PDA

View Full Version : Here's a restaurant review for you .. Perico's on Sonterra

fatsack
04-11-2007, 10:58 AM
great place if you enjoy live loud mariachi music in your ear and screaming "WHAT?!" alot to the person sitting across from you. It's a loud place.

Me and the gf hit this place last night for dinner.

She had the puffy tacos, I had the Carne Guisada.

Portions were more than adequate, and the puffy tacos were pretty good.
The Carne Guisada was good, not outstanding. We both agreed the rice was not up to par.

I only regret never eating at the Bandera location to compare it against this location.

For the two dinner entrees and two margaritas, the total bill before tip was $43.

For the same money, I would recommend nearby La Hacienda at Los Barrios at Redland Road.

Waiter also forgot silverware & chips and salsa, but I'm not holding that against him - we asked to be moved from the table immediately in front of the mariachis.

I'd be interested to go back for lunch specials.

Sunshine
04-11-2007, 03:42 PM
we asked to be moved from the table immediately in front of the mariachis.

And less than 2 minutes after we'd been seated at our new table, the mariachis showed up and played for the next 30 minutes. :dizzy

Solid D
04-11-2007, 04:50 PM
We've been to the Bandera Rd. restaurant. It's a bit overpriced. Food is okay....just okay.

Shelly
04-11-2007, 04:52 PM
I'm not that crazy about Perico's either. But they do have awesome corn tortillas.

I could walk to the one on Bandera and every Friday night, we get serenaded by whatever band is playing there.

I prefer El Chaparral in Helotes.

jman3000
04-11-2007, 04:57 PM
imo pericos sucks.

01Snake
04-11-2007, 05:34 PM
Mariachis annoy the living shit out of me. Keep that shit downtown for the tourists.

TheTruth
04-11-2007, 05:44 PM
Man, i gut super sick the last time I ate there. Vomiting blood and shitting water.

BIG IRISH
04-11-2007, 05:44 PM
Mexican Restraunt all the same
Whatever plate, with rice and beans.

Sunshine
04-11-2007, 06:00 PM
I didn't hate it, but it wasn't anything to write home about. The margaritas were GREAT :drunk La Hacienda or La Fogata are still my choice of places to go for good Mexican food.

As for the mariachis...I thought it was kind of strange to have these roving mariachis on a Tuesday night with virtually no crowd. And they were playing LOUD. We finally gave up trying to talk during dinner because we literally could not hear each other.

Sunshine
04-11-2007, 06:02 PM
I prefer El Chaparral in Helotes.

I've always wanted to try that place...the parking lot is always packed.

Shelly
04-11-2007, 06:35 PM
I've always wanted to try that place...the parking lot is always packed.

Yeah, it is. I read this morning that they're opening one up at 281 and I believe Redlands? They also have one in Boerne.

01Snake
04-11-2007, 06:37 PM
Yeah, it is. I read this morning that they're opening one up at 281 and I believe Redlands? They also have one in Boerne.

The one is in Boerne isn't to good.

Shelly
04-11-2007, 06:40 PM
The one is in Boerne isn't to good.

I haven't eaten at that one, but I was wondering about it. Sometimes, I wonder if a mom and pop can expand and be the same.

I also like La Fonda on Main and they make a damn good margarita.

Sunshine
04-11-2007, 07:12 PM
I haven't eaten at that one, but I was wondering about it. Sometimes, I wonder if a mom and pop can expand and be the same.

I also like La Fonda on Main and they make a damn good margarita.

I've been eating at the La Fonda in Oak Hills since I was a kid, back in the 1800's...and I'd walk in snow up to my chest.....

They DO make a mean margarita!

Another place that I like for Mexican food is Jacala, on West Avenue. And I used to love Henry's Puffy Taco, but it seems like when they moved from their little hole-in-the-wall location to the old Luby's on Bandera, the food wasn't as good for some reason. Now they've moved to where Aunt Julie's used to be at Bandera and Wurzbach.

baseline bum
04-11-2007, 07:28 PM
I used to love Jacala 15-20 years ago, but the last time I went (maybe 3 or 4 years ago), it seemed the quality went way downhill.

Clandestino
04-11-2007, 09:14 PM
pericos is white peoples food.

01Snake
04-11-2007, 09:24 PM
Another place that I like for Mexican food is Jacala, on West Avenue.

Love that place too.

bendmz
04-11-2007, 09:32 PM
increase in price = smaller portions
expansion = drop in food quality
:hungry: :hungry:

baseline bum
04-11-2007, 10:09 PM
My favorite place in the SA area is probably La Tortillita in Cibolo. It reminds me of what Jacala was like when it used to be great, and you can't beat the price. Another of my favs was Asadero Culebra, but I heard it closed down years ago. :(

Sunshine
04-11-2007, 10:52 PM
I used to love Jacala 15-20 years ago, but the last time I went (maybe 3 or 4 years ago), it seemed the quality went way downhill.

I agree that it's not as good as it was "back in the day", but I still like it.

Now for the price, Blanco Cafe ain't to shabby either.

Kori Ellis
04-11-2007, 11:07 PM
We've been to the Bandera Rd. restaurant. It's a bit overpriced. Food is okay....just okay.

:lol

I think it's the best Mexican restaurant in San Antonio. I guess it depends on what you eat there. I always eat carnitas.

You get huge portions of food there, so one meal is easily two meals. That's why I don't get how people think it's overpriced. I guess it depends on what you order though.

Kori Ellis
04-11-2007, 11:08 PM
And less than 2 minutes after we'd been seated at our new table, the mariachis showed up and played for the next 30 minutes. :dizzy

It takes $5 to make them leave.

SequSpur
04-11-2007, 11:16 PM
Pericos Margaritas are frickin dangerous. :smokin

fatsack
04-11-2007, 11:29 PM
they do have awesome corn tortillas.

yes, they do.

i don't usually care for corn tortillas, but these were very good.

scott
04-11-2007, 11:30 PM
I've always liked the one on Bandera, but I here they have gone downhill lately. For my money, there is no beating EEHO on Broadway.

KEDA
04-12-2007, 04:23 AM

yes, there is a new location being built at 1604 & Redland Rd. I guess they are trying to grab some of the La Hacienda business.

BTW La Hacienda is one of my favorite places to get some mexican grub!!!