PDA

View Full Version : Bobcats "advise" Herrmann not to play in Americas Championship

Kori Ellis
04-10-2007, 12:55 PM
CHARLOTTE (FIBA Americas Championship) - Argentina's Walter Herrmann is almost certain to miss the FIBA Americas Championship in Las Vegas after revealing his NBA team, the Charlotte Bobcats, advised him to skip the event.

Herrmann told the Spanish-language newspaper in Charlotte, Mi Gente: "We haven't made the definitive decision to tell this to Argentinian press, but I will not play at the Championship.

"I've been talking to [Argentina coach] Sergio Hernandez and it is very probable that I will not go.

"The main reason is the injury I had due to stress last pre-season.

"The club blamed the national team and advised me not to join them and to rest for a period."

The 6ft 9in forward, a reserve in Argentina's gold-medal winning Olympic team in 2004 and last year at the FIBA World Championship, has been a revelation this season in the United States.

He was an important player for Unicaja Malaga in their ACB-winning side last year but played very little in the first four months of this NBA campaign.

However, with injuries mounting in Charlotte, coach Bernie Bickerstaff inserted him into the starting line-up in March and he excelled, capturing the Eastern Conference Rookie of the Month award.

The 27-year-old Herrmann acknowledged that uncertainty over his NBA future is also a factor.

"My contract [with the Bobcats] runs to until June 30," he said.

"I don't know what will happen then. And I cannot leave the national team waiting to know if I am going or not until the last minute.

"Perhaps Charlotte want me to play the Summer League or maybe they decide not to renew my contract and I also have to play a Summer League to be signed by another club, like last year.

"If I didn't have these problems, I'd love to go."

His absence is the last thing national team coach Sergio Hernandez will have wanted as San Antonio Spurs duo Manu Ginobili and Fabricio Oberto, and Chicago Bulls forward Andres Nocioni, are also uncertain.

Kori Ellis
04-10-2007, 12:56 PM
You might think this is not Spurs related, but it is in a round about way. People always question about the Spurs players and whether or not they should play in the international tournaments.

What do the Argentineans and others think about Herrmann being advised not to play (and apparently listening to the Bobcats)?

gus
04-10-2007, 01:03 PM
He won't play.

Besides the coach is an asshole. Everybody hates him. Not the case of Manu who knows him since he was young. We lost with Spain by 1 point due to him.

Gus.-

vanvannen
04-10-2007, 01:22 PM
This is not the only qualifying tournament to the olympics. I think Manu, Oberto, Hermann and probably Nocioni are gambling on this one and probably will play the next one if Argentina does not manage to qualify (which is very likely).

Man In Black
04-10-2007, 01:58 PM
He only has a 1 yr contract?Let's sign him up, get Scola here so that we sign up half of Team ARG. Then we get Pietrus here with Mahinmi, get half of Team FRA, and then with Tim we already have Team USA reppin. Then we'll have a true New World Order.

ducks
04-10-2007, 02:06 PM
heard manu and oberta not sure they will play either
argentina might be in trouble

spurster
04-10-2007, 02:06 PM
Bobcats are just doing their corporate due diligence. The NBA, on the other hand, needs the international PR, so there might be pressure the other way, too.

kolko
04-10-2007, 02:21 PM
Bobcats have a team option on Herrmann's contract for next year of almost $2M, which is almost sure they will use, considering his play over the last month (Around 17 points and 5 rebounds per game)

doldrums
04-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Actually, if you read the charlotte press, he is considered an important piece in their future.

mardigan
04-10-2007, 02:27 PM
And I doubt Nocioni will either with how much he has been hurt this year in a contract year

manubili
04-10-2007, 02:38 PM
Staying in the NBA, and in good terms, is priority for Herrmann. As an argentinean, I support him with this decission (as if he cares!). If he keeps playing like this, he would be the one setting the rules next year. Then, I want to see him in the Olimpics, wearing gold once again. Argentina will have to improve the "next generation". Manu, Oberto, Nocioni will not be there for a long time. They have done more than enough. It's time for the newcomers to step up.

