PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts- '05 vs '07

duncan228
04-13-2007, 02:55 PM
Having just watched NBA TV's Sounds of the Finals that recapped the '05 series I have the following thoughts.

Tim Duncan looks so much better now. He couldn't move then, on two bad ankles. (And he won it!) His speed is better, his footwork is better. He can get some lift, block shots again. And the fire is in his eyes. We don't need anything else if Duncan wants it. As Duncan goes so goes this team.

I hope Horry has something left. I haven't seen it yet this season but I pray it's there. His experience in the clutch is incredibly valuable to this team.

I miss Manu's long hair! And I hope he can play like that again. I've seen glimpses of it this year (see Ditka thread). If he can bring it it's ours.

Tony. What to say about Tony? I think he's matured. I don't think he'll fade at all in the playoffs this year.

Those who weren't with us then:
Jacque Vaughn is worth his weight in gold. Energy and hustle off the bench.

Finley-If he continues the way he's been playing he'll get a ring before Dirk or Nash. Or Cuban for that matter.

I haven't covered everybody, these are just my opinions. Yours?

T Park
04-13-2007, 03:18 PM
I don't know if they are better than they were in 05.

Finley's offense off the bench should help.

It all depends on how much Horry can give, and if Oberto and Elson can be mediocre.

Mr. Body
04-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Ginobili will probably not be as good. Duncan could be much better, and Parker could be much better. Each of those guys is completely capable of being the best guy on the floor for any given stretch. Parker's troubles won't be if he fades, but because he tries to dominate at the wrong times.

I agree with Vaughn and Finley, and expect continued strong play.

I think Horry is done and that he'll only be used in last-play situations or, God forbid, if we absolutely cannot get anything done, like against Detroit in Game Five.

And lastly, how much has Bowen fallen off? Can we expect strong play from him?

duncan228
04-13-2007, 03:39 PM
Ginobili will probably not be as good. Duncan could be much better, and Parker could be much better. Each of those guys is completely capable of being the best guy on the floor for any given stretch. Parker's troubles won't be if he fades, but because he tries to dominate at the wrong times.

I agree with Vaughn and Finley, and expect continued strong play.

I think Horry is done and that he'll only be used in last-play situations or, God forbid, if we absolutely cannot get anything done, like against Detroit in Game Five.

And lastly, how much has Bowen fallen off? Can we expect strong play from him?

Duncan is better this season than he's been in a while. His playoff performances are always great. He will be even better than he is now.

You're probably right on Parker trying at the wrong times. He's great when he's aggressive but he's got to know when to be a play maker.

I'm hoping Manu can return to form.
I hope Horry isn't done.

I think Bowen will give us great defense as always. His offense has never been great and has slipped a lot lately.

Testing
04-13-2007, 03:44 PM
Bowen is still the same owen he was in 2005.

TMTTRIO
04-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Tim looks better than ever and he'll do great. Tony looks better than ever and hopefully that continues but I can't see Manu playing as well as he was in the playoffs of '05 but hopefully the other guys (Brent, Michael) come through.

powerpower
04-13-2007, 04:46 PM
y'all are giving up on manu at the wrong time! (Playoffs)

Samr
04-13-2007, 06:36 PM
I think Elson's play on Dirk will be a big factor. This is the reason the Spurs signed him; this single matchup is the entire reason for him being here. Hopefully he can rise to the challenge, in more ways than one.

Horry's playoffs essentially came down to one shot. I am sure others will argue with me about the "intangibles" he has, but when compared to every single other body, Horry's performance is not all that big of a deal. I'd rather see Bonner have a good playoffs, or Finley, or Vaughn, or Oberto or Bowen.

Barry or Finley HAS to come up big, especially in the first round. Parker is faster, stronger, more mature, better. Duncan is healthy, hardened, and on an extremely beneficial power trip. Manu is still just weird. But if the spurs get a SG to step up? Damn. Talk about problems.... most teams simply cannot match that.

I think playing the suns before the mavs (cross fingers) will be really good. It will get the spurs going on offense, because they will have probably 5-6 games of nothing but out-shooting the other team (their defense will be big as well, but that is not relevant to my point). In short, the Suns series should get them tuned up for the Mavs, letting the shooters catch fire in was is essentially a warmup before the big sprint.

