View Full Version : Jemele Hill is really on drugs

lefty
04-11-2007, 12:41 AM
She did it again....a future ESPN prodigy

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/070409

Nowitzki or Nash? Dirk's case needs evidence

By Jemele Hill
Page 2

Two weeks left in the NBA season. Do you know who your NBA MVP is?

Me, I'm still not sure. Like many of my other media colleagues, I'm trying to follow the memo that this is Dirk Nowitzki's MVP to lose. Only I need some convincing.

When I hear people say that Dirk has the MVP wrapped up, it makes me think the race has become just as political and illogical as the Academy Awards. No one can agree on the true criteria of the award. People are sometimes rewarded for years of service rather than what they just accomplished.

Tracy McGrady had this to say about the MVP to the New York Times: "If you're going to put Kobe in there, it's not who's most valuable to their team. He is the best player in the league, no doubt. But to me, the MVP is about the overall contributions to the team and what the team has done."

Really.

"I think the MVP is an individual award and shouldn't be judged so much on team success," said Orlando Magic shooting guard Keyon Dooling. "Team awards are championships."

OK, so not even the players can decide what makes an NBA MVP. But most of us know one when we see one.

Dirk's numbers certainly justify him being MVP. He's shooting 50 percent from the field, averaging 24.7 a game, nine rebounds and a career-high 3.4 assists. These aren't the best numbers of Dirk's career, but Dallas was the most dominant team of the regular season and Dirk contributed greatly to the Mavs' success.

(Totally irrelevant, but hilarious side note: In the 1998 NBA Draft, the Bucks traded Nowitzki to Dallas for Robert "Tractor" Traylor, who is now facing 14 months prison time for a tax crime. That has got to be in the top five with a bullet for worst NBA trades of all time. Back to the column.)

If Dirk supporters want to do a better job of convincing people Dirk is the MVP, here are a few arguments that need to be abandoned:

• The MVP should go to the best player on the best team. Generally, I believe this. In the last 25 years, the MVPs have come from teams that have won 50 games or more. But you can't use that as absolute criteria. The Pistons had the best regular-season record in the NBA last year, but voters were correct in not awarding Chauncey Billups the MVP. You couldn't look at the Pistons and discern if Billups really was the most important piece, proving that the best player isn't always on the best team.

This year's Mavericks team poses a similar problem. No question Dirk is a superstar, but is he the real reason the Mavericks have shrugged off last year's NBA Finals meltdown? Or does that credit belong to coach Avery Johnson?

Steve Nash won his second MVP, in part, because he elevated the Suns to an elite team. His impact was obvious. But at the same time, it's not fair to eliminate Kobe Bryant because the Lakers are only a 6 or 7 seed. Kobe has the least talented teammates to work with of the MVP candidates and that his team is even in the playoff hunt is a miracle. Besides, most NBA players regard Kobe as the best player in the league and that should mean something, too. Team success is an important component, but it can't be the entire equation.

"From year to year the criteria for MVP changes," Grant Hill said. "Sometimes it's the best player. Sometimes it's the most valuable player to that team. I think Dirk and Kobe have separated themselves, but I think it'll probably go to Dirk."

• The sympathy vote: Steve Nash has won enough MVPs. Give Dirk a chance! Seriously, is this professional sports? Do we care about who is winning too much or too little? You either earn the MVP or you don't. It was this thinking that led to Karl Malone picking up two unnecessary MVPs. Malone was never going to beat Jordan for a title so his MVPs were consolation gifts. Something tells me Kobe is never going to get that as a consolation prize.

• Give Nash a third and you put him in the same company as Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain and Larry Bird. Sounds just like when people were arguing that Russell Crowe shouldn't win an Oscar for "A Beautiful Mind" since (a) he'd already won one for "Gladiator" and (b) he's Australian and you can't keep rewarding the foreigner.

Never mind that Wilt, Russell and Bird's legacies are all entrenched. Nash isn't going to challenge those three, whether he wins another MVP or not.

Besides, of any season, this is Nash's most convincing case for MVP. The Suns don't have the best record but Nash is playing at the highest level of his career. He is averaging career bests in field-goal percentage, 3-point shooting and assists.

And in head-to-head matchups in the last month with Dirk, Nash schooled Dirk on closing out close games and then the Mavericks got blasted when they visited the Suns on April 1. While some of you think it's unfair to judge a MVP race based on a couple games, realize that no matter the sport, games late in the season matter more. This was Dirk's opportunity to win the MVP without a seed of doubt, and all he did was remind us that he's still the same guy who couldn't finish off the Heat in the Finals.

