PDA

View Full Version : Turgeon?

K-State Spur
04-08-2007, 10:29 PM
Not that anybody asked, but I'm a native Wichitan. The good about him is that he headed a shocker program that was the toast of the town last year for the first time since the mid-1980s (somehow wrestling the spotlight away from Gene Stephenson). The bad news is that he only made 1 NCAA tournament (and that had a lot to do with Paul Miller coming out of nowhere to be one of the best big men in the country) - all be it to the sweet 16.

He definitely had his team overachieving when they got to a top 10 ranking (although their two big wins - Syracuse & LSU - didn't look as impressive as the season went on). But they definitely underachieved when they went 8-10 and finished in 6th place in the valley. They had the talent to finish at least 3rd this season.

Folks here won't be crying a river if the Turg leaves, but they can't deny that he put the Shox back on the basketball map either. Personally, I think he's a solid Valley coach, wouldn't want him heading my program in the Big 12 though.

T Park
04-08-2007, 11:33 PM
making a tournament with Wichita State is an accomplishment in itself.

K-State Spur
04-08-2007, 11:39 PM
making a tournament with Wichita State is an accomplishment in itself.

Kind of. I only say that because the previous 2 coaches didn't.

WSU really should be competing for a Valley title every year.

In terms of the combination of facilities, fan support, and location proximity to recruiting base, nobody else in the conference can match them.

I know most of you all had probably never heard of Wichita State before last year - except for maybe as a baseball school - but it's not a tiny metro commuter school.

It's not overly difficult to win at Wichita State.

leroyjenkins
04-09-2007, 01:34 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2830344

Updated: April 8, 2007, 11:51 PM ET
Turgeon expected to meet with A&M officials Monday

Texas A&M is leaning toward offering the men's basketball job to Wichita State coach Mark Turgeon to replace Billy Gillispie, multiple sources close to the situation told ESPN.com Sunday night.

Turgeon still needs to agree to the terms of the contract before accepting the position. He is expected to meet with Texas A&M athletic director Bill Byrne Monday with a possible news conference Tuesday in College Station.

Gillispie left Thursday after three seasons to replace Tubby Smith at Kentucky.

Turgeon led the Shockers to the Sweet 16 two seasons ago after winning the Missouri Valley Conference with a 14-4 record. Turgeon entered this season with a 111-76 record in six seasons at Wichita State.

The Shockers were the preseason pick to be in contention with Southern Illinois and Creighton to win the MVC. It looked like Wichita State was on target to win the league when it made quick work of George Mason, LSU, Syracuse and Wyoming in a brutal stretch of road games in late November and early December.

But the Shockers struggled in the MVC, finishing 8-10 and in sixth place. Wichita state finished the season 17-14 and out of the postseason.

Wichita State made a point of trying to keep Turgeon last season by bumping up his salary close to that of Creighton's Dana Altman. USA Today examined Turgeon's contract raises recently, noting that he went from $200,000 when he was hired in 2000 to a new deal that came in at $750,000 a year ago. That put him close to Altman's nearly $1 million salary, according to USA Today.

Altman accepted the head coaching job at Arkansas last week, only to return to Creighton a day later after feeling uncomfortable leaving Omaha. Turgeon has told ESPN.com on a number of occasions how at peace he is at Wichita State.

But coaching at a school like Texas A&M may be too rich to turn down. The Aggies are fresh off a Sweet 16 appearance, will open a new practice facility next year and have signed one of the top players in the country (DeAndre Jordan).

Assuming the money is guaranteed, which could be in excess of $1.5 million per year if the budget allows since Gillispie was on the verge of making $1.75 million, it would be hard to say no.

The Aggies do lose Acie Law IV at the point but have a core, plus Jordan, to make another potentially second-weekend run in the NCAAs. With his alma mater, Kansas, locked up with Bill Self, it would make sense for Turgeon to get back into the conference in which he played in some fashion.

K-State Spur
04-09-2007, 10:10 AM
One of the primary concerns up here has been that WSU's last 2 recruiting classes have been pretty awful. Gal Mekel is really the only underclassmen that has the makings of being a solid player.

I'll qualify that by pointing out that people were excited about the incoming class.

Bandwagon Bill
04-09-2007, 10:14 AM
I heard Beasly is honoring his committment to KState.

