PDA

View Full Version : Pac-Man Jones Suspended for entire season

Taco
04-10-2007, 12:10 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10119161

NFL suspends Pacman Jones and Bengals' Henry

April 10, 2007) -- NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has informed Adam Jones of the Tennessee Titans and Chris Henry of the Cincinnati Bengals that they have been suspended without pay for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy and engaging in conduct detrimental to the league on numerous occasions, the NFL announced today.

Jones was suspended for the 2007 season, while Henry was suspended for the first eight games of the 2007 regular season. Each player must earn the right to be reinstated.

"We must protect the integrity of the NFL," Commissioner Goodell said. "The highest standards of conduct must be met by everyone in the NFL because it is a privilege to represent the NFL, not a right. These players, and all members of our league, have to make the right choices and decisions in their conduct on a consistent basis."

In a letter to each player, Commissioner Goodell wrote: "Your conduct has brought embarrassment and ridicule upon yourself, your club, and the NFL, and has damaged the reputation of players throughout the league. You have put in jeopardy an otherwise promising NFL career, and have risked both your own safety and the safety of others through your off-field actions. In each of these respects, you have engaged in conduct detrimental to the NFL and failed to live up to the standards expected of NFL players. Taken as a whole, this conduct warrants significant sanction."

Jones will be strictly monitored by the Titans and the NFL during the suspension as part of his opportunity to earn reinstatement through adherence to a set of conditions. His status will be reviewed after the Titans' 10th regular-season game to determine the extent to which he has complied with the conditions and whether the suspension should be affected by the disposition of any pending or prospective charges.

The specific conditions that apply to Jones' suspension include the following:

He must have no further adverse involvement with law enforcement.
He must fully cooperate with all required counseling, education, and treatment assigned under league or court-ordered programs.
He must adhere to the restrictions on his activities that have been agreed to by he and the Titans.
He may not be at the Titans' facility through May 31 and may not participate in any practices or organized workouts during the term of the suspension. Beginning June 1, he must visit the team facility once each week to meet with the team's player development director. Also, beginning June 1, he is permitted to spend one day a week at the team facility for conditioning, film study, and other similar activities.
In conjunction with the team's player development director and other professionals working with him, Jones must develop with the Titans a structured program of community service or other activity. This program must be submitted to the league office for review and approval.
Henry will be reinstated after the Bengals' eighth regular-season game if he meets certain conditions during his suspension that will be monitored closely by the Bengals and the NFL. Those conditions include the following:

He must have no further adverse involvement with law enforcement.
He must fully cooperate with all required counseling, education, and treatment assigned to him under league programs.
He is eligible to be at the Bengals' facilities during the rest of the offseason for customary activities and he must meet weekly with the team's player development director.
If he fully complies with all other conditions, he may participate in the Bengals' training camp and preseason games.
During the regular season, he is permitted to be at the Bengals' facility for team meetings and must meet weekly with the team's player development director, but he may not attend or participate in practice.
He must fully comply with all conditions imposed on him by any court, including requirements of community service.
Jones and Henry were told that any failure to comply with these conditions will result in additional discipline, including possible banishment from the league.

"I must emphasize to you that this is your last opportunity to salvage your NFL career," Commissioner Goodell wrote to Jones and Henry. "I urge you to take full advantage of the resources available to support you in that effort."

mardigan
04-10-2007, 12:13 PM
I just saw it on Cold Pizza.
Chris Henry was suspended 8 games.
This is such fucking bullshit, this pisses me off so much

mardigan
04-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Updated: April 10, 2007, 1:11 PM ET
Goodell suspends Pacman, Henry for arrestsESPN.com news services

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell handed out the first suspensions under his discipline policy, banning Adam "Pacman" Jones for the entire 2007 season and Chris Henry for eight regular-season games.

The two players are suspended without pay for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy and engaging in conduct detrimental to the league on numerous occasions, the NFL announced.

After they serve their suspensions, each player must apply for reinstatement.

