PDA

View Full Version : *Official* UFC 70 Thread...

LEONARD
04-10-2007, 01:33 PM
I know it's a little early, but what the hell...we need more MMA threads :lol

For those that don't know, UFC 70 will be shown on Spike TV instead of being a PPV... :fro

UFC 70: APRIL 21, 2007 IN MANCHESTER, ENGLAND AT M.E.N. ARENA

Main Card Bouts:
-Mirko Cro Cop (#2 HW) vs. Gabriel Gonzaga
-Andrei Arlovski (#7 HW) vs. Fabricio Werdum (#8 HW)
-Ryoto Machida vs. David Heath
-Michael Bisping vs. Elvis Sinosic
-Assuerio Silva vs. Cheick Kongo

(my picks in bold)

Preliminary Bouts:
-Dennis Siver vs. Jess Liaudin
-Alessio Sakara vs. Victor Valimaki
-Terry Etim vs. Matt Grice
-Junior Assuncao vs. David Lee
-Paul Taylor vs. Ediberto Crocota

Main card airs in the United States on Spike TV on Saturday, April 21st from 9:00 PM to 12:00 AM (ET/PT) on tape delay

UFC 70 site is up...
http://70.ufc.com/

Simply amazing that Arlovski - Werdum isn't listed as one of the main fights on the official site... :dizzy It's not too often that the UFC has 2 top 10 HW's fighting each other... :bang

I could see them pushing Forrest - Machida, but since Forrest is out with a staff infection, that fight shouldn't be one of the headliners. I understand why Bisping is of course...even though they're feeding him a complete turd...

My interest in the undercards couldn't be less, but the main card looks good...especially for FREE...

Crocop in the UFC AND on Spike TV? If somebody would've predicted that a year ago they'd have been ripped to pieces for being delusional... :lol

mardigan
04-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Man, this card is GREAT! So much better than 69.
I got...
Cro
Arlovski (Ikeep picking him and he keeps letting me down, 1 last shot)
Heath
Bisping
Kongo

djohn14
04-10-2007, 02:18 PM
Cheick Kongo and Assuerio Silva will steal the show. It should be a great stand-up bout.

LEONARD
04-10-2007, 02:51 PM
Cheick Kongo and Assuerio Silva will steal the show. It should be a great stand-up bout.

Silva via easy submission... :D

djohn14
04-10-2007, 03:12 PM
Na dude, I think they'll duke it out the whole match.

dbreiden83080
04-10-2007, 03:25 PM
I am waiting to see how Bisping does when someone actually takes him to the ground. He is a very good standup fighter but his wrestling skills were not that good on the TUF show. That was a big reason why he did not want to fight Matt Hamill.

djohn14
04-10-2007, 04:39 PM
I am waiting to see how Bisping does when someone actually takes him to the ground. He is a very good standup fighter but his wrestling skills were not that good on the TUF show. That was a big reason why he did not want to fight Matt Hamill.

Yeah, I hope and I think he has been training on it. He dosent need more work on his strikes, but he needs to become more of a complete fighter.

LEONARD
04-10-2007, 04:44 PM
Bisping is fine on the ground...if it's a weakness, it shouldn't come into play against Elvis...

sa_butta
04-10-2007, 04:47 PM
Man, this card is GREAT! So much better than 69.
I got...
Cro
Arlovski (Ikeep picking him and he keeps letting me down, 1 last shot)
Heath
Bisping
KongoAnd its free on Spike, its crazy. I cant wait. Man 69 was a night of upsets.

IX_Equilibrium
04-10-2007, 04:51 PM
Silva via easy submission

Agreed. I hope Silva watched the tape on Kongo, because if he did, he will see that Kongo has ZERO takedown defense or groundgame.

dallaskd
04-10-2007, 09:10 PM
No one is giving Sinosic much of a chance. Hes no push over. Not a fabulous fight card, but its free.

LEONARD
04-11-2007, 08:09 AM
No one is giving Sinosic much of a chance. Hes no push over. Not a fabulous fight card, but its free.

He's 1-5 in the UFC and 8-9-2 overall. Forrest make him look terrible...Bisping should do the same...

dallaskd
04-12-2007, 02:14 PM
I wish they would have thrown a title shot on there. Like sean sherk. but for a non title card. this is awesome to be televised for free.

LEONARD
04-12-2007, 02:22 PM
I wish they would have thrown a title shot on there. Like sean sherk. but for a non title card. this is awesome to be televised for free.

Sherk would've been a likely title fight for this one or 69 but he had rotator cuff surgery after the fight with Florian...

dallaskd
04-15-2007, 07:06 PM
He's 1-5 in the UFC and 8-9-2 overall. Forrest make him look terrible...Bisping should do the same...

If hes been in a title fight, hes not a push over.

LEONARD
04-16-2007, 08:41 AM
If hes been in a title fight, hes not a push over.

Joe Riggs was given a title fight...

Bisping will roll him...

dallaskd
04-17-2007, 04:37 PM
Joe Riggs was given a title fight...

Bisping will roll him...

We will have to see. I got my money on Elvis.

Rip-Hamilton32
04-17-2007, 05:36 PM
We will have to see. I got my money on Elvis.

hope you didn't bet to much :ihit

cornbread
04-17-2007, 06:47 PM
I guess it's not the worst prediction you could make. There was some guy on here who said that Fedor would lose to Lindland.

LEONARD
04-18-2007, 11:54 AM
If Arlovski beats Werdum, he gets a title shot. Probably straight to Couture if Crocop was to lose to Gonzaga by some miracle. Chances are he'd be facing the winner of CC-Couture. I still see Werdum beating Arlovski though...
http://ufcmania.com/2007/04/18/dana-white-arlovski-gets-title-shot-with-ufc-70-win/

Crocop will go with his normal "Wild Boyz" (Duran Duran) theme for his entrance music this time...
http://ufcmania.com/2007/04/17/cro-cop-on-gonzaga-liddell-fedor-and-more/
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lxImSaMkJJA

More on Crocop's conf call here...
http://forum.kakutougi.info/showthread.php?t=7468

He says he's in perfect condition, his health is "OK" and he has no injuries.

He's in the final year of his parliamentary term and will NOT be running for office again. When his term ends in November he'll go back to his job with the special police unit in Croatia. He'll spend most of his time there as a martial arts instructor. "I just like that job. It makes me happy."

He wants rematches with Fedor and Noguiera. "I have a feeling I will face Noguiera very soon."

He only saw a few minutes of the Randy Couture v Tim Sylvia fight on youtube [for some reason I found that hysterical]

Says he's adapted himself to fighting in a cage now. The Sanchez fight was difficult because his opponent was running away.

On Gonzaga - "I will do my best. Gabriel Gonzaga won't have answers for everything I offer him."

Says he always enjoyed kicking. when he was 11 years old he made a kickbag from a sandbag. He talked about how effective his kicks were and credited practice for many years. "Plus, my legs are huge."

Says there's no chance at all of him dropping to 205 to fight Chuck Liddell but will fight Chuck "anytime" at heavyweight.

Again on Gonzaga - "I will force the fight in a stand-up position but I am not scared on the ground." Says Gonzaga "is a tough guy, a first class grappler. I will have to be careful."

Mirko left the conference call early to go and do some sparring. Also, he called in from Croatia so hasn't yet flown into the UK. But he's listed as appearing at the press conference on Thursday.

LEONARD
04-18-2007, 11:54 AM
I guess it's not the worst prediction you could make. There was some guy on here who said that Fedor would lose to Lindland.

:lol :lol :lol

IX_Equilibrium
04-18-2007, 07:37 PM
if Crocop was to lose to Gonzaga by some miracle.