50 cent
04-09-2007, 11:07 AM
There have been rumors on the A&M board that one player slept with another player's girlfriend at WSU last year causing major chemistry problems on the team.

Also WSU supposedly had a lot of injuries.

These 2 factors contributed to them falling apart after being ranked in the Top 10.

K-State Spur
04-09-2007, 11:48 AM
Not sure where that rumor came from, I actually know a few guys on the team and never heard that.

The Shox really didn't have many injuries. PJ Cuisnard had a case of food poisoning and missed their first two losses of the year, and then he had some wrist problems, but that was about it.

The main problems were lack of a "go-to" scorer. They simply didn't have anybody who could put the ball in the hoop when the chips were down. Turgeon is a great defensive coach. But his offensive sets can drive you nuts.

Another problem was lack of contributions from newcomers. The freshman & sophomore classes provided very little this past season. In addition, much was expected from a transfer who only provided mixed results.

50 cent
04-09-2007, 01:17 PM
The rumors might not be true. I just saw it mentioned on the Shockers.net website.

Anyway, it's looking like he's the guy so I trust Byrne and it will be interesting to see how well he does with A&M's resources.

K-State Spur
04-09-2007, 02:08 PM
for what it's worth, the shocker players believe he is gone.

MajorMike
04-09-2007, 02:50 PM
16-14 after starting 9-0; losing last 5 (0-1 MVT)
25-9 NCAA 2-1 (1-1 MVT)
22-10 NIT 2-1 (1-1 MVT)
20-11 NIT 0-1 (1-1 MVT)
18-12 NIT 0-1 (1-1 MVT)
15-15 (0-1 MVT)
9-19 (0-1 MVT)

125-90, including 4-7 in the Mizzou Valley Tourney.

Ok, he may be a wonderful human being and whatnot, but are you telling me atm, with all the money in the world, coming off 2 NCAA trips and a Top 10 ranking... THIS is the best they can do?

degenerate_gambler
04-09-2007, 03:02 PM
i really dont see what aggy is in such a rush for. not that i particularly care, but seems like their settling instead of searching.

Doug Collins
04-09-2007, 03:18 PM
i really dont see what aggy is in such a rush for. not that i particularly care, but seems like their settling instead of searching.

Byrne, the AD, had his mind made up on him before Gillispie left as a replacement. He hires guys with knowledge of Texas recruiting and he dealt with Turgeon for a short while when he was at Oregon as AD. I would have preferred them to at least throw the job at a guy like Jamie Dixon just to see the reaction. A guy like Turgeon would have always been available as a second choice. I trust Byrne's decision, but would have preferred he try for Tim Floyd or Dixon first.

RonMexico
04-09-2007, 04:05 PM
16-14 after starting 9-0; losing last 5 (0-1 MVT)
25-9 NCAA 2-1 (1-1 MVT)
22-10 NIT 2-1 (1-1 MVT)
20-11 NIT 0-1 (1-1 MVT)
18-12 NIT 0-1 (1-1 MVT)
15-15 (0-1 MVT)
9-19 (0-1 MVT)

125-90, including 4-7 in the Mizzou Valley Tourney.

Ok, he may be a wonderful human being and whatnot, but are you telling me atm, with all the money in the world, coming off 2 NCAA trips and a Top 10 ranking... THIS is the best they can do?

Can you provide me with Sean Sutton's career numbers? I seem to have forgotten them... be sure to highlight what happened to the team after they went 15-1... I seem to remember some kind of inability to win on the road, but I could be wrong.

50 cent
04-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Can you provide me with Sean Sutton's career numbers? I seem to have forgotten them... be sure to highlight what happened to the team after they went 15-1... I seem to remember some kind of inability to win on the road, but I could be wrong.
I'd rather have a retarded money as my head coach than Sean Sutton.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

RonMexico
04-09-2007, 05:31 PM
Yeah, I love how this CaptMike character said Kentucky "settled" by getting BCG.

K-State Spur
04-09-2007, 06:00 PM
By chance, Scott Sutton may be the early favorite to replace Turgeon.

leemajors
04-09-2007, 06:32 PM
I'd rather have a retarded money as my head coach than Sean Sutton.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

pure genius.

