PDA

View Full Version : MSNBC's Sam Smith predicts spurs not mavs as champs

doldrums
04-12-2007, 09:48 AM
A good article that even touches on why the officiating went against the Spurs in games 3 and 4 against Dallas last year(Cuban intimidation). While it contains some grammatical errors(why does nobody proofread these articles for such high profile websites?) it is an intriguing read.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18064691

Mr. Body
04-12-2007, 09:52 AM
I think [Conley]'s better than Acie Earl to be an NBA point, though if the Hawks get top three, and they could, the pick goes over to 2008 unprotected.

Ouch.

LEONARD
04-12-2007, 10:00 AM
A good article that even touches on why the officiating went against the Spurs in games 3 and 4 against Dallas last year(Cuban intimidation).

:cry :cry :cry

Mentioning officiating = lame :donkey

Spurs could certainly win it all this year though...

td4mvp21
04-12-2007, 10:07 AM
:cry :cry :cry

Mentioning officiating = lame :donkey

:lol Tell that to your fellow Mavs fans in the NBA forum.

Realistically, the officiating was lopsided and inconsistent both ways, depending on where the game was played. This year, the refs just need to be consistent and decide what they are going to call and what they are not and stick with it. Not that hard I would think. I don't remember who the officials were last year, but to me, the league office, if possible, needs to have only experienced officials in those type of series.

101A
04-12-2007, 10:19 AM
FWIW: WCF vs. WCSF = More experienced officials.

LEONARD
04-12-2007, 10:28 AM
:lol Tell that to your fellow Mavs fans in the NBA forum

I have...many times...

Real Tomato Ketchup
04-12-2007, 10:28 AM
It never became much of an issue because the Spurs remain perhaps the classiest and most professional of organizations, and never complain about apparent inequities.

AWESOME, That is my fav. thing about being a SPURS fan.

twincam
04-12-2007, 10:43 AM
interesting reading...and I rarely read these lengthy articles.

Samr
04-12-2007, 10:53 AM
That read was painful. He offered no original insight, and it is clear that msnbc does not edit their product.

When a place publishes a written piece, it is only partially on the author to correct errors -- they are the talent, not the coach-- but ultimately it is up to the editors to make them clean and polished. And it reflects poorly on the publisher when the pieces are rough, especially to the extent that this one goes.

I mean, it's good to hear someone talk about the Spurs in such a positive light, but the rhetoric is by no means original or investigative. Want to change someone's opinion? Show them an angle they haven't seen. This one has been overplayed and it is getting annoying, seeing them use the "been there all along" card. Well guess what? This take has been there all along as well. Either play a new beat, or please, get off the damn drums.

ThomasGranger
04-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Realistically, the officiating was lopsided and inconsistent both ways, depending on where the game was played.

Agreed. I came away from that series feeling that the refs seemed less intent on tilting the series towards either team than simply extending it to seven games. I suspect the Mavs got the whistles in the beginning since they were probably perceived (justly or not) as slight underdogs, but when the Spurs found themselves behind the eight ball they appeared to benefit more from the calls.

Shank
04-12-2007, 10:56 AM
NEVER use Sam Smith's opinion on anything. It may be cool to see that he's liking your Spurs, but the guy is a washed-up old douche that gives crappy insight without research or will just straight-up jack it from someone else.

Shank
04-12-2007, 10:59 AM
God, there are so many holes in that column.

monosylab1k
04-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Sam Smith picking them is the biggest jinx on the Spurs yet. There's no bigger unethical scumbag in sports journalism (except maybe Skip Bayless, who also picks the Spurs if I remember correctly).

ambchang
04-12-2007, 11:09 AM
:clap
NEVER use Sam Smith's opinion on anything. It may be cool to see that he's liking your Spurs, but the guy is a washed-up old douche that gives crappy insight without research or will just straight-up jack it from someone else.

DarrinS
04-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Sam Smith picking them is the biggest jinx on the Spurs yet. There's no bigger unethical scumbag in sports journalism (except maybe Skip Bayless, who also picks the Spurs if I remember correctly).

Anyone picking the Spurs is an unethical scumbag. That includes you, Stephen A. Smith, and you, Sir Charles. Haven't these guys read the NBA memo that states Dallas and Phoenix are THE teams to beat? WTF is wrong with these guys.

Cry Havoc
04-12-2007, 11:10 AM
Well-written. All the analysis in the world will be useless until Elson steps on the court to tip against Damp, though.

41times
04-12-2007, 11:12 AM
Sam Smith is the biggest media blow hard ever. And he is frequently wrong. Plus he hates Cuban because Cuban has pointed out his often incorrectly written articles. So no surprise.

But the Spurs and Mavs will play for the WCF's in a few weeks and it will be a great series. I can't wait!

monosylab1k
04-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Anyone picking the Spurs is an unethical scumbag. That includes you, Stephen A. Smith, and you, Sir Charles. Haven't these guys read the NBA memo that states Dallas and Phoenix are THE teams to beat? WTF is wrong with these guys.

got no problem with Chuck picking them. Smith and Bayless are unscrupulous assholes, however. it's not about someone picking the spurs, it's about who it is that's picking them. why don't you just go back to posting lightly humorous pictures, you're much better at that.

