PDA

View Full Version : OPINION: George Karl

MrChug
04-12-2007, 10:16 AM
What do you think about George Karl? As a coach, he's fantastic. As a public figure, a complete joke. This guy is going to inundate the Spurs and their fans with fantastic and jaw-dropping quotes and tactics THROUGHOUT the whole series and I'm just wondering if anyone can remember any PAST transgressions that were laughable?

I remember after his run with the Sonics LONG ago that after Kemp and Payton were gone he told this absurd sour grapes story about how Well the Sonics have 6 55+ win seasons, only the Lakers have matched it or something to that extent.

***(FYI the Spurs have sewn up their 7th...and minus the *asterisk* season might have been our 9th!)

MajorMike
04-12-2007, 10:20 AM
Ghey.

FromWayDowntown
04-12-2007, 10:26 AM
I think that anyone who remembers the First Round series in 2005 is well aware of the sorts of craziness that Furious George can bring to the table.

degenerate_gambler
04-12-2007, 10:47 AM
I've always liked him as a player and a coach.

DarrinS
04-12-2007, 11:12 AM
Here's my opinion of George Karl.

He looks just like actor John Lithgow.

http://broadwayworld.com/photoops/pillowmanarrivals/john_lithgow.jpg

MrChug
04-12-2007, 12:40 PM
Here's my opinion of George Karl.

He looks just like actor John Lithgow.

http://broadwayworld.com/photoops/pillowmanarrivals/john_lithgow.jpg

Times 2

itzsoweezee
04-12-2007, 12:49 PM
he's don nelson jr.

as far as what he says, who cares? why get upset over something so meaningless?

Martin R
04-12-2007, 01:11 PM
....just wait he starts crying for "Ginobili's flopping acts".....he becomes so "charlatan" in the playoff that you even start wondering if that guy could be really Jay Leno.....

G-Nob
04-12-2007, 02:35 PM
Leave George alone. He's been a Spur and always will be a Spur.

MrChug
04-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Leave George alone. He's been a Spur and always will be a Spur.

Just like Avery?

G-Nob
04-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Yes. Just like Avery.
Avery hit the game winner in 1999 so we should all be greatful to that man.

dbreiden83080
04-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Not looking forward to the Spurs/Nuggets series simply because Karl is going to run his mouth the whole series about the officiating and probably Manu again.

G-Nob
04-12-2007, 05:44 PM
Same thing can be said if we play the Suns or the Mavs or anyone else. Coaches like to play those head games with the refs in the playoffs. Its the Phil Jackson school of psychology.

Phenomanul
04-12-2007, 06:04 PM
He instructed Anthony, and K-Mart to clobber Ginobili at the end of Game 4 in their 2005 series.

That approach is for losers.

FlyHigh07
04-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Same thing can be said if we play the Suns or the Mavs or anyone else. Coaches like to play those head games with the refs in the playoffs. Its the Phil Jackson school of psychology

wildbill2u
04-12-2007, 06:29 PM
Disclaimer: I was friends with George and Kathy when they were living here. I went to Laredo to see him coach his first NBA team in an exhibition game. I got invited to go to Seattle when they were in the playoffs, so I'm biased in his favor.

The thing about George is he's old school. Two things. Red Auerbach and Phil jackson are great coaches who wanted to get into their opponents heads. If he is successful at that, he's gotcha.

Second, George played hard when he was a Spur, so much so that he was best known for taking charges on defense. His old nemesis, was a 250 forward from Indiana named George McGinnis and he used to give McGinnis fits--while taking lots of lumps.

He expects his players to love the game as much as he did and to give that kind of effort. To take the charge and get hurt if it means winning a meaningless regular season game. He has no patience with players who malinger, who don't play hard all the time or who are selfish.

