PDA

View Full Version : Charley Rosen 0n the Spurs. Funny Sarcasm

Tbiggums
04-09-2007, 08:12 AM
This is a response to a blogger from Phoenix in reference to The Spurs defensive ability: I thought it was right on the money...Not to mention down right sarcastically funny. Enjoy! :dizzy

A-Rod from Phoenix:
Allow me to say that the Spurs are an excellent defensive team, but only when Duncan is on the floor. Without him they are an average defensive team. This revelation can be exploited by any team that runs and has quick forwards who can take it to the hole. Okay, the Spurs will stay home on the shooters, but eventually Duncan will have to sit either because he tires out or gets into foul trouble. My heart truly aches for any Spurs fans who must endure the boring "basketball fundamentals camp" night in and night out. I know it works and they win, but it must be tough to watch.— A Rod, Phoenix.

Rosen from Fox Sports:
Allow me to say that the Suns are an excellent offensive team, but only when Nash is on the floor. Anyhow, it's ludicrous to think that (given a Phoenix-San Antonio playoff matchup) the Suns will be able to take control of any game during the six minutes or so that Duncan will be on the bench. What about the other 42 minutes? And even without Duncan, the Spurs are still much better defensively than the Mavs. But the kicker in your question is your feeling that the Spurs play "boring" basketball. I guess entertainment is more important to you than winning. This is an extremely superficial view of the game, one however, that has been earnestly promoted by David Stern and his bottom line minions.

There's no question that Nash and company are supremely talented in certain aspects of the game. And watching them can certainly be fun — especially when regular-season opponents lack the time to fully prepare to play them. But teams that don't defend and can't play effective half-court offense do not win championships. And winning championships is what the game is all about. Harum-scarum hoops appeals to know-nothing (or, to be charitable, know-little) fans. It's an easy sell from November to April. But a hard sell in June

DarrinS
04-09-2007, 08:26 AM
:clap

maldita21
04-09-2007, 08:27 AM
My heart truly aches for any Spurs fans who must endure the boring "basketball fundamentals camp" night in and night out. I know it works and they win, but it must be tough to watch.— A Rod, Phoenix.

My heart truly aches for any Suns fan who endure the "run n gun" offense balanced by lowly defense leading to disappointments in the playoffs year in and year out. I know it don't work and they lose, so it must really be tough to watch. :dramaquee

DarrinS
04-09-2007, 08:31 AM
For those that like to watch the Mavs and Suns run back and forth and trade jump shots, I've got a mean game of HORSE going on this afternoon. :lol

LilMissSPURfect
04-09-2007, 10:31 AM
"fight the power !"

nkdlunch
04-09-2007, 10:37 AM
Suns suck defensively and even more with Nash on the floor.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-09-2007, 10:40 AM
And if just for a little while, I didn't hate Charlie Rosen.

degenerate_gambler
04-09-2007, 10:45 AM
And if just for a little while, I didn't hate Charlie Rosen.

exactly

Extra Stout
04-09-2007, 11:18 AM
When Charley Rosen can defensibly call you out as an idiot, it's hard to sink any lower.

wildbill2u
04-09-2007, 11:25 AM
Actually, the Suns defense has gotten better. Who can dispute that since it started at virtually ground zero?

That being said, I thought they did a pretty good job on the Lakers the other night. Granted, the Lakers are probably where they should be in the standings, but Kobe didn't go off for 50 against Raja Bell, a all-NBA quality defender.

Nash, their leader, has said he (and by inference the team) needed to play better defense this year if they were going to win it all. I think they are playing better--and always have that damned Nash running a high-octane offense. They will not go down quietly and without a tough battle this year.

Look for some great playoffs in the WC.

rayray2k8
04-09-2007, 12:04 PM
wow..
I thought he was a spur hater.
Guess he still is, but point well taken.

dbreiden83080
04-09-2007, 12:38 PM
My heart truly aches for any Spurs fans who must endure the boring "basketball fundamentals camp" night in and night out. I know it works and they win, but it must be tough to watch.— A Rod, Phoenix.