Yeah, Crocop may look Herb Dean's way and laugh. Then Herb would disqualify Crocop and he would lose his title shot.

This would of course, be ok by you. After all, he did laugh!

LEONARD
04-19-2007, 08:06 AM
Yeah, Crocop may look Herb Dean's way and laugh. Then Herb would disqualify Crocop and he would lose his title shot.

This would of course, be ok by you. After all, he did laugh!

:bang

desflood
04-19-2007, 08:27 AM
04/17/2007
Breaking Down Arlovski vs. WerdumBy Michael DiSanto

went from a heavyweight with an uncertain home to quite possibly the happiest guy in the entire division.

The Pitbull was in the midst of preparing for Saturday’s bout against the highly regarded Fabricio Werdum, but the fight was almost meaningless as far as the “Pitbull’s” title hopes were concerned. Back-to-back losses to Tim Sylvia all but ended hopes of another title bout against the giant champion.

But Randy Couture’s dramatic upset win changed all that.

By taking the title from Sylvia, Couture effectively rescued Arlovski, one of the very best heavyweights in the world, from a state of championship limbo and placed him squarely back into title contention.

If he can beat Werdum on Saturday night, that is. And that is no easy task.

Like Arlovski, Werdum is on the short list of the best young heavyweights in the game. The difference, however, is that most American fans haven’t had much, if any, exposure to him because the Brazilian jiu-jitsu phenom has spent his entire career fighting overseas – most recently in Japan’s Pride Fighting Championships.

Can Arlovski turn back the slick ground wizard and step into line behind Mirko “Cro Cop” and Octagon newcomer Antonio Rodrigo “Minotauro” Nogueira, or will Werdum stake his own claim among the UFC’s best, thereby send Arlovski back into the heavyweight abyss?

Let’s take a look at the matchup:

Striking

Say what you will about his five-round snoozer against Sylvia at UFC 59, Arlovski is one of the better finishers in the game, particularly on the feet. He peppers opponents with a very active jab and solid leg kicks to expertly set up his powerful right cross and big left hook. Once he lands one of those power shots, the fight is almost certainly over.

At least, that is how things unfolded in six of his last seven wins. And the lone exception to that trend, a 2005 submission win over Sylvia at UFC 51, was a dazzling submission victory. Then again, the Achilles lock was little more than seizing an opportunity after one of his right hand bombs sent the then-champion to the ground with a resounding thud. It was a submission win, but Arlovski’s standup is what really made the difference that night.

Werdum, by comparison, is an unnatural, stiff fighter on the feet. He trains regularly with Cro Cop, one of the most feared standup fighters in any MMA promotion. But his style still features a gifted athlete who pushes his punches and telegraphs his power shots with a slight hitch in his delivery. At 6’2, 240 pounds, he has enough juice to hurt any heavyweight with a single homerun right hand, but those shots typically come in isolated fashion, rather than the lightning-quick combinations that Arlovksi prefers when he begins to find his standup groove in a fight.

Yet, the biggest difference on the feet is the fact that Arlovski, who has an extensive kickboxing background, understands and embraces idea of slipping punches, whereas Werdum avoids shots by pulling straight back. The net effect is that Arlovksi can make a fighter miss and deliver vicious retribution. Werdum never really moves outside of the danger zone, leaving himself off balance and more susceptible to knockdowns when he leans back to avoid a punch.

Aside from the proverbial lottery punch, Werdum knows he is in for very real trouble if he stands and trades shots with the former UFC Heavyweight Champion.

Advantage: Arlovksi.

Submissions

Werdum’s standup skills might be somewhat rudimentary, but he morphs into Picasso once the fight hits the ground. Like all jiu-jitsu experts, he is deadly from the top position. But he is also a nightmare from his back, using very active hips to keep his opponent guessing and defensive while he makes his progressions looking for an armbar, triangle choke, sweep, or some other fight-altering move.

Arlovski, who has an extensive Sambo background, is a well-versed ground fighter in his own right, particularly when it comes to leg locks. But his transition jiu-jitsu is not on par with Werdum’s. In fact, he would be best served to avoid the ground at all costs, including his effective ground-and-pound game, at least until Werdum is dazed, hurt or running low on gas.

Advantage: Werdum.

Wrestling

Neither man is an elite wrestler. Arlovski has average single- and double-leg takedowns. But he isn’t outstanding at trips or throws. Then again, he doesn’t often desire to take a fight to the ground, preferring instead to fight there mostly after he scores a bone-jarring knockdown.

Werdum, on the other hand, will do any and everything to take down Arlovski on Saturday. Nevertheless, he tends to struggle when forced to shoot in from the outside. He has a decent enough arsenal of leg trips and throws, but Arlovski defends well against below-average wrestlers, particularly in the clinch. It wouldn’t be surprising, therefore, to see Arlovski stuff the first few takedown attempts and Werdum change up his plan by jumping guard at every opportunity.

Advantage: Neither.

Explosiveness and Strength

This one is simple. Arlovski is a physical specimen of the level that makes other professional fighters, if not athletes from other sports, think wow! The guy appears to be one big fast-twitch muscle fiber, and as such, he remains one of the biggest, strongest, and most explosive guys in the sport. When Arlovski fires a punch with bad intentions, it arrives at its target with blinding speed and awesome power. Think otherwise? Watch him unload the lone right hand that decimated the iron-chinned Paul Buentello, the counter punch that made Justin Eilers do the jello-leg waltz, or the shot that toppled Sylvia. And think back to the last guy to physically manhandle him, aside from a big, strong, technically sound Ricco Rodriguez.

Werdum is nobody’s pushover, but he knows better than to try and match strength or speed with his opponent at UFC 70.

Advantage: Arlovski.

Conditioning

The conditioning factor may surprise most folks. Arlovski is, without a doubt, a finely trained fighting machine. But gym cardiovascular conditioning and actual fight cardiovascular conditioning are very different beasts because of the elevated levels of adrenalin and stress present in actual fights. If one cannot control those things in a fight, any reserve of cardio is used up like Hummer guzzling a gallon of gas.

Experience can play a big factor in controlling adrenalin and stress, and Arlovski is the somewhat more experienced fighter. But the problem is that 12 of his 15 fights have ended in less than seven minutes, including six of his last seven. In the other three bouts, he showed very real signs of fatigue fairly early in the fight. Part of that could be heightened stress and adrenalin when he does not dominate an opponent early. Part of that could be the fact that he is so heavily concentrated with fast-twitch muscle that he simply tires more quickly than some others.

In either case, Werdum is accustomed to fighting Pride rules, where four of his last five fights had a 10-minute first round, which is twice as long as a UFC round. All fighters begin to show signs of fatigue after a 10-minute round, but Werdum handled the lengthy opening period better than most, rarely showing signs of gassing early.

With that in mind, the UFC’s three five-minute round system should be no problem for Werdum. He will be able to come out and be very active, if he so chooses, without worrying about his cardio going south on him.

Advantage: Werdum.

Experience

When a fighter has spent multiple years fighting in the UFC or Pride, experience becomes a non-factor. The only edge in this one might be the fact that Arlovski is more accustomed to fighting inside a cage, whereas Werdum has more experience fighting in an actual ring. Nevertheless, Arlovski doesn’t use the cage as part of his game plan – he doesn’t use it for the clinch, to cut off his opponent, or to work back to his feet following a rare takedown. Instead, he prefers to fight in the center of the Octagon. As a result, there no discernable edge in experience that gives one man an advantage over the other.

Advantage: None.

