04-14-2007, 12:17 AM
Lakers (40-40)

Remaining Games: vs Seattle, at Sacramento
vs LAC: 2-2
vs GS: 4-0
Division Record: 9-6
Conference Record: 26-24

Clippers (39-40)

Remaining Games: vs Sacramento, at Phoenix, vs NOK (BtB)
vs LAL: 2-2
vs GS: 2-2
Division Record: 7-7
Conference Record: 22-27

Warriors (39-40)

Remaining Games: Minnesota, Dallas, at Portland (BtB)
vs LAL: 0-4
Division Record: 6-10
Conference Record: 25-24

If you're a Mavs fan, you root for the Lakers and Warriors to lose as often as possible and for the Clippers to continue to win as often as possible.

In addition, we need the Suns to win at Utah and at Houston so they clinch the #2 seed and have nothing to play for against the Clippers. Mavericks have a golden opportunity to severely hamper Golden State's playoff chances with the next to last game of the season. It will be interesting if Avery tries to win that game or if he continues to rest his main guys.

* When it's between teams from the same division, the second tiebreaker is divisional record, not conference record.

01Snake
04-14-2007, 12:19 AM
Gonna be a VERY interesting week.

Findog
04-14-2007, 12:19 AM
Interestingly enough, the Warriors now seem to have the toughest road in. Clippers and Lakers still control their fate. Can't believe I'm saying this, but GO SUNS!

Findog
04-14-2007, 12:22 AM
Basically, if the Lakers and Clippers win out, they're in. Warriors need help.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-14-2007, 12:24 AM
are you mavs fans really *that* afraid of Warriors making the playoffs?

01Snake
Basically, if the Lakers and Clippers win out, they're in. Warriors need help.

I don't think the Clips or Lakers will win out. The Clips might but only of PHX rests it's starters when they play since its the Suns last game.

ponky
Interestingly enough, the Warriors now seem to have the toughest road in. Clippers and Lakers still control their fate. Can't believe I'm saying this, but GO SUNS!

LOL, I hadn't analyzed it from that Suns seed perspective as it might affect the Clippers. Although, D'Antoni is such a freak he may just make his guys play all out until the very end, do or die! I wonder if he rested them back in 2004? Anyway, at this point, I'm not too concerned about any matchup, Clippers, Warriors, Lakers. Doesn't matter who we face, we have to win and get it done and there will be tougher opponents down the road.

01Snake
04-14-2007, 12:25 AM
Do you think Dallas will play a full squad to try and beat GS?

01Snake
04-14-2007, 12:26 AM
Of the 3, I'd say GS is showing they are the hungriest. The Fakers should just bow out now.

Findog
04-14-2007, 12:27 AM

Yes. Since the Jax-Harrington trade, they're 16-3 when everybody is healthy. They've beaten us, Phoenix, the Pistons in Detroit. Richardson, Elllis and Davis ar just as quick as our guards and Rich and Davis have a size advantage as well. It's hard to win when your backcourt is inferior. I think Dallas would ultimately prevail, but the path back to the Finals is easier when you don't get taxed too heavily in the earlier rounds.

ponky
04-14-2007, 12:28 AM

i can't speak for others but i'm not...i think it would be a lot of fun and some hard fought games and i don't necessarily think some of the other matchups in the west will be a walk in the park for the first round. that's not to say that i want the warriors, the clippers would probably give the mavs more rest but i'm looking forward to either matchup and it would be fun to put the smackdown on nellie's team because i've always thought he was too complacent and lazy as a mavs coach the last couple of years

oh, i guess i should add, the warriors as a healthy unit, are a very fun and talented team to watch so it's not like i'm dissing them by saying that i think we'll get it done in 6 against them, i just don't think some of the past losses are indicative of our best balling, with guys out and with a game loss at the beg. of the season

Findog
04-14-2007, 12:28 AM

I think that depends on whether or not Avery is concerned about playing a team that has beaten us four straight and wants to hurt their chances or if the Warriors are even still alive when that game is played.

Findog
04-14-2007, 12:30 AM
LOL, I hadn't analyzed it from that Suns seed perspective as it might affect the Clippers. Although, D'Antoni is such a freak he may just make his guys play all out until the very end, do or die! I wonder if he rested them back in 2004? Anyway, at this point, I'm not too concerned about any matchup, Clippers, Warriors, Lakers. Doesn't matter who we face, we have to win and get it done and there will be tougher opponents down the road.

