seasons in the NBA.

Duncan in 1997 picked up the mantle from Robinson, leading the team to three championships while being recognized as the best big man in the game, a two-time MVP and three-time MVP of the NBA Finals.

Each player had his place in the team's impact on San Antonio. Without question, they are the three most important players in franchise history.

There was consensus among those of us who compiled the top 30 list about placing them in one-two-three order, too. While some readers already have expressed disappointment that Duncan was placed ahead of Robinson, recognizing Duncan as the greatest player in franchise history was a matter of minimal debate.

Start with raw numbers.

Still 18 days shy of his 31st birthday, Duncan already ranks second in Spurs NBA history in games played (741, before Saturday's Spurs-Warriors game), rebounds (8,816) and blocked shots (1,825). He's third in points scored (16,191), field goals made (6,194) and attempted (12,195), free throws made (3,779) and attempted (5,551). He's fifth in assists (2,346), seventh in steals (591) and ninth in field goal percentage (50.8).

Duncan was named the NBA's MVP in 2002 and 2003, one of 10 players in league history to win multiple MVP awards. In the nine seasons he has played before 2006-07, he has been first-team All-NBA eight times and was a second-team selection the only season he was not voted to the first team. He has earned All-Defensive first-team honors six times and All-Defensive second team three times. He is the first player in league history to be named to an All-NBA team and an All-Defensive team in each of his first nine seasons. Duncan, the 1998 Rookie of the Year, has been an All-Star each of his 10 NBA seasons.

What truly made the choice of Duncan as the No. 1 player in franchise history easy, though, is the impact he made on the Spurs' playoff success. Before he arrived, the Spurs had won more than one NBA playoff series only once.

With Duncan, the Spurs have won three titles, and with three distinctly different sets of teammates surrounding him. In the club's first championship season, Duncan was with a mostly veteran outfit that included Robinson, Sean Elliott and Avery Johnson. In the second championship run, in 2003, Tony Parker was in his second season and still learning how to be an effective NBA point guard, Manu Ginobili was a rookie and Stephen Jackson was a major offensive contributor. In 2005, Duncan played alongside a new center, Rasho Nesterovic, and Robert Horry and Brent Barry had filled important roles.

Duncan was the constant, voted MVP of all three NBA Finals.

It may well be that the Spurs remained in San Antonio because of Duncan. A referendum to commit public funds to construction of a new arena, deemed vital by ownership if the team was to remain in the Alamo City, trailed in pre-election polls before Duncan led the Spurs to the 1999 title. Voting on the same day the Spurs were presented their championship rings, San Antonians overwhelmingly approved public support for what is now the AT&T Center.

Here are Duncan's rankings in the Spurs playoff history: No. 1 in points scored (2,858), rebounds (1,499), field goals made (1,038) and attempted (2,056), free throws made (759) and attempted (1,078) and blocked shots (318). He's No. 2 in games played (118), assists (424), scoring average (24.1) and rebounding average (12.7); No. 4 in steals (80); No. 9 in field goal percentage (50.5).

Duncan's importance to the Spurs' success on the court goes beyond numbers. He is a leader by example; few players in NBA history have been more devoted to self-improvement. His work ethic has been praised by coach Gregg Popovich from the moment he arrived for his rookie season.

Barry recalls the day he arrived in San Antonio to sign a free-agent contract on July 15, 2004. The Spurs had been eliminated by the Lakers in the Western Conference semifinals in late May, but as Barry signed his contract in an office just off the Spurs' practice court, he heard the squeak of basketball shoes on hardwood, so he looked to see who was working out.

It was Duncan, practicing defensive slides.

1. Tim Duncan

2. David Robinson

3. George Gervin

4. Manu Ginobili

5. Sean Elliott

6. Tony Parker

7. Larry Kenon

8. Avery Johnson

9. James Silas

10. Alvin Robertson

11. Mike Mitchell

12. Artis Gilmore

13. Johnny Moore

14. Bruce Bowen

15. Malik Rose

16. Terry Cummings

17. Billy Paultz

18. Dennis Rodman

19. Robert Horry

20. Mark Olberding

21. Steve Kerr

22. Vinny Del Negro

23. Mario Elie

24. Gene Banks

25. Mike Gale

26. Chuck Person

27. Coby Dietrick

28. Dave Corzine

29. Willie Anderson

30. Stephen Jackson

SRJ
04-08-2007, 08:38 AM
Appropriate.

TDMVPDPOY
04-08-2007, 08:49 AM
AT LEAST they got manu > fresh prince of france

RobinsontoDuncan
04-08-2007, 09:13 AM
AT LEAST they got manu > fresh prince of france

Im not sure why Manu would be better than tony, especially over the last two seasons, or tony's first two seasons...so I guess Manu is ahead of Tony just because of 2005

duncan228
04-08-2007, 09:21 AM
Could someone please help...
Does the article in the paper have any more than what's on line? Pictures? I don't live in SA, I would order the issue if there's more in it.
Thanks!

bigfan
04-08-2007, 10:07 AM
My only problem with the whole list or order is Chuck Person. I just dont think he is one of the top 30 all-time Spurs. I'd replace him with Strickland.