5ToolMan
04-13-2007, 06:39 PM
Having just watched NBA TV's Sounds of the Finals that recapped the '05 series I have the following thoughts.

Tim Duncan looks so much better now. He couldn't move then, on two bad ankles. (And he won it!) His speed is better, his footwork is better. He can get some lift, block shots again. And the fire is in his eyes. We don't need anything else if Duncan wants it. As Duncan goes so goes this team.

I hope Horry has something left. I haven't seen it yet this season but I pray it's there. His experience in the clutch is incredibly valuable to this team.

I miss Manu's long hair! And I hope he can play like that again. I've seen glimpses of it this year (see Ditka thread). If he can bring it it's ours.

Tony. What to say about Tony? I think he's matured. I don't think he'll fade at all in the playoffs this year.

Those who weren't with us then:
Jacque Vaughn is worth his weight in gold. Energy and hustle off the bench.

Finley-If he continues the way he's been playing he'll get a ring before Dirk or Nash. Or Cuban for that matter.

I haven't covered everybody, these are just my opinions. Yours?

On paper and in recent performance the 07 Spurs are much stronger than the 05 Spurs. Duncan's improved health by itself makes this indisputable. While those that don't really understand the team aspect of NBA hoops won't recognize, Tim is playing at a level well beyond 2005 and as good as any player in the league. Tony has grown much stronger and better with his maturity and better shooting. Manu is just as strong in his total team game, although the causual fan does not recognize because he always plays his game within the game and has less need to take over with the Spurs dominating the 2nd half the the season.

The problem is Dallas and the Suns are also stronger playoff teams than they were in 2005. But if the Spurs can get out of the west, as I believe they will, the Heat, Cavs or the Pistons do not equal the Pistons of 2005.

td4mvp21
04-13-2007, 06:56 PM
I watched some of the '05 Finals games today as well. I don't know if we are better or not, we were pretty damn good. Our rebounding is worse. And I can't believe I'm saying this, but I wish we had that Nazr. He did decent those playoffs. Duncan is obviously so much better than he was, Parker as well. Ginobili isn't quite as good but he'll be there for us this year, I can feel it. Horry is over the hill. I think we are much more efficient on offense now than we were. Bowen looks the same really, I think the talent in the NBA has just gone up even more since then. Finley now > Barry/Udrih then. They didn't do too much really. The only ones contributing were the starters and Horry. So maybe there is hope?

duncan228
04-13-2007, 07:11 PM
The problem is Dallas and the Suns are also stronger playoff teams than they were in 2005. But if the Spurs can get out of the west, as I believe they will, the Heat, Cavs or the Pistons do not equal the Pistons of 2005.

I agree. And I believed then and I believe now.

5ToolMan
04-13-2007, 08:24 PM
I watched some of the '05 Finals games today as well. I don't know if we are better or not, we were pretty damn good. Our rebounding is worse. And I can't believe I'm saying this, but I wish we had that Nazr. He did decent those playoffs. Duncan is obviously so much better than he was, Parker as well. Ginobili isn't quite as good but he'll be there for us this year, I can feel it. Horry is over the hill. I think we are much more efficient on offense now than we were. Bowen looks the same really, I think the talent in the NBA has just gone up even more since then. Finley now > Barry/Udrih then. They didn't do too much really. The only ones contributing were the starters and Horry. So maybe there is hope?

I don't how people are saying Manu is not as good as 2005. He is having a career year in 3 point shooting and is making an impact in evey phase of the game.

I understand he is not starting, but his energy off the bench has been vital in giving the Spurs one of their best 2nd halfs of the season in history.

True he does not take over as many games as he did down the stretch and especially in the playoffs. But guess what? He does not take over as much because as a TEAM FIRST Player he understands he does not have to in order to make his team the best they can be. And ... the playoffs have not arrived yet. Manu has shown more than enough to be the Manu we all love and know. All he needs is the opportunity when the TEAM has the need.

Just like Manu, I don't care if he shows just how much of a star he is, as long as he plays the game that make the Spurs World Champs ... again.