PDA

View Full Version : Boston Globe: No overtime in San Antonio

ShoogarBear
04-08-2007, 10:06 AM
Link (http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2007/04/08/time_to_draft_a_new_plan/?page=4)

"We noted recently how the 2005 Spurs were the only team to win a title without a player averaging 35 minutes. Last Tuesday, not one played 30 minutes in a 19-point rout of the Sonics. It was the fifth time this season, according to Elias, that the Spurs have won a game with no one playing 30 minutes, and each of the wins came by 15 points or more. Three of those five came over Seattle, against whom San Antonio went 4-0 with victory margins of 20, 31, 41, and 19 points. And, Elias added, of the other 29 teams, only two have won a game in which no player went 30 minutes."

SilverPlayer
04-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Am I the only one who sometimes worries about this. Yes its great to have fresher legs and less injuries but sometimes I think it means we have less stamina. The overtime loss to the Mavericks in last years game seven seems an example of this. When we do play the Mavs we are going to need 35-40 minutes out of some of our players.

td4mvp21
04-08-2007, 01:06 PM
I think Duncan's was because of his foot, but I agree, this year, Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili especially need to be able to play 40+ minutes in some games.

FromWayDowntown
04-08-2007, 01:14 PM
I think Pop is getting there with the minutes. Finley has played 40+ in each of the last 2 games. Parker went 41 minutes against Phoenix -- certainly a test for anyone's conditioning. Duncan went 35 against Phoenix and 38 against Golden State. Bowen played 37 minutes against the Suns and went for 34 last night. Manu is never going to be a guy who gets 40+ minutes on a regular basis,

ShoogarBear
04-08-2007, 01:16 PM
Plus, the schedule lightens up considerably in the playoffs, e.g, no B2Bs, so it's easier to tighten the benches and play more minutes.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-08-2007, 01:16 PM
Am I the only one who sometimes worries about this. Yes its great to have fresher legs and less injuries but sometimes I think it means we have less stamina. The overtime loss to the Mavericks in last years game seven seems an example of this. When we do play the Mavs we are going to need 35-40 minutes out of some of our players.

I worry about the Stamina issue as well sometimes

wildbill2u
04-08-2007, 01:46 PM
Well, Timmy's looking pretty strong lately. TWO monster flying putback stuffs in the last couple of games. The latest is on NBA.com as a vid highlight of yesterday. If you look closely, you can see that both feet have air under them. :elephant :clap :elephant :clap

By the way, Manu is on there too in a short vid on best assist of the day.

thispego
04-08-2007, 01:49 PM
are you kidding?
its a huge advatage that our reserves are efficient enough to not have to play our starting 5 for 40+ minutes.
it only means that we'll have MORE stamina for the playoffs. tim, tony, manu, and bruce can AND will start playing 35+ minutes when the playoffs start heating up. Trust me, we are at an advatage going into the playoffs like this.

Dave McNulla
04-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Well, Timmy's looking pretty strong lately. TWO monster flying putback stuffs in the last couple of games. The latest is on NBA.com as a vid highlight of yesterday. If you look closely, you can see that both feet have air under them. :elephant :clap :elephant :clap

By the way, Manu is on there too in a short vid on best assist of the day.
duncan looks so much better than the end of the past two seasons. huge advantage for the spurs.

samikeyp
04-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Duncan is finally looking like a 2-time MVP.

SilverPlayer
04-08-2007, 03:53 PM
I definetly agree that Duncan is starting to look a hell of a lot better, certainly back to MVP form. FWD post also serves to illustrate the point that we are moving in the right direction.

I just worry about those games where we need 35+ minutes out of Parker Duncan and Bowen. Its going to be an interesting run, and I think we are in much better shape than last year, even Barry and Horry going down might be good. It shortens the lineup considerably, and demands more consistent play of those that got boosted minutes.

I think Pop is getting there with the minutes. Finley has played 40+ in each of the last 2 games. Parker went 41 minutes against Phoenix -- certainly a test for anyone's conditioning. Duncan went 35 against Phoenix and 38 against Golden State. Bowen played 37 minutes against the Suns and went for 34 last night. Manu is never going to be a guy who gets 40+ minutes on a regular basis,

Man In Black
04-08-2007, 06:37 PM
The core guys are ready to go 40+ but when you're kicking ass on the also-rans of the NBA, why risk you're core guys for that?
Their practices are hellish, and much longer than a NBA game and will include enough drills to make the bulk of the posters on this board puke up their Lone Star.

But yeah, 30 mins is great when you have a TEAM that you can split minutes up with. Even better when the bench doesn't give the other team that much of an advantage.

bdictjames
04-08-2007, 06:39 PM
And most of all, almost everyone is being efficient with his minutes.