PDA

View Full Version : Mavs Resting Players

LEONARD
04-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Just in case anybody thinks the Mavs care about # of wins...

Dirk, Stack, and Damp aren't making the trip to Minnesota. Damp due to shoulder injury but Stack and Dirk are fine. Against Utah, 2 more (probably Jet and Howard) won't play.

I'm not crazy about this. The Mavs haven't played that well lately and I'd hate for them to get more out of sync (still trying to get George and Buckner back into the flow). I'm curious to see how AJ plays this in the last 2 or 3 games...

monosylab1k
04-10-2007, 04:45 PM
I think this is a good idea...because they've got round 1 of the playoffs to get in sync (and I really don't see our round 2 opponent giving us too much trouble either, we're just warming up for the showdown with SA in the conference finals).

The only exception is the Golden State game, where I want all hands on deck and guns blazing. Just to get everyone to shut the fuck up with the "Golden State might beat you in round 1!" talk.

Xylus
04-10-2007, 04:46 PM
Golden State might beat you in Round 1!

...but I highly doubt it.

I wish the Suns could rest their players, but we've got to keep playing the next few games to stay ahead of the Spurs. Hopefully we win the next couple so that our starters can sit out the last two games of the season (or at least cut their minutes to something like 20-25 minutes a game). Give Jalen Rose, Pat Burke, and Marcus Banks some playing time...

mardigan
04-10-2007, 04:48 PM

Dirk, Stack, and Damp aren't making the trip to Minnesota. Damp due to shoulder injury but Stack and Dirk are fine. Against Utah, 2 more (probably Jet and Howard) won't play.

I'm not crazy about this. The Mavs haven't played that well lately and I'd hate for them to get more out of sync (still trying to get George and Buckner back into the flow). I'm curious to see how AJ plays this in the last 2 or 3 games...
Im not crazy about it either. Remember when the Colts had the best record, and took the last couple of games off to rest their starters? Didnt work out to well for them . i know the sports are completely diiferent animals, but going into the playoffs with your team chemistry high is always good

Amuseddaysleeper
04-10-2007, 05:00 PM
Yeah, if I'm Avery, that's a very smart idea.

You guys pretty much have earned yourselves a golden ticket to the wcf with the way houston and utah have been playing lately

leemajors
04-10-2007, 05:03 PM
i can see them not playing, but is there any reason they won't be making the trip?

CubanMustGo
04-10-2007, 05:13 PM
Much more relaxing to stay at home than to hop on a plane, sleep one night in a hotel, and hop back on a plane the next day. If you're gonna rest your players, you let them rest!

Skip Bayless
04-10-2007, 06:31 PM
i can see them not playing, but is there any reason they won't be making the trip?

maybe cause they're not playing

:frying: :frying: :frying: :frying: :frying:

mavsfan1000
04-10-2007, 06:38 PM
I know there's a risk of injury if you play them but the mavs need to be in sync coming into the playoffs. They started out the season 0-4 due to being out of sync.

Dalhoop
04-10-2007, 06:46 PM
AJ said that if he saw Dirk on the plane to Minni that he was going to fine him :)

I don't mind it so much now, we end with something like six games in ten days, so its better to rest now then to were the team out late in the season in games that don't matter.

As for geting out of step with the rest of the team, it should be too much of a problem, last night he played about 40 minutes.

Findog
04-10-2007, 07:31 PM
Im not crazy about it either. Remember when the Colts had the best record, and took the last couple of games off to rest their starters? Didnt work out to well for them . i know the sports are completely diiferent animals, but going into the playoffs with your team chemistry high is always good

You just can't win. Knock on wood, if one of our key guys were to suffer an injury that would render him unavailable for the playoffs, we'd be criticized for playing him.

td4mvp21
04-10-2007, 07:35 PM
I think this is a good idea...because they've got round 1 of the playoffs to get in sync (and I really don't see our round 2 opponent giving us too much trouble either, we're just warming up for the showdown with SA in the conference finals).

The only exception is the Golden State game, where I want all hands on deck and guns blazing. Just to get everyone to shut the fuck up with the "Golden State might beat you in round 1!" talk.

I was thinking about the GS thing, but what if the Mavs play everyone and still lose? That wouldn't be a good thing.