Yeah my heart was aching like crazy after we waxed the Suns in 5 games and went on to the title in 05. Took me just months to get over that anguish.

rocyaice
04-09-2007, 12:38 PM
Owned

SpursWoman
04-09-2007, 12:44 PM

My heart truly aches for fans who are teased and tortured year after year, when their favorite team has consistantly had either the best record or close to the best for the last couple of years, but has yet to be able to experience the fan-gasm that only a championship can bring.

dbreiden83080
04-09-2007, 01:09 PM
My heart truly aches for fans who are teased and tortured year after year, when their favorite team has consistantly had either the best record or close to the best for the last couple of years, but has yet to be able to experience the fan-gasm that only a championship can bring.

Exactly their whole system is designed to pray all year long on the teams in the league that don't play a lick of Defense. Once they have to get into a tight series with a team like the Spurs they are dead. If by some miracle they got by the Spurs in 05 that Piston team would have taken them apart with the way they played D. It will be the same thing this year a great regular season followed by another early playoff exit and the fans scratching their heads wondering why their oh so fun to watch Suns can't get over the hump.

whottt
04-09-2007, 01:27 PM
There's just one problem...the Spurs aren't boring, any more, and that entire take is based on teams from 5 years ago.

Manu and Parker are among the most fun players to watch in the NBA, and the Spurs problems now are that they probably try to run too much...

I want us to go back to being a little more boring.

Anyone that says the Spurs are boring, isn't watching them much. And this includes Rosen, who, in spite of defending the Spurs, still managed to perpetuate the boring myth.

Manu wasn't boring when he dropped 48 on their asses a couple of years ago. Neither were Brent Barry's 3 point bonanzas in the closing minutes of Suns games.

thispego
04-09-2007, 01:33 PM
There's just one problem...the Spurs aren't boring, any more, and that entire take is based on teams from 5 years ago.

Manu and Parker are among the most fun players to watch in the NBA, and the Spurs problems now are that they probably try to run too much...

Anyone that says the Spurs are boring, isn't watching them much. And this includes Rosen, who, in spite of defending the Spurs, still managed to perpetuate the boring myth.

Manu wasn't boring when he dropped 48 on their asses a couple of years ago. Neither were Brent Barry's 3 point bonanzas in the closing minutes of Suns games.
exactly... dumbasses
just regurgitating the drivel they hear on espn

Cry Havoc
04-09-2007, 01:36 PM

Maybe it's just because I'm a Spurs fan, but watching Bowen block that Billups shot was the epitome of exciting basketball. :santahat

whottt
04-09-2007, 01:40 PM
:tu Pego

I don't think Duncan is boring...his game isn't boring to me. He can run, he can finish, he throws down momentum changing dunks...and guy can pass on the break like few bigs in league history. Duncan's game is so polished in every aspect...boring is a bad word to describe it. Too smooth for his own good is a better description...makes it look too easy is another good one, but boring, I just don't agree with that.

The Spurs boring tag nowdays has more to do with the fact that other teams fans are sick of seeing their teams get owned.

I gurantee you the players charged with the task of defending Duncan aren't bored by him.

whottt
04-09-2007, 01:44 PM
What do the Suns do that's so exciting anyway?

Run, Nash kicks out to a 3 shooter, run back, give up basket, get ball, run, Nash kicks it out to a 3 shooter.