RonMexico
04-09-2007, 06:46 PM
It is pure genius... simply because T. Boone Pickens has rained "retarded money" upon that school for years...

leemajors
04-09-2007, 06:58 PM
It is pure genius... simply because T. Boone Pickens has rained "retarded money" upon that school for years...

nice try.

MajorMike
04-09-2007, 07:46 PM

And yet... no one has provided ANY rebuttal to the fact that... this don't seem like a real good hire.

Barry Collier 2001-2006 89-91

The last basketball coach Byrne hired at a football school.

johngateswhiteley
04-09-2007, 07:55 PM

actually, that would be Gillispie...douche bag.

samikeyp
04-09-2007, 08:39 PM
He will do well with Gillespie's recruits.....the question is will be can he recruit?

50 cent
04-09-2007, 09:06 PM
Oops....haha.

:lmao

Barry Collier 2001-2006 89-91

You are retarded.

samikeyp
04-09-2007, 09:27 PM

:lol

Pugglekicker_21
04-09-2007, 10:13 PM
any word on that 5 star C that they're supposedly losing?

and it doesnt matter if Beasley will go to K State or not, he's leaving if not after one, then definetly after two years.

the shockers coach will have to basically bring in a sick class after joe jones and the rest of the expierienced Aggs leave. All they're left with is Sloan, I think.

K-State Spur
04-09-2007, 10:21 PM
and it doesnt matter if Beasley will go to K State or not, he's leaving if not after one, then definetly after two years.

yeah, that doesn't matter. will hate only having the best player in the conference for a year...

RonMexico
04-09-2007, 10:34 PM
actually, that would be Gillispie...douche bag.

CaptMike is such an idiot... what a fucking retard.

johngateswhiteley
04-09-2007, 10:59 PM
CaptMike is such an idiot... what a fucking retard.

if its not oklahomo state he tries to shit on it. seriously, he has a major inferiority complex.

Pugglekicker_21
04-10-2007, 06:12 AM
yeah, that doesn't matter. will hate only having the best player in the conference for a year...

did that help texas in the tournament? no. but K state has more experience and Walker, and he was injured for most of the season.

MajorMike
04-10-2007, 07:41 AM
Stilll... thru all of your childish posts and recess bully tactics no one has taken up for this man, just tried to put down someone else.

Such is the fate of your program.

Byrne, the AD, had his mind made up on him before Gillispie left as a replacement. He hires guys with knowledge of Texas recruiting and he dealt with Turgeon for a short while when he was at Oregon as AD.

Turgeon was hired in April 92 and Byrne officially left for Neb in June 92. I'm sure he had lots of dealings with a new assistant basketball coach in summer when there is no school and he was already out the door to a new job.

leemajors
04-10-2007, 07:54 AM
if its not oklahomo state he tries to shit on it. seriously, he has a major inferiority complex.

hypocrisy?

Doug Collins
04-10-2007, 08:21 AM
Stilll... thru all of your childish posts and recess bully tactics no one has taken up for this man, just tried to put down someone else.

Turgeon was hired in April 92 and Byrne officially left for Neb in June 92. I'm sure he had lots of dealings with a new assistant basketball coach in summer when there is no school and he was already out the door to a new job.

Wow, 2-3 months sure seems like a "short while" dipshit. You don't think the AD of a school has some input into or knowledge of the assistant coaches that get hired, or is this another one of your baiting posts while you take a break from World of Warcraft? Get a fucking life. You dont have to work with someone for an extended period of time to get a feeling for the type of person they are. Just like I've never met you but know you're a gigantic douchebag who wastes his life playing World of Warcraft while also acting as a hall monitor on an online message board.

leemajors
04-10-2007, 08:26 AM
32 posts, no turgid jokes.

BeerIsGood!
04-10-2007, 08:34 AM
did that help texas in the tournament? no. but K state has more experience and Walker, and he was injured for most of the season.

Actually it did, because without Durant we probably don't get in the tournament. Not many teams who play 6 fresh with a soph get in the tourney at all. If Aldridge and Gibson had stayed that would have been a potential NC team.

degenerate_gambler
04-10-2007, 08:37 AM
32 posts, no turgid jokes.

Kinda hard to poke fun at somebody that most people have never heard of before.

Wait till he's been aggroidized for awhile....I'm sure the jokes will come.

