PDA

View Full Version : az diamondbacks 7-2

Pages : [1] 2

ducks
04-11-2007, 04:26 PM
:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

tsb2000
04-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Shhh! Don't tell anyone! You'll jinx them! :)

Melmart1
04-11-2007, 05:53 PM
As long as they keep winning the games Webb pitches in for my fantasy team, I am very happy for them :)

Extra Stout
04-11-2007, 06:47 PM
The D-Backs look like clones of the Astros -- same shades of red, sand, and black.

ducks
04-12-2007, 08:51 AM
I jinked them they lost last night

T Park
04-12-2007, 02:24 PM
bastards.

Oh well.

How does Stephen Drew and Connor Jackson look?

I know Connor was being hyped last october when i was there as the next big thing.

TheTruth
04-12-2007, 02:44 PM
Stephen Drew hasn't been hitting great, and I don't think he's really suited for the 1 hole. Connor Jackson hits the ball hard.

T Park
04-12-2007, 06:27 PM
Drew seems more like a 6th or 7th in the lineup kinda guy, I agree that hes a bad fit at the number one spot.

Byrnes or Hudson should be the leadoff guys.

Hit for average, good base stealers.

tsb2000
04-12-2007, 08:20 PM
The bad news is I'm hearing Randy Johnson's debut might be pushed back.

JMarkJohns
04-12-2007, 10:16 PM
The bad news is I'm hearing Randy Johnson's debut might be pushed back.

It's not necessarily bad news. I'd like to see more of Owings and Gonzalez before I see this season's firsts of Johnson. I'd say it's closer to being lateral news. Owings and Gonzalez certainly appear to belong. I'd love to have one or the other gain confidense in case of later-season call ups.

I'm very excited about this year's team. If their bullpen can be solidified, they'll be in it at the end. They are 7-3 and half their young studs have yet to even get going. They have so much everyday positional talent it's rediculous. They have another five or six minor leaguers ranked in the top-100 that aren't even on the 07 roster that includes studs like Quentin, Drew, Jackson, Young, Hairston, Callaspo and Montero. Each of the seven were, at one time, a top-50 recruit themselves with Quentin, Drew, Young and Hairston all being top-10 prospects at one point.

As of now, Doug Davis has been their most troubling starter and he's allowed just a two or three earned runs in two starts. I am, however, as concerned about the bullpen as I am excited about the potential of every other aspect.

I made the mistake of thinking last year's team would win the NL West. This season they are certainly more capable, but I think they have even more to prove. I know of six or seven well respected writers who have the Diamondbacks in the World Series THIS SEASON. Four of the bunch have the Diamondbacks winning it all. I think that's absurd at this point, but damn would it be sweet. I think a more realistic expectation is 85-to-95 wins, NL West contention and - MAYBE - a first round playoff win.

Still, knowing others are as excited, if not more so, than even I am really adds to my own level for this team.

JMarkJohns
04-12-2007, 10:23 PM
Once Quentin returns, I think the lineup will look more like this...

Byrnes
Hudson
Quentin
Tracy
Jackson
Drew
Young
Snyder

I think Callaspo will bat in either the 1 or 2 spot while Hairston anywhere from the 3 to 6 spot. The others are mainly defensive/injury/rest replacements and won't get too many non-pinch-hit at-bats.

tsb2000
04-13-2007, 05:31 PM
It's not necessarily bad news. I'd like to see more of Owings and Gonzalez before I see this season's firsts of Johnson. I'd say it's closer to being lateral news. Owings and Gonzalez certainly appear to belong. I'd love to have one or the other gain confidense in case of later-season call ups.

I'm very excited about this year's team. If their bullpen can be solidified, they'll be in it at the end. They are 7-3 and half their young studs have yet to even get going. They have so much everyday positional talent it's rediculous. They have another five or six minor leaguers ranked in the top-100 that aren't even on the 07 roster that includes studs like Quentin, Drew, Jackson, Young, Hairston, Callaspo and Montero. Each of the seven were, at one time, a top-50 recruit themselves with Quentin, Drew, Young and Hairston all being top-10 prospects at one point.

As of now, Doug Davis has been their most troubling starter and he's allowed just a two or three earned runs in two starts. I am, however, as concerned about the bullpen as I am excited about the potential of every other aspect.

I made the mistake of thinking last year's team would win the NL West. This season they are certainly more capable, but I think they have even more to prove. I know of six or seven well respected writers who have the Diamondbacks in the World Series THIS SEASON. Four of the bunch have the Diamondbacks winning it all. I think that's absurd at this point, but damn would it be sweet. I think a more realistic expectation is 85-to-95 wins, NL West contention and - MAYBE - a first round playoff win.

Still, knowing others are as excited, if not more so, than even I am really adds to my own level for this team.

That would rock- 2001 all over again!

Owings has been solid so far in his two starts. I would definitely like to see the bats get hot. The game they lost to the Reds wasn't lost on the mound, for sure. We'll see how they do against the Rockies and Dodgers this weekend at home, then it's off to SD then SF. This will be a great time for the DBacks to make a statement right away they are the team in the NL West to be reckoned with! :clap

Still, I'd love to see RJ be dominant once again. If for no other reason, he can show the Yankee fans where to stick it! :lol

JMarkJohns
04-13-2007, 11:42 PM
0-2 since this thread was created! :pctoss

ducks
04-14-2007, 12:30 PM
yeah I know

webb is struggling

tsb2000
04-16-2007, 04:33 PM
Nice game yesterday. Tony Clark got the big wood out at the Chase! :)

tsb2000
04-17-2007, 06:30 PM
*bump*

Bummer was the DBacks got smoked last night by the Dodgers. Hopefully they can get it together tonight before going on the west coast roadie.

JMarkJohns
04-17-2007, 06:53 PM
Figured the Diamondbacks would lose yesterday. Penny is lights out right now. Edgar, for as quality a pitcher as he is, cannot match a #1 starter if said starter is on and right now, Penny is ON!

Goos seeing Quentin back in there. If Webb can right the ship and Tracy, Quentin and Jackson hit around .220/.300 with 18-to-25 HRs, 30-to-45 2B and 85-to-100 RBI, then I like this team for 85+ wins, no matter what Randy, Drew, Hairston and Young give them. They have good depth everywhere, save for the bullpen (no pun intended), but it's not terrible. It's gotten much better since the first week.

ducks
04-18-2007, 11:17 AM
diamondbacks look like they are on the right track
not title contenders but better team this year

JMarkJohns
04-18-2007, 03:50 PM
I hope Owings isn't seriously hurt. It didn't look bad, but hamstring injuries can linger. He has such a promising future ahead of him. The Dodger broadcast was nothing but infatuated with him last night. Good things, for sure...

Diamondbacks have some issues. What team doesn't? Their perceived strengths have been solid, but inconsistant, their perceived weaknesses good, but can still improve and their question marks have either just barely started to play (Quentin), have yet to play (Johnson) or have barely gotten going (Young, Drew, Jackson)...

Again, if Webb gets going, Johnson and Hernandez eat up innings, the defense gets its act together like its capable of, and Hudson and Brynes provide solid veteran leadership at the plate with Tracy, Jackson and Quentin all hitting around .280-to-.300 with 18-to-25 HRs, 30-to-45 2Bs and 85-to-100 RBI, then this team should easily challenge every team in the NL, save for maybe the Mets.

I expect things to break this way...

85-to-95 wins, 1st or 2nd in the NL West.

Webb: 16-to-19 wins, sub-3.0 ERA
Johnson: 13-to-16 wins, sub-3.5 ERA
Hernandez: 12-to-14 wins, sub-3.75 ERA
Davis: 9-to-12 wins, sub 4.5 ERA
Gonzalez: 8-to-12 wins, sub-4.25 ERA

Byrnes: .275-to-.290 BA, 17-25 HRs, 20-30 2Bs, 70-to-90 RBI
Hudson: .290-to-.320 BA, 40-to-60 RBI, 80-to-100 runs
Quentin: .295-to-.310 BA, 16-to-20 HRs, 25-to-35 2Bs, 75-to-95 RBI
Tracy: .280-to-.295 BA, 18-to-22 HRs, 20-to-30 2Bs, 70-to-90 RBI
Jackson: .265-to-.285 BA, 16-to-20 HRs, 20-to-35 2Bs, 80-to-100 RBI
Young: .250-to-.270 BA, 14-to-18 HRs, 20-to-25 2Bs, 50-to-75 RBI
Drew: .270-to-.285 BA, 15-to-18 HRs, 25-to-35 2Bs, 45-to-65 RBI, 60-to-80 runs
Hairston: .265-to-.295 BA, 10-to-15 HRs, 15-to-20 2Bs, 50-to-65 RBI
Callaspo: .250-to-.275 BA, 65-to-85 runs

Anyways, that's my expectations. I think they make the playoffs, but probably lose in the first round. Just me guess.

tsb2000
04-18-2007, 04:41 PM
I think the playoffs as a WC are realistic, but knowing that both Atlanta and NY are quality teams, the DBacks will have to win the west to dance in October, which means they will have to figure out how to beat the Dodgers.

This week (tonight?), Unit starts for Tucson AAA. I hope he's ready to go after that!

This week's roadie will be telling, going to both SD and SF. After that, the same two teams come here to AZ.

That being said, I need to score some tix to see the Mets next month. :)

JMarkJohns
04-22-2007, 01:32 AM
Diamondbacks are 1-5 in their last six. All against division foes. They've been in most of the games, but haven't been able to put themselves ahead or stay ahead.

Owings to the DL for at least a start. Johnson started a bit rocky in his last outing at AAA Tucson, but then settled down. He was going against a very talented triple-A squad of the Angels.

ducks
04-23-2007, 01:29 PM
bats for diamondbacks have been cold

JMarkJohns
04-23-2007, 05:58 PM
The pitching they've faced has certainly played in, but they have to score more than an average of two or three runs a game. The Diamondbacks pitching is very good, but no team can entirely depend on their pitching to pitch two runs or fewer every game.

JMarkJohns
04-25-2007, 11:27 PM
Walk-off bomb off Hoffman for Drew, giving the 'backs a 3-2 win over the fathers. The win snaps their 5-game losing streak and evens their record at 11-11.

RogerIsEatingASandwich
04-25-2007, 11:32 PM
Wow, what a shame Hoffman blew it. Peavy was damn good tonight.

tsb2000
04-27-2007, 04:25 PM
Walk-off bomb off Hoffman for Drew, giving the 'backs a 3-2 win over the fathers. The win snaps their 5-game losing streak and evens their record at 11-11.

