PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Spurs stop Wolves

Kori Ellis
04-13-2007, 11:44 PM
Spurs stop Wolves: Ginobili has 21 points, Bonner 18 in easy victory

Web Posted: 04/13/2007 10:59 PM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA041407.01C.BKNspurs.wolves.gamer.35da648.html

MINNEAPOLIS — By the time Manu Ginobili walked off the Target Center floor Friday night, the Spurs guard looked like he had been in a knife fight.
Two 18-inch scratches extended from the top of Ginobili's shoulder to his back, forming a pattern bloody enough to make Michael Finley wince. A smaller gash stretched across Ginobili's opposite shoulder.

Neither flesh wound nor a hard take-down foul from Minnesota center Mark Blount was able to keep Ginobili from slicing up the Timberwolves for 21 points as the Spurs cruised to a 110-91 victory. As a result, the Spurs accomplished their two-goal plan for the remainder of the season: win and stay healthy.

The victory moved the Spurs within 11/2 games of Phoenix for the Western Conference's No. 2 playoff seed pending the Suns' game against the Los Angeles Lakers late Friday.

Matt Bonner scored a season-high 18 points and Brent Barry added 13 off the bench as all of the Spurs' reserves played extended minutes.

Friday was "Fan Appreciation Night" at the Target Center, an ironic promotion given that the Timberwolves' fans haven't had much to appreciate this season. After advancing to the Western Conference finals in 2004, Minnesota will miss the playoffs for the third consecutive year.

The Timberwolves also need to finish with one of the 10-worst records in the league or else they have to give their first-round draft pick to the Los Angeles Clippers as part of the Sam Cassell-for-Marko Jaric swap in 2005. As a result, no one was surprised when Minnesota officials announced this week that Kevin Garnett might miss the remainder of the season with sore right quadriceps.

Robert Horry started in place of an injured Francisco Elson and took advantage of the opportunity after returning from his own injury this week. He had 11 points, five rebounds and three 3-pointers. Tony Parker started, but picked up two fouls in the first two minutes, so Spurs coach Gregg Popovich used the early exit as a chance to sit him for the rest of the night.

Kori Ellis
04-13-2007, 11:55 PM
Updated version with quotes ...

Spurs slam Wolves: Ginobili's 21 points in 22 minutes lead easy win

Web Posted: 04/13/2007 11:43 PM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

MINNEAPOLIS — By the time Manu Ginobili walked off the Target Center floor Friday night, the Spurs guard looked like he had been in a knife fight.

One 18-inch scratch extended from the top of Ginobili's left shoulder to his back. A shorter cut zigzagged above, forming a pattern bloody enough to make Michael Finley wince. Still another gash stretched across the opposite shoulder.

Of course, the Minnesota Timberwolves didn't look so good, either, after Ginobili sliced them up for 21 points in just 22 minutes, helping the Spurs cruise to a 110-91 victory.

Ginobili also survived a hard takedown foul from Minnesota center Mark Blount, allowing the Spurs to meet both their goals for the evening: win and stay healthy. The victory moved the Spurs within 11/2 games of Phoenix for the Western Conference's No. 2 playoff seed pending the outcome of the Suns' game against the Los Angeles Lakers late Friday.

"I think we need to bathe him in some sort of liquid or make him take a tetanus shot," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said of Ginobili, who didn't need stitches for any of his cuts. "It's unbelievable. Hopefully, we'll just keep it from getting infected."

Ginobili made three of the Spurs' 14 3-pointers while Matt Bonner scored a season-high 18 points and Brent Barry added 13 more off the bench, giving the team's starters a chance to rest much of the night.

Friday was "Fan Appreciation Night" at the Target Center, an ironic promotion given that the Timberwolves' fans haven't had much to appreciate this season. After advancing to the Western Conference finals in 2004, Minnesota will miss the playoffs for the third consecutive year.

The Timberwolves also need to finish with one of the 10-worst records in the league or they will have to give their first-round draft pick to the Los Angeles Clippers as part of the Sam Cassell-for-Marko Jaric swap in 2005. As a result, no one was surprised when Minnesota officials announced this week that Kevin Garnett might miss the remainder of the season because of a sore right quadriceps.

Craig Smith started in place of Garnett, but at 6-foot-7, the rookie forward lacked the length to do a suitable impersonation of the Timberwolves' All-Star.

Double-teamed frequently, Tim Duncan finished with 12 points and 10 rebounds before Popovich pulled him a little more than three minutes into the second half.