Final Thoughts

Arlovski and Werdum are very equally matched, but as described above, their styles and strengths are vastly different. This fight, like many others in the Octagon, is going to come down to which man can dictate where the fight unfolds – on the feet or on the ground. Arlovski is at a massive advantage standing. Werdum holds an equal advantage on the ground. And since Werdum isn’t the greatest takedown artist in the world, one would think that Arlovski’s stand up edge gives him a decided edge in the fight.

Nevertheless, we’ve seen it time and time again where a single punch from someone not known as a vicious puncher forever changes the course of a fight. That is especially true when the combatants are big, strong heavyweights like these two. To me, this fight is a true toss up – one that could end in a split second with Arlovski scoring a dramatic knockout victory early, the pair engaging in a long tactical affair, or Werdum securing a slick submission in the middle or late rounds. We’ll just have to wait and see.

LEONARD
04-19-2007, 08:38 AM
Good breakdown...I can't wait for this fight...more than any other on the card by far... :fro

Give me Werdum via submission. Werdum has a good chin...he took a punch from Big Nog in the OWGP last year that would've dropped most (lost via decision).

LEONARD
04-19-2007, 10:30 AM
It's pretty obvious that most UFC fans don't know Werdum, as he's only been picked to win by 12% of fans in the UFC.com poll... :lol

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=EventDetail.fightCard&eid=472&Mode=PollResults

and how can the UFC not have a picture of the guy? Ridiculous!! :nope

Crocop article
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=3798

ESPN to increase it's UFC coverage...
http://ufcjunkie.com/2007/04/18/dana-white-espn-will-cover-ufc-events-and-weigh-ins/

IX_Equilibrium
04-20-2007, 07:56 AM
I know you posted some of this stuff already, Leonard, but this includes addititonal info.

http://www.411mania.com/sports/other_sports/53238/UFC-70-Pre-Fight-Media-Conference-Call.htm

UFC 70 Pre-Fight Media Conference Call
Posted by Caleb Newby on 04.17.2007

Heavyweight Superstar Mirko Cro Cop and UFC President Dana White spend over an hour with the MMA media answering questions on anything and everything MMA related!

News and Notes from the UFC 70 Pre-Fight Media Conference Call

Mirko Cro Cop:

- Stated he enjoyed his time working for the Croatian Special Police. "It was a great time of my life, I enjoyed it very much" but had to quit when he joined Parliament. Is strongly considering joining again when he is done with his Parliament duties around November. Being in the Special Forces makes him very happy, and that is what is most important. He will be doing classroom work as well as field work, but it won't conflict with his job as a fighter.

- Is at one hundred percent health wise and ready to fight on Saturday.

- Will not be using the PRIDE theme music this time, going back "Wild Boys" when he enters. Declined to specify why he chose the PRIDE song for his first UFC bout, stating that it was personal.

- When asked if he'd do anything differently in a rematch with Fedor, Mirko said he would like to have a rematch scheduled, but is currently focused on his next fight, and then on capturing the UFC title. From there, we will see, but it is a fight he wants.

- Regarding Randy's age and if it will be a factor if/when they fight for the belt: "I don't think so, Randy has shown that age has nothing to do with the result. He was excellently prepared which is amazing for a man 43 years old."

- On the differences between the cage and ring, Mirko said the cage is bigger and you can't push your opponent into a corner nor will the ref restart the fight in the middle of the ring. That being said, "I have already adapted."

- Question: Did Serra beating Georges St. Pierre help keep you from becoming overconfident?
Mirko: I did not see the fight.

- About his fight with Gonzaga: "Gonzaga won't have answers on everything I can offer him."

- Mirko essentially brought MMA to Croatia. It was first seen in Croatia while he was fighting in PRIDE. He brought it there, and now it is very, very popular and many people are watching it.

- Has no preference who he fights next in the UFC, but has a feeling he will be fighting Big Nog very soon and is ready for that fight.

- Stated he is unable to cut weight to 205 for a fight with Chuck Liddell. "I have no space to go down, maybe if I chop off my hand or something. I definitely can't go down."

- Question: Mirko, you always seem calm and relaxed before your fights. Why is that?
Mirko: "I don't know, I don't know. I just feel that way. I am calm and concentrated. I honestly don't know how to answer. I have no nerves, nothing special. Every fighter has a feeling before the fight, but it is nothing special, it is just my job and it is a job I like to do. No special feelings."

- Question: Mirko, what did you think of the Randy Couture and Tim Sylvia fight?
Mirko: "I couldn't see the whole fight, just a few minutes on YouTube, I couldn't get the DVD. I just saw the first minutes of the first round… *pause* my manager just gave it to me… *pause* I will watch it tonight."

- Said it he doesn't like talking about Randy when he has a fight with Gonzaga first and believes it is a jinx to do so. He is taking Gonzaga seriously and after that fight we can discuss all the details of a Randy Couture fight.

- Regarding his Jiu-Jitsu: "I have trained Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu a lot, have experts in my gym, I feel comfortable even on the ground. I am aware he (Gonzaga) is a jiu-jitsu world champion, but I am pretty versed in ground fighting now, of course my basis is stand up, but even if we go to the ground, I am not scared."

- Question: What are the biggest problems Gonzaga presents in this fight?
Mirko: "Gonzaga is a solid, good fighter. He is a tough guy. He won't hesitate to fight toe to toe. He is a first class fighter. I will of course try to keep it in a stand up position. I don't want to underestimate him."

- Stated he felt Sanchez avoided the fight when they faced each other. Said it was hard and his first time fighting in a cage and that it is bigger than the ring and a little different. Plus Sanchez was running away so he had to run after him, which Mirko did not like.

Dana White:

- The reason Big Nog was brought into the UFC was he was without a contract and he'd been negotiating with him for the past month. It is a very new deal and they don't have a time or opponent figured out yet.

- Confirms once again that PRIDE will be conforming to the unified rules and round structures and weight classes, but they want PRIDE to be the same.

- The Ireland show will be on either PPV or Spike TV.

- The Lightweight Grand Prix weight class has not yet been decided on either 155lbs or 170lbs. There will be no UFC fighters in the tournament. The UFC and PRIDE are completely separate companies. "You won't see UFC vs. PRIDE until we do the big event."

- Wanderlei Silva vs. Chuck Liddell was the biggest fight in MMA until Silva was knocked out by Cro Cop and Henderson. Silva is a tough guy and a great fighter, but he will need to put together a few wins before he is able to fight Chuck Liddell.

- PRIDE will be keeping the ring and stay exactly the same… it will just go under unified rules.

- The UFC is currently working on figuring out Fedor's status. His contract wasn't exclusive to PRIDE, and the Zuffa doesn't do non-exclusive contracts. He does have a contract to PRIDE currently, but the UFC won't accept it in its non-exclusive state.

- Dana was asked if New Jersey allows knee strikes to a downed opponent's head, will Nevada follow suit. Said that is interesting as New Jersey was initially the state that didn't want them, but that is the one rule that is left that needs to be added.

- Question: What will keep MMA and the UFC from becoming a temporary fad?
Dana: We are growing in the US and all over the world, with the acquisition of PRIDE, we are aggressive guys and have big plans. A lot of the boxing promoters have reached in and pulled the life from the sport of boxing. We are doing the exact opposite and are dumping all the money we are making back into growing the industry.

- The UFC will debut on HBO this summer (It was unclear how certain of a deal this is, though Dana sounded rather confident it was going to be finalized in time). Dana was reluctant to give details, but eventually said that HBO will be doing the production and announcing of the UFC events on HBO and it wasn't easy for Dana to give that up to them, but he wouldn't sign something he wasn't comfortable with.

- ESPN will now be covering the UFC on a regular basis, including weigh ins and results.