Well, a Spurs loss would also help the cause of helping the Suns clinch.

01Snake
04-14-2007, 12:31 AM
I'd rather see GS/DAL as well. Would be a very entertaining series. Clips and Lakers would likely get swept by DAL and possibly PHX.

Findog
04-14-2007, 12:32 AM
Dallas and Denver are the only two teams locked in...Nuggets can't catch up to #5 and they can't drop to #7. SAS/PHX still battling for #2 and Hou/Utah still battling for homecourt in the first round.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-14-2007, 12:33 AM
i can't speak for others but i'm not...i think it would be a lot of fun and some hard fought games and i don't necessarily think some of the other matchups in the west will be a walk in the park for the first round. that's not to say that i want the warriors, the clippers would probably give the mavs more rest but i'm looking forward to either matchup and it would be fun to put the smackdown on nellie's team because i've always thought he was too complacent and lazy as a mavs coach the last couple of years

oh, i guess i should add, the warriors as a healthy unit, are a very fun and talented team to watch so it's not like i'm dissing them by saying that i think we'll get it done in 6 against them, i just don't think some of the past losses are indicative of our best balling, with guys out and with a game loss at the beg. of the season
That's what I was thinking. I'm sure you guys would find a way to win since Avery can outcoach Nellie I'm thinking with defense.

I think it'd be a good first round for your guys' squad to warm up against. Clippers would be a drag if they were 8th.

Findog
04-14-2007, 12:34 AM
Golden State would be a nice tuneup if we meet Phoenix in the conference finals, but why even play with fire? It's not inconceivable that GS could get hot and beat Dallas.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-14-2007, 12:34 AM
Yes. Since the Jax-Harrington trade, they're 16-3 when everybody is healthy. They've beaten us, Phoenix, the Pistons in Detroit. Richardson, Elllis and Davis ar just as quick as our guards and Rich and Davis have a size advantage as well. It's hard to win when your backcourt is inferior. I think Dallas would ultimately prevail, but the path back to the Finals is easier when you don't get taxed too heavily in the earlier rounds.
I guess when you're thinkin in terms of upping your chances it makes sense.

I'd like to see real dogfights though all the way through, but you guys definitely earned the top seed.

you'd probably wouldn't want to repeat what the Spurs drew when they were top seed. The Bonzi-Artest tandemed Kings :lol

01Snake
04-14-2007, 12:35 AM
Hou/Utah still battling for homecourt in the first round.

And THAT is what makes the PHX/SA race so fun. The Rockets and Jazz are going to bring it against the Suns the next two games. Should be entertaining.

Findog
04-14-2007, 12:36 AM
I guess when you're thinkin in terms of upping your chances it makes sense.

I'd like to see real dogfights though all the way through, but you guys definitely earned the top seed.

you'd probably wouldn't want to repeat what the Spurs drew when they were top seed. The Bonzi-Artest tandemed Kings :lol

That's exactly my thinking....for a series that was decided by basically an inch, I think it hurt the Spurs that the Kings made them sweat while the Grizz laid down for Dallas.

01Snake
04-14-2007, 12:38 AM

Thats kinda how I feel about getting the McNuggets this year. We drew the surging team just like last year.

ponky
04-14-2007, 12:38 AM
meh, all i really care about in the end is my money's worth...a spurs/mavs series in the wcf, that was an awesomely entertaining series for fans of both teams and nba fans in general because each game was back and forth. sure i want to win the whole thing but for me at least, it's series like the jazz/mavs (we had to climb back in that piddly first round series long ago, heh), rockets/mavs and spurs/mavs that keep me a fan, only one of thirty can win each year

Findog
04-14-2007, 03:07 AM
Although, D'Antoni is such a freak he may just make his guys play all out until the very end, do or die! I wonder if he rested them back in 2004?

I went and looked it up. They didn't clinch HCA until the next to last game...Last game of the year he sat Nash and they didnt really try. They got blown out by a Kings team that had traded Webber in-season.

mabber
04-14-2007, 10:07 AM

On Thursday, Avery said that they would rest players in the game @ GState on Tuesday night and play everyone (playoff minutes/rotations) in the final game @ Seattle. He had not decided how he was going to play the Spurs game at that time but said everyone would probably play (just didn't know about the minutes).

01Snake
04-14-2007, 10:24 AM
Here is my guess..err..prediction for the rest of the season:

Spurs and Warriors win out.

The Suns lose tonight at Utah but win the remainder of their games.