The Spurs didn't have Francisco Elson, who missed the game after receiving an anti-inflammatory injection for his sore left wrist. He is expected to play Sunday in Dallas.

Robert Horry, who returned from his own injury this week, started in place of Elson and took advantage of the 23 minutes he received. He had 11 points and five rebounds while making three 3-pointers.

"Those two weeks I was out (with an abdominal contusion) was really frustrating in that you can't even get out there and do contact," Horry said. "We've got three games left, so I have to get some kind of rhythm."

Tony Parker started, but picked up two fouls in the first two minutes. With Jacque Vaughn (eight points, three assists) capably running the offense, Popovich decided to sit Parker for the rest of the night.

"I feel great with Jacque on the floor," Popovich said. "He gives us toughness, leadership. He's worked like crazy on his shot.

"He knows what we're doing and understands the system. He's a fine player for us."

The same could be said of Ginobili. After Finley, Bruce Bowen and Horry made consecutive 3-pointers on the Spurs' first three possessions of the second half, Ginobili helped put away the game, throwing in a short runner, burying a 22-foot fadeaway jumper, driving for two free throws and knocking down a 3-pointer.

Along the way, Ginobili was decked by Blount — which brought Popovich running out of his seat — and clawed by Trenton Hassell.

Said Ginobili: "I guess his nails weren't very well, how you say, polished?"

Ginobili didn't seem to mind the contact. He has struggled with his shot the past couple weeks and wants to be on the court as much as possible before the playoffs to regain some of his rhythm.

"I think I still need to get more minutes and try to get more confident," Ginobili said. "My shot was falling, so I was feeling pretty good. But I understand Pop's position. That's why I didn't say anything.

"When you don't need anymore (scoring) like today, it was smart. But you can't always be worrying about getting hurt. You just have to play."

baseline bum
04-14-2007, 12:04 AM
The Spurs really need to win out. The #2 seed is still possible, as Phoenix has a road game on the second night of a back to back in Utah tomorrow, and another road game in Houston. They close with the Clippers, who will most likely have their playoff hopes depending on that single game. Meanwhile, I don't expect a lot out of Denver in their final game of the season, when they're locked into the 6 seed and not wanting to show their hand to the guys they'll be playing four days later.

v2freak
04-14-2007, 12:17 AM
I didn't see the game. What happened to Ginobili exactly?

milkyway21
04-14-2007, 12:27 AM
Said Ginobili: "I guess his nails weren't very well, how you say, polished?"

:lol

milkyway21
04-14-2007, 12:33 AM
why are the Spurs would still want to be #2? there's PhilJackson and Kobe waiting to face them there. Okay they might lose Kwame but Lakers is still a dangerous team compared to Denver, IMO irregardless of how they're playing lately.

I'm happy to be @ #3 even if it would mean i'd lose $300 bucks:D

boutons_
04-14-2007, 12:40 AM
"why are the Spurs would still want to be #2?"

to have HCA vs Suns

"PhilJackson and Kobe"

The Lakers suck, Spurs would take them 4-0 or 4-1

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-14-2007, 12:46 AM
"I think I still need to get more minutes and try to get more confident," Ginobili said. "My shot was falling, so I was feeling pretty good. But I understand Pop's position. That's why I didn't say anything.

"When you don't need anymore (scoring) like today, it was smart. But you can't always be worrying about getting hurt. You just have to play."

:tu

good to hear Manu have this attitude. With this mentality, looks like the Spurs are ready for some Manu magic.

Horry For 3!
04-14-2007, 12:50 AM
Trenton Hassell is a lady :lol. Dude needs to cut his nails.

milkyway21
04-14-2007, 12:55 AM
"why are the Spurs would still want to be #2?"

to have HCA vs Suns

"PhilJackson and Kobe"

The Lakers suck, Spurs would take them 4-0 or 4-1

the Spurs won 4-1 over Suns w/o HCA in 2005. You think the Suns team is better this yr than in the playoffs they last met? They were the #1 seed that time then.
Or am I the only one who's okay with the Suns having the HCA over the Spurs? It didn't matter to me as long as we don't meet(yet), the Mavs in the 2nd round and we'll take Denver in the 1st.
I don't know i really am not quite good on this, I must admit :D

thekingrobert
04-14-2007, 12:55 AM
nuggets are better than the lakers and im not referring to this pathetic winning streak they are on either

baseline bum
04-14-2007, 01:02 AM
On the flipside, do you think this Spurs team is as good as the 2005 team that won a title?