- Regarding how the PPV events, HBO, and Spike shows will work together, Dana described HBO as the starting off point for well known international stars brought to the UFC, TUF winners, and guys who have battled through the ranks on Spike TV. The Ultimate Fight Nights would then be made up of other guys from TUF who are trying to climb the ranks. Obviously the PPV events would be the top of the ladder.

- "I'll go out on a limb here and guarantee that we will have a huge TV deal for PRIDE in the United States and Japan."

- Chicago, Washington D.C., Boston, and Atlanta are all being looked at to host UFC events in the near future.

- Inside the UFC isn't dead, they are currently working on a timetable on when to bring it back.

- About Cage Rage: The UFC and Pride need organizations like Cage Rage. We don't think they are going head to head with us, but we are not trying to stomp them out. We aren't trying to go head to head with them. They feed us fighters that will end up in the UFC and Pride.

- Question: If he were to sign with another promotion, would you stop him from doing that and put on an injunction?
Dana: Absolutely, he is not a free agent. I would pursue an injunction.

- If Arlovski wins, he will probably fight winner of Cro Cop/Couture.

- Sherk will fight on July 7th with Hermes Franca. Tito Ortiz and Evans, and the Anderson Silva fight in Sacramento.

- Not sure what will happen with the Dan Henderson title situation, but he won't be stripped of a belt. All PRIDE guys will stay in PRIDE.

- Question: All the upsets. How difficult does that make your job?
Dana: It's hard. I can never really plan ahead. This isn't the WWE. But it is what makes the sport so exciting. Everyone went into the fight knowing GSP would beat Serra. When that doesn't happen it is exciting.

- GSP will most likely be fighting next in August, not sure against who.

- Question: Shogun said he signed a contract for two UFC fights and two PRIDE fights, is that true?
Dana: I have no idea what he means. It's not true.

- Wanderlei Silva currently has four fights left in his six fight deal he signed.

- Regarding comments Tito Ortiz made about Dana White being a disgrace to fighters and the boxing match: Tito is living in a fucking bubble right now. You saw what happened. I showed up, he didn't. He's not afraid of me, but he has people around him telling him it was a bad idea. He is out there making himself look like a jackass. He should shut his face and worry about Rashad Evans.

- PRIDE show cards will be announced earlier, ala the UFC.

- There are not enough heavyweights out there to even pursue a super-heavyweight division. Pride won't be having crazy matchups anymore. PRIDE is still going to be the Japanese show that the fans of PRIDE liked. The things that will be changing will be on the business side. It won't change the actual show. All the PRIDE employees will be staying in place.

- PRIDE should be coming to the United States for an event this year still.

- Florida should be getting another event soon as well. Maybe an Ultimate Fight Night.

- Regarding Jerry Millen: "No hard feelings. I told him what was comin, he didn't want to listen. *laughs* I don't just say shit and not have it happen."

- PRIDE will be receiving a new announce team, this includes Frank Trigg being replaced.

IX_Equilibrium
04-20-2007, 08:16 AM
Now that Zuffa owns Pride, I wonder if Mirko will become less of a dick concerning media and fan accessibility. If he pisses of Dana and his contrat isn't renewed in the future, where would he go to get the big bucks?

BoDog, which is becoming a joke?

desflood
04-20-2007, 08:22 AM
From what I've heard, Crocop was pretty much a dick about media accessibility over in Pride also :lol

If the UFC lets Fedor slip through their fingers, I'm going to have to blow up Dana White's house. Maybe with him in it.

LEONARD
04-20-2007, 08:30 AM
Sweet...I was waiting for the rest of the conf call details... :fro

CC had only seen a few min's of of Couture-Sylvia on Youtube :lol I'm sure Dana loves to hear that as much as they try to keep their fights off of there...

"I'll go out on a limb here and guarantee that we will have a huge TV deal for PRIDE in the United States and Japan." :fro

"If Arlovski wins, he will probably fight winner of Cro Cop/Couture" :lol Dana not giving Gonzaga a shot? :lol

"PRIDE show cards will be announced earlier, ala the UFC" - :fro

"Dana revealed that Josh Barnett doesn't like him very much and isn't sure if it is one of those things that Josh just can't get over, though the Zuffa is interested in seeing him continue with them. It's all up to Josh what happens from here." - We better see Josh in either Pride or UFC...unless it's against Fedor in Bodog...

IX_Equilibrium
04-20-2007, 08:44 AM
I was pissed to hear that they are keeping Pride in a ring. :cuss

IX_Equilibrium
04-20-2007, 08:51 AM
Anyone watch the UFC 70 countdown after TUF?

From the little I saw of Gonzaga's training, he understands that he needs to close the distance to keep from getting KO'd by a kick, but does he have the tools to do anything after he closes the distance?

For instance, Couture is a master of dirty boxing in the clench. A. Silva is obviously extremely dangerous with his Thai clench and knees. Has anyone seen what Gonzaga can do in the clinch? Maybe he does have skills. He had better have some if he is successfull at closing the distance.

LEONARD
04-20-2007, 09:09 AM
I crashed early and missed the Countdown show...will catch it tonight.

I haven't seen too much of Gonzaga (just his UFC fights)...he better have a big bag of tricks if he's going to have any chance at all IMO.

LEONARD
04-20-2007, 10:29 AM
Pre-fight press conf and some fighter videos are showing up...
http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=MultiMedia.video

Werdum - "I will expose Arlovksi's glass jaw" :ihit

Weigh-in results
http://www.thefightnetwork.com/news_detail.php?nid=3674

The temptations of European cuisine seem not to have deterred fighters on this weekend’s UFC 70 “Nations Collide,” with all fighters making weight comfortably. The event will mark the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s return in some five-and-a half-eyars to the UK, this time at the MEN Arena, in Manchester, England.

The only major surprise on the scale was Cheick Kongo weighing in at 229, having slimmed down 11 pounds from his regular fighting weight. With opponent Assuerio Silva (241) displaying a notably larger frame, it appears Frenchman Kongo may have opted for a speed and conditioning-based strategy.

Around 500 fans attended the weigh-ins at the unconventional location of the Manchester orchestral concert hall and Michael Bisping received the expected thunderous ovation as he went nose to nose with Australian opponent Elvis Sinosic, the only fighter to receive playful booing during the event.

Main eventer Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic earned the second loudest reception, with several of his home supporters having made the trip clad in Croatia’s national soccer team shirts. Also receiving notably cheers was Andrei Arlovksi, sporting an impressive diamond-encrusted gold chain which host Joe Rogan quipped was probably responsible for his five pounds advantage over Fabricio Werdum.

With the event voluntarily following Nevada State Athletic Commission guidelines, former executive director Marc Ratner was appropriately supervisor for the weigh-ins. Added local flavor came with the results being announced in both the traditional straight pounds and the European system of stones and pounds.

UFC 70 “Nations Collide” Official Weigh-In Results:

Preliminary bouts:

Edilberto Crocota (169 lbs) vs. Paul Taylor (169 lbs)
Denis Siver (167) vs. Jess Liaudin (168)
Victor Valimaki (203) vs. Alessio Sakara (204)
Junior Assuncao (155) vs. David Lee (155)
Matt Grice (155) vs. Terry Etim (154)

Main card:

Cheick Kongo (229) vs. Assuerio Silva (241)
Andrei Arlovski (238) vs. Fabricio Werdum (233)
Michael Bisping (204) vs. Elvis Sinosic (205)
David Heath (205) vs. Lyoto Machida (199)
Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic (225) vs. Gabriel Gonzaga (243)

LEONARD
04-20-2007, 10:47 AM
Crocop article
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18197148/

Former anti-terror commando tops UFC 70
'Cro Cop' Filipovic will battle Brazilian jujitsu specialist Gonzaga in England

MIXED MARTIAL ARTS NOTEBOOOK
By David A. Avila
MSNBC contributor
Updated: 4:09 p.m. CT April 19, 2007

When Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic walks into an arena the first thing you notice are those massive legs sticking out of those fitted shorts looking like walking tree trunks.

