PDA

View Full Version : Seedings after tonight.

SpursDynasty
04-10-2007, 12:29 AM
1. Dallas
2. Phoenix
3. San Antonio
4. Houston (How did that happen???)
5. Utah
6. Denver
7. Lakers
8. Golden State

Dallas vs GS, Phoenix v s Lakers, SA vs Denver, Houston vs Utah

Great set of series' if the seedings stay like this. As long as GS doesn't let the Clippers back into the 8 seed, these match-ups will all happen.

Something is definitely not right if Houston has HCA in the first round. It's a shame what's happened to Utah. We can't have Houston be one of the top 4 seeds, that just isn't right.

Bandwagon Bill
04-10-2007, 01:41 AM
1. Dallas
2. Phoenix
3. San Antonio
4. Houston (How did that happen???)
5. Utah
6. Denver
7. Lakers
8. Golden State

Dallas vs GS, Phoenix v s Lakers, SA vs Denver, Houston vs Utah

Great set of series' if the seedings stay like this. As long as GS doesn't let the Clippers back into the 8 seed, these match-ups will all happen.

Something is definitely not right if Houston has HCA in the first round. It's a shame what's happened to Utah. We can't have Houston be one of the top 4 seeds, that just isn't right.

why not? The Rockets are playing better ball in the end and deserve the 4 spot if they get it. What's not right about that?

schadenfreude52
04-10-2007, 01:44 AM
Um, what?

It's impossible for the Rockets to have the fourth seed (but possible for them to have HCA against Utah in the first round). The Jazz won their division and automatically is guaranteed one of the top four seeds...

SAtown
04-10-2007, 01:46 AM
Um, what?

It's impossible for the Rockets to have the fourth seed (but possible for them to have HCA against Utah in the first round). The Jazz won their division and automatically is guaranteed one of the top four seeds...
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63806

schadenfreude52
04-10-2007, 02:04 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63806

Are you trying to counter me? That thread just proves my point. Division winners are guaranteed a top four seeding. Other than that, rest goes by record.

http://www.nba.com/features/seedingprimer07.html

And I think I see where the poster's confusion comes from. NBA.com has Houston listed as a fourth seed, which, unless there was a last minute rule change, is a typo.

Admidave50
04-10-2007, 02:24 AM
Man, you've been redundant with your posts/threads for a long time now.

We all got it that for you Utah>Houston and that you are not surprised that the Spurs are that good now while a lot of posters were bashing the Spurs for being mediocre in January.

But you don't need to make a new thread everytime to give us your same ol opinion.

boutons_
04-10-2007, 04:59 AM
Both standings page below have correct W/L for Jazz and Rockets, but:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/standings has Jazz at 4th (based on division winner?)

http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Std_Cnf.html has Rockets at 4th (based on winning %age)

TxJudsonRocketTx
04-10-2007, 05:09 AM
Are you trying to counter me? That thread just proves my point. Division winners are guaranteed a top four seeding. Other than that, rest goes by record.

http://www.nba.com/features/seedingprimer07.html

And I think I see where the poster's confusion comes from. NBA.com has Houston listed as a fourth seed, which, unless there was a last minute rule change, is a typo.

Just because they have a 1-4 seed does not mean they have HCA, that depends on the record, why not try reading up on it?

schadenfreude52
04-10-2007, 08:17 AM
Just because they have a 1-4 seed does not mean they have HCA, that depends on the record, why not try reading up on it?

I never said that it did. In fact, in my first post in this thread I said that Houston did have HCA at the moment. I was just trying to point out the incorrect rankings.

FromWayDowntown
04-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Golden State isn't actually the 8th seed, either. The Warriors have more losses than the Clippers do -- and that is the only thing that matters at this point. When (if) the Clippers take their 40th loss, then they're in a tie-breaker scenario with GST; at least until GST takes its 41st loss. Regardless, as long as the Clippers have fewer losses than the Warriors, the Clippers are really the 8th seed.

LEONARD
04-10-2007, 09:15 AM
Damnit...the Mavs are screwed...GS is better than the Mavs...according to SpursDynasty at least :lol

ducks
04-10-2007, 09:26 AM
Eight is great: Warriors beat Utah, tie Clippers
Janny Hu, Chronicle Staff Writer

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Should this be the year their postseason drought finally ends, the Warriors will look back on Monday as perhaps the most pivotal day of the season. The Warriors blew out the Utah Jazz at Oracle Arena, but just as important was what happened in Dallas, where the Los Angeles Clippers lost.

No matter how many games the Warriors win down the stretch, they will not make the playoffs without the Clippers, who have dropped two straight, losing at least two more times.

Because the Clippers fell to Dallas just hours before the Warriors put the finishing touches on a 126-102 romp over the Jazz, their playoff hopes gained a huge double-boost.

Though the Warriors (38-40) hold a percentage points lead for the eighth and final playoff spot at the moment, they will most likely have to finish a game ahead of the Clippers (37-39), who currently own the tiebreaker because of their better division record.

So the Warriors' focus remains the same: Win their last four games, and let the basketball gods decide their fate.

"If we win out and we don't make it," swingman Stephen Jackson said, "Ain't nothing we can do."

Golden State has now won 12 of its last 17 while Utah has lost 10 of 15, and Jackson did just about everything to help his team smoke the struggling Jazz. He led all scorers with 28 points and added seven rebounds and five assists.