Hoffman got owned in that game- awesome! Too bad Sportscenter only talked about Peavy's K's, not the fact the Pads lost. :)

JMarkJohns
04-28-2007, 09:16 AM
It's good to see the Diamondbacks respond with another couple wins after. Up to 13-11 now, just passing the Padres and just one-half game behind the Giants for second, and just one-n-one-half behind the Dodgers for first. Diamondbacks sweep this series, and Dodgers lose the next two, back at the top! They have Edgar Gonzalez today and Johnson on Sunday.

JMarkJohns
04-29-2007, 10:22 AM
Diamondbacks win 5-4, and have now won four in a row. They have Johnson on the mound today vs. Matt Morris. I hope we get the first three innings Johnson as opposed to the last three innings Johnson. If he's sharp, I think the Diamondbacks win.

JMarkJohns
04-29-2007, 07:15 PM
Diamondbacks sweep this series, and Dodgers lose the next two, back at the top!

Diamondbacks did their part. Last I saw Dodgers/Padres were tied in the 14th.

tsb2000
04-30-2007, 12:11 AM
Nice- good to see the snakes coming together. They had to make it interesting again today, of course, but a W is a W!

tsb2000
05-01-2007, 12:30 AM
Don't look now, but "you know who" is in front of the NL West again! :)

JMarkJohns
05-01-2007, 12:33 AM
Webb pitches 7 strong innings, allowing just one run, and the Diamondbacks bats wake up against the Dodgers end rotation starter and overused bullpen for a 9-1 win.

It's the sixth in a row for Arizona, and with the win they leapfrog the Dodgers for first place in the Division.

Hernandez vs. Penny tommorow.

SHould be a good one. If the Diamondbacks can score a few runs early for Livan, I like their chances. The Dodgers can't afford to take Penny out early because their bullpen is just taxed right now. Get to him early, make him work, see if he can't have 100 pitches by the sixth or seventh inning. Force the Dodgers to either leave him in and possibly get a loss or take him out and tire their pen even more in face of Wednesday's game.

HeatFan007
05-01-2007, 12:54 AM
Chea baby! Dbacks fa showwwwww

JMarkJohns
05-01-2007, 01:10 AM
Young, Drew and Quentin are starting to hit. If Jackson can get - and stay - healthy, contribute at a similar clip and Webb and Johnson pitch the best each can, they'll be a tough series every series.

tsb2000
05-01-2007, 11:57 PM
Dodgers' pitcher Braxton choked on the save, so let's hope the Snakes have another run in them tonight. Then it's time for PAPA GRANDE! :)

tsb2000
05-04-2007, 03:25 PM
Doh! Feast or famine for the DBacks. Talk about a meltdown last night! :dramaquee

JMarkJohns
05-04-2007, 06:01 PM
Yeah... I'll take 9-of-10 save chances though.

Still, that one sucked!

tsb2000
05-06-2007, 03:50 PM
Here's to hoping the DBacks can avoid the sweep today! :)

RogerIsEatingASandwich
05-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Those new D-Backs Jerseys are freekin' sweet.

Purple & Gold
05-06-2007, 08:42 PM
Is this the official Diamondbacks suck thread?

JMarkJohns
05-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Is this the official Diamondbacks suck thread?

It's the official, "With all them youngsters, the Diamondbacks sure as hell have a brighter future than do the LA Geezers, errr... Dodgers" thread...

Enjoy your stay at the top. Once this offense gets healthy and going, it'll be interesting to see how far this team can go.

Purple & Gold
05-06-2007, 10:42 PM
It's the official, "With all them youngsters, the Diamondbacks sure as hell have a brighter future than do the LA Geezers, errr... Dodgers" thread...

Enjoy your stay at the top. Once this offense gets healthy and going, it'll be interesting to see how far this team can go.
You might want to look at the Dodgers farm system before you start posting stupid shit.

tsb2000
05-07-2007, 09:54 AM
You might want to look at the Dodgers farm system before you start posting stupid shit.

-and you, sir, might want to see the DBacks'. :)

Oh yeah, and we did win yesterday! :clap

Purple & Gold
05-07-2007, 09:56 PM
-and you, sir, might want to see the DBacks'. :)

Oh yeah, and we did win yesterday! :clap
Well I never said the Diamondbacks didn't have a nice group of youngsters. Just that your team sucks. Your buddy is the one over here is the one that's trying to call out the Dodgers farm system. :drunk

JMarkJohns
05-07-2007, 10:06 PM
I said nothing of your farm system. With all your overpaid geezers getting the play, however, as long as your within sniffing distance of a division Title, I don't see how you'll be working them in. You can't exactly pay them all that money to sit...

Diamondbacks hardly suck. They just aren't as experienced as the Dodgers right now, but soon that will change.

As far as farm systems go, Arizona's has been amongst the NLs (and MLBs) best for the last four years and is currently ranked as high as anyones in the bigs. They have so much talent they'll never even get to play it all.

Unlike the Dodgers, however, at least they are trying...

Purple & Gold
05-07-2007, 10:13 PM
I said nothing of your farm system. With all your overpaid geezers getting the play, however, as long as your within sniffing distance of a division Title, I don't see how you'll be working them in. You can't exactly pay them all that money to sit...

Diamondbacks hardly suck. They just aren't as experienced as the Dodgers right now, but soon that will change.

As far as farm systems go, Arizona's has been amongst the NLs (and MLBs) best for the last four years and is currently ranked as high as anyones in the bigs. They have so much talent they'll never even get to play it all.

Unlike the Dodgers, however, at least they are trying...
So tell me smart guy who exactly are these overpaid geezers that we're locked into that is impeding our youngsters? You do realize that there is still baseball after this year.. right?

The Diamondbacks do suck. Your boy Drew will never amount to anything. His genetics are fucked. Anybody related to J.D. is doomed for failure.

And your farm system still doesn't compare to the Dodgers. :smokin

JMarkJohns
05-07-2007, 10:39 PM
So tell me smart guy who exactly are these overpaid geezers that we're locked into that is impeding our youngsters? You do realize that there is still baseball after this year.. right?

The Diamondbacks do suck. Your boy Drew will never amount to anything. His genetics are fucked. Anybody related to J.D. is doomed for failure.

And your farm system still doesn't compare to the Dodgers. :smokin

So says??? You??? Ok....

As for contracts, they could all be up at years end, fine, they will all still be a year behind in development than the Diamondbacks.

Which organization was the last to have a player win a major award? Oh.. that would be Arizona just last season. Which organization was the last to win a playoff series? Oh... Arizona? Umm... Yeah! Which Organization was the last to win a Title? Yeah, again, I'm going to have to go with Arizona... HEY! What do ya know, I'm right again!

"And your farm system still doesn't compare to the Dodgers." (http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/ranking-organizations/)

OK... here's what an expert says...

The Good Stuff...

According to this system, the Diamondbacks have the greatest concentration of offensive "studs." They have 11 guys who are 90th-percentile or better against their age group; in other words, nearly 25% of their system is in the top 10% of minor leaguers.

Here are the top five farm systems for hitters:
1.Los Angeles Dodgers
2.Arizona Diamondbacks (trailing the Dodgers by less than 1%)
Colorado Rockies
Cleveland Indians
San Diego Padres

The top five for pitchers:
Minnesota Twins
Cleveland Indians
Chicago Cubs
Philadelphia Phillies
Milwaukee Brewers

Putting it all together, here's how each team's farm system ranks:
1.Los Angeles Dodgers
2.Cleveland Indians
3.Arizona Diamondbacks

Who's gettin' a head start?

Arizona...

By the way, this isn't counting players like Tracy or Jackson, just players who can still be considered "rookies" and minor leaguers.

And another...

Nightmare on the Farm (http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/2006/01/nightmare_on_th.php)
By Bryan Smith

Ranking farm systems is a practice that I generally avoid. It's simply too difficult to come up with a solid ranking, as one should effectively balance the number of and degree of top-heavy players, the depth in a system, as well as those that have recently graduated and been traded. It's a lot to balance.

Instead, most of the time I like to stick to tiers. We know that at the top of any organizational ranking list, in no particular order, should be the Dodgers, Diamondbacks, Marlins and Angels.

Baseball Prospectus also had Arizona as it's #1 just last year, though I can't find that article. It may be archived now, and I haven't acess as I am not a subscriber.

If the Diamondbacks prospects are limited, then so are the Dodgers.

Unless of course you magic Kool-Aid told ya differently :rolleyes

Purple & Gold
05-07-2007, 10:43 PM
^^ Was this post supposed to have a point??

JMarkJohns
05-07-2007, 10:52 PM
^^ Was this post supposed to have a point??

You not getting the point, was the point. You can't blame an idiot for being an idiot anymore than you can blame a wall for hurting you when you, as an idiot, continue to dash your head against it.

You, my friend, are the idiot -> :bang <- The wall, common sense

Just because you're hittin' it, doesn't mean you're gettin' it.

Purple & Gold
05-07-2007, 11:03 PM
You not getting the point, was the point. You can't blame an idiot for being an idiot anymore than you can blame a wall for hurting you when you, as an idiot, continue to dash your head against it.

You, my friend, are the idiot -> :bang <- The wall, common sense

Just because you're hittin' it, doesn't mean you're gettin' it.
Like I said, so what are you trying to say?

That the Dodgers have no future because they are nothing but geezers? Isn't that what you were saying? :drunk

I mean you posted multiple articles saying the Dodgers have the best farm system (as well as having a better team this year), so I'm trying to understand what you're trying to say. :wakeup

JMarkJohns
05-07-2007, 11:14 PM
Like I said, so what are you trying to say?

That the Dodgers have no future because they are nothing but geezers? Isn't that what you were saying? :drunk

No... that you playing your geezers now in an effort to possibly win a division rather than the young, inexpensive talent may hinder your future compared to the Diamondbacks since they rid themselves of big-money, little-production geezers in favor of an early start at sifting through their uber-talented farm system to find the keepers. Doing such at last one year before LA bodes well for the long run.

I mean you posted multiple articles saying the Dodgers have the best farm system (as well as having a better team this year), so I'm trying to understand what you're trying to say. :wakeup

No. I quoted two articles, one who's author said, in his opinion, the Dodgers were tops, the Diamondbacks third and another that said it was too close to call.

I never said the Dodgers had a poor farm system. I never said anything about their system other than the quotes from outside sources.

You simply implied things weren't even close. According to unbiased experts, it's VERY close, in some minds, too close to make a call.

I just found the 2007 Baseball Prospectus rankings (can't link, but you can search if you care too). The Dodgers are fifth, the Diamondbacks sixth, and they didn't count Tracy, Jackson, Hairston, Callaspo, Drew or Quentin into their rankings. Had they included Hairston, Callaspo, Drew and Quentin, they'd have probably been in the top two.