"New school" players whine about everything and think about money first. Like him or not, he's a pretty good coach, but he wears thin fast on some of these prima donna bitches because he's not very diplomatic about saying truths about them if they don't measure up.

exstatic
04-12-2007, 07:22 PM
He wears thin on all of his players, wb. He's a great Xs and Os coach, but hasn't the slightest clue on how to handle today's player of any stripe. Pop is old school, but he understands that the best way to communicate with his players ISN'T through the newspapers. It's a player's league, and they want to be treated like men, even if they aren't acting like one. Once you start with that premise, you learn what buttons to press and go from there.

MrChug
04-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Same thing can be said if we play the Suns or the Mavs or anyone else. Coaches like to play those head games with the refs in the playoffs. Its the Phil Jackson school of psychology.

Hmmm....

MrChug
04-12-2007, 09:34 PM
Same thing can be said if we play the Suns or the Mavs or anyone else. Coaches like to play those head games with the refs in the playoffs. Its the Phil Jackson school of psychology

Uhhh...de ja vu.

You just outed yourself. SEE ABOVE.

G-Nob
04-13-2007, 11:33 AM
Uhhh...de ja vu.

You just outed yourself. SEE ABOVE.

That's not me. Someone copy and pasted my quote.

:)

Taco
04-13-2007, 12:26 PM
What do you think about George Karl?

He need's one of these http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/2125/pacifiertm9.jpg

CubanMustGo
04-13-2007, 02:14 PM
If GK was as great as he thought he was, he'd have five championships by now.

alamo50
04-14-2007, 05:23 AM
I can already hear Ex crying.

:cry

:lol

Borosai
04-14-2007, 06:11 AM
Nothing.

powerpower
04-14-2007, 06:14 AM
let's all pray because denver can really hurt manu with his penetration even tony sooooooo...
Let's stay healthy!

wildbill2u
04-14-2007, 08:30 AM
He wears thin on all of his players, wb. He's a great Xs and Os coach, but hasn't the slightest clue on how to handle today's player of any stripe. Pop is old school, but he understands that the best way to communicate with his players ISN'T through the newspapers. It's a player's league, and they want to be treated like men, even if they aren't acting like one. Once you start with that premise, you learn what buttons to press and go from there.
Some of what you say is true. George does let his frustrations overrun his mouth in public sometimes--but sometimes I love it when he lets one of those prima donnas have it.

Pop has had one great advantage. He started with a team that has pretty much always recruited players with character as well as talent. Tim and DROB come to mind as players who set the tone. And Avery, who didn't have all the talent in the world, but certainly helped keep the locker room egos in hand. When you're stars have character and show their willingness to think of the team first, everyone else tends to mute their ego trips.

Then, if anyone started the prima donna shit, Pop may have talked to them in private during the season--but at the same time he was making plans for their farewell dinner.

But George has had to deal with outsized egos on stars--and how easy would you get rid of a star who's selfish or won't practice or whatever. Suppose Tim acted like Alan Iverson or some of the other prominent headcases? That puts the coach in a dilemma with few good options and the frustration level rises. Because in the last analysis, the star usually is retained by the FO and the coach takes the blame for the losses.

Frankly, knowing George, I'm amazed he's gotten so fat. Things eat at him so much, I'd expect him to be off his feed and be anorexic. But maybe he's compensating for the frustrations of the job by enjoying the good life too much. :elephant

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-14-2007, 09:02 AM
Not looking forward to the Spurs/Nuggets series simply because Karl is going to run his mouth the whole series about the officiating and probably Manu again.

:lol for sure.

I bet if Manu comes and has two straight great games against Denver to kick off the playoffs, Karl's gonna be going,
"Remember when I said I was just giving him a hard time in 2005 and that I really loved the guy the whole time I wasaccusing him of flopping and being '...a dirty disgrace to the league'? Well I LIED. I was telling the TRUTH THAT TIME, and lying about liking him this year, so he would let his guard down!
:madrun :madrun :madrun :madrun :madrun :madrun :madrun...."