MajorMike
04-10-2007, 08:47 AM
Wow, 2-3 months sure seems like a "short while" dipshit. You don't think the AD of a school has some input into or knowledge of the assistant coaches that get hired, or is this another one of your baiting posts while you take a break from World of Warcraft? Get a fucking life. You dont have to work with someone for an extended period of time to get a feeling for the type of person they are. Just like I've never met you but know you're a gigantic douchebag who wastes his life playing World of Warcraft while also acting as a hall monitor on an online message board.

K-State Spur
04-10-2007, 09:30 AM

considering that we haven't been to the tournament since '96, UT's second round exit doesn't sound too shabby right now...

RonMexico
04-10-2007, 10:58 AM

Turgeon has more intelligence and loyalty in his pinky finger than you've ever displayed in your entire life.

Doug Collins
04-10-2007, 11:09 AM

Sean Sutton...such is the fate of your program.......

50 cent
04-10-2007, 11:09 AM
any word on that 5 star C that they're supposedly losing?

Where do you get this shit - supposedly losing?? Link?

Of course it matters if Beasley goes to K State for even 1 year. 1 basketball player can make all the difference in the world, even as a freshman.

Just ask Syracuse about Carmelo Anthony and how that worked out for 1 year.

Doug Collins
04-10-2007, 11:13 AM
Where do you get this shit - supposedly losing?? Link?

Of course it matters if Beasley goes to K State for even 1 year. 1 basketball player can make all the difference in the world, even as a freshman.

Just ask Syracuse about Carmelo Anthony and how that worked out for 1 year.

Durant had no impact this year :rolleyes

MajorMike
04-10-2007, 11:59 AM
Turgeon has more intelligence and loyalty in his pinky finger than you've ever displayed in your entire life.

Loyalty... riiight. That must be why he bought himself out of a contract after getting an extension last year.

RonMexico
04-10-2007, 12:37 PM
Well, wouldn't you if you got an offer to head to a Power Conference with good fans and a nice recruiting class coming in? I'm pretty sure you would.

I already have a theory about your lack of intelligence and inferiority complex... it revolves around your failed SAT experience:

You probably missed the 200 for putting your name down right and wrote
"Capt Mike" instead... then disputed the results with the College Board, stating,
"I don't care - I'm going to the best buy in Oklahoma... such is the
state of your organization."

leemajors
04-10-2007, 12:40 PM
college coaches and loyalty don't belong in the same sentence.

RonMexico
04-10-2007, 12:58 PM
college coaches and loyalty don't belong in the same sentence.

Ok - your pithy comments are declining in impact as this thread continues.

Go ahead and say that to Adolph Rupp, Jon Chaney, John Wooden, Eddie Sutton, Henry Iba, Joe Paterno, Bobby Bowden, Frank Kush, Lute Olson, Larry Brown (hahah - just kidding... making sure you were paying attention), Dean Smith, Coach K... do you want me to continue?

Don't bring up Saban, Huggins, etc. because we all know what slimes they are

leemajors
04-10-2007, 01:20 PM
Ok - your pithy comments are declining in impact as this thread continues.

Go ahead and say that to Adolph Rupp, Jon Chaney, John Wooden, Eddie Sutton, Henry Iba, Joe Paterno, Bobby Bowden, Frank Kush, Lute Olson, Larry Brown (hahah - just kidding... making sure you were paying attention), Dean Smith, Coach K... do you want me to continue?

Don't bring up Saban, Huggins, etc. because we all know what slimes they are

college coaches these days switch colleges almost yearly - that's a nice list, but those are coaches from another era when coaches built programs and stuck with them. your obsession with bashing everything capt. mike says is what's declining in impact with every post. he might as well respond with "u mad?" every time.

MajorMike
04-10-2007, 03:09 PM
They refuse to answer that publically. You can assume since they refuse to address the actual issue that, yes, they indeed are.

K-State Spur
04-10-2007, 04:12 PM
Eddie Sutton

Tell that to Arkansas.

Lute Olson

Tell that to Iowa.

Brutalis
04-10-2007, 08:57 PM
Tell that to Arkansas.

Tell that to Iowa.
Sutton was a lot more to Arkansas than Lute to Iowa imo. He basically built a foundation to respect, Iowa led to nothing.