I think this Suns team is definitely better than the 2005 team, as the 2005 Suns had no depth whatsoever. Big difference between having Leandro Barbosa and Boris Diaw off that bench vs Jim Jackson.

Voice of Truth
04-14-2007, 01:10 AM
No Garnett= meaningless game!

gtownspur
04-14-2007, 01:15 AM
No Garnett= meaningless game!

Hardly a Voice = Hardly any Truth.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-14-2007, 01:19 AM
On the flipside, do you think this Spurs team is as good as the 2005 team that won a title?

I think this Suns team is definitely better than the 2005 team, as the 2005 Suns had no depth whatsoever. Big difference between having Leandro Barbosa and Boris Diaw off that bench vs Jim Jackson.

No, not even close.

I mean, the most important thing about 2005 was that manu was at his peak and that robert horry still had a lot to offer. i think 2007 team is inferior to the 2006 team let alone 2005.

Having said all this, it'll be easier to judge once the playoffs start because the biggest reason I think 2005 was better was obviously because of their playoff performance and how well everyone stepped up.

milkyway21
04-14-2007, 01:19 AM

I think this Suns team is definitely better than the 2005 team, as the 2005 Suns had no depth whatsoever. Big difference between having Leandro Barbosa and Boris Diaw off that bench vs Jim Jackson.i agree with you Barbosa, Diaw & that Raja Bell who they added just to harrass Manu. Maybe I'm just more confident of the Spurs to win against them because Duncan is healthy
this time of yr unlike in 2005 when it's almost the playoffs there was a lot od tension because Duncan was not even 100% and just missed a lot of games due to injury he suffered in Detroit.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-14-2007, 01:20 AM
if the suns have this much of a hard time against the lakers (yes they won, but the lakers fought pretty hard despite kobe turning up a stinker) i think they'll get waxed when they play us.

DNS Error
04-14-2007, 01:46 AM
How many ping pong balls would 19 wins getcha...

Was it only last season we were there in that mysterious land known as the playoffs....

mattyc
04-14-2007, 01:58 AM
Vaughn is going to be extremely important in the playoffs.

phyzik
04-14-2007, 02:08 AM
Double-teamed frequently, Tim Duncan finished with 12 points and 10 rebounds before Popovich pulled him a little more than three minutes into the second half.

granted, it was against the tanking Timberwolves but even so, that stat right there is amazing. Makes me glad Im a Spurs fan and Duncan is a Spur because I would DEFINITELY hate to have my team go against the shit he is putting up recently.... and its still the regular season.... historically TD is second only to Big Shot as far as stepping it up in the playoffs stat-wise.

If he continues that trend come this years playoffs I cannot even imagine what he is capable of.

milkyway21
04-14-2007, 02:11 AM
our 3-pters(Horry, Bonner, Manu, Brent & Finley), are ready for the playoffs to begin!!!!!!!!

nice stats last night from Bonner-18 pts. i just want to know if what he's really capable of "defensively"

wildbill2u
04-14-2007, 09:55 AM
Although the Spurs, Pop and Manu have made light of these scratches, if they are deep enough they can easily get infected and/or bother a player when he gets that little twinge of pain during his shooting motion. Not enough to keep you out of the lineup but maybe putting you just a hair off your game.

Manu's a tough competitor and a pro who'll continue to compete and play with pain, but you hate to see these little nagging injuries going into the playoffs.

TheTruth
04-14-2007, 10:05 AM
No, not even close.

I mean, the most important thing about 2005 was that manu was at his peak and that robert horry still had a lot to offer. i think 2007 team is inferior to the 2006 team let alone 2005.

Having said all this, it'll be easier to judge once the playoffs start because the biggest reason I think 2005 was better was obviously because of their playoff performance and how well everyone stepped up.
If you really think last years team with an injured Timmy, a broke down NVE as backup point, and Finley playing like shit is better than this team you need to watch more games.

ducks
04-14-2007, 10:58 AM
Vaughn is going to be extremely important in the playoffs.
not any more then finley

tp has improved alot
he does not need a backup point guard to bail him out

T Park
04-14-2007, 12:03 PM
No, not even close.

watch the tapes of the season over again.

Finley is playing light years better than last year.

Barry is actually growing a pair, playing SOME D, and shooting the ball.

Horry proved last night hes still got stuff left.

Bonner >>>>>> Nesterovic

Vaughn>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NVE

Come on.

05?

The only differences I see right now, would be Elson not matching what Mohammed brought SOME nights.

Other than that, Ginobili can still play at the 05 level.

