PDA

View Full Version : Why President Clinton was In a League of his Own

Nbadan
11-20-2004, 02:50 AM
In his speech for his libraby dedication yesterday President Clinton praised George W. Bush's ability to connect personably with the American people. At one point even saying that he thought W could beat him, but when it came to really connecting with people, Clinton was just being modest because he is clearly in a league of his own.

From Clinton's speech. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A60393-2004Nov18.html)

America has two great dominant strands of political thought -- we're represented up here on this stage -- conservatism, which, at its very best, draws lines that should not be crossed; and progressivism, which, at its very best, breaks down barrier that are no longer needed or should never have been erected in the first place.

It seemed to me that in 1992 we needed to do both to prepare America for the 21st century: to be more conservative in things like erasing the deficit and paying down the debt and preventing crime and punishing criminals and protecting and supporting families, and enforcing things like child support laws and reforming the military to meet the new challenges of the 21st century.

And we needed to be more progressive in creating good jobs, reducing poverty, increasing the quality of public education, opening the doors of college to all, increasing access to health care, investing more in science and technology, and building new alliances with our former adversaries, and working for peace across the world and peace in America across all the lines that divide us.

Now, when I proposed to do both, we said that all of them were consistent with the great American values of opportunity, responsibility and community. We labeled the approach "New Democrat." It then became known as the third way, as it was embraced by progressive parties across the world.

If there's any future Democratic Presidential candidates listening they would do well and heed Clinton's advice and reconnect with this approach to politics and as Clinton so elequently does, use his self-deprecating humor in the process.

Yes, this library is the symbol of a bridge, a bridge to the 21st century. It's been called one of the great achievements of the new age, and a British magazine said it looked like a glorified house trailer.

(LAUGHTER)

And I thought, "Well, that's about me, you know. I'm a little red and a little blue."

(LAUGHTER)

Nbadan
11-20-2004, 03:33 AM
I'm sure most of you have seen this outburst by Clinton when ABC's Peter Jennings asked him about the Ken Starr Commission during a interview for his librabry dedication, but it's still well worth repeating...

By JAMES JEFFERSON, Associated Press Writer

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - In a prime-time television outburst, Bill Clinton (news - web sites) ripped old nemesis Kenneth Starr and what the former president portrayed as a gullible media eager to report every "sleazy thing" leaked from a prosecutor bent on bringing him down.

"No other president ever had to endure someone like Ken Starr," Clinton said. "No one ever had to try to save people from ethnic cleansing in the Balkans, and people in Haiti from a military dictator that was murdering them, and all the other problems I dealt with, while every day an entire apparatus was devoted to destroying him."

The former president said he would go to his grave at peace that, while he had personal failings, he never lied to the American people about his job as president.

Clinton added that he doesn't care about what his detractors think about him. Jennings then said it seemed to him that Clinton did care.

The former president responded, "You don't want to go here, Peter. You don't want to go here. Not after what you people did and the way you, your network, what you did with Kenneth Starr. The way your people repeated every, little sleazy thing he leaked. No one has any idea what that's like."

Yahoo News (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&ncid=703&e=1&u=/ap/20041120/ap_on_re_us/clinton_starr)

ducks
11-20-2004, 09:17 AM
no kidding he was in a league of his own
no president ever lied to the grand jusry before
and then he got away with it