PDA

View Full Version : Durant to enter NBA draft

Cry Havoc
04-10-2007, 11:38 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2007/news/story?id=2831655

Which lottery team will likely benefit the most from having him?

AFBlue
04-10-2007, 11:41 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2007/news/story?id=2831655

Which lottery team will likely benefit the most from having him?

Never believed he WASN'T coming out....too much money to pass up. I also hear that his agent will be the guy who represented Lebron James when he inked his first shoe deal.

I think Oden also declares, making Durant the likely #2, but it's hard to say with the draft lottery which team will benefit. Bottom line, ANY team will benefit from having this kid....instant star.

mardigan
04-10-2007, 11:42 AM
Look in the college forum

AFBlue
04-10-2007, 11:44 AM

Mardy, it affects the NBA probably more than it does college. There's also mention of it in the Future Draft Picks thread in the Spurs Forum....it's big news in alot of different areas.

mardigan
04-10-2007, 11:46 AM
Mardy, it affects the NBA probably more than it does college. There's also mention of it in the Future Draft Picks thread in the Spurs Forum....it's big news in alot of different areas.
No, Im not saying it belongs there, just that there is already a thread there

Cry Havoc

Fewer people read the college forums. Durant's impact will obviously be in the NBA now, so perhaps people would like to discuss it here as well.

mardigan
How is the fact that a player declaring that he will be in an NBA uniform next year more of an impact on college and less on the pros?
Look up a post

Cry Havoc
04-10-2007, 11:47 AM
Look up a post

Yeah, I edited. :toast

bdictjames
04-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Probably worried about having a less-good career next season and that will ruin his chacnes to be one of the top in the draft. I think the Grizz could need him, they need his defense to replace Battier.

Kobulingam
04-10-2007, 01:20 PM
Durant better bulk up a lot this summer.

I think he can add 15+ lbs easily since beginner gains come quickly.

mardigan
04-10-2007, 01:28 PM
Durant better bulk up a lot this summer.

I think he can add 15+ lbs easily since beginner gains come quickly.
Well he added about 10 pounds during the season this year, so I dont see with the NBA strength coaches why he cant put on that kind of weight quickly, I just wonder if it will disrupt his game. His news conference will be on at 4 or 5

Kobulingam
04-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Well he added about 10 pounds during the season this year, so I dont see with the NBA strength coaches why he cant put on that kind of weight quickly, I just wonder if it will disrupt his game. His news conference will be on at 4 or 5

He put on 10? So he was all bones when he entered university?

DAMN.

mardigan
04-10-2007, 01:36 PM
He put on 10? So he was all bones when he entered university?

DAMN.
When he first got there he was, he looked like he was going to break. But he put on enough that during the season he was able to bang a little more, and not get pushed around

Findog
04-10-2007, 01:38 PM
Never believed he WASN'T coming out....too much money to pass up. I also hear that his agent will be the guy who represented Lebron James when he inked his first shoe deal.

I think Oden also declares, making Durant the likely #2, but it's hard to say with the draft lottery which team will benefit. Bottom line, ANY team will benefit from having this kid....instant star.

It's impossible to determine who will go first until draft order is set. Memphis will almost certainly take Oden whereas Boston would take Durant. You can slide Pierce over to shooting guard and deal Szceralkbjal;dkgjal;dgjq;liak in a salary dump to make room.

JamStone
04-10-2007, 01:41 PM
If Milwaukee ends up drafting Kevin Durant, they would be one of the best offensive teams in the league next year.

If Portland landed Durant, they would be a very interesting team as well.

If Philly got Durant, I think they could win the Atlantic Division (not that impressive a feat) as long as they also got a steady (doesn't have to be great) power forward.

If it ends up being either Boston or Memphis, I don't think he would help either team get that much better.

mardigan
04-10-2007, 01:43 PM
If Milwaukee ends up drafting Kevin Durant, they would be one of the best offensive teams in the league next year.

If Portland landed Durant, they would be a very interesting team as well.

If Philly got Durant, I think they could win the Atlantic Division (not that impressive a feat) as long as they also got a steady (doesn't have to be great) power forward.

If it ends up being either Boston or Memphis, I don't think he would help either team get that much better.
See, I think he would help Boston a lot. Put him with Pierce and Jefferson, they could be one of the better teams in the East. I really just think that whichever team drafts him will have a future superstar

Kobulingam
04-10-2007, 01:59 PM
When he first got there he was, he looked like he was going to break. But he put on enough that during the season he was able to bang a little more, and not get pushed around

This doesn't sound too good. I thought he never worked out and that he could add weight easily. But you're telling me he came into univ. as a skeleton and worked to add 10 lbs. over a year. This tells me any futher gains won't come as fast and he'll probably be a skinny player (relative to NBA) for his career.