"We must protect the integrity of the NFL," Goodell said. "The highest standards of conduct must be met by everyone in the NFL because it is a privilege to represent the NFL, not a right. These players, and all members of our league, have to make the right choices and decisions in their conduct on a consistent basis."

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Pacman's Reaction (http://tinyurl.com/yw3d3w)

BruceBowenFan
04-10-2007, 03:00 PM
Pacman's Reaction (http://tinyurl.com/yw3d3w)
:lol :lol :lol :lol

mardigan
04-10-2007, 03:02 PM
Pac-Man gotted f-ed in the b. Hasnt been convicted of anything, just trying to make an example of him

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Pac-Man gotted f-ed in the b. Hasnt been convicted of anything, just trying to make an example of him

But has he not brought negative publicity on the league with his reported (and in some cases, admitted) actions?

mardigan
04-10-2007, 03:07 PM
But has he not brought negative publicity on the league with his reported (and in some cases, admitted) actions?
He has, but to only suspend Henry for half of the year is what really pisses me off. He has been in the news just as much if not more so. I love the NFL, and I realize that he cant keep putting it in the news, but this is America, and he hasnt been convicted of one crime, and most of the crimes that have come against him have been dropped. What if his other charges get dropped, and he turns out to have no charges against him. Henry has already served time! He will fight this, and I am not sure if he will win, but he might.

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-10-2007, 03:08 PM
He has, but to only suspend Henry for half of the year is what really pisses me off. He has been in the news just as much if not more so. I love the NFL, and I realize that he cant keep putting it in the news, but this is America, and he hasnt been convicted of one crime, and most of the crimes that have come against him have been dropped. What if his other charges get dropped, and he turns out to have no charges against him. Henry has already served time! He will fight this, and I am not sure if he will win, but he might.

Well, IIRC, Pacman can come back after ten games (weeks?) if certain conditions are met.

Anyway, since it got so little response the last time, I'm posting this again.

http://www.superdeluxe.com/sd/contentDetail.do?id=D81F2344BF5AC7BB9A91C6A19784A1 19D6A32C2F9BA3125A

mardigan
04-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Well, IIRC, Pacman can come back after ten games (weeks?) if certain conditions are met.

Anyway, since it got so little response the last time, I'm posting this again.

http://www.superdeluxe.com/sd/contentDetail.do?id=D81F2344BF5AC7BB9A91C6A19784A1 19D6A32C2F9BA3125A
I didnt know that and that vid ruines my childhood playing that game at Pizza Hut :lol

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-10-2007, 03:13 PM
I didnt know that and that vid ruines my childhood playing that game at Pizza Hut :lol

Jones will be strictly monitored by the Titans and the NFL during the suspension as part of his opportunity to earn reinstatement through adherence to a set of conditions. His status will be reviewed after the Titans' 10th regular-season game to determine the extent to which he has complied with the conditions and whether the suspension should be affected by the disposition of any pending or prospective charges.

degenerate_gambler
04-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Playing football in the NFL is not a God-given right, it's a privilege.
You're talking about a very exclusive club here.

And the NFL can damn sure reserve the right to suspend any player(s) who's conduct is detrimental to the league and/or violates the league's personal conduct policy.

If these thugs dont like it, let 'em go get a real job then.

Pugglekicker_21
04-10-2007, 05:12 PM
sucks incredibly for the titans. what do they do for the season at CB? they'll have him back for 2008, but they cant go around with atheir best corner missing. This sounds incredibly lame, but he has the skill set to be as good as, if not better than, peole like Champ Bailey and Nate Clements, but he has made the worst decisons about who to hang around with. the Titans are screwed royally.

FromWayDowntown
04-10-2007, 05:24 PM
sucks incredibly for the titans. what do they do for the season at CB? they'll have him back for 2008, but they cant go around with atheir best corner missing. This sounds incredibly lame, but he has the skill set to be as good as, if not better than, peole like Champ Bailey and Nate Clements, but he has made the worst decisons about who to hang around with. the Titans are screwed royally.

