PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy Breakfast is heading for The Rim.

Buddy Holly
04-11-2007, 12:31 AM
Cowboy Breakfast is heading for The Rim

Web Posted: 04/11/2007 12:14 AM CDT

John Goodspeed
Express-News

Waders may trump boots at next year's Cowboy Breakfast.

The record-breaking grubfest will hit the trail again to hitch up at its fifth post — Bass Pro Shops, San Antonio's biggest outdoor retailer.

The move from Crossroads of San Antonio mall not only will mean better access and more room for the 30th annual event but also the potential of a daylong celebration involving other retailers at The Rim and more funds for the breakfast's scholarship fund, vice chairman Bert Mazac said.

"It's going to be a lot more than just a free taco," said Mazac, who, along with other officials from the breakfast, Bass Pro Shops and Thomas Enterprises Inc., The Rim's developer, were scheduled to make the announcement this morning while presenting $10,000 to the Alamo Community College District for five full scholarships for the culinary program at St. Philip's College.

"We've been in the same little package for so long, the move will not only increase our exposure with the location and the pairing with a well-known retailer but also pump up the event and give it a higher profile and more credibility," Mazac said.

Though Bass Pro Shops officials have not firmed up plans, they will offer a variety of outdoor-themed events inside and outside the store at the breakfast Jan. 26, the unofficial kickoff of the San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo.

Some 30,000 people attended this year.

"The folks who go to the rodeo are outdoor folks, so it's a good fit for Bass Pro and our customers," promotions manager Lorraine Lawrence said.

"It's a real opportunity for us to jump on that bandwagon and help make a bigger splash for the Cowboy Breakfast," Lawrence said.

The breakfast and Bass Pro Shops also share a few corporate partners, including Toyota and Johnsonville Brats, she added.

The Cowboy Breakfast started in 1979 with a handful of cooks and grills in the parking lot of Central Park Mall, its home for 23 years, as a way to fill the bellies of trail riders beginning the annual trek to the rodeo. It grew to feed upward of 50,000 with mostly donated items and the help of about 500 volunteers.

In 2001, the Guinness Book of Records christened it the World's Largest Cooked Breakfast after clocking 18,941 people served in an hour.

Construction at the mall shooed off the breakfast, which bounced from Cowboys Dance Hall to Sunset Station before landing at Crossroads Mall for four years.

Controversy erupted in 2006 when safety and cleanup concerns led Mazac to cancel the biscuits and gravy. The public outcry promptly moved them back on the menu.

"Bass Pro Shops will be a big shot in the arm," he said, "and as long as we don't get rid of the biscuits and gravy, we'll be OK."

So far, Bass Pro Shops is not lobbying for adding fish tacos.

As for the waders ...

"No, you still can wear your cowboy boots, but you better wear a camo hat — and I know where you can get one," said Lawrence of Bass Pro Shops.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA041107.01B.cowboy.breakfast.3a6c771.html

Trainwreck2100
04-11-2007, 12:38 AM
By the time people get through I10 it will be Cowboy Lunch

ashbeeigh
04-11-2007, 12:48 AM
Lamest thing, ever. The year after that it will be the "Bass Pro Shop Rodeo Cowboy Breakfast."

Buddy Holly
04-11-2007, 01:04 AM
If it means more money for scholarships, who gives a shit?

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-11-2007, 01:06 AM
If it means more money for scholarships, who gives a shit?

What he said.

T Park
04-11-2007, 01:11 AM
Lamest thing, ever. The year after that it will be the "Bass Pro Shop Rodeo Cowboy Breakfast

genius :rolleyes

T-Pain
04-11-2007, 02:01 AM
when is that cowboy breakfast anyway?

Trainwreck2100
04-11-2007, 02:03 AM

It;s a once in a year event where we usher in football season

AlamoSpursFan
04-11-2007, 05:12 AM
I quit going when they moved it from Central Park. Free tacos and biscuits and gravy followed by beers and shitty country music at Country Down Under right across the parking lot. Good times, great oldies!

T Park
04-11-2007, 10:18 AM

near the end of january, right around there.

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-11-2007, 10:33 AM
I'm going to take a guess and say January 26.

Nutmeg
04-11-2007, 11:13 AM
It's usually towards the end of January. Most of the time it's the Friday before the kick-off dance for rodeo. Trust me, I've been to a few since my dad works it every year and we never have to wait in line for food. Just go find him and he will go get it for me and whoever is with me. Plus anyone that knows how much money is given in scholarships to kids for college would be thankful that this along with the rodeo is held every year.

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-11-2007, 11:17 AM
It's usually towards the end of January. Most of the time it's the Friday before the kick-off dance for rodeo. Trust me, I've been to a few since my dad works it every year and we never have to wait in line for food. Just go find him and he will go get it for me and whoever is with me. Plus anyone that knows how much money is given in scholarships to kids for college would be thankful that this along with the rodeo is held every year.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say January 26.

FromWayDowntown
04-11-2007, 11:20 AM
I'm going to take a wild guess and say January 26.

I'm amazed by your skills in prognostication, JB. And I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-11-2007, 11:27 AM
I'm amazed by your skills in prognostication, JB. And I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

You and me could form quite a prognostication duo, FWD.

Imagine, the power of two newsletters into the value of one!

Brilliant!

Solid D
04-11-2007, 04:59 PM
1604 is very crowded in the morning in that area near I-10. That will make for an interesting I/O bottleneck.

01Snake
04-11-2007, 05:32 PM
1604 is very crowded in the morning in that area near I-10. That will make for an interesting I/O bottleneck.

Yep. Anytime something is free, the people come out in droves. The mere mention of free food in SA will have people as far away as the Southside trucking across town.

Call me crazy but I just don't get it. I went to it once and said I'd never go back.