Al Harrington posted his first double-double in more than a month with 15 points and 11 rebounds, and Matt Barnes came off the bench to score 16 points.

To top it off, Monta Ellis (16 points on 7-of-13 shooting) even thumped Deron Williams (4 points on 1-of-8 shooting) in the ongoing race for to be named the league's Most Improved Player.

As for their teams, Monday's game turned in the second quarter, when the Warriors held the Jazz scoreless for eight straight possessions and without a field goal for nearly 10 minutes.

After Matt Harpring hit a fadeaway jumper with 10:02 to go, Utah missed 10 consecutive shots before an Ellis turnover led to Harpring's fastbreak layup with 1:07 left. Golden State used a 30-9 run to overcome a sluggish start.

The Warriors led by as many as 32 points in thrilling a home crowd that didn't have much to cheer for earlier. The first quarter was marked by nonstop whistle-blowing as the teams combined for 15 fouls and 22 free-throw attempts before the pace picked up.

Part of that was spurred by the announcement that the Clippers had lost to Dallas 96-86, which also roused the crowd of 17,463 into action. Their spirited chants went from "De-fense, de-fense" to "Utah Sucks" to "We Want Foyle" to "Playoffs, Playoffs" by the end of the game.

The only chant missing was the one that matters most to the playoff race. And one the Warriors and their fans still need some help on: "Beat L.A."

Briefly: Jackson said his criminal trial, originally scheduled to begin Thursday in Indianapolis, will again be pushed back so he can finish the Warriors' season without interruption. A spokesman for the Marion County prosecution's office confirmed that a motion for continuance was filed, but did not immediately know if it had been granted. Jackson, who faces up to five years in prison for firing gun shots into the air outside a strip club in October, had mixed emotions about the delay. "I got a good feeling that it's going to be alright," he said. "But at the same time, I've been waiting a long time to get it over with." ... League officials said there would be no further action against Barnes for his flagrant-2 foul on San Antonio's James White. ... Harrington received the NBA's Community Assist Award for March and is planning several more charity events in his native New Jersey and the Bay Area next year.

LEONARD
04-10-2007, 09:38 AM
Yep...GS is down one in the loss column AND doesn't have tie-breaker...basically 2 games out of the 8th spot...

SpursDynasty
04-10-2007, 12:42 PM
Dallas is better than GS *overall*. But when it's those teams against each other, GS is the better team. How do I know? Dallas is 1-5 since beginning of '05-'06 season vs GS. Easy math. How do you argue with math?

When it's just Dallas vs GS, GS is the better team when its those two vs each other, but not overall.

LEONARD
04-10-2007, 12:55 PM
Dallas is better than GS *overall*. But when it's those teams against each other, GS is the better team. How do I know? Dallas is 1-5 since beginning of '05-'06 season vs GS. Easy math. How do you argue with math?

When it's just Dallas vs GS, GS is the better team when its those two vs each other, but not overall.

At least you admit that Dallas is better overall...

but that 1-5 doesn't mean jack going into a 7 game series...

Mar 12, 2007 - gotta give the Warriors credit for being on fire in that game
Nov 6, 2006 - AJ & Jet ejected, Howard sprains ankle, Mavs miss a 3 to tie at the end.
Apr 12, 2006 - 12 pt loss...props to GS
Mar 23, 2006 - JRich hits a 40 footer at the buzzer to win 122-121
Jan 25, 2006 - Mavs won by 9
Dec 30, 2005 - Baron Davis game winner with 5 seconds to play, Mavs missed tying shot

3 of the 5 losses came down to the final shot, including the desperation 40 footer. You make it sound like GS has dominated the Mavs for the past 2 seasons. They've just gotten some late game breaks, although I DO give them credit for their late game shots (except the running, spinning, 40 footer :lol )

lol..."easy math"...you're funny Jeff... :lol

milkyway21
04-10-2007, 09:15 PM
oh no, Oklahoma is making the Clips' playoff hopes a non-reality. Still struggling in the last 3 min of the 4th tonight.

i think the Warriors are so tense right now :D

jaespur21
04-10-2007, 09:19 PM
did yall hear the nuggets moved up to the 6th spot

ducks
04-10-2007, 10:16 PM
clippers lose
40 losses now

boutons_
04-10-2007, 10:23 PM
Warriors now have even more motivation to win out their last 4 games.

@SAC

MIN

Can Warriors womp Mavs twice in a row @Oakland?
Will Avery keep resting some starters?

@POR

==============

Clips have

@LAkers
POR
SAC
@PHX
NOK

Wow, that's quite nose-and-nose to the finish.

ducks
04-10-2007, 10:26 PM
lakers will want to win
suns may or maynot

avery is stupid resting players this early
dirk not even going to min is stupid
is dirk to good to
he gets paid 180 k to stay home and suck his thumb

picnroll
04-10-2007, 10:26 PM
Fact is GS matches up well against the Mavs no matter how Mavs' fans scoff and spin.

milkyway21
04-10-2007, 10:55 PM
lakers will want to win
suns may or maynot

avery is stupid resting players this early
dirk not even going to min is stupid
is dirk to good to
he gets paid 180 k to stay home and suck his thumb:lol

what's wrong with you ducks? are you sleepy?
:lmao

if GS make the playoffs i expect a lot of drama from Cuban again. Unless of course they win the 1st 2 games.

ducks
04-10-2007, 11:04 PM
cuban and avery play the starters against gs(last game of the regular season) and play to win that game
it means they are scared chickens and should be called out for it