“I have big legs,” Filipovic says.

Those quick-striking legs have carried Filipovic (22-4-2) to the pinnacle of kickboxing, mixed martial arts and now to Manchester, England where he’ll meet Gabriel Gonzaga (7-1) in Ultimate Fighting Championship 70 called “Nations Collide.” The MMA card will be televised on Spike TV on Saturday April 21.
Story continues below ↓advertisement

England’s calling for Cro Cop.

It’s the second time UFC has hit British shores but this time the climate for American-style MMA action is more receptive. Plus the fact one of Europe’s most revered combatants has a part in it.

“We’re excited to be back in the UK,” said Dana White, president of UFC. “The arena is sold out. We have a stacked card with Mirko Cro Cop facing Gonzaga.”

Gonzaga’s no slouch.

“Gonzaga can really fight,” said Don Leonard, a MMA reporter for a California magazine. “He’s not an easy guy to fight.”

The 27-year-old Brazilian jujitsu specialist now trains out of Ludlow, Mass. and has seven wins with one mere loss.

“Gonzaga can beat Cro Cop,” Dino says. “He’s just not famous.”

Filipovic’s fame in the world of MMA is no accident. Throughout his career Filipovic has built a reputation with his no-nonsense posture inside the ring and effortless fighting style built on effective but brutal strikes.

But he has another side too.

The man of many faces currently serves on Croatia’s Parliament, was a former commando in the Croatian police anti-terrorist unit stationed in Lucko near Zagreb. That’s how the name Cro Cop was tabbed on him.

“I was a member of the special police,” Filipovic, 32, said during a telephone press conference. “It was a great time of my life. I enjoyed it.”

He’s also enjoying the last six months of his term in Parliament where he concentrates on working for police services.

‘It was a big challenge for me to be a Member of Parliament,” Filipovic said. “But it was worth it.”

With only six months left in the political arena, he’s turning full force to the octagon where he made his debut on Feb. 3, 2007 beating Eddie Sanchez. He probably beat him before the fight even started.

“I might have been a little nervous,” Sanchez said after being stopped by the steely-eyed Cro Cop in the first round.

Looking at the listless face of Filipovic, it’s easy to imagine he wears that same dispassionate look while performing as a commando. But listening to him talk it’s easy to see a commitment to public service. He cares about people.

Just don’t step in the octagon. That’s his territory.

Slide show: The Week in Sports Pictures

Those powerful legs first propelled him to a tournament championship in K-1 where his high leg kicks have stopped opponents and dropped them like sacks of grain.

During a K-1 Grand Prix tournament in 1999, he entered the final four as a wild card entry and proceeded to upset the favorite Mike Bernardo.

In 2001, Filipovic added MMA to kickboxing and joined Pride FC where faced its top-notch fighters including Aleksander Emelianenko and later his brother Fedor Emelianenko considered the best MMA fighter in the world.

After knocking out the younger Emelianenko, then came the test of strength against the older brother Fedor who also holds the Pride heavyweight championship. For three rounds both combatants fought to their strengths: Filipovic angling for his powerful leg kicks to the head and Fedor his swift and deadly fists.

It ended in a close but unanimous decision for Emelianenko. That match took place two years ago. Filipovic wants a rematch.

“I definitely would like a rematch with Fedor, but right now I’m thinking about my next fight,” Filipovic says with the tact of a seasoned politician. “”Gonzaga is a tough guy. He won’t hesitate to go toe-to-toe. I have to be careful.”

Fedor Emelianenko wins
Fighting in St. Petersburg, Russia, the Pride FC heavyweight champion Emelianenko forced challenger Matt Lindland to surrender with an arm bar at 2:58 of the first round. The match was promoted by BodogFight last Saturday April 14.

Though Emelianenko has a contract with Pride FC, a company that was bought by UFC, the Russian’s agreement allows him to fight with other organizations if fought in his homeland.

“His contract wasn’t an exclusive contract with Pride,” said UFC’s White about Emelianenko. “We don’t do nonexclusive contracts with anybody.”

* Coming events
April 21 – Cage Rage 21, in London, England at Wembley Arena.
* April 21 – UFC 70, in Manchester, England at MEN Arena.
* MMA televised events
* April 21 – UFC 70 features Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic (22-4-2) vs. Gabriel Gonzaga (7-1); Andrei Arlovski vs. Fabricio Werdum; Michael Bisping vs. Elvis Sinosic. Will be shown on SPIKE TV at 9 p.m. (ET and PT).
* April 21 – Cage Rage 21 features Bob Sapp (8-2-1) vs. Gary Turner (1-0-1); Vitor Belfort vs. Ivan Serati; Evangelista Santos vs. James Zikic. Will be shown on www.proelite.com at 3 p.m. (ET) 12 p.m. (PT).

LEONARD
04-20-2007, 02:25 PM
Weigh-in Pics
http://www.sherdog.com/news/pictures.asp?n_id=7317

LEONARD
04-20-2007, 05:45 PM
Weigh-in video...

http://video.nbcsports.com/player/?id=93618

enjoy the fights, bitches...

mardigan
04-20-2007, 05:47 PM
Im so pumped up about this, I cant wait. We get playoff b-ball all day and fighting all night. If only tommorrow had been 420 it would have been a perfect day

IX_Equilibrium
04-20-2007, 06:30 PM
Weigh-in video...

http://video.nbcsports.com/player/?id=93618

enjoy the fights, bitches...

Does Rogan know that he is holding a microphone and doesn't have to shout at the top of his lungs?

IX_Equilibrium
04-21-2007, 08:34 AM
I'm going with AA to win. Should be a damn good fight though.

dallaskd
04-21-2007, 02:25 PM
im pumped!

ALVAREZ6
04-21-2007, 06:07 PM
-Mirko Cro Cop(#2 HW) vs. Gabriel Gonzaga

dallaskd
04-21-2007, 06:37 PM
-Mirko Cro Cop(#2 HW) vs.Gabriel Gonzaga
-Andrei Arlovski (#7 HW) vs. Fabricio Werdum(#8 HW)

Alot of upsets here.

dallaskd
04-21-2007, 06:38 PM
I want Sinosic and Arlovski to win though.

Horry For 3!
04-21-2007, 08:03 PM
I am bout to go to my friends house to watch this.

Horry For 3!
04-21-2007, 08:04 PM
Cro Cop is bad ass

mardigan
04-21-2007, 08:54 PM
-Mirko Cro Cop(#2 HW) vs. Gabriel Gonzaga
Are you just trying to go out on a limb with Gonzaga are do you not no much about MMA?

ALVAREZ6
04-21-2007, 09:07 PM
Are you just trying to go out on a limb with Gonzaga are do you not no much about MMA?We'll see what happens...:smokin

BTW, I'm not that big of a UFC guy, I only am framiliar with the big name guys, I probably could only name 20 fighters tops. But I do like Arlovski.

That Silva dude was pathetic, he has a vagina.

djohn14
04-21-2007, 09:23 PM
Kongo is a bad ass. If your an MMA fighter, your a man. I don't care if it is female MMA.

dallaskd
04-21-2007, 09:45 PM
Kongo is a bad ass. If your an MMA fighter, your a man. I don't care if it is female MMA.