SpursDynasty
04-10-2007, 08:42 PM

If they didn't care about wins, they'd rest Dirk, Howard, and Terry. Stackhouse and Dampier are just your average players, of course they'd rest them. With Howard's ankle thing recently, he out of all players should be the one resting.

leemajors
04-10-2007, 08:48 PM
maybe cause they're not playing

:frying: :frying: :frying: :frying: :frying:

doesn't mean they shouldn't be there with their teammates. especially late in the season.

bulletedge
04-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Yeah, if I'm Avery, that's a very smart idea.

You guys pretty much have earned yourselves a golden ticket to the wcf with the way houston and utah have been playing lately

Yeah, the Mavs did earn it with all of those "meaningless" regular season wins. Now they only have to play the Spurs...after the Spurs eliminate the Suns.

So much for those "meaningless" wins, eh?

J.T.
04-10-2007, 10:04 PM
doesn't mean they shouldn't be there with their teammates. especially late in the season.

I think they have been there for their teammates enough, especially Dirk, given the Mavs batshit awesome record and the #1 seed locked up. Let them stay at home and chill, WGAF.

thispego
04-10-2007, 10:12 PM
mavs fans are pretty sure of their team. the complacency is thick in here

bulletedge
04-10-2007, 10:32 PM
mavs fans are pretty sure of their team. the complacency is thick in here

Not sure of our team but damn sure proud of the way they have responded to their choke job in last year's finals. They, more than any of the inane posters on here, know how badly they choked last year. And they have responded like champions by posting a "meaningless" regular season record.

They have a long way to go to win the title this year but they have already shown me they have the mental toughness it takes to win it all. Whether they will win it all this year or not is subject to too many variables to predict.

In any event, they have moved light years beyond the Nellie years and have established themselves as one of the NBA's elite teams. And, yeah, Mavs fans ARE proud of that!

Chris Childs
04-10-2007, 10:47 PM
If the mavs want to win the title this year, they MUST NOT rest their players. That will be a BIG mistake. All players(not even 1 or 2) must be on the team or it will mess up the chemistry. They need to stay in rhythm so the team can play at a solid level. If not, then they will most likely breeze through the 1st round, have a hard time in the 2nd round, and get their pathetic asses handed to them in the 3rd round.

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST.

ponky
04-10-2007, 10:50 PM
If the mavs want to win the title this year, they MUST NOT rest their players. That will be a BIG mistake. All players(not even 1 or 2) must be on the team or it will mess up the chemistry. They need to stay in rhythm so the team can play at a solid level. If not, then they will most likely breeze through the 1st round, have a hard time in the 2nd round, and get their pathetic asses handed to them in the 3rd round.

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST.

Right, because when we won that game the other night without Dirk and Stack, we messed up our chemistry. It's not like Avery is saying the guys won't practice together almost every day. Anyway, I'd rather rest some guys, especially the older ones, like Damp and Stack...no need to get an injury this late in the season, look at Payton, out 2-3 weeks now.

LEONARD
04-11-2007, 08:26 AM
If they didn't care about wins, they'd rest Dirk, Howard, and Terry. Stackhouse and Dampier are just your average players, of course they'd rest them. With Howard's ankle thing recently, he out of all players should be the one resting.

Howard and Terry are supposed to rest in the Utah game, you no-reading nutsack...

Duncanoypi
04-11-2007, 11:32 AM
So Croshere will start tonight?

Fillmoe
04-11-2007, 11:34 AM
they like there players 100% healthy when they choke......

mabber
04-11-2007, 11:45 AM
So Croshere will start tonight?

Probably, but not positive about that. Avery might start Pops and continue to bring Croshere off the bench since that will be his role during the playoffs.

Samr
04-11-2007, 12:03 PM
All this is completely messing up my fantasy championship. And that is all that matters: me.

But seriously, if the spurs were in the same place, you know everyone here would be calling to rest parker and duncan and manu as well.

StylisticS
04-11-2007, 09:27 PM
I honestly believe that the reason that Indianapolis lost that season was more do to the death of Tony Dungy's son and less than the couple games off to rest situation. That's just me, though. They won't admit it, but that took a huge blow out of the players and the coaching staff because they love Tony Dungy.

Duncanoypi
04-12-2007, 09:37 AM
so stackhouse and Dirk will be in tomorrow....? J-Ho and JT out?...they ruined my fantasy championship match...lol

LEONARD
04-12-2007, 09:44 AM
JHo and Jet would be the most likely candidates to sit...

mabber
04-12-2007, 09:47 AM
so stackhouse and Dirk will be in tomorrow....? J-Ho and JT out?...they ruined my fantasy championship match...lol

I belive Dirk, Stack & Harris will play some tomorrow night at home vs. Utah. Not sure if Jet & Howard will be out or not.