• Nash hasn't even won a championship and he's going to get three MVPs? Winning a championship is not a requirement for a MVP. Yeah, I know I just killed Malone above, but he won two MVPs and didn't win a title. Allen Iverson and Kevin Garnett also have MVPs, but no titles. Sure, Iverson and Malone made it to the NBA Finals, but this is a REGULAR-SEASON award.

Irrational arguments, the kind the Academy favors, don't belong in the MVP race. If Dirk supporters want to present a solid case, bring up the fact that Nash's defense is a step above atrocious, a trait no other MVP had. Bring up the fact that a MVP is a player who should be feared, not one purposely attacked in tight games because he can't defend. Bring up that everybody from Smush Parker to Flip Murray has annihilated Nash. That's an argument that will get me on your side.

Jemele Hill, a Page 2 columnist and writer for ESPN The Magazine, can be reached at [email protected].

ponky
04-11-2007, 12:48 AM
this was painful to read, terrible writing style and the trade between bucks/mavs was hilarious....like six years ago. anyway, i guess i'll continue to slog through this mierda

Findog
04-11-2007, 12:48 AM
Kobe's the best player in the game, so who cares about the "MVP"? I think Spurs fans know all about the utility of the award after Hakeem raped the Admiral.

ponky
04-11-2007, 12:51 AM
does she really get paid $400K over two years to contribute this drivel to page2 espn? please, i could write a better article and i'm not an old white guy (per some of her interviews), sign me up!!!...btw, i'm not necessarily attacking the substance, she makes a few good points, it's the way she writes that comes off as elementary.

lefty
04-11-2007, 12:51 AM
Kobe's the best player in the game, so who cares about the "MVP"? I think Spurs fans know all about the utility of the award after Hakeem raped the Admiral.

And we do know about its utility when Duncan won the award in 2003 and the title the same year

lefty
04-11-2007, 12:53 AM
does she really get paid $400K over two years to contribute this drivel to page2 espn? please, i could write a better article and i'm not an old white guy (per some of her interviews), sign me up!!!

Welcome to the fair world of medias, where you don't stand a chance if u are not related to someone working there

Jemele can thank Daddy

Findog
04-11-2007, 12:54 AM
The Spurs won the title that year because they had the best TEAM in addition to the best player. If you were starting a team and could choose anybody you wanted, without regard to age or salary, you'd take Kobe. Michael Jordan didn't win the award every year because that would've been boring.

It's just ridiculous, there's no set, defined criteria for it: "Best player on the best team," "best individual player in the league," etc. I know some Mav fans are really rooting for Dirk to win it, but I just don't care. It's just something for sportswriters to write about in order to justify their professional existence.

ponky
04-11-2007, 12:56 AM
Welcome to the fair world of medias, where you don't stand a chance if u are not related to someone working there

Jemele can thank Daddy

who's her daddy?

lefty
04-11-2007, 12:56 AM
The Spurs won the title because they had the best TEAM

True ; AND the best player ; Duncan just dominated every opponent that season ; he particularly toyed with Shaq

Findog
04-11-2007, 12:57 AM
True ; AND the best player ; Duncan just dominated every opponent that season ; he particularly toyed with Shaq

Sorry, I accidentally hit submit before I finished typing it out.

lefty
04-11-2007, 12:58 AM
who's her daddy?

I don't know ; but in the medias world, u've got to get related to somebody already in ; no matter how good you are

I mean, Jemele is just too dumb to be working for ESPN

lefty
04-11-2007, 12:58 AM
Sorry, I accidentally hit submit before I finished typing it out.

It's ok

ponky
04-11-2007, 01:02 AM
WTF?!?!?!?! If you want to argue that Kobe should get the MVP over Dirk and Nash, then do so...but leave Jordan out of it....crack sucks.

Putting Kobe in perspective

By Jemele Hill
Page 2

Kobe Bryant is better than Michael Jordan.

Not more successful.

Hasn't had a bigger economic impact.

Hasn't won more MVPs.

Kobe Bryant
Noah Graham/NBAE via Getty Images
Kobe Bryant did something Michael Jordan never
did -- score 50-plus in four consecutive games.

Hasn't won more titles.

But he's a better player.

Kobe can do everything Michael did, and even a few things Michael couldn't do.