Jimcs50
04-12-2007, 11:29 AM
:jack

Blaming the refs for last season's meltdown, instead of Pop's horrible coaching is ludicrous.

Sam needs to retire.

jn77
04-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Sam's article not anything that hasn't been said on this board all season. I wasn't terribly impressed. It is nice that someone in the media is recognizing the good things the Spurs are doing this season (particularly since the all star break), but it is not insightful or eye poping. I am looking forward to Dallas vs San Antonio the sequal. Hoping for another seven game series! We already know the officiating will suck BOTH WAYS, so why don't we all concede that now! May the Best Team win!

:flag:

By the way isn't it funny how a Few Mavs fans totaly hated this article, calling people who picked the spurs Blow hards and assholes? Why, because they point out that the Spurs can still beat the Mavs? I mean the article did suck,but c'mon let us have our moment!

Shank
04-12-2007, 12:50 PM
By the way isn't it funny how a Few Mavs fans totaly hated this article, calling people who picked the spurs Blow hards and assholes? Why, because they point out that the Spurs can still beat the Mavs? I mean the article did suck,but c'mon let us have our moment!

Nah, a lot of the points being made in the media are legit. It's just that Sam Smith sucks balls.

LilMissSPURfect
04-12-2007, 12:57 PM
:jack

Blaming the refs for last season's meltdown, instead of Pop's horrible coaching is ludicrous.

Sam needs to retire.

painful was watching game 3 and 4.......duncan fouls out when dirk steps on him........but i suppose it all panned out ehy? :p:

hopefully this time around Duncan can try to focus and predict where IRK's next step will b so to avoid that predicament again! :rolleyes

SenorSpur
04-12-2007, 01:24 PM
What struck me about the Dallas-SA playoff series was the stellar play despite the poor officiating. There were bad calls all around on both sides. It just seemed that the variety of bad calls that came the Spurs way came during critical moments of the game and affected the outcome - the Ginobili foul on Dirk notwithstanding.

Why Manu, why?

Extra Stout
04-12-2007, 02:14 PM
I can't remember the last time the spurs looked so healthy(knock on wood)entering the playoffs.............they might not only win this whole thing....they may dominate it.
But Buck, I thought the NBA conspiracy determined the champion.

timvp
04-12-2007, 02:50 PM
I'd rather Jimcs50 predict a Spurs championship.

AnkleBreaker21
04-12-2007, 02:53 PM
it really doesnt matter who predicts shit, their predictions aren't going to win us any games.

lebomb
04-12-2007, 02:57 PM
it really doesnt matter who predicts shit, their predictions aren't going to win us any games.

:clap .........

Yeah everyone thought the Mavs would walk thru the Heat to the ship last year.....shows how much predictions mean.

Lady Marmalade
04-12-2007, 05:23 PM
LALALA I'm not listening.

J.T.
04-12-2007, 06:19 PM
Sam Smith is a huge douche. Almost as big a douche as Bill "homer for all things Boston" Simmons.

Shank
04-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Sam Smith is a huge douche. Almost as big a douche as Bill "homer for all things Boston" Simmons.

Bill "The Suns are the greatest team of ALL TIME" Simmons? That one?

Voice of Truth
04-13-2007, 01:54 AM
A good article that even touches on why the officiating went against the Spurs in games 3 and 4 against Dallas last year(Cuban intimidation). While it contains some grammatical errors(why does nobody proofread these articles for such high profile websites?) it is an intriguing read.

Just another opinion I hope to hear from this guy late in April...

ponky
04-13-2007, 02:08 AM

:lmao :lmao :lmao

look, spurs might win it...mavs might win it...maybe some team from the east might win it...but this is freakin' hilarious, get off it already. btw, i have never once bitched about the officiating in the finals, heat won, we didn't for many reasons that the mavs only have themselves to blame, move on, this year's playoffs are a week away and still talking about what went down last year?

Tbiggums
04-13-2007, 08:28 AM

Good Stuff! I feel every word of that column. I feel the Spurs will have to earn this. The question then becomes are The Spurs capable of earning their 4th title. They have what it takes...We'll see! :clap

Voice of Truth
04-14-2007, 02:23 AM

This analyst is on drugs!

gtownspur
04-14-2007, 02:34 AM
Voice of Cooch, you better be around when the spurs win it all, otherwise you're a big pussy.

Pussy.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-14-2007, 02:47 AM
I can't wait for SpursDynasty's opinion on this article.

aaronstampler
04-14-2007, 04:08 AM
I can't wait for SpursDynasty's opinion on this article.

"The article was supposed to win?"

johngateswhiteley
04-14-2007, 04:38 AM
great article. bottom line...mavs were fortunate to beat the Spurs last year and are still not the better team.

sorry mavs fan...eat shit and die.