ArgSpursFan
04-10-2007, 03:18 PM
thereīs still plenty of talent in Argentina.Donīt worry about as.worry about USA team instead Ducks.They need to win something soon.

ducks
04-10-2007, 03:22 PM
thereīs still plenty of talent in Argentina.Donīt worry about as.worry about USA team instead Ducks.They need to win something soon.
they will once they kick james out

ArgSpursFan
04-10-2007, 03:26 PM
they just need to play NCAA players with a couple of NBA big guys(PF,C) to get something done once again.USA team donīt need no big time selfish stars to win.

v2freak
04-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Bobcats are just doing their corporate due diligence. The NBA, on the other hand, needs the international PR, so there might be pressure the other way, too.

The NBA is also looking rather bad because of all the negative press that goes with the US competing poorly in international competitions. From a business standpoint, I think Charlotte is 100% justified, but they need to let him know what his future looks like first.

ArgSpursFan - you're absolutely right. The US can do without selfish players or players who refuse to participate

ArgSpursFan
04-10-2007, 06:12 PM
The NBA is also looking rather bad because of all the negative press that goes with the US competing poorly in international competitions. From a business standpoint, I think Charlotte is 100% justified, but they need to let him know what his future looks like first.

ArgSpursFan - you're absolutely right. The US can do without selfish players or players who refuse to participate

I can understand the US superstars refusing to play for the USA team jersey for being scared of getting injured,but You canīt say no to your own flag/nation.
Thatīs why I respect Manu for being willing to play for the Arg. Team every time He gets a chance to represent the nation.
But USA can do better if they play NCAA guys who are hungry to show the world what they are made of,with a couple of experienced NBA players playing along with them.

v2freak
04-10-2007, 06:18 PM
I can understand the US superstars refusing to play for the USA team jersey for being scared of getting injured,but You canīt say no to your own flag/nation.
Thatīs why I respect Manu for being willing to play for the Arg. Team every time He gets a chance to represent the nation.
But USA can do better if they play NCAA guys who are hungry to show the world what they are made of,with a couple of experienced NBA players playing along with them.

I don't know if it's the getting injured aspect that frightens them. In the case of 2004, I think many of them cited terrorism as a concern

aaronstampler
04-10-2007, 07:13 PM
I agree with the other poster. Argentina's coach is a moron. His decision to foul on purpose in a tie game in the WC semi-final was the dumbest thing I've ever seen a coach do. Why play and risk injury for such an idiot coach?

ArgSpursFan
04-10-2007, 07:24 PM
that last nocioniīs shot with 0.5 reminding in the WCīs semis that didnīt go in,wasnīt the coachīs fault.to faul was the right thing to get a chance to get the last shot of the game.

ploto
04-10-2007, 07:44 PM
Bobcats also blamed Brezec's problems on his time with the Slovenian national team.

WalterBenitez
04-10-2007, 08:13 PM
our NT will suck in that tournament, no Manu, no Oberto, no Nocioni, no Herman .. only Delfino is going ... time to find any decent guy out there not worried about money

endrity
04-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Herrmann with another big game tonight vs the Heat, this boy is coming on strong. And by the way, all these guys have played for a long time for the nat team, it's not fair to accuse them of being greedy.

td4mvp21
04-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Why did we get the shitty Argentine big man?

mardigan
04-10-2007, 09:33 PM
He hit a ridiculous shot in tonights game, Im going to try and you tube it later

nkdlunch
04-11-2007, 08:53 AM
Hermann is a beast. He's gonna average 20+pts a game from now on.

hater
04-11-2007, 08:55 AM
who's mann??

ArgSpursFan
04-11-2007, 10:27 AM
the argentinian Fabio Look alike MJ. :toast

50 cent
04-11-2007, 02:32 PM
I don't blame the Bobcats one bit.

I wish the Spurs would do the same thing with Tony/manu/oberto/etc.