The Lakers will get knocked out of playoffs by Kings in the season finale at Sacramento.

The Clips will lose their last road game at Phoenix due to the Suns having to win in order to stay ahead of the Spurs.

How does that sound?

ThomasGranger
04-14-2007, 10:33 AM
Here is my guess..err..prediction for the rest of the season:

Spurs and Warriors win out.

The Suns lose tonight at Utah but win the remainder of their games.

The Lakers will get knocked out of playoffs by Kings in the season finale at Sacramento.

The Clips will lose their last road game at Phoenix due to the Suns having to win in order to stay ahead of the Spurs.

How does that sound?

I don't see the Jazz beating the Suns, mostly b/c the Jazz have already secured their playoff spot. How that affects the rest, I'm not sure.

mabber
04-14-2007, 10:35 AM
I don't see the Jazz beating the Suns, mostly b/c the Jazz have already secured their playoff spot. How that affects the rest, I'm not sure.

I believe the Jazz are fighting for HCA in the 1st round still.

01Snake
04-14-2007, 10:38 AM
I believe the Jazz are fighting for HCA in the 1st round still.

Yep. Close race

Utah 49-30
Houston 50-29

mavs>spurs2
04-14-2007, 10:43 AM

No I actually want Golden State. I've been hoping they'd make the playoffs all year.

ThomasGranger
04-14-2007, 10:50 AM
Don't the Jazz hold on to the fourth spot automatically due to the fact that they won their division?

01Snake
04-14-2007, 10:54 AM
Don't the Jazz hold on to the fourth spot automatically due to the fact that they won their division?

If Houston has a better record, I *think* they get the 4th seed. I could be wrong though. Anyone know for sure?

ThomasGranger
04-14-2007, 11:02 AM
Right now Houston does have a slightly better record, but ESPN has them behind Utah:

4 y-Utah 49 - 30 .620
5 x-Houston 50 - 29 .633

x- Clinched playoff berth.
y- Clinched division title.

01Snake
04-14-2007, 11:40 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/matchups

Current Playoff Matchups

These potential first-round playoff matchups are based on the current NBA standings.

The three division winners and the second-place team with the best record compete for the top four seeds in a conference, based on win-loss record and tiebreakers (see tiebreakers below).

The next four teams in the conference standings are seeded No. 5 to No. 8.

Home-court advantage in all playoff series is determined by win-loss record, not seeding.

ThomasGranger
04-14-2007, 11:47 AM
[url]

Home-court advantage in all playoff series is determined by win-loss record, not seeding.

Excellent. In that case, your prediction looks pretty solid, especially since it looks like the Suns will be playing three teams that still have something at stake. Thanks for the clarification.

01Snake
04-14-2007, 11:49 AM
Excellent. In that case, your prediction looks pretty solid, especially since it looks like the Suns will be playing three teams that still have something at stake. Thanks for the clarification.

I didn't really know for sure either. :D

Findog
04-14-2007, 01:02 PM

I think the Suns will probably have clinched the #2 seed when they play the Clippers, I hope anyway. Utah will be tough for them tonite but they have owned Houston.

Infamous
04-14-2007, 02:41 PM
No idea if anyone has called it yet but..

If the Warriors make the playoffs, I'm calling them to upset the mavs.

Warriors have their number, and Don Nelson knows that team like the back of his hand. If there's anyone that can upset the Mavs, it's the Warriors.

dallaskd
04-14-2007, 10:03 PM
New Orleans is out. It looks like Orlando has the 8th seed in the east too.

dallaskd
04-14-2007, 10:04 PM
The Al Harrington trade completely changed the direction of both teams. Im not sure why Indiana did it. Without artest and harrington they basicly have no defense aside from jermaine oneal.

Nashfan
04-14-2007, 10:52 PM
Lakers (40-40)

Remaining Games: vs Seattle, at Sacramento
vs GS: 4-0
Division Record: 9-6
Conference Record: 26-24

Clippers (39-40)

Remaining Games: vs Sacramento, at Phoenix, vs NOK (BtB)
vs LAL: 2-2
vs GS: 2-2
Division Record: 7-7
Conference Record: 22-27

Warriors (39-40)

Remaining Games: Minnesota, Dallas, at Portland (BtB)
vs LAL: 0-4
Division Record: 6-10
Conference Record: 25-24

If you're a Mavs fan, you root for the Lakers and Warriors to lose as often as possible and for the Clippers to continue to win as often as possible.