Finley >>> injured Devin brown

Barry 07 >>>> Barry 05

Vaughn >>>>>> Udrih

Oberto >>>>>>>>> Massenburgh

So while your down on this team, for some uknown reason.

this team has characteristics to the 05 team. Some ways they aren't as good, some ways they are.

But this team is way better than last years, thats an undisputed fact.

whottt
04-14-2007, 01:46 PM
IMO this team is better than the 05 title team...at least in terms of potential, and on paper.

#1. Manu, Parker and Barry are actually having better seasons than they had that year.
#2. Duncan is healthier.
#3. Finley>Devin
#4. Vaugn > Beno

And I like Franberto better than Raszr.

The 05 title team basically had a 2 man bench...Barry and Horry. This one seems to have a lot of bench players that can and will contribute...and it's still got Horry and Barry.

This team has those same two, plus the Big3 are either better or healthier.

07 Bench > 05 Bench

and

07 Starters/Superstars > 05

To me it's a no brainer than this team is better on paper, and in terms of depth and experience.

But that doesn't mean it's got title chemistry...it also plays too much freaking small ball.

Plus the Mavs are definitely better now, probably the Suns as well.

whottt
04-14-2007, 01:48 PM
I still haven't seen the big win that marks this team as a champion like I did the 99,03 and 05 teams....I guess maybe the Detroit game...but I'd have preferred something with the Mavs instead.

The years the Spurs become champions they have a habit of winning the big games consistently during the regular season...and this team just hasn't done it to the degree that those teams did.

Still...there's plenty of big games coming up in the playoffs for them to win.

I personally am just not as sold on this team, even though on paper it's better...I guess because in reality, they play a lot of small ball. And it sucks. And they aren't going to win jackshit if that is their goto lineup.

timvp
04-14-2007, 01:56 PM
I still haven't seen the big win that marks this team as a champion like I did the 99,03 and 05 teams....I guess maybe the Detroit game...but I'd have preferred something with the Mavs instead.

The years the Spurs become champions they have a habit of winning the big games consistently during the regular season...and this team just hasn't done it to the degree that those teams did.

True. I also would have liked to have seen more statement games down the stretch.

However, to their credit, the Spurs haven't lost a game to a +.500 team since February 1st. That's 10 weeks now. The schedule just didn't give them many statement games during the SPAM time.

whottt
04-14-2007, 02:00 PM
Good point TimVP...we'll be out of the woods once we make it to the post season and don't have to face the Bobcats, Bucks and Celtics any more.

One other difference that you just pointed out...this team has lost to more crap teams than any team of the championship era...

I'm happy we are beating the 500% teams...I'm not happy we're losing to some awful teams in situations we haven't lost in, in decades.

I just don't know what to tmake of that...especially since many of those losses were self inflicted and I don't think the decision makers realize they were self inflicted.

T Park
04-14-2007, 02:02 PM
As Timvp points out, look at the sched down the stretch and see if theres anyone worth a crap?

What about the Suns game? That wasn't a statement game shutting down the best offense in basketball?

whottt
04-14-2007, 02:10 PM
Yeah...the Suns could be a statement game...except for the fact that they are our bitch.

The Suns haven't really challenged us at any point...we just matchup well with them...I guess that is why that win didn't really seem to be the big one(s).

Like...I had a strong feeling the 05 team was going to win after Devin Brown got injured and I knew Barry would be getting his minutes...

Just kidding...well no I'm not, but that's not the point I actually want to make...

I knew they'd probably win after the back to back double ot wins....

T Park
04-14-2007, 02:18 PM
Well this year is really different in the fact they are prepared, they just had such a bad january and february they lost all that ground to Dallas.

aaronstampler
04-14-2007, 03:16 PM
I'm encouraged by the fact that they have the same record vs. the West as Dallas. The Mavs have just done a better job of not losing focus against crappy Eastern conference teams, that's all.

Charlotte, Boston, @Indiana, @Orlando, Milwaukee twice... it's a morbid list.

aaronstampler
04-14-2007, 03:24 PM
As for big wins, I don't know, those are subjective. We beat up the Suns, who were at full strength, pretty good despite not having Brent or Robert and playing only a "C" game offensively.

At one point when you added up our record against Dal, Phx, Uta, Hou, LAL, Det and Mia, we were 6-10. Now we're 11-10, beating Detroit twice, Uta, Phx, and @Hou.

We've had a couple of nice comeback wins at Houston and at Portland that I enjoyed as well.