You flat out stated the Diamondbacks sucked and that their farm system wasn't nearly as good as the Dodgers.

I said they didn't suck, but were young and inconsistant, and that they were, at the very least, equals with LA in the current farm system.

Whether you accept common sense is all up to you.

Let's see how things workout this year, shall we?

BTW, different topic, but have you heard any of the latest on the Lakers trading Bynum? Unless they land Jermaine O'Neal or Garnett, I wouldn't. I'm sure they think similarly, but was wondering if they'd said as much.

Thanks.

JMarkJohns
05-07-2007, 11:36 PM
Meanwhile, Davis pitched a solid 6 innings tonight, giving up two runs to the Phillies.

He's been their best and most consistant pitcher for Arizona.

Guess he was a good get afterall. sub-2.5 ERA... quietly.

Hope they can string a few more wins together.

Purple & Gold
05-08-2007, 12:25 AM
No... that you playing your geezers now in an effort to possibly win a division rather than the young, inexpensive talent may hinder your future compared to the Diamondbacks since they rid themselves of big-money, little-production geezers in favor of an early start at sifting through their uber-talented farm system to find the keepers. Doing such at last one year before LA bodes well for the long run.
Well the Dodgers don't really have any geezers. I'm assuming you're speaking of Nomar, Kent and Gonzalez. I don't think you can really call Nomar and Kent geezers. They still produce, especially Nomar. I would agree that Gonzalez is a geezer, but he's only signed for 1 year and he seems to be back on the juice. Good news for the Dodgers. The Dodgers are playing youngsters and you will see more getting called up. LaRoche finally got called up and he plays 3rd, which is one of our big weaknesses. Kemp and Ethier will rotate in the outfield, and Russell Martin is the best young catcher IMO. As of right now Looney looks like he's gonna be the only one that will be getting held back. And that's good news for the Dodgers because that means Nomar is playing well and not hurt. Another plus is that Nomar plays multiple positions, so he can always be moved around to make room for Looney. Not to mention the young pitching we have with Beimel, Broxton, Tsao, etc. I don't really think your extra year is gonna make that big of a difference. We should have no problem competing this year as well as next year and beyond.

No. I quoted two articles, one who's author said, in his opinion, the Dodgers were tops, the Diamondbacks third and another that said it was too close to call.

I never said the Dodgers had a poor farm system. I never said anything about their system other than the quotes from outside sources.
No but you said the team was full of geezers and had no future. Having a good farm system pretty much counters that.

You simply implied things weren't even close. According to unbiased experts, it's VERY close, in some minds, too close to make a call.
I'd still take the Dodgers farm system over the D'backs. :smokin

I just found the 2007 Baseball Prospectus rankings (can't link, but you can search if you care too). The Dodgers are fifth, the Diamondbacks sixth, and they didn't count Tracy, Jackson, Hairston, Callaspo, Drew or Quentin into their rankings. Had they included Hairston, Callaspo, Drew and Quentin, they'd have probably been in the top two.
And I'm sure that list doesn't include Ethier, Martin, Kemp, Broxton, Billingsley.

You flat out stated the Diamondbacks sucked and that their farm system wasn't nearly as good as the Dodgers.
They do suck compared to the Dodgers. :smokin

I said they didn't suck, but were young and inconsistant, and that they were, at the very least, equals with LA in the current farm system.

Whether you accept common sense is all up to you.

Let's see how things workout this year, shall we?
Seriously, your team does have a bright future (other then Drew). But they are not as good as the Dodgers this year and I don't think that extra year is gonna be as much as an advantage as you think it will be. We're also loaded with youngsters as well as having some solid veterans and one of the best pitching staffs in baseball.

Now if you have called the Giants a bunch of geezers I would have agreed with you. :lol

BTW, different topic, but have you heard any of the latest on the Lakers trading Bynum? Unless they land Jermaine O'Neal or Garnett, I wouldn't. I'm sure they think similarly, but was wondering if they'd said as much.

Thanks.
IMO Bynum only gets traded for KG. I know Kobe doesn't want to wait for Bynum, but he's not the GM. He's too worried about his prime and not the future of the Lakers. Kwame is an expiring $10 Million so he will probably get moved and Odom will more then likely get moved before Bynum. But I do have a feeling that the KG to L.A. move will probably happen this year. If not they use the mid-level on a PG, maybe sign and trade Walton for some defense, and wait another year for Bynum. I have a feeling he will play much better this coming year and start looking like a solid big.

Purple & Gold
05-08-2007, 12:29 AM
Meanwhile, Davis pitched a solid 6 innings tonight, giving up two runs to the Phillies.

He's been their best and most consistant pitcher for Arizona.

Guess he was a good get afterall. sub-2.5 ERA... quietly.

Hope they can string a few more wins together.
Brad Penny had 14 K's tonight. :clap :clap

JMarkJohns
05-08-2007, 12:42 AM
I wish the Diamondbacks had never traded that kid. I know he's a potential injury every start, but he's got "it" and works his ass off every start.

As for you Dodgers prospects, both literal and implied, it'll be interesting to see the Dodgers and Diamondbacks battling things out for the extended future. Lots of talent. Diamondbacks need a few more young pitchers, but with all these prospects, and their low payroll, maybe within the next few seasons they can acquire another youngster.

Purple & Gold
05-08-2007, 12:51 AM
Brad Penny is the man. If he wouldn't have thrown out his arm in last years All-Star Game he would have had a much better year. He's also taking better care of himself and his weight, so hopefully that means less injuries.

Yeah both teams have very good prospects. And the Padres and Rockies also have some nice young talent. The Giants have a couple of nice young pitchers, but other than that look old as fuck. The NL West is looking much stronger now and will be getting better.

tsb2000
05-16-2007, 11:17 AM
How 'bout the Big unit last night, huh? Nine K's in 6 solid innings. Sure it was the Rockies, but a win is a win and it's nice to see RJ coming back into form. :)

DOMINATOR
05-16-2007, 12:32 PM
How 'bout the Big unit las night, huh? Nine k's in 6 solid innings. Sure it was the Rockies, but a win is a win and it's nice to see RJ coming back into form. :)
actually rockies have some really good patient hitters: Helton, Holliday, Atkins, Hawpe.

misterx91578
05-19-2007, 12:49 AM
nice to meet other dback fans

tsb2000
05-20-2007, 09:11 PM
...and another decent performance by RJ. It's good to see some consistency from him.

Mike Tirico
05-21-2007, 12:09 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/images4/20061016ho_mnf_450.jpg

misterx91578
05-21-2007, 01:06 AM
yea 10ks for randy

misterx91578
05-21-2007, 11:26 PM
half a game out of first

tsb2000
05-25-2007, 06:43 PM
Good news from last night is that Owings is back and the Astros got Owned! Of course, that would have been a lot sweeter if it were the Dodgers, but a win is a win. :)

TheSanityAnnex
05-26-2007, 08:30 PM
.5 games back. Go Pads.

tsb2000
05-26-2007, 11:41 PM
I've noticed that since the Suns got own3d, there's not a lot of talk about the DBacks going on. More DBacks fans should be Spurs fans, and they wouldn't get their hearts broken during basketball season! :lol

JMarkJohns
05-31-2007, 07:39 PM
I've noticed that since the Suns got own3d, there's not a lot of talk about the DBacks going on. More DBacks fans should be Spurs fans, and they wouldn't get their hearts broken during basketball season! :lol

:pctoss

I think I'm better. Think...

tsb2000
06-01-2007, 11:04 AM
Either way, the DBacks have their big test this weekend with three games at Shea against the evil Mets.

Go Snakes! :)

BUMP
06-01-2007, 05:37 PM
whats it like to root for a contender in baseball? is it possible to actually win games? :depressed

JMarkJohns
06-01-2007, 10:56 PM
Great win today. Webb was masterful, the hitting was timely, the defense solid and, overall, I think it was one of the best performances for them in years. Hopefully it's a great start to an even better weekend.

whats it like to root for a contender in baseball? is it possible to actually win games? :depressed

The Diamondbacks have been terrible for the last handful of years. They barely won 50 games in 2004, failed to live up to expectations in 2005, had that terrible stretch last year where they won like five games in close to 40 or so...

I'm very grateful they are now a good team. Wouldn't call them a contender just yet, but they have potential.

The point of this was your team may be down now, but it's doubtful they had as bad a stretch as the Diamondbacks the last three years. If Arizona can pull out and right the ship and contend, then there's no reason any team can't.

OldDirtMcGirt
06-02-2007, 12:52 AM
I'm kind of disappointed that the Mets are so banged up, it would be nice to see this team against the best squad in the national league. Our pitching has been absolutely out of the world.

My only worry about the Diamondbacks is Bob Melvin. I've never been a Melvin fan at all, but as long as we're winning I can't complain.

JMarkJohns
06-02-2007, 10:42 AM
I'm kind of disappointed that the Mets are so banged up, it would be nice to see this team against the best squad in the national league. Our pitching has been absolutely out of the world.

My only worry about the Diamondbacks is Bob Melvin. I've never been a Melvin fan at all, but as long as we're winning I can't complain.

Yeah. The Mets are definately beat up. Arizona's had its fair share of injuries as well. Wish both teams were healthy, but that's seldom the case.

As for Melvin, he's better than Brenley. He was terrible. I maintain the Diamondbacks won the Series despite him. Melvin isn't very good, however. He does seem to manage fairly well.

What is it with Arizona pro teams and their inept coaching? I'll leave the Cardinals off for now, but the Suns, D-backs and Coyotes all have coaches that are lacking alot of coaching know-how.

OldDirtMcGirt
06-02-2007, 01:22 PM
Yeah. The Mets are definately beat up. Arizona's had its fair share of injuries as well. Wish both teams were healthy, but that's seldom the case.

As for Melvin, he's better than Brenley. He was terrible. I maintain the Diamondbacks won the Series despite him. Melvin isn't very good, however. He does seem to manage fairly well.

What is it with Arizona pro teams and their inept coaching? I'll leave the Cardinals off for now, but the Suns, D-backs and Coyotes all have coaches that are lacking alot of coaching know-how.

Ditto on Brenley. I'm pretty sure I could've managed that team to the world series that year.

The guy that I really like is Kirk Gibson. I think that he's was brought over here to be a potential manager. He's young, and a folk hero of sorts that could really relate well to our younger guys.

Also, besides the manager, the other thing that this team needs is some reliable power. Teixara and Cabrera are both guys that I really like, although it's definitely going to be difficult to get them. I also hope that we move Tracy, and CoJack is really on a short leash.