In addition, we need the Suns to win at Utah and at Houston so they clinch the #2 seed and have nothing to play for against the Clippers. Mavericks have a golden opportunity to severely hamper Golden State's playoff chances with the next to last game of the season. It will be interesting if Avery tries to win that game or if he continues to rest his main guys.

* When it's between teams from the same division, the second tiebreaker is divisional record, not conference record.

Don't you want to play against the Warriors or Lakers?

Findog
04-14-2007, 11:08 PM
Lakers or Clippers, fine. The Warriors would be a series, and it's not inconceivable they could win.

Nashfan
04-14-2007, 11:14 PM
Lakers or Clippers, fine. The Warriors would be a series, and it's not inconceivable they could win.

Do you really, truly believe this? :wtf

Findog
04-14-2007, 11:18 PM
Yes. When a team beats you four straight times, that's not a fluke. Davis, Ellis and Richardson > Terry, Harris and Buckner. They're just as quick as our guards and they're bigger too. Mavs would have to dominate the boards and slow the game down. I'm pretty sure we'd beat GS in 6, but if a guy or two gets hot, all bets are off. See Wade against us in the Finals last year, Dirk vs the Spurs last year, Kobe first 6 games against Phoenix.

monosylab1k
04-14-2007, 11:19 PM
I hate to admit it only because of SpursDynasty....but I also fear Golden State. Just a little bit.

Nashfan
04-14-2007, 11:20 PM
Yes. When a team beats you four straight times, that's not a fluke. Davis, Ellis and Richardson > Terry, Harris and Buckner. They're just as quick as our guards and they're bigger too. Mavs would have to dominate the boards and slow the game down. I'm pretty sure we'd beat GS in 6, but if a guy or two gets hot, all bets are off. See Wade against us in the Finals last year, Dirk vs the Spurs last year, Kobe first 6 games against Phoenix.

I still think the Mavs are the superior team though :)

Findog
04-14-2007, 11:28 PM
I still think the Mavs are the superior team though :)

Mavs > Heat, but Wade played great, even by his standards. He got hot and that was the difference in 3 games decided by a total of 6 points...that and the refs called the games so tight in a way that benefited Miami.

mavsfan1000
04-14-2007, 11:48 PM
No idea if anyone has called it yet but..

If the Warriors make the playoffs, I'm calling them to upset the mavs.

Warriors have their number, and Don Nelson knows that team like the back of his hand. If there's anyone that can upset the Mavs, it's the Warriors.
Well you'll be wrong but you can believe anything you want. :toast

NorCal510
04-15-2007, 12:14 PM
pussies!!!

dallaskd
04-15-2007, 02:36 PM
The Lakers have the easiest road. Id love it to be Warriors at 7 and Clippers at 8. Im thinking it will be Lakers 7 and Warriors 8.

dallaskd
04-15-2007, 04:06 PM
Clips are getting pounded by Sac Town. Warriors are beating up on the T-Wolves. The Lakers game will be very intresting tonight.

dallaskd
04-15-2007, 04:41 PM
GS: 112
MINN: 84

they were up 106-64 :lol

dallaskd
04-15-2007, 04:44 PM
clips coming back..only down 9 with 5 minutes left.

01Snake
04-15-2007, 05:15 PM
GS is playing with a vengeance! Gonna be dangerous if they slip into the playoffs.

dallaskd
04-15-2007, 05:26 PM
clips only lost by 5! what a comeback! I agree wit you snake. I hope Pheonix gets the warriors. i do not want to play them. my first pick is the clips but ill take the lakers too i suppose.

ThomasGranger
04-15-2007, 05:59 PM
clips only lost by 5! what a comeback! I agree wit you snake. I hope Pheonix gets the warriors. i do not want to play them. my first pick is the clips but ill take the lakers too i suppose.

The only way the Warriors will take that seventh seed is if the Mavs give it to them by losing to the Warriors on Tuesday, which could bump the Lakers down to the eight spot (but only if the Lakers lose, of course). That would be a dream matchup for the Mavs, probably a sweep or 4-1 series at the most.

On the other hand, a Mavs loss to the Warriors would basically ensure the Warriors a spot in the playoffs, most likely at the eighth seed.

I'm thinking the Mavs go all out for the W against the Warriors and hope the Clippers beat the Suns, but at this point it's looking like the Warriors will get that eighth seed.