The suspensions are a message to the players -- to be sure -- but they also send messages to the teams themselves. There is now a consequence attached to drafting guys who might have character issues if the team isn't proactive enough to keep those players in line. If you want to waste a high draft pick on a guy whose off-field activities might be criminal and you don't do enough to straighten those cats out, you will have wasted your pick.

I think the Commissioner did the right thing -- he's saying to these players that they will no longer get free passes because they happen to be good football players. Because they didn't have the desire or the discipline to control themselves, they are now being held professionally (and financially) accountable for their actions. It's about damned time that someone sent them that message. And I don't think it stops with Pacman or Henry; any player who chooses to repeatedly engage in activities that put himself, his team, or the league in a bad light (whehter convicted of crimes for those actions or not) is going to have a price to pay for that immaturity.

Kudos to the Commissioner. This is a fantastic move all the way around.

Pugglekicker_21
04-10-2007, 05:39 PM
^^^^yes

mardigan
04-10-2007, 05:41 PM
Good thing they signed Nick Harper huh?
There is no way Pac deserved a longer suspension than Henry. I hope he fights it and I hope he wins

Trainwreck2100
04-10-2007, 05:47 PM
Henry's actions didn't lead to somebody's death and paralysis.

FromWayDowntown
04-10-2007, 05:53 PM
There is no way Pac deserved a longer suspension than Henry. I hope he fights it and I hope he wins

That's ridiculous. There's a marked difference in Pacman's past and Henry's past.

From ESPN, a list of Pacman's transgressions:

July 13, 2005: Two weeks before training camp is scheduled to begin, Jones is arrested by Nashville police at Titans headquarters. He is charged with assault and felony vandalism stemming from a nightclub altercation.

Sept. 5, 2005: Six days before the season opener at Pittsburgh, Jones attends the annual Nashville Sports Council Kickoff Luncheon. Later, Jones has a loud, verbal tantrum when told he must wait in line for his vehicle, according to witnesses. He does not pay for valet service.

Oct. 25, 2005: Five days before the eighth game of the season, it is alleged by the state of West Virginia that Jones has violated the terms of his probation, going back to a suspended sentence after a barroom brawl during his freshman year at college. A judge extends his probation 90 days.

Feb. 6, 2006: Jones is arrested in Fayetteville, Ga., and charged with possession of marijuana. He is handcuffed after throwing a punch at an officer, according to police, and charged with a felony count of obstruction and two misdemeanors of obstructing police. The drug charge is dismissed in January 2007, although his mother Deborah and a friend, Marcus Bowens, are convicted of possession of marijuana. Jones will appear in court later this month to face the obstruction charges.

March 23, 2006: A Fayette County drug task force SWAT team serves a search warrant at the Georgia home Jones bought for his mother. When Jones steps out of his Corvette, a drug investigator notices that the car reeks of marijuana. Jones admits to police he has been smoking and that it will be several weeks before he is able to pass a drug test.

April 18, 2006: According to Nashville police, who cite surveillance camera footage, Jones is one of 12 people gathered at a gas station when a fight breaks out and gunshots are fired.

Aug. 25, 2006: Jones is arrested in Murfreesboro, Tenn., for disorderly conduct and public intoxication. At the Sweetwater Saloon, he is accused of assault by Toya Garth, who says Jones spit in her face and she spit back. A judge sentences Jones six months probation provided he stays out of further trouble.

Oct. 26, 2006: Jones is cited for misdemeanor assault at Club Mystic, a Nashville nightclub, where he allegedly spits in the face of a female college student. He is suspended for one game by the Titans, on Nov. 5 at Jacksonville.

Feb. 19, 2007: Jones is present when an early morning brawl breaks out at Minxx Gentlemen's Club in Las Vegas. Three people are shot. Club co-owner Robert Susnar claims the shooter -- still at large -- acted on Jones' behalf. Jones denies this. No charges have been brought against Jones.