Kobe is just as good a defender. His killer instinct is just as pronounced. He can shoot, finish and explode. And just like Jordan, the more he's pissed off, the more unstoppable he is.

At the very least, Kobe's scoring spree over the last week should put to rest any lingering doubts that he's the best player in the NBA. Yes, better than Steve Nash, who is the best point guard, but not the lethal force that Kobe is. Yes, better than Dwyane Wade, who is certainly closer to the Kobe-Jordan level than LeBron James, but D-Wade's game is not as polished as Kobe's.

Kobe's streak of four straight 50-points-plus games is something none of those players can do, and it's something that hasn't been done since Wilt Chamberlain, who had an NBA-record seven straight 50-point games. Truthfully, Kobe should have tacked another 50 on Golden State on Sunday night.

Of course, the idea that Kobe is better than Jordan -- or even the best player in this league -- is as repugnant to some folks as a rectal exam. Even though Kobe has proven himself under pressure countless times, he gets the A-Rod treatment.

Kobe can't please anyone. And it doesn't help that most people suffer from revisionist history when it comes to Jordan, forgetting that he was just as poor a teammate and a ball hog and that he ran off coach Doug Collins like Kobe ran off Phil Jackson the first time.

In fact, you could argue that Jordan was even worse. Far as we know, Kobe hasn't jacked up any of his teammates the way Jordan punched out Steve Kerr and Will Perdue at practice.

Kobe will never be forgiven for Shaq's departure, but you're delusional if you think Jordan wouldn't have had any ego issues playing alongside a player with Shaq's star power.

The best-player argument shouldn't be determined by personal dislike. But if you want to take it there, fine. Jordan was hardly the ideal husband, but only the tabloids were brave enough to venture into his personal life. And what about those gambling issues? If Jordan's life had been covered like Kobe's, we would have an entirely different opinion of His Airness.

Besides a different level of media scrutiny, there was definitely a difference in the level of competition during Jordan's heyday compared to now.

Kobe Bryant
AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill
We ask you to step back and take an objective look. Isn't Kobe the best player in the NBA?

Yesterday's NBA player certainly was more fundamentally sound, but there's no question that today's player is bigger, stronger and faster. When Jordan played, he was a singular force that could not be equaled. Jordan was guarded by the likes of John Starks and Joe Dumars, who were fine players but weren't nearly as skilled or physically imposing as LeBron, D-Wade, Tracy McGrady or even Vince Carter.

The NBA is tougher now.

Kobe, like Michael, is surrounded with mediocre to below-average talent, and Phoenix, Dallas and San Antonio are all better than the Utah, Portland and the Charles Barkley-led Phoenix team that Michael met in the NBA Finals.

Hakeem Olajuwon, David Robinson and Patrick Ewing will be among the best centers ever, but none of them affected the league the way Shaq and Tim Duncan have. There are two two-time MVPs in Kobe's own conference (Duncan, Nash), which is a problem Jordan never faced during his championship runs. Seven-footers weren't launching 3s back then. Magic Johnson and the Lakers were on a downward spiral, and the Pistons were on their last legs. It was Michael and everyone else. That's not the case for Kobe.

The shame of it is that Kobe might finish his career without a MVP, even though his ability can be compared only to that of Jordan and Wilt Chamberlain. All this time we've been looking for a player who is better than Jordan, but most of us can't get beyond whether we like or dislike Kobe as a person to recognize his contributions to the game.

Ultimately the MVP award will go to either Nash or Dirk Nowitzki, who are deserving this season, but neither are as good as Kobe. Dallas and Phoenix are strong enough to make the playoffs without their stars. The Lakers, however, are a lottery team without Kobe.

Now that's a valuable player.

lefty
04-11-2007, 01:03 AM
WTF?!?!?!?! If you want to argue that Kobe should get the MVP over Dirk and Nash, then do so...but leave Jordan out of it....crack sucks.

Putting Kobe in perspective

By Jemele Hill
Page 2

Kobe Bryant is better than Michael Jordan.

Not more successful.

Hasn't had a bigger economic impact.

Hasn't won more MVPs.

Kobe Bryant
Noah Graham/NBAE via Getty Images
Kobe Bryant did something Michael Jordan never
did -- score 50-plus in four consecutive games.

Hasn't won more titles.

But he's a better player.

Kobe can do everything Michael did, and even a few things Michael couldn't do.