I thought Silva won.

djohn14
04-21-2007, 09:46 PM
Nah, Kongo.

dallaskd
04-21-2007, 09:50 PM
Its a shame Matt Grice had to loose. He was dominating. It wonder why he didnt tap. I thought bisping might have been gone with that kimora. That should be it with Elvis Sinosic unless Dana brings him back to let another TUF winner run over him. :lol

Im 2-0 on my predictions so far!

dallaskd
04-21-2007, 10:02 PM
Im changing my pick to Arlovski right before the fight.

mardigan
04-21-2007, 10:04 PM
Thats probably a good move Dallas. If someone would teach Congo how to sprawl and wreste he would be unstoppable. Bisping looked great

mardigan
04-21-2007, 10:05 PM
We'll see what happens...:smokin

BTW, I'm not that big of a UFC guy, I only am framiliar with the big name guys, I probably could only name 20 fighters tops. But I do like Arlovski.

That Silva dude was pathetic, he has a vagina.
Wasnt trying to talk shit just wondering. If you havent seen Cro fight this will be fun for you, guy is a monster

mardigan
04-21-2007, 10:12 PM
Andre looked good in that 1st round. I absolutely love watching him fight

dallaskd
04-21-2007, 10:12 PM
The Arlovski fight is great through the first.

dallaskd
04-21-2007, 10:13 PM
Andre looked good in that 1st round. I absolutely love watching him fight

Hes fun too watch and dangerous but is known to get knocked out when he gets too over-agressive

dallaskd
04-21-2007, 10:14 PM
Werdum held his own in the first round. Ill give him that. Andre isnt going to get in his guard. Werdum has an ugly ass shot. He needs to get this to the ground fast.

mardigan
04-21-2007, 10:20 PM
Andre took some shots and it didnt look like it affected him. He looks stronger. That 2nd round was pretty boring though. Werdums thighs are fucked

dallaskd
04-21-2007, 10:25 PM
Im watching the rangers game right now. SHUT OUT! stars won today too!

dallaskd
04-21-2007, 10:26 PM
:sleep

mardigan
04-21-2007, 10:26 PM
2nd and 3rd rounds where boring as hell, you didnt miss much.

dallaskd
04-21-2007, 10:28 PM
2nd and 3rd rounds where boring as hell, you didnt miss much.

cool i just turned it back for the decision. i changed it after halfway through the 2nd.

mardigan
04-21-2007, 10:56 PM
Wow, Ill give it up to you Alvarez, good pick

DarkReign
04-21-2007, 10:57 PM
Omg!

DarkReign
04-21-2007, 10:57 PM
Holy shit Gonzaga

mardigan
04-21-2007, 10:58 PM
Cros knee looked fucking sick

dallaskd
04-21-2007, 10:59 PM
HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!!!! omfg. DAMMNNN!!!

DarkReign
04-21-2007, 11:00 PM
That was THE most devastating kick I have ever seen.

DarkReign
04-21-2007, 11:01 PM
You know Leonard is crying in his beer (lol Leo).

mardigan
04-21-2007, 11:01 PM
It was fucking dirty

tlongII
04-21-2007, 11:09 PM
I thought Cro Cop might have been seriously injured after that shot. I'm glad to see that he's ok.

dallaskd
04-21-2007, 11:18 PM
what the hell happened to the David Heath fight? did it not air, i was changing back from the Rangers and Stars game. did i just miss it or something?

Slinkyman
04-21-2007, 11:34 PM
now i see why it was free

dallaskd
04-22-2007, 12:06 AM
That was THE most devastating kick I have ever seen.

Rashad Evans- Sean Salmon

Chuck- Babalu

???

dallaskd
04-22-2007, 12:07 AM
now i see why it was free

what?

dallaskd
04-22-2007, 12:10 AM
How could you watch TUF5 again after watching this?

IX_Equilibrium
04-22-2007, 01:55 AM
Holy shit! This is the year of upsets. Gonzaga shocked the world. Now CAPTAIN AMERICA, THE NATURAL, RANDY COUTURE will remain heavyweight champ after beating Gonzaga.

Yes, I said it. Randy will beat Gonzaga.

Side Note* - Randy isn't the smartest fighter in MMA for nothing. He picked Gonzaga to win the fight.

IX_Equilibrium
04-22-2007, 01:59 AM
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/3025/snapshot20070422002731bd0.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i29/ryb3001/InsideWarehouse_300copycopy.jpg

Horry For 3!
04-22-2007, 03:49 AM
Cro Cop got fuckin destroyed. That shit wasn't even funny.

sa_butta
04-22-2007, 09:26 AM
Bispeng looked real good, He almost got submitted but he was able to get out of it.

IX_Equilibrium
04-22-2007, 09:37 AM
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q83/Mattiasblogger/UFC70/crocopgonzaga1.gif

dallaskd
04-22-2007, 10:17 AM
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q83/Mattiasblogger/UFC70/crocopgonzaga1.gif

damn :dizzy

IX_Equilibrium
04-22-2007, 10:18 AM
Crocop got Crocopped

ALVAREZ6
04-22-2007, 11:12 AM
I thought Silva won.Are you kidding me? Silva basically offered himself to Kongo. He sucked on his feet, and well, I guess he's supposed to when he's going against a guy with much longer reach, but he managed to take Kongo down a bunch of times and didn't do nothing. It was almost the most boring fight I've ever seen, when they were on the ground, Silva just layed on him and did nothing.

ALVAREZ6
04-22-2007, 11:14 AM
Are you just trying to go out on a limb with Gonzaga are do you not no much about MMA?Wait, what happened?

:ihit

Gonzaga guaranteed the victory.

mardigan
04-22-2007, 11:14 AM
Yea, Congo dominated the fight. Silva had a couple of good slams, but did less than any fighter I have ever seen with ground position

mardigan
04-22-2007, 11:15 AM
Wow, Ill give it up to you Alvarez, good pick
What else do you need?

ALVAREZ6
04-22-2007, 11:17 AM
What else do you need?:lol I'm just messin around

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCe_HD4WKJw

Watch that crap, he could have taken Cro Cops life. That shit was nasty.

sa_butta
04-22-2007, 11:22 AM
That shit was crazy looking at it again, and he hit him twice after he was knocked the fuck out. Does anyone know if he indeed broke his ankle?

IX_Equilibrium
04-22-2007, 12:07 PM
http://www.upshizzle.com/pfiles/2705/Cro%20Cop%20gets%20a%20taste%20of%20his%20own%20me dicine...%20Napaownage.gif

http://www.upshizzle.com/pthumbs/large/2709/Napowned.gif

IX_Equilibrium
04-22-2007, 12:09 PM
http://dnevnik.hr/media/images///extra/Apr2007//44512.jpg

IX_Equilibrium
04-22-2007, 12:13 PM
http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/5898/poster46368982em9uo4.jpg

sa_butta
04-22-2007, 12:27 PM
http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/5898/poster46368982em9uo4.jpgThis is craziness, I cant believe it myself. I hope these things are not being set up.

dallaskd
04-22-2007, 12:32 PM
Are you kidding me? Silva basically offered himself to Kongo. He sucked on his feet, and well, I guess he's supposed to when he's going against a guy with much longer reach, but he managed to take Kongo down a bunch of times and didn't do nothing. It was almost the most boring fight I've ever seen, when they were on the ground, Silva just layed on him and did nothing.

He slammed Kongo time after time. It was identical to St Pierre-Penn. Penn won the standup war the whole fight, but Pierre got the take-downs.

IX_Equilibrium
04-22-2007, 12:41 PM
I hope these things are not being set up.