Repetition is boring...the Spurs can play just about any style of ball and you never know what you are going to get from them(unless it's in the closing minutes of a close game, then you are getting small ball).

mabber
04-09-2007, 01:46 PM
This is a response to a blogger from Phoenix in reference to The Spurs defensive ability: I thought it was right on the money...Not to mention down right sarcastically funny. Enjoy! :dizzy

A-Rod from Phoenix:
Allow me to say that the Spurs are an excellent defensive team, but only when Duncan is on the floor. Without him they are an average defensive team. This revelation can be exploited by any team that runs and has quick forwards who can take it to the hole. Okay, the Spurs will stay home on the shooters, but eventually Duncan will have to sit either because he tires out or gets into foul trouble. My heart truly aches for any Spurs fans who must endure the boring "basketball fundamentals camp" night in and night out. I know it works and they win, but it must be tough to watch.— A Rod, Phoenix.

Rosen from Fox Sports:
Allow me to say that the Suns are an excellent offensive team, but only when Nash is on the floor. Anyhow, it's ludicrous to think that (given a Phoenix-San Antonio playoff matchup) the Suns will be able to take control of any game during the six minutes or so that Duncan will be on the bench. What about the other 42 minutes? And even without Duncan, the Spurs are still much better defensively than the Mavs. But the kicker in your question is your feeling that the Spurs play "boring" basketball. I guess entertainment is more important to you than winning. This is an extremely superficial view of the game, one however, that has been earnestly promoted by David Stern and his bottom line minions.

There's no question that Nash and company are supremely talented in certain aspects of the game. And watching them can certainly be fun — especially when regular-season opponents lack the time to fully prepare to play them. But teams that don't defend and can't play effective half-court offense do not win championships. And winning championships is what the game is all about. Harum-scarum hoops appeals to know-nothing (or, to be charitable, know-little) fans. It's an easy sell from November to April. But a hard sell in June

Good stuff!

While I believe the Spurs are the better defensive teams(stats bear it out), I don't think the Spurs are "much better" defensively than the Mavs. We will see in the playoffs though.

whottt
04-09-2007, 01:48 PM
Good stuff!

While I believe the Spurs are the better defensive teams(stats bear it out), I don't think the Spurs are "much better" defensively than the Mavs. We will see in the playoffs though.

We're much better than you defensively....just not when we play against you. Then we turn into the Suns.

That's by design...Aj designed the Mavs offense to not be dependent on passing(the best part of the Spurs D is it's ability to disrupt passing)...year after year the Spurs are among the best in fewest opp assists allowed per game...

Under AJ the Mavs have become much more of a one on one team not realiant on passing and ball movement like the Nelly Mavs....their assist totals bear this out easily(no doub Nash leaving had a little to do with it, but not that much). Since the Mavs are not dependent on passing, especially compared to the other elite teams, the Spurs ability to disrupt passing is not as much of a factor against them...and thus our D is weaker.

Day in and day out though, the Spurs are still in a league of their own defensively...maybe the Bulls come close...Destroit doesn't anymore, now that they've been flipped.

mabber
04-09-2007, 01:51 PM
We're much better than you defensively....just not when we play against you. Then we turn into the Suns.

That's all that matters :p:

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-09-2007, 01:53 PM
Good stuff!

:tu The gap has shrunk considerably since back in the day. Rosen writes so much about the NBA today that was correct five years ago. Perhaps he has a time machine and just submits his articles electronically from the past.

Tbiggums
04-09-2007, 01:57 PM
Good stuff!

I agree. although b/c the Spurs are a veteran team. I give the edge to them for defensive detail. Other than that..... :toast It's a toss up....I can't wait to see what happens.

Cry Havoc
04-09-2007, 02:00 PM

That's by design...Aj designed the Mavs offense to not be dependent on passing(the best part of the Spurs D is it's ability to disrupt passing)...year after year the Spurs are among the best in fewest opp assists allowed per game...

Under AJ the Mavs have become much more of a one on one team not realiant on passing and ball movement like the Nelly Mavs....their assist totals bear this out easily(no doub Nash leaving had a little to do with it, but not that much). Since the Mavs are not dependent on passing, especially compared to the other elite teams, the Spurs ability to disrupt passing is not as much of a factor against them...and thus our D is weaker.

Day in and day out though, the Spurs are still in a league of their own defensively...maybe the Bulls come close...Destroit doesn't anymore, now that they've been flipped.