JMarkJohns
06-02-2007, 03:33 PM
Ditto on Brenley. I'm pretty sure I could've managed that team to the world series that year.

The guy that I really like is Kirk Gibson. I think that he's was brought over here to be a potential manager. He's young, and a folk hero of sorts that could really relate well to our younger guys.

Also, besides the manager, the other thing that this team needs is some reliable power. Teixara and Cabrera are both guys that I really like, although it's definitely going to be difficult to get them. I also hope that we move Tracy, and CoJack is really on a short leash.

I haven't any idea what it would take for the Diamondbacks to get Teixara or Cabrera, but I'd willingly sign off on either deal, as long as Owings, Quentin, Drew, Young or Upton aren't included.

They got their brains beat in today. Shame. I was hoping for a sweep. They need to win this series, then win the next series. They need to enter their home series vs. Boston on a high note.

OldDirtMcGirt
06-02-2007, 04:48 PM
I haven't any idea what it would take for the Diamondbacks to get Teixara or Cabrera, but I'd willingly sign off on either deal, as long as Owings, Quentin, Drew, Young or Upton aren't included.

They got their brains beat in today. Shame. I was hoping for a sweep. They need to win this series, then win the next series. They need to enter their home series vs. Boston on a high note.

I know that Texas needs pitching, so it might involve someone like Scherzer along with a guy like Tracy or CoJack. Scherzer is really a luxury right now, especially with how well our pitching has been performing.

And I like Owings as much as the next guy, but I'd gladly give him up for a chance at Cabrera.

JMarkJohns
06-02-2007, 05:19 PM
I know that Texas needs pitching, so it might involve someone like Scherzer along with a guy like Tracy or CoJack. Scherzer is really a luxury right now, especially with how well our pitching has been performing.

Sounds like a great option. CoJack/Scherzer for Teixara.

And I like Owings as much as the next guy, but I'd gladly give him up for a chance at Cabrera.

I don't want to give up Owings for anything other than another young stud pitcher. The Diamondbacks have plenty of hitting prospects. They have options for trades. They can't just give up highly-rated pitching prospects with the age of the current staff for offense.

If they had another young stud that was proven/in the process of proving such status, then sure, trade one of the pair, but after Webb, the staff is really old, or unproven.

I'd give up similar to above (maybe switch out Jackson for Tracy), plus throw in a prospect like Carlos Gonzalez of AAA, and pitcher like Nippert.

Only problem with both these guys is extensions. I'm not certain the Diamondbacks can offer the money other clubs will, so trading a lot for them for a season or two could be viewed as an unnecessary risk.

OldDirtMcGirt
06-03-2007, 04:04 AM
I really think that our best option right now is to go with Texiara. Cabrera is a fantastic player, and he's sure as hell alot better than Tracy, but when he becomes a free agent he'll defy the laws of money. While Texiara is a stud, he's less of star, and when this offense matures we might not even need Cabrera. Upton, Young, and Quentin are all guys who could give us 30 homers a year, and if you add that to Byrnes and O-dog and you have a pretty potent offense. Plus, Mark Reynolds has looked fantastic.

As for Scherzer, I really like the guy, although I've heard that he's probably best suited to be a closer. Valverde still makes me nervous, but with the way he's pitching there's no way we can get rid of him.

As for the money situation, I believe that this offseason is when we finally get to cut down on all of our debt payments. In a couple of years, we should be pretty competitive in the free agent market.

JMarkJohns
06-03-2007, 09:46 AM
Teixeira's agent is Scott Boras. They've had some real issues with Boras clients recently. Without the money to compete with the likes of the Dodgers, Braves, Mets, Cubs, Red Sox, Yankess, Angels, etc... I'm not sure the Diamondbacks will pull a four-month rental type deal.

JMarkJohns
06-03-2007, 10:21 PM
Well, the Diamondbacks got that series win. The injuries for the Mets suck, but the Diamondbacks have had their fair share early on as well that probably cost them some games. They missed Tracy, Jackson, Young and even Johnson missed a start or two.

They are looking really good right now.

tsb2000
06-04-2007, 10:42 PM

Well, the Red Sox are coming, so the DBacks will get their test soon enough, for sure.

tsb2000
06-04-2007, 10:44 PM

Eh, I was a big Brenly fan. He brought the rings to AZ, so I can't complain about him. He wasn't much of a teacher, but he was a great manager for the team he had.

Also, it will be a great day in Phoenix when Wayne Gretzky fires himself. :clap

tsb2000
06-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Teixeira's agent is Scott Boras. They've had some real issues with Boras clients recently. Without the money to compete with the likes of the Dodgers, Braves, Mets, Cubs, Red Sox, Yankess, Angels, etc... I'm not sure the Diamondbacks will pull a four-month rental type deal.

It will be interesting next month to see if the DBacks are buyers, a la the perennial Yankees and Red Sox. Now that I think about it, it will also be nice to see Steinbrenner finally be a "seller" this year, if their losing trends (not withstanding this weekend) continue! :lol

Who wants ARod? :lmao

OldDirtMcGirt
06-05-2007, 01:35 PM
Eh, I was a big Brenly fan. He brought the rings to AZ, so I can't complain about him. He wasn't much of a teacher, but he was a great manager for the team he had.

Also, it will be a great day in Phoenix when Wayne Gretzky fires himself. :clap

I had to watch Game 7 in 2001 with defibrillator and the emergency room on speed dial. At least Brenly/Kim made it more exciting :spin .

Ditto on Gretzky though.

JMarkJohns
06-06-2007, 12:22 AM
!!!

tsb2000
06-06-2007, 10:40 AM
I had to watch Game 7 in 2001 with defibrillator and the emergency room on speed dial. At least Brenly/Kim made it more exciting :spin .

Ditto on Gretzky though.

The screams in my neighborhood after Gonzo got that winning hit were deafening. Very good day. :) The funny thing was there was a Yankee fan down the street who we heard screaming when they did well during that game. We all gave him an earful afterward! :lol

JMarkJohns
06-06-2007, 11:43 PM
!!!

Lather. Rinse. Repeat! :hungry: Can't wait until this weekend! Bring on them Red Sox!

OldDirtMcGirt
06-06-2007, 11:55 PM
Chris Young is ballin'!

JMarkJohns
06-07-2007, 01:06 AM
I'm real glad we traded Javier Vasquez for him. At the time I was iffy as Vasquez was a proven talent. Now, I don't know what I was thinking. HUGE deal that will go down as one of the moves that made this team great! He, Quentin and Upton will comprise one of the most talented outfields I've seen. Granted, I've only followed for a decade, but still...

tsb2000
06-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Snakes played great last night; it's good to see they can win the close ones!

JMarkJohns
06-07-2007, 11:45 AM
I can't remember the stat, but they are one of the best, if not the best team in one-run games thus far this season. They said it a day or two ago, but I forget. There's been win or two mor added, which only adds to my confusion :dizzy

tsb2000
06-08-2007, 05:57 AM
So much for the streak. Papa Grande choked on the save. D'oh! Oh well, bring on the Sox!

tsb2000
06-08-2007, 11:57 PM
A whole new streak of the wrong kind has begun. DBacks got OWN3D tonight by the Red Sox! D'oh!

OldDirtMcGirt
06-09-2007, 04:02 PM
A whole new streak of the wrong kind has begun. DBacks got OWN3D tonight by the Red Sox! D'oh!

I really don't like Doug Davis for some reason. Every time he's pitching I cringe, but at least it's not as bad as EdGo.

JMarkJohns
06-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Well, I was at each of the last two games. Really enjoyed each, but obviously was hoping for a Saturday win. Yesterday was great. Way too many Boston fans. Really ticked me off. I couldn't even say anything Saturday since the Diamondbacks lost. Yesterday I started a chant that got picked up around where I sat, but didn't catch on with the stadium of, "Go-Home-Red-Sox!!!" I was absolutely sick to death of the morons constantly starting their "Let's Go Red Sox" chants. Also, while they were chanting, "Manny, Manny, Manny!!!" I was screaming "Lazy, Lazy, Lazy" in response!

Glad to see them win that last game and hope it get's them going for a series win vs. New York.

tsb2000
06-12-2007, 12:28 AM
Well, I was at each of the last two games. Really enjoyed each, but obviously was hoping for a Saturday win. Yesterday was great. Way too many Boston fans. Really ticked me off. I couldn't even say anything Saturday since the Diamondbacks lost. Yesterday I started a chant that got picked up around where I sat, but didn't catch on with the stadium of, "Go-Home-Red-Sox!!!" I was absolutely sick to death of the morons constantly starting their "Let's Go Red Sox" chants. Also, while they were chanting, "Manny, Manny, Manny!!!" I was screaming "Lazy, Lazy, Lazy" in response!

Glad to see them win that last game and hope it get's them going for a series win vs. New York.

I hear you. There's two of those (Sox fans) in my office. I heard a lot of garbage before the weekend, but they insisted all was good now since the DBacks were playing the Yankees tomorrow. Either way, I'm glad the DBacks didn't get swept. If only the bullpen had showed up, the DBacks would have won on Sat.

Also, look who has the most wins in the NL? It's not the Mets! :lol

JMarkJohns
06-15-2007, 11:59 AM
YIKES!!!

*insert covering eyes emoticon here*

tsb2000
06-16-2007, 12:40 PM
Nice comeback last night, even if it was the O's. I'll take any wins as they come. This interleague crap needs to get finished, and soon!

JMarkJohns
06-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Nice comeback last night, even if it was the O's. I'll take any wins as they come. This interleague crap needs to get finished, and soon!

They have a nice opportunity to get their swagger back vs. the Orioles and at home vs. the Devil Rays in the next five (six counting last night) games.

Go on a 5-1, 6-0 type run exiting Interleague play. Hopefully get them going because they play more games on the road than at home in the upcoming month.

tsb2000
06-16-2007, 01:02 PM
Definitely, hopefully, the Snakes can get back on their horse and get on the right track again this week.

Only bad news was that RJ was put on the DL for what the Republic called a "tight glute." I about fell off my chair laughing! :lol

JMarkJohns
06-16-2007, 02:49 PM
He's been suffering from "tight glute syndrome" his entire career...

It's not a bad thing. I actually like when they go every other start with Johnson and Gonzalez. Each needs starts, but one needs to be good and strong for the post-All-Star break stretch run, while the other needs experience in case of injury and/or for showcasing for a trade.

JMarkJohns
06-17-2007, 12:21 AM
"...Yep!"
- Hank Hill, "King Of The Hill

JMarkJohns
06-17-2007, 04:39 PM
"...Yep!"
- Hank Hill, "King Of The Hill

"...Yep!"
- Boomhauer, "King Of The Hill

tsb2000
06-17-2007, 08:56 PM
Sweeeep go the O's. Nice!