No way. Especially since some of these upsets don't present an ideal business situation. For example, Crocop vs. Randy would have been far more marketable than Randy vs. Gonzaga.

sa_butta
04-22-2007, 12:44 PM
No way. Especially since some of these upsets don't present an ideal business situation. For example, Crocop vs. Randy would have been far more marketable than Randy vs. Gonzaga.true but the upset factor is more exciting and since Gonzaga beat Crocop that makes it easily marketable. The way he dominated him the first round and then beat him at his own game. I doubt they are set up, but its just strange. I cant wait for Chuck and Rampage.

sa_butta
04-22-2007, 12:45 PM
Was it me or did Sera sound gay when talking about Hughes and Coture? He was saying how sweet and nice they are. Give me a fuckin break.

dallaskd
04-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Tito-Rashad is in 72 right?

dallaskd
04-22-2007, 12:47 PM
Was it me or did Sera sound gay when talking about Hughes and Coture? He was saying how sweet and nice they are. Give me a fuckin break.

He said Chris Lytle and Georges St. Pierre were sweet. He said Hughes was a dick and said nothing about Couture.

IX_Equilibrium
04-22-2007, 12:49 PM
Steups are rare if not nonexistant in MMA. I think there was talk of it happening in Pride 8 or so years ago, but it doesn't even come up in the UFC. Besides, who would stand there and take a brutal ko.

Serra was funny as hell. He was just making the point that Lytle and GSP are nice guys that he likes, while Hughes is a dick, so it will be more motivation to fight him. Hughes is one of my favorite fighters, but I will admit Serra made me laugh with those comments.

sa_butta
04-22-2007, 12:50 PM
Tito-Rashad is in 72 right?yeah and Rich Franklin is on the card as well.

dallaskd
04-22-2007, 12:51 PM
Serra was funny as hell. He was just making the point that Lytle and GSP are nice guys that he likes, while Hughes is a dick, so it will be more motivation to fight him. Hughes is one of my favorite fighters, but I will admit Serra made me laugh with those comments.

Its funny because he called Lytle a sweetie and St Pierre a sweetheart. But now Hughes well hes a dick. :lol Serra is cool guy.

sa_butta
He said Chris Lytle and Georges St. Pierre were sweet. He said Hughes was a dick and said nothing about Couture.Thats right he said Hughes was a "nice dick". :lol

dallaskd
yeah and Rich Franklin is on the card as well.

...its the main event...

IX_Equilibrium
04-22-2007, 12:52 PM
Tito-Rashad is in 72 right?

sa_butta
04-22-2007, 12:52 PM
Its funny because he called Lytle a sweetie and St Pierre a sweetheart. But now Hughes well hes a dick. :lol Serra is cool guy.It was just funny to me, I think he is still star struck, but good for him. I guess we will see how good he really is.

IX_Equilibrium
04-22-2007, 12:53 PM
UFC 73 — July 7 (Las Vegas, Nev.)
Champion Anderson Silva vs. Nate Marquardt (for middleweight title)
Tito Ortiz vs. Rashad Evans
Jorge Gurgel vs. Jamie Varner

sa_butta
04-22-2007, 12:53 PM
...its the main event...Oh I havent updated last rumors were 72 so its 73 for Tito and Evans.

dallaskd
04-22-2007, 12:56 PM
UFC 73 — July 7 (Las Vegas, Nev.)
Champion Anderson Silva vs. Nate Marquardt (for middleweight title)
Tito Ortiz vs. Rashad Evans
Jorge Gurgel vs. Jamie Varner

thank you!

IX_Equilibrium
04-22-2007, 12:56 PM
Thats right he said Hughes was a "nice dick". :lol

No, it was "talented dick"

"Hughes is a dick. He's a talented dick, but a dick."

IX_Equilibrium
04-22-2007, 12:57 PM
UFC 71

Champion Chuck Liddell vs. Quinton Jackson (for light heavyweight championship)
Josh Burkman vs. Karo Parisyan
Keith Jardine vs. Houston Alexander
Chris Leben vs. Kalib Starnes
Jeremy Stephens vs. Din Thomas
James Irvin vs. Thiago Silva
Terry Martin vs. Ivan Salaverry
Sean Salmon vs. Eric Schaffer
Wilson Gouveia vs. Carmelo Marrero

Horry For 3!
04-22-2007, 01:34 PM
Cro Cop thought Gonzaga was going to kick his ribs because he went to block the leg kick but where the ribs are. He just kicks the shit out him though against the temple.

ALVAREZ6
04-22-2007, 03:18 PM
upsets keep sports interesting, without them, sports suck

I can't wait to see Rampage - Liddell

IX_Equilibrium
04-22-2007, 05:31 PM
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q83/Mattiasblogger/UFC70/gonzagacrocop8.gif

IX_Equilibrium
04-23-2007, 09:16 AM
Because of the success of the UFC in Manchester, more events will be taking place overseas.

LEONARD
04-23-2007, 09:16 AM
I don't even know what to say...what an F'd up year this has been. I'm going to start betting $20 on every underdog on every card...

Terrible choice by CC to keep closed guard and just eat elbows for several minutes. WTF was that??? I know he's not used to taking them in fights, but damn...that just didn't look like him in any way. And to end THAT way? Insane. Crocop's leg is ok ("stretched ligaments" in his words) and he'll be back to finish his 4 fights on his contract. I expect him to come back like he has after his other losses...he obviously thought Gonzaga was Eddie Sanchez's little brother or something. It's simply amazing how many ridiculous comments I've seen after this fight...not even worth discussing with some idiots. $hit happens...he had a terrible night, Gonzaga had a great gameplan, and that's that. I didn't see many people picking Gonzaga ahead of time, but there sure is a lot of $hit talking experts after the fact (not just here, in general). Crocop is a great fighter, but he got dominated. He'll be back and he'll make a title run with his last 4 fights...

Very disappointed in the AA-Werdum fight. Started out looking great and turned into a turd for the last 2 rounds. I expected Werdum to be able to get Arlovski to the ground. I wouldn't be shocked if Dana threw AA at Couture instead of Gonzaga. Even Dana gave Gonzaga no chance based on his comments last week...he does NOT want Gonzaga - Couture to happen...guaranteed.

Bisping was dominant as expected since they fed him a can (you're know you're a can when one of the announcers calls you a "gatekeeper"...it's one thing to think it, another to say it). Although that kimura was pretty close. I don't think Bisping's stand-up looked too great though???

Silva-Kongo sucked balls. I expected Kongo to get taken down at will and eventually submitted, but Silva just did nothing. Terrible fight...

Etim-Grice wasn't bad...gotta watch those skinny armed guys and their guillotine attempts. Etim showed that he can take a lot of shots and Grice showed a good GnP....

Kinda funny that they didn't air Machida-Heath after they hyped it instead of Werdum-AA, which was ridiculous. I watched it last night, and it was better than Kongo-Silva at least... :lol

cool i just turned it back for the decision. i changed it after halfway through the 2nd.

WTF...the Rangers??? I thought you were an MMA fan... :wtf

You know Leonard is crying in his beer (lol Leo).

I would think that true MMA fans wanted CC to win...who gives a flying fuck about Gonzaga-Couture?? I know I don't...

Maybe Gonzaga is the next big thing...I highly doubt it though...

IX_Equilibrium
04-23-2007, 10:44 AM
I would think that true MMA fans wanted CC to win...who gives a flying fuck about Gonzaga-Couture?? I know I don't...

I disagree with that statement. I think that true MMA fans are less susceptible to the hype and the "aura" of a big name like Crocop than the wave of the newer fans coming out. While I didn't pick Gonzaga to win, a certainly knew that he had a chance if he would get Crocop on the ground. I just didn't think that if he won he would KO Crocop in a Crocop-like fashion.