Henry, by contrast, has 4 highly-publicized incidents. None of those are excusable -- as the suspension makes clear. But the fact that there are many fewer incidents than are on Pacman's resume and the fact that none of Henry's incidents (IIRC) involve violence against other people is probably a justifiable basis to give him a bit more leeway. I think Henry's involve things like DUI and furnishing alcohol to minors. That there are so many of them in such a short period of time certainly justifies a heavy-handed punishment. But I'm not sure that Henry's quite to the level of off-field nonsense that Pacman has attained.

mardigan
04-10-2007, 05:58 PM
Henry's actions didn't lead to somebody's death and paralysis.
Nobody died from any of Pacs off field fuck ups

mardigan
04-10-2007, 05:59 PM
That's ridiculous. There's a marked difference in Pacman's past and Henry's past.

From ESPN, a list of Pacman's transgressions:

Henry, by contrast, has 4 highly-publicized incidents. None of those are excusable -- as the suspension makes clear. But the fact that there are many fewer incidents than are on Pacman's resume and the fact that none of Henry's incidents (IIRC) involve violence against other people is probably a justifiable basis to give him a bit more leeway. I think Henry's involve things like DUI and furnishing alcohol to minors. That there are so many of them in such a short period of time certainly justifies a heavy-handed punishment. But I'm not sure that Henry's quite to the level of off-field nonsense that Pacman has attained.
You know that most of the things you listed were dismissed right?

FromWayDowntown
04-10-2007, 06:03 PM
You know that most of the things you listed were dismissed right?

His criminal liablity for these actions is not the issue.

The undeniable fact that there are at least 10 incidents that may have involved criminal or despicable conduct is.

Frankly, the NFL doesn't have to afford him any due process whatsoever. It could decide to banish him from the league for just about any reason.

But deciding that the league is fed up with his repeated involvement in thuggish antics -- and his immaturity in continuing to hang around those who engage in thuggish behavior -- strikes me as more than sufficient cause to run a guy out of the league.

The league is tired of Pacman's bullshit. The Commissioner has now made that abundantly clear. It's up to Pacman to straighten himself out; if he doesn't, he'll never play in the NFL again -- and rightly so.

mikejones99
04-10-2007, 06:07 PM
Pacman is a better person than Peyton Manning so he too should be suspended. Torturing millions with retarded commercials, jesus fucking christ. Rascist bastards NFL.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Titans are FUCKED

samikeyp
04-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Playing football in the NFL is not a God-given right, it's a privilege.
You're talking about a very exclusive club here.

And the NFL can damn sure reserve the right to suspend any player(s) who's conduct is detrimental to the league and/or violates the league's personal conduct policy.

If these thugs dont like it, let 'em go get a real job then.

Well said.

degenerate_gambler
04-11-2007, 09:12 AM

He can fight it till he's blue in the face and it won't make a bit of difference.

And don't think the NFLPA is going to back his ass up either. Gene Upshaw and Goodell have met with players in Feb and again last week and all agreed the league needed a stronger disciplinary policy.

mardigan
04-11-2007, 11:29 AM
He can fight it till he's blue in the face and it won't make a bit of difference.

And don't think the NFLPA is going to back his ass up either. Gene Upshaw and Goodell have met with players in Feb and again last week and all agreed the league needed a stronger disciplinary policy.
They already said that they would back him if he wanted to fight the suspension

mardigan
04-14-2007, 12:04 PM
Updated: April 14, 2007, 6:15 AM ET
Pacman says NFL is making him a poster boyAssociated Press

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Titans cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones said Friday night he will appeal his season-long suspension and thinks NFL commissioner Roger Goodell made him the league's poster boy for disciplining players.

Jones has not talked to reporters since the suspension for conduct detrimental to the NFL was announced Tuesday. Jones' attorneys had said they were discussing his options and have not returned telephone messages since Tuesday.