I won't draw any parallels for you, but, well- you know. :)

JMarkJohns
06-17-2007, 10:07 PM
Sweeeep go the O's. Nice!

Yep! :lol

Back at home for three against the Devil Rays, three against the Orioles, and three against the Dodgers. I'd like to go 7-2. I'll take 6-3, but I expect 7-2.

tsb2000
06-18-2007, 03:50 PM
That would be great, especially if the DBacks do well against the Dodgers.

Also, have you checked out these new DBacks license plates? You can get them through the MVD. Check out the link.

Link to MVD (https://servicearizona.com/webapp/vehicle/plates/personalizedChoiceSelection.do?plateChoice=118)

JMarkJohns
06-18-2007, 03:55 PM
I can't see anything. Said the application can't continue. That it may have timed out.

It's OK, I've got my 2001 Championship plate :)

tsb2000
06-18-2007, 06:21 PM
I can't see anything. Said the application can't continue. That it may have timed out.

It's OK, I've got my 2001 Championship plate :)

Oh well. If you go to www.arizona.gov, then follow the link to the MVD, and follow the process as if you were to choose a new license plate, you can see the new red & tan DBacks plate being offered here. My registration is up in Sept, and I think I'm going to switch the plate since my car is already that color. :)

JMarkJohns
06-18-2007, 11:13 PM
I can't believe the Diamondbacks are gonna lose to the freakin' Devil Rays. Thanks a hell of a lot, Livan :pctoss Six freakin' runs? SIX?! Sheesh... Nice of the offense to take the night off as well.

tsb2000
06-19-2007, 01:47 PM
Yeah, that was about a beatdown. Not good at all. Hopefully they will get back to actually hitting the ball tonight.

JMarkJohns
06-19-2007, 11:23 PM
God help me... The Diamondbacks have never beaten the Devil Rays. They have three Division crowns, a World Series and are a much better franchise from top to bottom, but they can't beat the Devil Rays once? Not in eight tries?

So much for 7-2 in this homestand. The Orioles will be better, if simply because they'll be amped with their new manager and the Dodgers will win a game or two.

six wins and three losses is possible, but 5-4 is now looking likely. That really sucks.

tsb2000
06-19-2007, 11:33 PM
I'm beginning to think today is yesterday, looking at that scoreboard.

(EDIT) Spoke too soon- Tony Clark- you are the F***ING man! :clap

JMarkJohns
06-21-2007, 12:17 AM
Awesome. Yeah... I wrote them off on Tuesday. I thought I'd seen the flick before... on Monday. Great to see they don't have quit in them. Great win on Tuesday, great win for Owings today. Let's sweep the Orioles, then go 2-1 vs. the Dodgers, THANK YOU!

tsb2000
06-21-2007, 12:40 PM
No doubt, yerday's game was great as well. The DBacks get a day off today and it's back in action againt the O's again, and then the eeeeee-vil Dodgers. In fact, the next two weeks are going to be a tough stretch, right up to the all-star game. After the home stand, it's off to SF, then StL and Cincy. I hope the DBacks can keep up the momentum, because that's where the wheels could come off.

JMarkJohns
06-21-2007, 09:14 PM
No doubt, yerday's game was great as well. The DBacks get a day off today and it's back in action againt the O's again, and then the eeeeee-vil Dodgers. In fact, the next two weeks are going to be a tough stretch, right up to the all-star game. After the home stand, it's off to SF, then StL and Cincy. I hope the DBacks can keep up the momentum, because that's where the wheels could come off.

vs. Baltimore: 2-1
vs. Los Angeles: 2-1
at San Francisco: 2-1
at St. Louis: 1-2
at Cincinnat: 2-1
------------------------
TOTALS ........9-6

That's the minimum of what I expect. I'd like 10-5 much better.

tsb2000
06-22-2007, 04:33 PM
vs. Baltimore: 2-1
vs. Los Angeles: 2-1
at San Francisco: 2-1
at St. Louis: 1-2
at Cincinnat: 2-1
------------------------
TOTALS ........9-6

That's the minimum of what I expect. I'd like 10-5 much better.

If the DBacks could win 10 games before the break, that would be awesome!

JMarkJohns
06-23-2007, 12:28 AM
Ouch... BAD start to their first-half finish *shaking head*

tsb2000
06-24-2007, 11:17 AM
Good win last night, but it worries me about the game before when BWebb said he had "his good stuff."

Rubber match is today! :)

tsb2000
06-24-2007, 11:19 AM
Think the DBacks will be buying or selling in the next couple of weeks? All I hear is how the BOS/LAD/NYY teams will come to pluck out all of our players soon. Personally, I'd like to see the DBacks get aggressive and have another quality starter brought in. We've certainly got the prospects to bring in a top-tier pitcher.

*cough* Dontrelle Willis? *cough* :)

JMarkJohns
06-24-2007, 02:55 PM
Willis a nice wish. Berhle or however you spell his name, would be as well.

I think they are content to keep this team in tact, maybe some bullpen help, but nothing major, then see what their options are for next offseason. Byrnes and Hudson are up for either arbitration or free agency, so they'll need to keep some cash free.

If he continues to pitch well, they may call up Max Scherzer. He dominate class A ball. 32 Ks, 2 BBs, 0.58 ERA in over 40 innings pitched. He's in double-A ball right now, and if you recall, Webb got the call up from double-A. Never went to triple-A. Scherzer was one of the top prospects in all of the draft last year. Like the Angels did with Weaver, so could the Diamondbacks with Max.

tsb2000
06-25-2007, 12:12 AM
Willis a nice wish. Berhle or however you spell his name, would be as well.

I think they are content to keep this team in tact, maybe some bullpen help, but nothing major, then see what their options are for next offseason. Byrnes and Hudson are up for either arbitration or free agency, so they'll need to keep some cash free.

If he continues to pitch well, they may call up Max Scherzer. He dominate class A ball. 32 Ks, 2 BBs, 0.58 ERA in over 40 innings pitched. He's in double-A ball right now, and if you recall, Webb got the call up from double-A. Never went to triple-A. Scherzer was one of the top prospects in all of the draft last year. Like the Angels did with Weaver, so could the Diamondbacks with Max.

Eh, dare to dream. :drunk

The Snakes are back in first place! Woo-hoo!

True, there is some flexibility for next season, and hopefully the management team here won't do anything crazy.

JMarkJohns
06-25-2007, 12:48 AM
That Scherzer fella got touched up a bit in his first double-A start, allowing three earned in five. Not terrible, but not what some expected. Still, give him another three or four starts and we'll see. He'll likely be up for September, but that's too late for a playoff roster spot.

It's good to see them beat the teams they are supposed to beat, even when they are struggling, but now is where their money is made.

2-2 vs. the Dodgers is the bare minimum. I expect 3-1. It won't be easy, but they need to learn how to win when it's not, and do so against teams equal, if not better than them.

Dodgers are a good test.

tsb2000
06-26-2007, 09:24 PM
Well, although the DBacks took a thumping yesterday, they will hopefully do what the did last time and win the rest of the games in the series.

Also, Unit is back and will start on Thursday! Woo-hoo! :)

JMarkJohns
06-27-2007, 12:16 AM
No luck tonight. Damn Loney and Billingsly...

tsb2000
06-27-2007, 11:00 PM
Yeah, no kidding. That was about a heartbreaker after the comeback with the PH home run yesterday. Let's hope the DBacks can hold onto the lead tonight!

JMarkJohns
06-27-2007, 11:10 PM
Webb pitched fantastic against a lineup that has murdered us the last two games. he didn't even have his best stuff and still went 7 innings of shutout ball....

Thing are interesting. As I type, bases are loaded for the Dodgers, two outs in the top of the 8th, with Valverde coming in to attempt a 4-out save.

Me no likey...

tsb2000
06-29-2007, 09:18 AM
Papa Grande got the save, but I ended up going to the debacle that was yesterday. RJ was pulled early, and it was almost a bloodbath. Yikes. :pctoss Oh well, at least the beer was cold! :)

This team is good in spurts, but it's obvious the DBacks some help on the mound. Hopefully, they can pick up a serviceable starter before the trade deadline to add to the day-to-day consistency, which they're not getting right now.

JMarkJohns
06-29-2007, 06:30 PM
5-5 on a hopestand... not too good. Hopefully they can go 4-2 to close out the first half...

JMarkJohns
06-30-2007, 12:03 AM
Barroids homers to tie the game...

Didn't matter. Montero comes through with a homer. Valverde the save...

Thanks a lot, Papa Grande!

tsb2000
07-02-2007, 12:17 PM
13-0? :wtf

I am SO glad I didn't watch that game! Oy!

and what's up with Byrnes not making the all-star team, and Roid Boy getting the start?

Ugh.

JMarkJohns
07-02-2007, 08:03 PM
Too many outfielders when you start to take on Barroids and the like.

Webb may not make it either, though of the two, Byrnes is definately the more deervingof the pair.

Valverde deserved it, and Hudson deserved it. I know Byrnes has better humbers, but I maintain that Hudson is the Diamondbacks' MVP of the first half.

tsb2000
07-03-2007, 12:23 AM
Again? 11-3? Oh, hell no! :wtf

I'll second that; O-dog definitely deserved his nod.

Did you see Byrnes on BDSSP talking about getting snubbed? Hilarious! :lol

T Park
07-03-2007, 12:27 AM
Sorry bout that.

The Cardinals needed that badly :lol

Looper looked great till that 6th inning. He was out two weeks so hes still getting his wind back.

Spring Franklin and Flores were fantastic.

Scotty Rolen looked like Scotty Rolen of old tonight instead of a washed up overpaid defensive 3rd baseman.

JMarkJohns
07-03-2007, 11:09 PM
There's no such thing as a small win... Petit win, however? Alive and well!!!

Good to see some offense for a change.

T Park
07-04-2007, 05:26 PM
jmark, i think even you could get a homerun off of Todd Wellemeyer.

JMarkJohns
07-04-2007, 05:28 PM
LMAO!

Diamondbacks need the Livan of the last game. They need to compete. They can lose, so long as they compete. Getting blown out again is not an option.

Whom do the Cardinals have going?

T Park
07-04-2007, 06:02 PM
Brad Thompson

nothing hard, hes known for in AA for throwing 60 straight scorless innings.

hes a solid pitcher, and hes starting to pitcher better. If he can stay on top of the sinker and throw strikes, hes pretty effective.

T Park
07-04-2007, 08:45 PM
:lol

Izzy likes to make em interesting :lol

Awesome come back.

Shouldnt have flipped the bat Livian........