Brutalis
04-10-2007, 09:02 PM
As to ATM hiring Turgeon all I can say is good luck. I'm glad UA passed up for Pelphrey at the least even though both haven't proven shit with a major either. In reality now, I would like a series with AnM like old time. You guys used to take beatings at Barnhill like champs. A new series would be nice with two first time coaches ya know.

50 cent
04-10-2007, 10:04 PM
As to ATM hiring Turgeon all I can say is good luck. I'm glad UA passed up for Pelphrey at the least even though both haven't proven shit with a major either. In reality now, I would like a series with AnM like old time. You guys used to take beatings at Barnhill like champs. A new series would be nice with two first time coaches ya know.
UA didn't pass on Turgeon, he pulled his name from consideration because he wanted to be at A&M.

Turgeon is much better than Pelphrey and was A&M's #1 choice while Pelphrey was UA's 792nd option.

johngateswhiteley
04-10-2007, 10:16 PM
i think its funny, all this talk about Turgeon...dude is a great coach. is he as good as Gillispie?...no. but he's a damn fine coach and he has a lot of talent to work with next year.

...sweet 16, at least.

K-State Spur
04-10-2007, 11:44 PM
i think its funny, all this talk about Turgeon...dude is a great coach. is he as good as Gillispie?...no. but he's a damn fine coach and he has a lot of talent to work with next year.

...sweet 16, at least.

He has yet to prove himself to be great. He did a good job at WSU, breathed life back into the program. But he never made an MVC final, only made one NCAA tournament, and his best season was bookended by heading two teams that enjoyed massive meltdowns in the second half of the season (Sean Sutton style...).

If he achieves greatness, it will be at A&M, because he's not there yet...

RonMexico
04-11-2007, 05:30 AM
I guess I saw fake pictures of him cutting down nets for an MVC championship, then...

RonMexico
04-11-2007, 05:39 AM
college coaches these days switch colleges almost yearly - that's a nice list, but those are coaches from another era when coaches built programs and stuck with them. your obsession with bashing everything capt. mike says is what's declining in impact with every post. he might as well respond with "u mad?" every time.

Yeah, ok, pal.

(1) CaptMike deserves everything he gets on this board, and there's plenty on this board that give him shit.
(2) So we can talk about "eras" of basketball when teams like Kansas and Kentucky racked up Final 4 appearences against no competition in the 40s and 50s, but not when it comes to coaching loyalty? I'll remember that.

Bandwagon Bill
04-11-2007, 07:54 AM
haha, aggie fans will tout anyone they got in there. If they hired Bob Hill they would be touting his record season of 1995 with the Spurs

leemajors
04-11-2007, 08:20 AM
jeffdrums invades the college sports forum!

leemajors
04-11-2007, 08:32 AM
Yeah, ok, pal.

(1) CaptMike deserves everything he gets on this board, and there's plenty on this board that give him shit.
(2) So we can talk about "eras" of basketball when teams like Kansas and Kentucky racked up Final 4 appearences against no competition in the 40s and 50s, but not when it comes to coaching loyalty? I'll remember that.

no, we can consider different eras when speaking about different subjects. the way coaches are hired and how their contracts are honored or broken have changed quite a bit since most of the coaches on your list were hired. everyone deserves to get shit on a board, but making the same stupid post after every one of his posts has become tiresome over, say, well, the last 7 months.

K-State Spur
04-11-2007, 08:53 AM
I guess I saw fake pictures of him cutting down nets for an MVC championship, then...

He won 1 regular season title (and they cut down the nets following that game). In 7 years, he never made it past the semi-finals of the MVC tourney. If there are pictures of him even coaching in an MVC final game, they have been photoshopped.

Brutalis
04-11-2007, 10:37 AM
UA didn't pass on Turgeon, he pulled his name from consideration because he wanted to be at A&M.

Turgeon is much better than Pelphrey and was A&M's #1 choice while Pelphrey was UA's 792nd option.
No, he didn't buddy. He even freaking tried to interview for the job dude. Lay off the smoke. Him, Mike Anderson and Sutton all spoke to the search firm and gave a phone interview before an offer to visit.

Turg isn't better than shit, they both came from shit schools and haven't proven... SHIT.

Tired of replying to ignorant crap in this forum, captmike and a couple others seem to be the only ones with a head screwed on forward on their shoulders.