Avery said he hasn't decided how they're going to approach the Spur's game yet but it will probably be everyone playing but not a lot of minutes for anyone. They are going to rest a lot of players on Tuesday night @ GState and then do a "dress rehearsal" where they are going to start the regular guys and use the rotations they plan to use in playoffs on Wed night @ Seattle (last game).

MajorMike
04-12-2007, 10:06 AM
All these peeps b*tching about them sitting them should remember...

in 2003, with the #1 seed locked up, Pop sat Duncan and SJax in The Admiral's last regular season game against Dallas.

Carlos Mencia
04-13-2007, 01:08 AM
why does dirk need to rest he is just going to choke in the finals again. :drunk

ponky
04-13-2007, 01:19 AM
why does dirk need to rest he is just going to choke in the finals again. :drunk

carlos mencia is a joto, that is all

Amarelooms
04-13-2007, 01:24 AM
carlos mencia is a joto, that is all

Hey Ponky it's late...how about an update about what you're wearing before we go to bed :elephant

ponky
04-13-2007, 01:57 AM
Hey Ponky it's late...how about an update about what you're wearing before we go to bed :elephant

not late for me....i go to sleep every day around 7-8 AM

Amarelooms
04-13-2007, 02:10 AM
not late for me....i go to sleep every day around 7-8 AM

interesting...but you didn't answer the question :elephant

ponky
04-13-2007, 02:12 AM
interesting...but you didn't answer the question :elephant

well, one of the things i do every single night is run...i like adidas gear...i like to be cool when i run...you figure it out

Amarelooms
04-13-2007, 02:16 AM
well, one of the things i do every single night is run...i like adidas gear...i like to be cool when i run...you figure it out

You like to be cool? Is that as in cold or as in trendy? Why are you being difficult...i need to go to bed :elephant

Capt Bringdown
04-13-2007, 06:07 AM
Good idea to rest 'em. If you're not in playoff form by now, you never will be.

boutons_
04-13-2007, 06:10 AM
"Duncan and SJax in The Admiral's last regular season game against Dallas."

They were both hurt, rest could have helped them heal for the playoffs.

Is Dirk hurt, exhausted?

ponky
04-13-2007, 06:48 AM
"Duncan and SJax in The Admiral's last regular season game against Dallas."

They were both hurt, rest could have helped them heal for the playoffs.

Is Dirk hurt, exhausted?

i don't remember this being the case at all...at least with duncan, nothing was wrong, he played 81 games that season and leading up to the game i was looking forward to him playing in the game and this didn't happen, pop rested many guys and limited their minutes in the game, not due to any injuries but to get them some rest...get out of here with the *exhausted* b.s....dirk played a longer playoff season last year, played in the fiba tourney and has only missed two full games, he's not *exhausted* but it sounds like you're comparing his situation now to duncan's back in 2003 as if duncan was *exhausted*

monosylab1k
04-13-2007, 10:04 AM
Is Dirk hurt, exhausted?

does Dirk have ankles?

LEONARD
04-13-2007, 10:28 AM
Is Dirk hurt, exhausted?

Dirk is fine...it was kind funny...he called in during the game and talked to the broadcasters for almost a full quarter of the game. He said it was weird sitting at home watching the game...

The only guy sitting out due to injury is Dampier, and it's very minor. He could play if it was a playoff game...

Howard looked 100% in the T-Wolves game too...

PM5K
04-13-2007, 01:04 PM
Resting is for pussies, great players and great teams put forth their best effort from game one to eighty-two, and they don't play down to bad teams, ala 72-10 Chicago Bulls...

LEONARD
04-13-2007, 01:26 PM
damp, stack, & terry out tonight...

Resting is for pussies, great players and great teams put forth their best effort from game one to eighty-two, and they don't play down to bad teams, ala 72-10 Chicago Bulls...

genius... :donkey

Shank
04-13-2007, 02:10 PM

The Bucks and the Celtics would like to have a word with you.

mabber
04-13-2007, 02:25 PM

Been watching NBA basketball very long? :rolleyes

ponky
04-13-2007, 03:22 PM

best effort? ah, so this explains the spurs' third place finish in the regular season....idiot, much? :rolleyes

greensborohill
04-13-2007, 04:18 PM

Says the guy who's team is still jockeying for playoff position. . .