Detroit's been pretty tough since the coming of Webber. Don't sleep on them.

whottt
04-09-2007, 02:07 PM
If Webber makes them tougher? They have huge toughness problems.

No statistically their D is still excellent, but it's not as good as it once was, especially now that Wallace is gone.

Cry Havoc
04-09-2007, 02:15 PM
If Webber makes them tougher? They have huge toughness problems.

No statistically their D is still excellent, but it's not as good as it once was, especially now that Wallace is gone.

Agreed. I just think they're exactly where they want to be right now, playing quietly with little hype, and yet they are the only elite team in the East right now. I'd put them 4th in the league, maybe 3rd over the Suns at the moment.

Hillcrest
04-09-2007, 02:43 PM

A-Rod from Phoenix:

Rosen from Fox Sports:

Suns fans do not impress me at all. My least favorite fans in the NBA. They are absurd.

The Spurs out-ran the Suns in their own damn "fast-paced, exciting" game in last year's playoffs. The Spurs are boring talk is about 5 years out of touch.

mabber
04-09-2007, 02:46 PM
Suns fans do not impress me at all. My least favorite fans in the NBA. They are absurd.

The Spurs out-ran the Suns in their own damn "fast-paced, exciting" game in last year's playoffs. The Spurs are boring talk is about 5 years out of touch.

I don't recall the Spurs & Suns playing each other in last year's playoffs.

Hillcrest
04-09-2007, 02:50 PM
I don't recall the Spurs & Suns playing each other in last year's playoffs.

My bad...2005 playoffs. We won in 5 at their own game.

I tend to block out last year. :)

da_suns_fan__
04-09-2007, 02:58 PM

Yeah..im sure everyone around the country always remembers to TIVO Spurs games. :rolleyes

Btw - The Spurs/Nets was the most boring/unwatchable series to ever hit the hardwood. That was less than four years ago.

Mixability
04-09-2007, 03:08 PM
Yeah..im sure everyone around the country always remembers to TIVO Spurs games. :rolleyes

Btw - The Spurs/Nets was the most boring/unwatchable series to ever hit the hardwood. That was less than four years ago.

pssst. here's a secret. It's more exciting for fans who actually have their team in the Finals to root for. I'm guessing maybe thats why you were bored.

ShoogarBear
04-09-2007, 04:20 PM
Well, now you understand why Sun Fan thinks Steve Nash is an MVP.

dbreiden83080
04-09-2007, 04:21 PM

Yeah and the Nets were a big reason for that. They are a disaster of a franchise. I should know i live in NY and it is running joke in the papers how nobody ever shows up to watch the Nets play nomatter who is coming to town. That is why they are moving to Booklyn in the hopes of salvaging the franchise. If the Suns played the Nets a few years back the ratings would not have been much better. The ratings for the Spurs/Pistons final were much higher than the Nets final and i remember Game 7 got a huge rating.

whottt
04-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Agreed. I just think they're exactly where they want to be right now, playing quietly with little hype, and yet they are the only elite team in the East right now. I'd put them 4th in the league, maybe 3rd over the Suns at the moment.

And no offense, but I think they have Flip Saunders as their coach...whicvh means they don't have anyone right where they want them...that means everyone else has them right where they want them...with Flip Coaching...

There is no better gurantee of inevitable playoff disappointment than having Flip Saunders as your coach...regardless of record.

ehz33satx
04-09-2007, 04:48 PM
That's all that matters :p:

All that matters is the championship, which your team has never had a taste of. What makes the Mavs fans think they are in the same class as the Spurs? Win your first trophy then come and talk smack on a Spurs forum.

mabber
04-09-2007, 04:57 PM
All that matters is the championship, which your team has never had a taste of. What makes the Mavs fans think they are in the same class as the Spurs? Win your first trophy then come and talk smack on a Spurs forum.

Wasn't tallking smack.