MajorMike
04-11-2007, 11:09 AM
everyone deserves to get shit on a board, but making the same stupid post after every one of his posts has become tiresome over, say, well, the last 7 months.

Tired of replying to ignorant crap in this forum, captmike and a couple others seem to be the only ones with a head screwed on forward on their shoulders.

Just doin' what I can to make the world a more factual place to live in.

http://www.frot.co.nz/dietnet/images/insanity.jpg

Drive Like Jehu
04-11-2007, 11:10 AM
He won 1 regular season title (and they cut down the nets following that game). In 7 years, he never made it past the semi-finals of the MVC tourney. If there are pictures of him even coaching in an MVC final game, they have been photoshopped.

MVC basketball has been very competitive in recent history. The MVC sent as many teams to the tournament (four) last year, as the B12 did this year.

MajorMike
04-11-2007, 11:14 AM
Very true, and can't take anything away from them. However, it must be noted that the MVC hired a numeroligist to 'break' the NCAA's RPI system and find out how to rank themselves higher last year. I'm in no way saying that their teams got in but didn't deserve it, I'm just saying that last year, they made schedules that were purposely geared to make themselves look more appealing to the selection committee in regards to RPI numbers. So much so that the NCAA made 'secretive' changes to its own formula for this year that dealt with some of the advantages that it perceived the MVC was getting.

degenerate_gambler
04-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Very true, and can't take anything away from them. However, it must be noted that the MVC hired a numeroligist to 'break' the NCAA's RPI system and find out how to rank themselves higher last year. I'm in no way saying that their teams got in but didn't deserve it, I'm just saying that last year, they made schedules that were purposely geared to make themselves look more appealing to the selection committee in regards to RPI numbers. So much so that the NCAA made 'secretive' changes to its own formula for this year that dealt with some of the advantages that it perceived the MVC was getting.

maybe they'll break out a ouija board next season :cooldevil

K-State Spur
04-11-2007, 11:34 AM
MVC basketball has been very competitive in recent history. The MVC sent as many teams to the tournament (four) last year, as the B12 did this year.

Make no mistake, the MVC is quality basketball. And Turgeon had a decent run in the league. He will be missed here in Wichita.

But while I think everybody would agree that he has done a good job with the Shockers, I don't know if anybody can really say that he has done a great job.

Altman, Lowery, and arguably Les have all done a better job with their Valley programs. And McDermott might have been the best of the group before taking the ISU job last year.

Turgeon certainly brings some good things to the table, I'm just a little skeptical of this one for the aggies for the following reasons:

1) He made the tournament once in 7 years. That's solid, but not spectacular.

2) He had two other teams that were locks for the tournament and completely collapsed down the stretch.

3) In terms of fan support, administrative support, facilities, tradition, and proximity to a recruiting base, no other team in the conference could match the combination at WSU. Wichita State SHOULD be competing for Valley titles every year.

4) He hasn't recruited worth a damn in 3 years. The last 2 recruiting classes have produced a back-up PG and that's about it. He got out while the getting was good because WSU is looking at fairly bare cupboard within 2 years.

50 cent
04-11-2007, 02:01 PM
No, he didn't buddy. He even freaking tried to interview for the job dude. Lay off the smoke. Him, Mike Anderson and Sutton all spoke to the search firm and gave a phone interview before an offer to visit.

Turg isn't better than shit, they both came from shit schools and haven't proven... SHIT.

Uh, yes he did withdrawl from consideration - here's the link: (http://sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10117215)

According to a source, the tentative schedule is for Turgeon to see the campus before returning to Wichita State to meet his team and inform them of his decision. He would then be introduced as Billy Gillispie's replacement at a Tuesday press conference back in College Station, this after spending Sunday in contact with both A&M and Arkansas.

According to a source, Turgeon actually pulled out of the Arkansas search Sunday to seriously pursue A&M's opening. Arkansas ultimately turned to South Alabama's John Pelphrey, who accepted an offer and will be introduced as the Hogs' next coach Monday afternoon.

Now who needs to screw their head onto their shoulders? :nope

MajorMike
04-11-2007, 02:12 PM
According to a source

Arkansas fires Heap; eyeing Gillispie

Arkansas fires Heap; eyeing Gillispie

Story Tools:
Print Email Blog This
FOXSports.com
Posted: 3 minutes ago

According to sources within the University of Arkansas athletics program, men's basketball coach Stan Heap was fired Monday, FOXSports.com's Jeff Goodman reported.