JMarkJohns
07-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Yeah.. maybe next time instead of saying I'd be happy with them competing, I'll demand them to win when they should :rolleyes

Good win, good series win... tough stretch for the Diamondbacks. They are young, so it's to be expected, but that's 3-7 in their last 10. OUCH!

T Park
07-05-2007, 01:46 AM
giving up the series already?

We've got one more tommarow :)

JMarkJohns
07-05-2007, 11:01 AM
I forgot about that. Four-game out-of-division series just aren't that common in the National League.

OldDirtMcGirt
07-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Yeah.. maybe next time instead of saying I'd be happy with them competing, I'll demand them to win when they should :rolleyes

Good win, good series win... tough stretch for the Diamondbacks. They are young, so it's to be expected, but that's 3-7 in their last 10. OUCH!

It comes from the head of the organization. I really don't think that Melvin is good at all for this club.

tsb2000
07-05-2007, 11:08 PM
:pctoss :pctoss :pctoss

Grrr! Losing 3 of 4 to the freaking drunk-ass Cardinals? Unacceptable!

T Park
07-06-2007, 02:42 AM
drunk ass cardinals?

Defending World Champions and you've got it right :)

JMarkJohns
07-06-2007, 09:31 AM
Freakin' Doug Davis! Freakin' ground-rule doubles!

What the hell?! Does the Cardinals new stadium have trampolines for a warning track? Drew hit three GRDs in two freakin' days!

tsb2000
07-06-2007, 09:48 AM
drunk ass cardinals?

Defending World Champions and you've got it right :)

Drunk, as in :drunk

See: LaRussa, Tony & Hancock, Josh

Your reign will be short; the Cardinals won't even sniff the playoffs this year.

JMarkJohns
07-06-2007, 03:36 PM
Carlos Quentin optioned to Triple-A today. Don't know about that. Guess we'll have to see. He's a dynamic player who's great defensively and has immense potential at the plate. Right now his mind aint' right, and he's hackin' to try and make up for lost time. Hopefully this will reverse said trend, help him find his sweet swing, and maybe, just maybe, give him the confidense he had last year for a late 2nd-half call up to help the struggling Diamondbacks.

JMarkJohns
07-06-2007, 09:18 PM
:shootme

gaKNOW!blee
07-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Drunk, as in :drunk

See: LaRussa, Tony & Hancock, Josh

Your reign will be short; the Cardinals won't even sniff the playoffs this year.was bringin Josh Hancock's name up really neccassary?

tsb2000
07-07-2007, 08:04 PM
Carlos Quentin optioned to Triple-A today. Don't know about that. Guess we'll have to see. He's a dynamic player who's great defensively and has immense potential at the plate. Right now his mind aint' right, and he's hackin' to try and make up for lost time. Hopefully this will reverse said trend, help him find his sweet swing, and maybe, just maybe, give him the confidense he had last year for a late 2nd-half call up to help the struggling Diamondbacks.

I saw that, and I don't think that's the answer to the problem. The issue is pitching, and it's been about horrible (not White Sox horrible, but a L is a L :)). The confidence comes and goes in a young team, but the pitching has been awful lately. Unit is out, Webb and Hernandez are struggling, and Owings got- well- owned in his last start.

tsb2000
07-07-2007, 08:18 PM
oh the irony. :dramaquee BWebb just made the all-star team. :lol

JMarkJohns
07-07-2007, 10:28 PM
We suck...

tsb2000
07-08-2007, 12:18 AM
We do now, fore sure- losing again to the Reds....ugh....

T Park
07-08-2007, 02:11 AM
Your reign will be short; the Cardinals won't even sniff the playoffs this year.

Thats ok, having the second most championships in baseball history, the best player in baseball, and lots of good young players coming up, 2008 will be the year the Cardinals go back to the top.

JMarkJohns
07-08-2007, 03:45 PM
Should I be happy that at least they battled? Seriously, what a piece of shit team right now. They are the Reds first sweep in a freakin year...

tsb2000
07-09-2007, 04:06 PM
I hear you. The good news is the DBacks will not lose today. I guarantee! :lol

JMarkJohns
07-09-2007, 05:00 PM
They won't win, either...

tsb2000
07-10-2007, 09:31 PM
They won't win, either...

That's ok. Neither did the Dodgers. :lol

I hope one of the DBacks actually gets to play before this score gets out of hand in the ASG!

JMarkJohns
07-14-2007, 06:34 PM
Good win yesterday. Davis pitched shitty, but the results wouldn't tell it. Still, only allowing three runs in all of it was too bad.

Great to see the Diamondbats wake up.

misterx91578
07-21-2007, 08:07 PM
dbacks beat cubs today 3-2 drew homer in 8th to win it

JMarkJohns
07-21-2007, 08:37 PM
They are 4-5 since the break. Dodgers are probably 6-3. With how crappy they played to close out the first half, they'll need to do much better than .500 to keep on pace.

tsb2000
07-21-2007, 11:20 PM
Exactly, they will have to be much better than .500.

Now I'm hearing the DBacks are probably going to be sellers. I'm hearing Livan Hernandez (from Sportscenter tonight), and obviously Byrnes and Hudson are names that won't stop getting phone calls since the DBacks put both of their contract negotiations on hold.

misterx91578
07-22-2007, 01:08 AM
Exactly, they will have to be much better than .500.

Now I'm hearing the DBacks are probably going to be sellers. I'm hearing Livan Hernandez (from Sportscenter tonight), and obviously Byrnes and Hudson are names that won't stop getting phone calls since the DBacks put both of their contract negotiations on hold.

i wouldnt mind any of them being traded

JMarkJohns
07-22-2007, 10:42 AM
Hudson still has a year left, so I'm unsure why they'd trade him this year. Also, they get draft pick compensation when Byrnes walks, plus he puts butts in the seats this year, so I doubt he's traded. At least not just traded to be traded.

Livan and Doug Davis are definately options. As should be Conor Jackson.

T Park
07-22-2007, 10:52 AM
giving up on a youngster like Conor Jackson already?

Hmmm....

JMarkJohns
07-22-2007, 11:11 AM
I wouldn't say already. This is his third season, and his power isn't near what is should be, his average isn't much better than .280 when on, and he's a right-handed bat, same as other top D-Backs prospects, Chris Young, Carlos Quentin, Mark Reynolds, Scott Hairston, Jeff Salazar as well as their top two outfield prospects in the minors, Justin Upton and Carlos Gonzalez.

With Reynolds' emergance at third, Tracy playing first is a much better lineup for power (mainly thanks to Mark) and average (Tracy). That leaves Jackson for spot duty at first, and in the outfield, that's already close to six/seven deep.

I'm not giving up, but trading a redundant talent for a need, either pitching, or a lefty power bat for the outfield.

I'd be willing to trade Hernandez/Jackson/Hairston for a top-level talent. A centending team would be wise to snatch this up. They get a quality #3/#4 pitcher, a proven average hitter who can play first and outfield, and a quality top-teir batting prospect fresh off an MVP of the PCL last season.

I'm merely trying to discuss a remedy to the logjam of righthanded bats, average first-basemen and the glut of outfield prospects.

misterx91578
07-22-2007, 11:35 AM
Hudson still has a year left, so I'm unsure why they'd trade him this year. Also, they get draft pick compensation when Byrnes walks, plus he puts butts in the seats this year, so I doubt he's traded. At least not just traded to be traded.

Livan and Doug Davis are definately options. As should be Conor Jackson.

you trade Brynes now because his value will not be any higher then now and can get more immediate help then a draft choice that may or may not make to the dbacks

JMarkJohns
07-22-2007, 11:55 AM
I understand that, but he's the current face of the franchise. He's a fan favorite and he puts asses in the seats. It'd be a tough seel without him out there getting filthy and swinging hard for the fences... I realize his stats have him overvalued right now, but cutting ties now would hurt their rest of the season take.

misterx91578
07-22-2007, 04:31 PM
Yusmeiro Petit lightts out today for 3-0 win over cubs

JMarkJohns
07-22-2007, 05:37 PM
I can't believe the Diamondbacks got this kid for Jorge Julio...

He's been a very solid starter for a kid that wasn't expected to be counted upon, nor expected to even play with the Marlins again.

He, Owings and Webb make up a solid little group of pitchers, and if they can acquire another quality youngster/star, then I'll be exstatic.

Nippert and Gonzalez have shown some flashes as well, though each appear to be great out of the pen, average, at best, when starting.

misterx91578
07-22-2007, 10:19 PM
Petit has been awesome filling in for Randy

tsb2000
07-22-2007, 11:56 PM
I hope DBacks mgt realizes they are not out of the race, and need to be buyers before the deadline- not sellers. Taking two of three from the hottest team in the NL over the weekend on the road should be proof of that.

misterx91578
07-25-2007, 12:12 AM
make that 4 in a row and gained on la 2.5 back now

JMarkJohns
07-25-2007, 09:02 AM
I really like that the Diamondbacks are stealing more bases. They have plenty of speed, and if they pick their spots, they should be a very dangerous team. It's really jumpstarted some games, and even comebacks, for them of late.

I'm telling you, there's no reason Chris Young can't be a 70 steals per season guy in the future.

misterx91578
07-25-2007, 11:32 PM
dbacks win 5th in a row and gain again on la and sd

JMarkJohns
07-26-2007, 08:22 AM
Just 1.5 out. Looking like some youngsters are starting to hit. Maybe they are just hot right now, but a little confidence can go a long way. Hopefully Hairston can build off of last night to join Drew, Young, Snyder and Reynolds. Throw in Jackson as well.

tsb2000
07-26-2007, 10:57 AM
It's nice to be on the happy end of a sweep again!

Bring on the Braves- then it's all business at SD and LA, and hopefully back in first place!

JMarkJohns
07-26-2007, 01:37 PM
It's nice to be on the happy end of a sweep again!

Not quite. It was a four-game series. Micah Owens vs. Byung-Yyun Kim tonight. Should be a solid game for Owens (if he can handle Chicago, you'd think he can handle Florida) and if the Diamondbacks can stay patient with Kim's pitching, then they should get him out early.

JMarkJohns
07-27-2007, 12:00 AM
OK, tsb, you can get your brooms out! Byrnes with a walkoff!!!

Six in a row, all alone in second... Are things finally looking up?!

misterx91578
07-27-2007, 09:25 AM
and the wild card lead now

JMarkJohns
07-27-2007, 09:47 AM
Good thing is Teixeira isn't yet a Brave. Diamondbacks need to take two of three here. I'd love, LOVE a sweep, but I'm a bit more realistic than that. They need to win tonight, then take one of the last two.

ducks
07-27-2007, 12:15 PM
Byrnes is a fa
do you want them to resign him?