RC's Boss
04-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Im not sure why Manu would be better than tony, especially over the last two seasons, or tony's first two seasons...so I guess Manu is ahead of Tony just because of 2005
Don't worry, 3 years from now if they were to do this he would be 4th and possibly 3rd.

samikeyp
04-08-2007, 11:24 AM
Don't worry, 3 years from now if they were to do this he would be 4th and possibly 3rd

I disagree. I don't see the top three changing pretty much ever.

spursfaninla
04-08-2007, 11:25 AM
I think Manu, Tony and Sean have all been important parts of the championship Spurs teams.

Sean had at least one all-star year, had the Miracle against Portland, defended key players in the playoffs on 1/2 a kidney, and was a great team player.

Manu has had countless playoff heroics and has been an all-star. He was more clearly the number 2 in 05.

Parker is more clearly the number 2 scorer, at least during the regular season, the last 2 years, and is often the first option for the spurs. He was an allstar this year. He shoots at a stockton/nash-like percentage (although stockton did it with mid-range jumpers more often), and he has carried the spurs in many playoff games, as was quoted earlier here scoring over 30 12 times in the playoffs to Manu's 8 times.

I don't know how to differentiate between them, but I must say I think Manu and Tony are probably a step above the Ninja, just from the fact that they have both taken turns being the main option/high scorer when teams were temporarily able to neutralize Duncan, and Sean never was able to do that (imagine if Sean was able to help more when David was outplayed by Hakeem)...

Pugglekicker_21
04-08-2007, 01:17 PM
James White will soon be rapidly scaling this list....

exstatic
04-08-2007, 01:59 PM
I disagree. I don't see the top three changing pretty much ever.
"Ever" is a long time...

I'm sure when Ice retired and went into the HOF, some thought he would never be anything other than the greatest player in franchise history. Now, he's 3rd.

Guru of Nothing
04-08-2007, 02:29 PM
AJ is way too high.

baseline bum
04-08-2007, 02:35 PM
I don't see the #1 ever changing. At any instant in the NBA, you might have 2-4 players of Duncan's caliber or better.

In the early 60s, it was Wilt, Russell, Oscar, and Baylor. Later on it was West, Wilt, and Kareem. Then Kareem, Walton, and Julius, then Kareem, Magic, Bird, and Julius. Later, it was Michael, Magic, and Larry. Then, Jordan, Barkley, Hakeem, and Malone. In this decade it's been Shaq, Tim, and Kobe. Players like Tim are the rarest of the rare for a team to land, and I'd be shocked if we ever got another player of Tim's ability and accomplishment in my lifetime, whether I die tomorrow or live to 100. It's so amazing to have this guy playing for my favorite team.

Pugglekicker_21
04-08-2007, 02:42 PM
Let's say we have a massive collapse like in 1996, or whenver the year was when we so many people to injury and only won 20 or so games. We ended up with the top pick, and i heard we won the lotto, but didnt have th emost ping pong balls. If this(hopefully no) happens again, will we win the lottery, which I think is bad because their's no gurantee that the worst team gets the best pick, and be able to select another college star? i think we are lucky to have Tim and we more than likely will never have someone like him for a long time..

exstatic
04-08-2007, 02:57 PM
I don't see the #1 ever changing. At any instant in the NBA, you might have 2-4 players of Duncan's caliber or better.

In the early 60s, it was Wilt, Russell, Oscar, and Baylor. Later on it was West, Wilt, and Kareem. Then Kareem, Walton, and Julius, then Kareem, Magic, Bird, and Julius. Later, it was Michael, Magic, and Larry. Then, Jordan, Barkley, Hakeem, and Malone. In this decade it's been Shaq, Tim, and Kobe. Players like Tim are the rarest of the rare for a team to land, and I'd be shocked if we ever got another player of Tim's ability and accomplishment in my lifetime, whether I die tomorrow or live to 100. It's so amazing to have this guy playing for my favorite team.
I can probably go with that, although if it ever does, we're the luckiest fans on earth. Top3 like Mikey said? I can't go with that.

samikeyp
04-08-2007, 03:27 PM
"Ever" is a long time...

I'm sure when Ice retired and went into the HOF, some thought he would never be anything other than the greatest player in franchise history. Now, he's 3rd.