And if he does work extra hard to add more weight (supplements, diet, rigorous training), it will probably be too unnatural for him (his frame).

Livingston had a lot of talent but struggled to gain weight and _keep it on_ (thus got injured a lot in NBA). Hopefully Durant avoids this plight.

mardigan
04-10-2007, 02:02 PM
This doesn't sound too good. I thought he never worked out and that he could add weight easily. But you're telling me he came into univ. as a skeleton and worked to add 10 lbs. over a year. This tells me any futher gains won't come as fast and he'll probably be a skinny player (relative to NBA) for his career.

And if he does work extra hard to add more weight (supplements, diet, rigorous training), it will probably be too unnatural for him (his frame).

Livingston had a lot of talent but struggled to gain weight and _keep it on_ (thus got injured a lot in NBA). Hopefully Durant avoids this plight.
His upper body didnt change much, it was more in his lower body. I dont think he will have trouble adding weight.I really dont think they wanted to add to much weight in his upper body for fear that it would affect his overall game. I think he will be fine as far as adding weight, but I really dont know how much extra weight up top will affect his game

mardigan
04-10-2007, 02:06 PM
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s79/sethhoward/1143622722.jpg
Here is a pic before he got to Texas

Kobulingam
04-10-2007, 02:07 PM
His upper body didnt change much, it was more in his lower body. I dont think he will have trouble adding weight.I really dont think they wanted to add to much weight in his upper body for fear that it would affect his overall game. I think he will be fine as far as adding weight, but I really dont know how much extra weight up top will affect his game

Whatever the answer to the last question is, he still _has_ to add weight to his upperbody.

What if he's caught on the low block guarding Dwight Howard in a mismatch? Those bowling ball sized shoulders ramming the middle of his chest. This is the NBA- no skinny people allowed (Jonathan Bender, Shaun Livingston, Lauren Woods, etc. etc.).

mardigan
04-10-2007, 02:08 PM
Whatever the answer to the last question is, he still _has_ to add weight to his upperbody.

What if he's caught on the low block guarding Dwight Howard in a mismatch? Those bowling ball sized shoulders ramming the middle of his chest. This is the NBA- no skinny people allowed (Jonathan Bender, Shaun Livingston, Lauren Woods, etc. etc.).
Ah yes, but what about the Garnetts, or Chandlers?

Kobulingam
04-10-2007, 02:11 PM
Ah yes, but what about the Garnetts, or Chandlers?

They're strong enough (esp Garnett). These two pack a lot of muscle in a small amount of space. Wiry strong is the term I believe.

If Durant can stay injury free long enough to build his body upto that level he should be okay. I still think it's better for him to stay in college for a year to bulk up a bit more.

JamStone
04-10-2007, 02:15 PM
Tayshaun Prince, Kevin Martin, Marcus Camby (although injury proned), Chris Bosh, Jamal Crawford, Andrei Kirilenko, Samuel Dalembert ....

A few very effective NBA players who remain skinny. Adding muscle is definitely something Durant needs to do. But, as for adding much weight, it won't be that necessary, especially since he's projected to be a small forward. Look at someone like Tracy McGrady, who still weighs about 210-215. Durant can get stronger without building too much mass. If he gets caught on a switch guarding Dwight Howard, then Dwight Howard wins that mismatch. Switches happen all the time in the NBA. Durant's team will just have to make sure it doesn't happen too often. It's not like Durant will be the first ever small forward to be switched on a power forward/center and not be able to stop him. It happens.

Durant may need to add a little more weight, but it's more muscle/strength than it is is actually adding weight/bulk that is important.

mardigan
04-10-2007, 02:20 PM
Tayshaun Prince, Kevin Martin, Marcus Camby (although injury proned), Chris Bosh, Jamal Crawford, Andrei Kirilenko, Samuel Dalembert ....

A few very effective NBA players who remain skinny. Adding muscle is definitely something Durant needs to do. But, as for adding much weight, it won't be that necessary, especially since he's projected to be a small forward. Look at someone like Tracy McGrady, who still weighs about 210-215. Durant can get stronger without building too much mass. If he gets caught on a switch guarding Dwight Howard, then Dwight Howard wins that mismatch. Switches happen all the time in the NBA. Durant's team will just have to make sure it doesn't happen too often. It's not like Durant will be the first ever small forward to be switched on a power forward/center and not be able to stop him. It happens.