Really, I thought the game of the year was at the Lakers that one Sunday when Fin hit the three to win it. We had nothing going that night offensively but refused to quit and played gritty as hell on defense. It was the ugliest win imaginable but the archetype example of Spurs Basketball. It kind of started LA on their tailspin as well.

In a way I think a true indication about our level is our two recent games with the Warriors. Ever since they got S-Jax and Harrington, they've either beaten everyone or been extremely competitive. They're a desperate team, fighting their guts out.

We beat the holy hell out of them in their building and toyed with them in ours. That's a good sign.

Samr
04-14-2007, 03:26 PM
Still...there's plenty of big games coming up in the playoffs for them to win.

A sweep of Phoenix might have a very redeeming effect.

Then Mavs get all mad that the sweep has one-upped their amazing regular season record, decide they need to reassert their dominance, and blow their load in game 1 against the Spurs. Over in 5.

Or...whatever. As long as the Spurs win, I'm happy.

whottt
04-14-2007, 03:30 PM
As for big wins, I don't know, those are subjective. We beat up the Suns, who were at full strength, pretty good despite not having Brent or Robert and playing only a "C" game offensively.

They are subjective...sorta, I just trust my bias on that subject.

Simple math really...

Mavs - beat us last season in playoffs, eliminated if you prefer...
Suns - did not, eliminated by Mavs

Therefore:

Late season win over Mavs>Late season win over Suns

Subjectivity at it's finest....

Moreover...the Suns didn't even come close to beating us last time we faced them in the playoffs...

A late season victory over the Heat would have been nice as well...

aaronstampler
04-14-2007, 03:34 PM
If the Jazz can somehow beat Phx tonight, then I think we'll treat Sunday like a big game. Whether Dallas does or not is up to them.

TMTTRIO
04-14-2007, 04:17 PM

I've thought this for a while now. Enough with the limited minutes I think it's time to start giving him a lot of minutes now since we're very close to the playoffs. Let's just hope he gets into some kind of rhythm now before the playoffs.

exstatic
04-14-2007, 04:39 PM
I've thought this for a while now. Enough with the limited minutes I think it's time to start giving him a lot of minutes now since we're very close to the playoffs. Let's just hope he gets into some kind of rhythm now before the playoffs.
Pop has to protect Manu from himself over the long haul of 82 games. He's actually playing right around his career minutes mark. 27.5 this year, 27.1 career. His minutes always ramp up in the playoffs, but he still never plays heavy minutes. His career playoff mark is 30.5 mpg.

T Park
04-14-2007, 04:51 PM
plays the last 7 minuts of the 4th.

The last 6 of the first, the first 4 of the second.

Last 6 of the 3rd, first 3 of the 4th then the final 7

aaronstampler
04-14-2007, 05:48 PM
plays the last 7 minuts of the 4th.

The last 6 of the first, the first 4 of the second.

Last 6 of the 3rd, first 3 of the 4th then the final 7

You've got him playing only 26 minutes, including just 10 in the first half. Is he really supposed to sit out the last 8 mins of the 2nd quarter?

His playoff rotation goes like this..

Last 7 of the first
First 3 of the 2nd, rest for four, then the last 5 of the 2nd.

Last 8 of the 3rd
First 2 of the 4th, rest for three, the last 7 of the 4th.

15 first half minutes, 17 second half, 32 total.

T Park
04-14-2007, 05:52 PM
we shall see.

aaronstampler
04-14-2007, 05:54 PM
Why would Pop all of a sudden sit him the last 8 minutes of the first half? That makes no sense.

ArgSpursFan
04-14-2007, 05:55 PM
Pop has to protect Manu from himself over the long haul of 82 games. He's actually playing right around his career minutes mark. 27.5 this year, 27.1 career. His minutes always ramp up in the playoffs, but he still never plays heavy minutes. His career playoff mark is 30.5 mpg.

I predict for the way manu is shooting from downtown(carrer high this season) and his all around game this year,that He΄ll be around the 35 mpg in the playoffs.Pop needs him more tham ever this year.

whottt
04-14-2007, 07:11 PM
:lol this sentence almost makes up for your long and distinguished career as a conservative narc

evne us conservatives have our moments.

whottt
04-16-2007, 01:22 AM

Winning without Duncan would have been just the sort of thing I was talking about...

It's pretty late in the season but it would have been nice.

Frankly...I see nothing to indicate anything has changed since the last time we faced the Mavs in the playoffs...Pop still wants a frontline of aging 2 guards, half of whom can't pass, score or hit throws, and half of whom can't defend, and Duncan....