JMarkJohns
07-27-2007, 02:22 PM
I'd like to resign him, but he's asking for a five year, 45 million dollar deal from the Diamondbacks, and that's WAY too much for Byrnes, especially when you consider the D-backs outfield depth in the minors. They already have five guys capable of big things in Young, Quentin, Hairston, Salazar and Gonzalez, then they have the top overall outfield prospect in the minors in Justin Upton. Each and every one of those named is a top-100 prospect, and Young, Hairston and Upton have been top-20 prospects, with Quentin being a top-30. Gonzalez is a top-20 and Salazar has proven himself worthy of a prolonged second look with his play last month.

Too many players who need playing time to commit to such a pricy and longterm player, no matter how much he means to this potential playoff team.

tsb2000
07-27-2007, 03:13 PM
I'd like to resign him, but he's asking for a five year, 45 million dollar deal from the Diamondbacks, and that's WAY too much for Byrnes, especially when you consider the D-backs outfield depth in the minors. They already have five guys capable of big things in Young, Quentin, Hairston, Salazar and Gonzalez, then they have the top overall outfield prospect in the minors in Justin Upton. Each and every one of those named is a top-100 prospect, and Young, Hairston and Upton have been top-20 prospects, with Quentin being a top-30. Gonzalez is a top-20 and Salazar has proven himself worthy of a prolonged second look with his play last month.

Too many players who need playing time to commit to such a pricy and longterm player, no matter how much he means to this potential playoff team.

All that said, EB is the fire of the team. I really hope they keep him. I wouldn'ty mind a couple of those young guys packaged for a starting pitcher with a decent ERA so the DBacks can really make a run.

JMarkJohns
07-27-2007, 04:33 PM
I would love that as well, but they won't be keeping Byrnes for 5 years, nor for 9 million a season. If he was willing to go for 3 years, 20 million, the Diamondbacks would sign him, but Byrnes is looking for his first big payday, and I ain't talking about no kingsized candy bar...

I want the Diamondbacks to keep Young, Upton and Quentin. If they can keep those three, while trading Hairston, Gonzalez and maybe Jackson for a quality pitcher, then signing Byrnes sounds a lot better. If they can't, then they shouldn't resign him. They'd be much smarter to invest that kind of money into Hudson, who's up after next season, one because he's a great, great defender who improves the largely groundball pitching of the Diamondbacks and two, he's at a position where there isn't near as much prospect conjestion.

JMarkJohns
07-27-2007, 05:40 PM
According to Sports Illustrated, after inquiring about Abreu and Dye, the Diamondbacks have decided neither is worth the asking price, Double-A outfielder Carlos Gonzalez.

Just shows, they aren't about overpaying NOW, when they have soo much cheap talent at their disposal.

tsb2000
07-27-2007, 07:21 PM
They did trade Hairston to the Pads for a reliever. Check azcentral for the details (I'm lazy) :)

-and apparently Unit's season is over; he's going to have surgery.

I hope the DBacks make a move for a starter; that's their biggest need.

JMarkJohns
07-27-2007, 07:29 PM
I saw the triple-A reliever's stats. Not too shabby. Allows a ton of hits, but it's an offensive league. His ERA is 3.3, so that's not bad. He has a 3-1 strikeout/walk ratio, so he seems like a quality prospect, but 24 hits in 27 innings pitched is a bit much.

Johnson being done sucks. I hope this isn't the end end... I'd hate to see him fade on such a down note.

Going after a Matt Morris wouldn't be a bad idea.

JMarkJohns
07-28-2007, 12:26 AM
HATED to see the pitching blow a 7-0 lead, but I'm exstatic the offense showed up, that the bullpen pitched pretty well for as long as they were asked to, and that Clark's walkoff saved the game, and the wildcard lead for the moment.

Another 0-for performance for Carlos Quentin. This kid needs to do in the bigs whatever it is that he has done in the triple-A to bat .350 with power. I'm sick of seeing this kid's potential go unrealized, and I hate that with every whiff and hard out, his trade value is fading.

Good win, but lots to improve upon!

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-28-2007, 12:28 AM
Fuck you, Tony Clark.

T Park
07-28-2007, 12:29 PM
Only a game out of first.

Unreal considering how bad they went there for a while.

JMarkJohns
07-28-2007, 01:07 PM
This isn't real hitting, though. It's them seeing the ball for a time. It's great, but it won't last. Of their last 15 runs scored, 13 came by way of the homerun. For a team that doesn't have any "homerun" hitters, nor even good depth for "power" hitters, that's a ton! It's impressive, but I'd much prefer to see them start hitting with runners in scoring position. Yesterday, in the 7th and 10th innings, they had bases loaded and nobody out and two on and one out, and not a single run scored.

That concerns me...

ducks
07-28-2007, 06:05 PM
another w for the diamondbacks

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-28-2007, 06:10 PM
Fuck you, Chad Paronto.

JMarkJohns
07-28-2007, 07:36 PM
Wow... this was the game I expected to lose! I hate watching Davis pitch. Still, he really stepped up after that fourth, eating another three innings despite already having almost 80 pitches at that point.

Good to see some timely hitting with runners in scoring position, but they still need to work on it.

ducks
07-28-2007, 08:25 PM
Arizona is the first team with three straight game-winning hits since the Milwaukee Brewers on May 13-17, 2006. The Diamondbacks previously had three straight game-winners from May 10-12, 1999. ... The Diamondbacks led 7-0 on Friday before pulling out an 8-7, 11-inning victory over the Braves. ... Young also led off Arizona's 7-0 win over Florida with a home run. ... It was the second time this season Smoltz had not walked a batter. ... Byrnes' sacrifice fly was the Diamondbacks' major-league leading 45th of the season. ... Davis leads the NL with 72 walks in 131 1-3 innings pitched.

JMarkJohns
07-29-2007, 09:02 PM
Knew this game was coming. The Diamondbacks, however, do strike a bit of luck in that they face four pitchers that they can beat between San Diego and Los Angeles in the upcoming six games. I'd like 4-2. I'll settle for 1-2 vs. Padres, 2-1 vs. the Dodgers.

tsb2000
07-29-2007, 09:34 PM
Knew this game was coming. The Diamondbacks, however, do strike a bit of luck in that they face four pitchers that they can beat between San Diego and Los Angeles in the upcoming six games. I'd like 4-2. I'll settle for 1-2 vs. Padres, 2-1 vs. the Dodgers.

Yeah, Atlanta had to be a little ticked after losing the two games to a walk off.

Off to the left coast! :spin

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-29-2007, 09:52 PM
Fuck you, um, uh...

Whoohoo!

JMarkJohns
08-01-2007, 09:53 AM
Hello first place!

Hopefully the Diamondbacks will prop their feet and make themselves at home!

ducks
08-01-2007, 10:23 PM
Diamonbacks wouldn't part with Gonzalez
Wednesday, Aug 1, 2007 11:16 am EDT

Getty Images
The New York Mets and Washington Nationals tried to involve a third club, the Arizona Diamondbacks, in an attempt to complete a deal that would have involved Washington closer Chad Cordero.

The Nationals' main Arizona target was outfielder Carlos Gonzalez, who was ranked as the 18th-best prospect in the game by Baseball America before the season.

Cordero would have gone to the Mets, but sources said the Diamondbacks would not part with Gonzalez.

Source: Washington Post

JMarkJohns
08-01-2007, 10:30 PM
LMAO! What the hell would the Diamondbacks have gotten for parting with a top-20 prospect? There isn't a single player on the Nationals I want, position player, nor pitcher, and the Mets aren't going to be giving up any significant pieces of their team, and if they are needing a third team to acquire Cordero, then obviously they are a little light in the prospects department.

Gonzalez is insurance for Quentin. He's a hard-throwin, hard-hitting RF. Diamondbacks can't afford to give him away for anything other than a proven player of similar skills, or a top-level pitcher.

ducks
08-01-2007, 10:44 PM
no shit

ducks
08-01-2007, 10:44 PM
you would think yahoo could spell correctly though

ducks
08-01-2007, 10:45 PM
padress left wells in 2 long
to bad for them

ducks
08-01-2007, 10:45 PM
go az

ducks
08-01-2007, 10:47 PM
damm they finally got the pitcher out

ducks
08-01-2007, 10:48 PM
az need to win the series against the dodgers

OldDirtMcGirt
08-01-2007, 11:47 PM
Anybody see that Chris Young catch? Sweet moses!

tsb2000
08-02-2007, 12:21 AM
Well, Papa Grande with the choke in the 9th, hopefully the DBacks can still pull it out tonight. Dodgers are looking good tonight against the Giants, so the Snakes need all the wins they can get right now.

JMarkJohns
08-02-2007, 12:29 AM
*shaking head* What the hell, Valverde?! WHAT THE HELL?!

JMarkJohns
08-02-2007, 01:07 AM
Well, thankfully the offense came through when it mattered, netting four runs in the 11th to take a 9-5 win.

misterx91578
08-02-2007, 08:59 AM
awesome catch by young in the game

tsb2000
08-02-2007, 01:54 PM
Indeed. Glad the DBacks didn't give up after the choke in the 9th.

Also, the former #1 pick Upton just got the call to the DBacks from double A since Quentin got hurt. Time to shine, kid!

JMarkJohns
08-02-2007, 02:04 PM
The catch by Young was very good, but the Salazar catch was much, much better. First off, Salazar had to actually jump to even have a chance at the ball, then he had to hang, reach over the wall and still negotiate his glove so he could snatch the ball that was almost falling straight down, as opposed to falling gracfully like Young's catch.

I guess Young's gets bonus points because of the distance and it robbed a grand slam, but as far as the catches themselves go, it's not even close in my mind.

As for Upton, I'm exstatic!!!

T Park
08-02-2007, 03:02 PM
what position will Upton play?

JMarkJohns
08-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Right or left field.

Probably left, for now, as Byrnes has a better feel for the ballparks and experience with the cutoffs, so what he lacks in armstrength is made up for with knowledge, where a bomber like Upton may overthrow RF to 3rd and what not.

T Park
08-02-2007, 03:19 PM
I'm hearing great things. I wish Yahoo would make him available so i can cut one of my stiff outfielders for him

misterx91578
08-02-2007, 08:40 PM
The catch by Young was very good, but the Salazar catch was much, much better. First off, Salazar had to actually jump to even have a chance at the ball, then he had to hang, reach over the wall and still negotiate his glove so he could snatch the ball that was almost falling straight down, as opposed to falling gracfully like Young's catch.