Durant may need to add a little more weight,but it's more muscle/strength than it is is actually adding weight/bulk that is important.
Very good points JS, I think that he will be able to compete with stronger players. During this season alone, I watched him matchup with much thicker stronger players like Boggans and Kaviloscus from A@M and he held his own. If his core strength gets better, and he keeps getting his legs stronger he will be fine

Kobulingam
04-10-2007, 02:34 PM
You guys are right. Size doesn't matter, just strength.

If Durant become stronger, then he will be fine. I was just shocked about the "gained 10 lbs. in college" fact. That's beginner gains, so any further muscle will be harder to add.

All those other players you guys mentioned actually gained a lot of muscles since entering the NBA. They came in like Durant and gained enough to compete in the NBA (even Prince is much "stronger" than when he entered). Hopefully Durant hasn't maxed out his gains.

Cry Havoc
04-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Spurs and non-Spurs fans... who would you rather have on your team?

I love Durant, but it's hard to argue with Oden. He looks like the prototypical dominant center for the NBA.

mardigan
04-10-2007, 03:45 PM

I love Durant, but it's hard to argue with Oden. He looks like the prototypical dominant center for the NBA.
Yea, Im torn about this one. Oden is a sure thing, you can slot him in at center from day one and have a starting center for 12 years. Durant, who knows how good this kid could be. Me personally if I had a franchise, i would take the chance on Durant

AFBlue
04-10-2007, 03:52 PM

Oden for the Spurs.

He and Tim Duncan teaming up would be like....well Tim Duncan and David Robinson, and that combo worked out pretty well.

I think Durant is the overall better talent though....

Xylus
04-10-2007, 03:54 PM
I can't decide which player I'd rather have. An Amare/Oden or Amare/Durant frontcourt would be a truly frightening prospect.

monosylab1k
04-10-2007, 04:35 PM
Harris
Terry
Howard
Nowitzki
Oden

I'd happily trade our first round pick for the next 10 years to make this happen.

JamStone
04-10-2007, 04:44 PM
I'd take Durant. Greg Oden will probably be a great center in the NBA. But, I think Kevin Durant could end up being one of the greatest players in the history of the game.

mardigan
04-10-2007, 04:46 PM
Harris
Terry
Howard
Nowitzki
Oden

I'd happily trade our first round pick for the next 10 years to make this happen.
But could you imagine Durant, Dirk and Howard?
No team could match up with that

monosylab1k
04-10-2007, 04:48 PM

very true. I'd probably give up 15 first rounders for that one haha. but seriously, whatever two teams get picks 1 and 2 this year basically have their franchises set and will be contenders for the next decade or more.

Cry Havoc
04-10-2007, 06:35 PM

Or Duncan, Durant, Manu, Parker. Yikes. Four players that can score at will.

Or even Oden, Duncan, Manu, Parker.

Or Oden (giving you guys some much needed post presence), Dirk, Howard, Harris, Terry?

Yikes!!!

Xylus
04-10-2007, 07:14 PM
Some people in the media have been talking about trading Marion and the Suns' early first-round pick for Durant. Would you guys do it?

mardigan
04-10-2007, 07:37 PM
Some people in the media have been talking about trading Marion and the Suns' early first-round pick for Durant. Would you guys do it?
No doubt, 100%, fo sho,si, I dont know how many ways you can say yes, but yes

monosylab1k
04-10-2007, 09:25 PM

I think that's incredibly wishful thinking for Suns fans. Unless they're trading with Billy Knight or Isiah Thomas, Marion and their early 1st rounder (if they get it) won't come close to getting that deal made. Marion/1st/next year's 1st would be a starting point. Durant is projected to be an absolute mega-star, and while Marion is a very nice player, he's no superstar and nobody in this year's draft outside of Oden/Durant is going to be a superstar (or at least is projected to get to that level).

ducks
04-10-2007, 10:21 PM
I'd take Durant. Greg Oden will probably be a great center in the NBA. But, I think Kevin Durant could end up being one of the greatest players in the history of the game.

I think durant has more finished skills right now
oden may be better later
I take durant though

Xylus
04-10-2007, 11:43 PM
I think that's incredibly wishful thinking for Suns fans. Unless they're trading with Billy Knight or Isiah Thomas, Marion and their early 1st rounder (if they get it) won't come close to getting that deal made. Marion/1st/next year's 1st would be a starting point. Durant is projected to be an absolute mega-star, and while Marion is a very nice player, he's no superstar and nobody in this year's draft outside of Oden/Durant is going to be a superstar (or at least is projected to get to that level).
So you'd do it.