Texas A&M coach Billy Gillispie, according to sources, is front runner to replace Heath at Arkansas.
Gillispie has led Texas A&M to a 70-26 record over the past three seasons. The Aggies reached the second round of the NCAA tournament last year and were eliminated in the Sweet 16 this season.

In five seasons at Arkansas, Heath has led the Razorbacks to an 82-71 record. His team reached NCAA tournament last two seasons, losing in the first round both years.

RonMexico
04-11-2007, 02:12 PM
no, we can consider different eras when speaking about different subjects. the way coaches are hired and how their contracts are honored or broken have changed quite a bit since most of the coaches on your list were hired. everyone deserves to get shit on a board, but making the same stupid post after every one of his posts has become tiresome over, say, well, the last 7 months.

Haahaha - such is the state of your stupidity.

50 cent
04-11-2007, 02:15 PM
CaptMike, mine was from CBS that doesn't BS when it comes to sources.

All of us know that FoxSports will report anything off a message board as a "source" whether it be BCG to Arky or Barnes to UK, they have no sources.

CBS, like ESPN, generally have something more concrete if they are going to print it.

leemajors
04-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Haahaha - such is the state of your stupidity.

so you make a baseless, irrelevant correlation between the state of coaching in the NCAA now vs what it was even 10 years ago and final 4 appearances by kansas and kentucky in the whiteout era, and i'm the one that's stupid? niiiice. i expected something more from someone who used "pithy" in proper context.

RonMexico
04-11-2007, 02:25 PM
so you make a baseless, irrelevant correlation between the state of coaching in the NCAA now vs what it was even 10 years ago and final 4 appearances by kansas and kentucky in the whiteout era, and i'm the one that's stupid? niiiice. i expected something more from someone who used "pithy" in proper context.

No, basically that you're sticking up for CaptMike.

Such is the state of your homosexual relationship together.

leemajors
04-11-2007, 02:28 PM
i'm not sticking up for CaptMike, i'm just tired of reading the drivel that follows every one of his posts. CaptMike and i have no history except arguing about baseball for the last 2 years.

RonMexico
04-11-2007, 02:35 PM
However, you seem to attack me for posting "the same thing" even though he will post the same stuff 3 or 4 times in the same thread because he has no valid points to make.

Such is the state of the college forum (I hope you've noticed by now that I've been emulating his BS about the "state of Aggie basketball" from a page or two ago)...

leemajors
04-11-2007, 02:41 PM

All of us know that FoxSports will report anything off a message board as a "source" whether it be BCG to Arky or Barnes to UK, they have no sources.

CBS, like ESPN, generally have something more concrete if they are going to print it.

ESPN, like any other news outlet, runs with "sources" then amends it later when something is officially released. "sources say" doesn't mean too much, especially when the source isn't named.

K-State Spur
04-11-2007, 02:53 PM

I don't think that any company that employs Dennis Dodd is immune from the BS classification.

Brutalis
04-11-2007, 04:35 PM
Uh, yes he did withdrawl from consideration - here's the link: (http://sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10117215)

Now who needs to screw their head onto their shoulders? :nope

"According to a source"

So take a guess upon yourself how many times Arkansas has heard that in the last oh say, 6 months or so. GM was fired, two 5 stars left us over it, Nutt cheated on his wife, Heath gets canned, JFB is retiring.. it goes on

Seriously.

Now as light of a subject Turg is to me, I know he was never in the top 3 of any list Arkansas' search firm had. And Calipari had much more of a chance of taking the job than him anyways. And to render my point again, he has a 'hearsay' background thus far just like JP. Pitino, Lute, Knight, Calipari, Williams and more all attended last weekends Hoops on the Hill event feature high schoolers and all claimed Arkansas is still a top 10 job in basketball.

50 cent
04-11-2007, 08:12 PM
Sure....Arkie is a top 10 job....keep telling yourself that.

I guess that's why they almost had to start considering women's basketball and high school coaches.

Go read your own forum, Hogville.net and you will see that the Arkie fans have come to the realization that it's no longer a destination job.