I guess Young's gets bonus points because of the distance and it robbed a grand slam, but as far as the catches themselves go, it's not even close in my mind.

As for Upton, I'm exstatic!!!

the young catch was better in the sence it saved a grand slam in a tie game and hello mr upton

JMarkJohns
08-02-2007, 10:31 PM
I believe, though I could be wrong, that the game was tied when Giles hit that shot which Salazar caught. If not tied, then it was 1-0 Arizona. As I recall, Arizona won that game by a mere run, so it really mattered as well.

misterx91578
08-02-2007, 10:44 PM
I believe, though I could be wrong, that the game was tied when Giles hit that shot which Salazar caught. If not tied, then it was 1-0 Arizona. As I recall, Arizona won that game by a mere run, so it really mattered as well.

the bases werent loaded the with Salazar's catch

JMarkJohns
08-03-2007, 01:34 AM
But are we judging the situation, or the catch itself?

It's like those who say that Texas/USC for the National Title was the best college football game ever played, simply because it was a great game for the National Title. It was a great game, but, and I have watched a lot of college football, I'll take the Boise State/Oklahoma Fiesta Bowl hands down as the best. It had more scoring, a bigger comeback. It had defeat being snatched from the jaws of victory, then it had a last minute comeback. Then it had Goliath scoring immediately in overtime, then David calmly going for the win, when all it needed was a P.A.T to tie, then winning the game on a play you never actually see run in a game.

Much better game, but the implications weren't as high.

Same premise. The Salazar catch was far better. The situations surrounding Young's are just oo much to look past, though...

misterx91578
08-03-2007, 09:07 AM
But are we judging the situation, or the catch itself?

It's like those who say that Texas/USC for the National Title was the best college football game ever played, simply because it was a great game for the National Title. It was a great game, but, and I have watched a lot of college football, I'll take the Boise State/Oklahoma Fiesta Bowl hands down as the best. It had more scoring, a bigger comeback. It had defeat being snatched from the jaws of victory, then it had a last minute comeback. Then it had Goliath scoring immediately in overtime, then David calmly going for the win, when all it needed was a P.A.T to tie, then winning the game on a play you never actually see run in a game.

Much better game, but the implications weren't as high.

Same premise. The Salazar catch was far better. The situations surrounding Young's are just oo much to look past, though...

The situation with Young's catch makes it better just for that but I agree Salazar's catch was better just for the catch itself

JMarkJohns
08-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Diamondbacks claimed Byung-Hyun Kim off of waivers, today... Also, they claimed Jeff Cirillo. Kim is interesting. If he's willing to become a reliever agian, he could have some real value - AS LONG AS HE IS NOT CLOSING :)

misterx91578
08-03-2007, 09:44 PM
Cirillo wtf?

JMarkJohns
08-03-2007, 10:12 PM
Cirillo wtf?

3rd-base insurance in case Tracy needs to go on the shelf down the stretch. I think he's solid.

misterx91578
08-03-2007, 10:22 PM
3rd-base insurance in case Tracy needs to go on the shelf down the stretch. I think he's solid.

they should dl tracy so he dont hurt himself more and i would rather call up Alberto Callaspo then Cirillo

ducks
08-03-2007, 11:00 PM
diamondbacks going to do better then the suns

OldDirtMcGirt
08-04-2007, 12:01 AM
Double-D pitching a beauty. Never thought I'd say that, the guy just infuriates me for some reason (kind of like Melvin).

misterx91578
08-04-2007, 12:04 AM
dd has never allowed a earned run tothe dodgers

T Park
08-04-2007, 02:38 AM
:lol

Melvin is a damn good manager, and Doug Davis has always been a solid to good pitcher, and Phoenix people rip em both to shreds.

I don't get it.

JMarkJohns
08-04-2007, 10:59 AM
Melvin makes really stupid decisions every so often. They are things that most fans can spot a mile away, but he seemingly ignores. Still, I think he's better than Brenly. That guy nearly cost the Diamondbacks their WS three times.

As for Davis, against the Dodgers, he's great. Every so often against another team, he's great, but two out of three starts, he's violently inconsistant. He'll pitch lights out for 3/4 innings. He'll literally look unhittable. Then he'll give up four or five runs on two hits, four walks and whatnot in an inning or two, then he'll look solid again.

He leads all of baseball in walks allowed per nine innings. That's enough reason to go into a tizzy over the guy, but then factor in his brilliant outings like last night (actually, all season vs. the Dodgers), and you wonder why his lights not on all the time!

It's very frustrating. As one of the color guys for the Diamondbacks says, "You can't defend a walk!" ... and that's so very true. If he gets beat with his best stuff, then I'll take it, but walking four or five a game is really damn irritating.

tsb2000
08-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Diamondbacks claimed Byung-Hyun Kim off of waivers, today... Also, they claimed Jeff Cirillo. Kim is interesting. If he's willing to become a reliever agian, he could have some real value - AS LONG AS HE IS NOT CLOSING :)

I just saw that. BK will be a starter here to replace Petit, who is going back to AAA.

AZ Central (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/0803dbnotes0804.html)

All I can say is :wtf

JMarkJohns
08-04-2007, 01:15 PM
Petit had some great performances early, but had been slapped around a good bit lately. Not sure if Kim is much better, but it makes some sense.

JMarkJohns
08-04-2007, 02:27 PM
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007/0803/mlb_a_young_412.jpg

misterx91578
08-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Joe Kennedy claimed by dbacks

misterx91578
08-04-2007, 07:19 PM
Arizona Diamondbacks add 3 veterans off waivers for pennant run

By BOB BAUM, AP Sports Writer
August 4, 2007

PHOENIX (AP) -- The NL West-leading Arizona Diamondbacks made no move before the trade deadline, but they are making the most of the waiver wire.

The Diamondbacks added three veterans over the past two days to bolster depth heading in to an anticipated pennant run.

ADVERTISEMENT

Left-hander Joe Kennedy was claimed off waivers from the Oakland A's on Saturday, a day after Arizona grabbed ex-Diamondbacks right-hander Byung-Hyun Kim from Florida and infielder Jeff Cirillo from Minnesota.

"Really with all three guys, they just protect areas where we didn't want to see our depth compromised," general manager Josh Byrnes said by telephone Saturday from Los Angeles, where the Diamondbacks were in the midst of a big three-game series with the Dodgers.

Kennedy was 3-9 with a 4.37 ERA this season with Oakland, where he began the year in the starting rotation but made his last 10 appearances as a reliever. He is in his ninth major league season, with stops in Tampa Bay and Colorado before going to Oakland in 2005.

The 28-year-old is 42-61 in his career with a 4.75 ERA. Last season, pitching exclusively out of the bullpen for the A's, he was 4-1 with a 2.31 ERA in 39 appearances.

Kim and Kennedy both have experience as starters. For now, though, Kim will be in the rotation and Kennedy in the bullpen.

Kennedy becomes Arizona's second left-handed reliever. The other is Doug Slaten, 3-1 with a 2.22 ERA in a bullpen that has been the team's biggest strength in its surprisingly successful season.

Kim, also 28, is 6-5 with a 4.63 ERA in 17 appearances -- 14 of them starts -- for Colorado and Florida this season. He returns to a team where he made his big league debut at age 20 in 1999. Kim became Arizona's closer, earning 70 saves from 1999 to 2002.

He's best remembered, however, for his inability to hold leads in the 2001 World Series in Yankee Stadium, where New York came back to force a sixth and seventh game in Phoenix. The Diamondbacks won, but Kim didn't pitch in those final two games.

Either Kim or rookie Micah Owings will start Tuesday night against the Pirates, the opener of a six-game Arizona home stand.

Kim will take the spot initially held by Randy Johnson, out for the season because of back surgery. Rookie Yusmeiro Petit (2-3, 4.23 ERA) had that job, but was optioned to Triple-A Tucson on Saturday.

Arizona also designated outfielder Jeff DaVanon for assignment to make room for Cirillo.

With DaVanon gone and Carlos Quentin injured, Cirillo will become the fourth outfielder, despite playing in the infield most of his career.

The Diamondbacks brought up 19-year-old phenom Justin Upton to play right field earlier in the week.

The 37-year-old Cirillo is a career .297 hitter. He was batting .267 in 50 games for the Twins this season.

"All these guys have been around. They're used to a lot of different roles," Byrnes said. "Kennedy went through a pennant race last year. I think that helps. We have a lot of faith in our team and our young players. They've done a tremendous job, but at this point in the year, they (the newcomers) fill a hole for us and create depth for us."

OldDirtMcGirt
08-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Our bullpen is really great. If only Randy didn't have so many health problems, I'd feel pretty good about our pitching staff.

tsb2000
08-04-2007, 10:22 PM
So far so good. DBacks up 2-0 in the 4th, and Hernandez looks good so far.

:crosses fingers :)

misterx91578
08-04-2007, 10:26 PM
upton got his first hit and its now 4-1

ducks
08-04-2007, 11:01 PM
Diamondbacks Hell Yeah

ducks
08-04-2007, 11:02 PM
when was the last time diamondbacks lost a series?

misterx91578
08-04-2007, 11:13 PM
to the brewers 2nd series after the break

ducks
08-04-2007, 11:15 PM
thanks

tsb2000
08-04-2007, 11:55 PM
Bottom of 9- DBacks up by one!

BRING ON PAPA GRANDE! :)

:crosses toes

tsb2000
08-05-2007, 12:07 AM
BOO-YAA!! :)

Te amo, Papa!

misterx91578
08-05-2007, 12:07 AM
la 3 games back now

tsb2000
08-05-2007, 12:21 AM
Hopefully the Giants can keep the Padres back too. They're tied 2-2 in the 10th, but have a runner on 2nd.

JMarkJohns
08-05-2007, 10:56 AM
That was an uncomfortable win. Not that you don't need one like that ever now an then to remind you that nothing is easy, but DAMN! Where the hell did that come from? Up 8-1 heading into the bottom of the sixth, to leading 8-7 in the bottom of the ninth?

C'mon, bullpen. You're better - MUCH BETTER - than that.

tsb2000
08-05-2007, 05:38 PM
Good news is the BP got some rest today, and the DBacks got the win with B Webb on the hill. :)

JMarkJohns
08-05-2007, 06:10 PM
What a great road trip. Now they go home to face the Pirates and the Nationals. Not to count any chickens before they are hatched, but a solid 4-2 homestand isn't unreasonable to ask for.

Meanwhile, the Padres play four at St. Louis, then three at Cincinnati and the Dodgers travel to Cincinnati for three and then to St. Louis for three.

The Diamondbacks could pick up another two games this next week. They need to take care of their business against teams they should beat, and put pressure on the Dodgers and Padres to keep up.