The point is, I think Gonzaga is deserving more than anybody to face Couture. So what if he is not as well known? His fight certainly was a hell of alot more exciting than Arlovski's, and he created one of the most exciting moments ever in MMA. Yes, the fight is less marketable than CC vs. Randy, but as someone who has followed MMA closely for over 13 years, I guarantee you I want to see that fight, as do many others who are like me.

LEONARD
04-23-2007, 10:50 AM
I understand your point, and I'm not saying that Gonzaga isn't worthy. Anybody that can finish CC like that is worthy. I'll still watch Gonzaga-Couture just like every other fight, but I wanted to see 2 of the biggest names in the sport go at it, not a legend and an up and coming fighter. Plenty of time to see Gonzaga fight, but we just missed the chance to see CC-Couture...

I'm all for guys that aren't big names getting shots. I hate seeing the same few guys in title fights over and over again (Arlovski - Sylvia series, Hughes getting a quick return after beating Lytle, etc etc) in order to get "big names" that'll sell fights back into headliner fights. CC-Couture was probably a 1 time opportunity, especially for a title. I just feel like all MMA fans missed out on something special...

IX_Equilibrium
04-23-2007, 11:07 AM
but I wanted to see 2 of the biggest names in the sport go at it, not a legend and an up and coming fighter.

Sure, I can understand that. I just to think its fair to say, "Who gives a fuck about Gonzaga?"

As far as will he be the next best thing, why do you highly doubt it? You know he is confident and proficient on his feet, and the ground if obviously his forte. I think he would have a great shot at beating anyone in the heavyweight division. I'm not saying he would beat everyone, but he certainly is a force in the HW division.

IX_Equilibrium
04-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Hughes getting a quick return after beating Lytle, etc etc)

Come on man, I know you are not a fan of Hughes, but the guy was a dominant champ for so long. Most guys who lose the title get rubber matches. Hughes voluntarily wanted to fight someone before going back to the title. He deserves it.

If you don't like Hughes going for the title again, you must not like that Franklin is getting a shot either.

LEONARD
04-23-2007, 11:30 AM
Sure, I can understand that. I just to think its fair to say, "Who gives a fuck about Gonzaga?"

As far as will he be the next best thing, why do you highly doubt it? You know he is confident and proficient on his feet, and the ground if obviously his forte. I think he would have a great shot at beating anyone in the heavyweight division. I;m not saying he would beat everyone, but he certainly is a force in the HW division.

Time will tell...

I just think he had a great night and Crocop took him lightly...

Come on man, I know you are not a fan of Hughes, but the guy was a dominant champ for so long. Most guys who lose the title get rubber matches. Hughes voluntarily wanted to fight someone before going back to the title. He deserves it.

If you don't like Hughes going for the title again, you must not like that Franklin is getting a shot either.

I'm definitely not a Hughes fan...I don't like his fighting style or his attitude. I would rather he have fought somebody that was moving up the ladder, not somebody that just lost on TUF 4. He says he wanted Diego but Dana didn't give it to him...who knows if that's true. THAT is what annoys me...when Dana goes out of his way to make sure his money makers get back to title fights. One fight and back to a title fight is ok by me as long as that one fight is a test. Lytle was not a test IMO. The WW division is very deep and there are guys (like Jon Fitch) that aren't getting any exposure whatsoever. I just think there were better, more challenging matchups for Hughes...

Franklin will have fought twice between title fights, assuming he beats Kampmann and gets one against Silva - Marquardt winner. And he'll have fought 2 solid up and coming fighters, not one re-tread like Lytle. I don't have a problem with Franklin getting a shot after Kampmann...

IX_Equilibrium
04-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Well, with Hughes being a dominant champ for so long and him passing the chance for a rubber match on his own volition, I think he desrves it. Especially since there have been rubber matches before.

IX_Equilibrium
04-23-2007, 02:04 PM
haha, Crocop's foot.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c35/pirurris/Twisterbig1.gif

LEONARD
04-23-2007, 03:04 PM
I wish I knew PS... :lol

Poor guy...he's one of the all-time badasses and he's going to make every KO highlight reel forever now, for the wrong reason...

I just don't see how his foot could do that without suffering a torn __________ (you name it)

Has to be the biggest combo of crazy KO & upset in the same fight...

dallaskd
04-23-2007, 04:22 PM
I dont feel bad for Cro Cop. He has to learn to block that shit.

LEONARD
04-23-2007, 04:53 PM
I dont feel bad for Cro Cop. He has to learn to block that shit.

He defended what he thought was a body kick, but he was wrong...

LEONARD
04-24-2007, 12:35 PM
Ratings
http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/3493/105/

UFC 70 in Manchester did a 1.84 rating and 2.8 million viewers over three hours on Spike TV. It was the second highest-rated UFC special in history behind Shamrock/Ortiz. It peaked at 3.5 million viewers for the Gonzaga vs. Crocop fight at 11:45 PM, which is quite the number at that hour.

Here's a few CC articles...

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=3825

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=557395

http://ufcmania.com/2007/04/24/ufc-quick-quote-elbows-contributed-to-cro-cop-ko/

dallaskd
04-24-2007, 04:55 PM
If it wasnt on Spike there is no way it gets that kind of ratings.

ALVAREZ6
04-24-2007, 05:07 PM
haha, Crocop's foot.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c35/pirurris/Twisterbig1.gifThat's how his foot actually landed and twisted...it looked like he tore his knee and ankle apart. Watch the replays

LEONARD
04-25-2007, 08:02 AM
If it wasnt on Spike there is no way it gets that kind of ratings.

Huh??

That's how his foot actually landed and twisted...it looked like he tore his knee and ankle apart. Watch the replays

Damn...I missed that!! That's messed up...

tlongII
04-25-2007, 09:43 AM
Cro Cop obviously has tremendous flexibility! :LOL

LEONARD
04-26-2007, 01:11 PM
Couture just predicted that Rampage would beat Chuck on Beatdown Radio...

Hmmmmmmmm... :ihit

ALVAREZ6
04-26-2007, 05:23 PM
Couture just predicted that Rampage would beat Chuck on Beatdown Radio...

Hmmmmmmmm... :ihitI think Rampage will win too. Not taking anything away from Liddell though.

I wanna see a Royal Rumble type thing where a bunch of the biggest name guys go at it:

Couture
Liddell
Rampage Jackson
Gonzaga
Tito Ortiz
Ken Shamrock (why not?)
Cro Cop
Arlovski
Sylvia

let all of those guys go at it in one octagon.

ALVAREZ6
04-26-2007, 05:24 PM
Actually, I take that back. Make it a team event. Add another guy and have a 5 vs. 5 battle.

LEONARD
04-26-2007, 05:32 PM
I wanna see a Royal Rumble type thing where a bunch of the biggest name guys go at it:

Couture
Liddell
Rampage Jackson
Gonzaga
Tito Ortiz
Ken Shamrock (why not?)
Cro Cop
Arlovski
Sylvia

let all of those guys go at it in one octagon.

:bang :lol

Actually, I take that back. Make it a team event. Add another guy and have a 5 vs. 5 battle.

Heard of the IFL?? ;)

IX_Equilibrium
04-26-2007, 06:45 PM
Gabriel Gonzaga Music Video

WTF?

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=4791530&blogID=257717392&MyToken=3188babe-4163-4f22-9c65-fa6d008219d5

ALVAREZ6
04-26-2007, 07:37 PM

Heard of the IFL?? ;)Nope

LEONARD
04-27-2007, 07:57 AM
Gabriel Gonzaga Music Video

WTF?

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=4791530&blogID=257717392&MyToken=3188babe-4163-4f22-9c65-fa6d008219d5

That was my thought when I saw that... :lol

IX_Equilibrium
04-29-2007, 08:48 AM
Looks like Gonzaga earned an extra 30K for ko of the night.