Kobe is just as good a defender. His killer instinct is just as pronounced. He can shoot, finish and explode. And just like Jordan, the more he's pissed off, the more unstoppable he is.

At the very least, Kobe's scoring spree over the last week should put to rest any lingering doubts that he's the best player in the NBA. Yes, better than Steve Nash, who is the best point guard, but not the lethal force that Kobe is. Yes, better than Dwyane Wade, who is certainly closer to the Kobe-Jordan level than LeBron James, but D-Wade's game is not as polished as Kobe's.

Kobe's streak of four straight 50-points-plus games is something none of those players can do, and it's something that hasn't been done since Wilt Chamberlain, who had an NBA-record seven straight 50-point games. Truthfully, Kobe should have tacked another 50 on Golden State on Sunday night.

Of course, the idea that Kobe is better than Jordan -- or even the best player in this league -- is as repugnant to some folks as a rectal exam. Even though Kobe has proven himself under pressure countless times, he gets the A-Rod treatment.

Kobe can't please anyone. And it doesn't help that most people suffer from revisionist history when it comes to Jordan, forgetting that he was just as poor a teammate and a ball hog and that he ran off coach Doug Collins like Kobe ran off Phil Jackson the first time.

In fact, you could argue that Jordan was even worse. Far as we know, Kobe hasn't jacked up any of his teammates the way Jordan punched out Steve Kerr and Will Perdue at practice.

Kobe will never be forgiven for Shaq's departure, but you're delusional if you think Jordan wouldn't have had any ego issues playing alongside a player with Shaq's star power.

The best-player argument shouldn't be determined by personal dislike. But if you want to take it there, fine. Jordan was hardly the ideal husband, but only the tabloids were brave enough to venture into his personal life. And what about those gambling issues? If Jordan's life had been covered like Kobe's, we would have an entirely different opinion of His Airness.

Besides a different level of media scrutiny, there was definitely a difference in the level of competition during Jordan's heyday compared to now.

Kobe Bryant
AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill
We ask you to step back and take an objective look. Isn't Kobe the best player in the NBA?

Yesterday's NBA player certainly was more fundamentally sound, but there's no question that today's player is bigger, stronger and faster. When Jordan played, he was a singular force that could not be equaled. Jordan was guarded by the likes of John Starks and Joe Dumars, who were fine players but weren't nearly as skilled or physically imposing as LeBron, D-Wade, Tracy McGrady or even Vince Carter.

The NBA is tougher now.

Kobe, like Michael, is surrounded with mediocre to below-average talent, and Phoenix, Dallas and San Antonio are all better than the Utah, Portland and the Charles Barkley-led Phoenix team that Michael met in the NBA Finals.

Hakeem Olajuwon, David Robinson and Patrick Ewing will be among the best centers ever, but none of them affected the league the way Shaq and Tim Duncan have. There are two two-time MVPs in Kobe's own conference (Duncan, Nash), which is a problem Jordan never faced during his championship runs. Seven-footers weren't launching 3s back then. Magic Johnson and the Lakers were on a downward spiral, and the Pistons were on their last legs. It was Michael and everyone else. That's not the case for Kobe.

The shame of it is that Kobe might finish his career without a MVP, even though his ability can be compared only to that of Jordan and Wilt Chamberlain. All this time we've been looking for a player who is better than Jordan, but most of us can't get beyond whether we like or dislike Kobe as a person to recognize his contributions to the game.

Ultimately the MVP award will go to either Nash or Dirk Nowitzki, who are deserving this season, but neither are as good as Kobe. Dallas and Phoenix are strong enough to make the playoffs without their stars. The Lakers, however, are a lottery team without Kobe.

Now that's a valuable player.

Yeah, that article is the reason why I said : "She did it again" ; she is just ridiculous

Findog
04-11-2007, 01:06 AM
I'm not saying Kobe is better than MJ (although he's certainly approaching Jordan's level, if he's not there already), I'm just saying that MJ was the best player during his time and he didn't win it every year bc that would've been boring, just as it would be boring to give it to Kobe every year. If there's a "Best Player" Award, give it to Kobe. "MVP" -- How the hell can you say who is more valuable to their teams between Duncan, Dirk, KG, Kobe, Nash, LeBron, Arenas. Every single one of those teams is up shit creek if those guys get hurt.

trueD
04-11-2007, 01:46 AM
Jemele reminds me of a much less-knowledgable female sports writer for our local paper, who is also very edgy and dry.

Are there any awesome female sports writers out there?