But Jones was in Tunica, Miss., and he talked to ESPN's Joe Tessitore while at "Friday Night Fights" about being suspended -- without pay -- for the 2007 season. His case will be reviewed after the Titans' 10th game, leaving the chance for a return.

"I think it was a little bit harsh," Jones said. "I expected the suspension, but for a whole year for a guy that hadn't been charged with nothing? I really didn't agree with it. But for the most part, I'm taking it like a man. I'm going to appeal it. We'll see what the future brings."

Any appeal would be heard and decided by Goodell.

Cincinnati receiver Chris Henry, a teammate of Jones at West Virginia, also was suspended. But Henry received an eight-game ban.

Jones, the sixth pick overall in the 2005 draft and the first defensive player taken that year, has talked with police 10 times since being drafted, and arrested five times. He has not been convicted of any charge since being drafted.

But Las Vegas police want to charge Jones for inciting a strip club fight Feb. 19 that led to a triple shooting. Jones also did not inform the Titans of two arrests in Georgia last year, and a felony obstruction charge for allegedly biting a Fayetteville, Ga., police officer was delayed until May.

Asked if he was being used as an example with the severe punishment, Jones agreed.

"Clearly -- you know, for a guy that hadn't been charged -- I'm clearly made to be the poster boy," Jones said.

Jones said his teammates have been calling him every day since news of the suspension. He said defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch has been a close friend over the past few days.

"What I'm going to do, I'm going to work out every day and make sure I'm in top-tip shape. But come Week 11, I plan on being back on the field," Jones told ESPN.

Titans owner Bud Adams said Tuesday the team wasn't sure if it wanted Jones back unless he changes his behavior and avoids controversy off the field.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

FromWayDowntown
04-14-2007, 12:17 PM
I hope he loses. It's about damned time that a league said that it wouldn't put up with jackass behavior by players. Goodell did the right thing here and it would be shameful for that effort to be undermined.

samikeyp
04-14-2007, 05:31 PM
Pac-Man needs to go to jail and become Ms. Pac-Man. :)

greenroom
04-15-2007, 08:18 AM
Pac-Man needs to go to jail and become Ms. Pac-Man. :)

You have to be convicted of something to go to Jail and he has never been convicted of anything?

FromWayDowntown
04-15-2007, 11:35 AM
I'm not sure why a conviction should be a prerequisite to a long suspension.

samikeyp
04-15-2007, 11:50 AM
You have to be convicted of something to go to Jail and he has never been convicted of anything?

Easy there, Johnnie Cochran....it was a joke. I was going for the whole Pac-Man/Ms. Pac-Man punchline. :toast

FromWayDowntown
04-15-2007, 12:07 PM
Easy there, Johnnie Cochran....it was a joke. I was going for the whole Pac-Man/Ms. Pac-Man punchline. :toast

My question wasn't aimed at you. I don't understand the notion that a player is somehow above receiving a long suspension for off-the-field conduct until he is convicted of a crime. I don't buy the argument that Pacman's suspension is somehow unwarranted just because he hasn't been convicted for a crime. Pacman has gotten himself involved in a whole bunch of negative situations in a very short period of time. The NFL has a right to suspend him just based upon the fact that he's done that.

I don't think it should matter whether local prosecutors can make a criminal case against him and prove it to a jury beyond a reasonable doubt. The NFL is partly in the PR business and players who are repeatedly arrested for serious offenses don't do much for the league's PR.

So, mikey, my point was aimed mostly at the Pacman apologists whose sole argument is that the charges against him have been dismissed in a number of instances and that he hasn't been convicted (yet) of anything. I think those arguments are patently ridiculous.

The NFL should have higher standards for its players than the local prosecutor has for deciding whether to proceed with a case or not. I'm glad to see that Roger Goodell sees it that way, too.

samikeyp
04-15-2007, 05:56 PM
My question wasn't aimed at you

I know bro...my response wasn't aimed at you. I quoted greenroom. :)