Very true and like you said...if someone breaks that top 3...then we are very lucky and I would be happy with that.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-08-2007, 04:16 PM

:tu :tu

exstatic
04-08-2007, 05:04 PM
Don't sleep on Parker. At the end of the season, he'll JUST turn 25 and have ~7400 points in the books. If he decides to stick around, post Duncan, his scoring could skyrocket. Let's run a scenario. He stays and plays 9 more years, until the end of the season where he turns 34. If he does nothing more than score at his current career average (15.6), he'll hit ~18500 points. Something tells me his scoring would go up, though, as a primary option. Even a conservative 19ppg, roughly his average for the last two years as a part of the big 3, nine 80 game seasons puts him past DRob in scoring, and past Ice's NBA scoring numbers to a bit over 21000 points. I think he'll score more than 19ppg, though. ;)

Amuseddaysleeper
04-08-2007, 05:09 PM
Don't sleep on Parker. At the end of the season, he'll JUST turn 25 and have ~7400 points in the books. If he decides to stick around, post Duncan, his scoring could skyrocket. Let's run a scenario. He stays and plays 9 more years, until the end of the season where he turns 34. If he does nothing more than score at his current career average (15.6), he'll hit ~18500 points. Something tells me his scoring would go up, though, as a primary option. Even a conservative 19ppg, roughly his average for the last two years as a part of the big 3, nine 80 game seasons puts him past DRob in scoring, and past Ice's NBA scoring numbers to a bit over 21000 points. I think he'll score more than 19ppg, though. ;)

Impressive, but I highly doubt he'll stick around post TD. I believe there wasn interview recently where TP said after Duncan retires he'd prefer to play for a big market team. But who knows, maybe he will stay.

san antonio spurs
04-08-2007, 05:19 PM
Impressive, but I highly doubt he'll stick around post TD. I believe there wasn interview recently where TP said after Duncan retires he'd prefer to play for a big market team. But who knows, maybe he will stay.

I'm pretty sure he'd rather win. So if the FO is serious about winning(bringing good players and not rebuilding) he might stick around.
Time will tell.
________
The Cliff Condominiums Pattaya (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

exstatic
04-08-2007, 06:05 PM
Yeah, everyone says they'll bail, post Tim, but who knows? :lol

How many REALLY good organizations are there in the NBA? Now, how many of those can pay Tony what we can? By 2011, Eva's 15 minutes may be over. He may want to stick around and join the Spurs pantheon. Shit, Iverson took a team to the Finals, and Tony is a WAY more efficient player than AI. You could probably build a nice playoff squad around Tony. They wouldn't be title contenders, but then again, we're spoiled. :)

Cry Havoc
04-08-2007, 07:25 PM
Yeah, everyone says they'll bail, post Tim, but who knows? :lol

How many REALLY good organizations are there in the NBA? Now, how many of those can pay Tony what we can? By 2011, Eva's 15 minutes may be over. He may want to stick around and join the Spurs pantheon. Shit, Iverson took a team to the Finals, and Tony is a WAY more efficient player than AI. You could probably build a nice playoff squad around Tony. They wouldn't be title contenders, but then again, we're spoiled. :)

If we get another top 5-10 pick in the draft, who knows? Even without Tim, this team is a couple of good scorers away from being a contender anyway.

J.T.
04-09-2007, 01:41 AM
I've been really spoiled as a Spurs fan. Moved to SA in 1992 and immediately became a fan. I had two stepbrothers while growing up in SA and we would always play ball in our driveway, and I got to pretend to be David because I was tallest. I wish I'd kept count of how many games I've gone to by now, probably around 200 with about 30 of those being playoff games. So, I don't really think of the Spurs as just my favorite team, but part of my childhood, part of my life now, and part of my future. It's been a blast being able to watch this team over the years and this "Top 30" series has brought back a lot of good memories.

I'm pretty content with how the list turned out, except with the ordering of 4, 5 and 6. When it's all said and done, that order will probably be Tony, Manu and then Sean. But they're all great players and all deserving of being in the top 10. Duncan is obviously the greatest man ever to wear silver and black. This guy is just class all around. I don't know of any other superstar right now who is as committed to the game as this guy. I think it's a complete testament to his greatness that throughout his career, he has commanded the respect of everyone in the league without being a showboating, arrogant, greedy jerk. Just a great guy all around. What he does for this team every night is just amazing. And the kind of guys that come to this team because they want to win and they want to play with Duncan...it's just awesome.

If the Spurs ever land another No. 1 pick after Duncan is gone, I'm pretty confident that that guy won't come close to Duncan. Guys like this are like a needle in a haystack. We're lucky to have such a great guy on this team. Hope he brings us a few more titles before he hangs it up, but if he isn't able to, I'm more than happy with what he's done.

Samr
04-09-2007, 01:49 PM
How the hell did Malik make it that high on the list?

SRJ
04-09-2007, 01:52 PM
Malik is the greatest 6th man in the history of the franchise. That has to count for something.

And don't give me Manu - Manu is a starter who comes off the bench for strategic purposes.