Dirk Nowitzki
04-15-2007, 06:18 PM
I will hurt Avery is he tries to play the Warriors game like it's a must win. :madrun We play who we play it is that simple! We shouldnt even worried about who we face because we are going to win round 1 regardless. The road to the finals is going to be tough no matter how you splice and dice it.

JeremyWariner
04-15-2007, 06:41 PM
I will hurt Avery is he tries to play the Warriors game like it's a must win. :madrun We play who we play it is that simple! We shouldnt even worried about who we face because we are going to win round 1 regardless. The road to the finals is going to be tough no matter how you splice and dice it.

You know you're 1-5 against the Warriors the past two years and they have scored a shitload of points in each of their last 5 or so games.

monosylab1k
04-15-2007, 06:55 PM
Does anybody else think that this theory holds water?

That the Lakers have been tanking for the 7 seed? A matchup against the Suns is alot more favorable for them than a matchup against the Spurs.

Now that the 7 seed is theirs, they gotta pull their heads out their asses so that GS doesn't take it from them. But I wouldn't be shocked if the Lakers have been tanking for the 7 seed all along.

Amarelooms
04-15-2007, 07:01 PM

Question is do the Mavs try to play for a win against GS? What happens if you do and still lose? THat's not gonna be good for confidence when you'll have to face that same team in 4-5 days. GS has been playing INSANE for the last 2 weeks...they are straight up beating the crap out of people. Not sure what is the right answer...

ThomasGranger
04-15-2007, 07:02 PM
Does anybody else think that this theory holds water?

That the Lakers have been tanking for the 7 seed? A matchup against the Suns is alot more favorable for them than a matchup against the Spurs.

Now that the 7 seed is theirs, they gotta pull their heads out their asses so that GS doesn't take it from them. But I wouldn't be shocked if the Lakers have been tanking for the 7 seed all along.

Interesting theory, but if so I'd say the Lakers got a little carried away with the tanking. It would have been safer to stay close to Denver and tank at the end of the season.

My suspicion is that Kobe has run out of gas and Odom is playing more hurt than he is letting on. Plus, there is only so much they can do when they are getting almost nothing from their centers.

Findog
04-15-2007, 07:37 PM
Question is do the Mavs try to play for a win against GS? What happens if you do and still lose? THat's not gonna be good for confidence when you'll have to face that same team in 4-5 days. GS has been playing INSANE for the last 2 weeks...they are straight up beating the crap out of people. Not sure what is the right answer...

For some perspective, they've been playing a bunch of lottery teams that are playing out the string, the blowout win over Utah notwithstanding.

Amarelooms
04-15-2007, 07:42 PM
For some perspective, they've been playing a bunch of lottery teams that are playing out the string, the blowout win over Utah notwithstanding.

They killed us and the Suns...what more do you want :elephant

trueD
04-15-2007, 08:02 PM
It's a good thing Warriors play Dallas before Portland.

Realistically, do you think the Warriors would rather play the Suns (1-3) or the Mavs (3-0)? Not much there to think about. Do you think the Mavs would rather play the Warriors first round, or the Lakers? If you say Lakers, then Mavs will have all their starters on the floor against Warriors.

If Lakers lose to Sonics tonight, Warriors MAY consider tanking against Mavs to keep the 8th seed, thinking they are a shuin to win against Portland. Remember, a win by Lakers or Warriors, or a loss by Clips (who still play Suns and N.O.) eliminates the Clips altogether. Which brings up another interesting prospect: Suns tanking against Clips, if they are not already eliminated and would rather play the Warriors--if Warriors are looking good for the #8 spot.

Lakers want to meet the Suns in the first round. Kobme can smell blood for last years 7th game, wherein he perpetuated the let-down of his team by fucking up even harder. And Bell owned him. Kobme didn't give that game his all, and they were THIS close, being in a Game 7. Oh yeah, The Kobme's want the Suns.

If Lakers CAN'T beat the Suns tonight and the Warriors DO beat Mavs on Tuesday, then Lakers will be desperate to beat Kings on Wednesday night to keep their PO date with the Suns. Good times.

Warriors have the hardest job of all: To stay in the PO hunt. Remember, their record is 7-1 last eight games, including wins against Suns, Rockets, Spurs & Jazz. The next two games for Warriors are theirs to win imo, and they are healthy.

The next two games for Lakers are going to be tough, but doable. They could use Kwame AT LEAST against Kings, what's the report...is he out for the year?

There will be nothing easy about the next two games for Clips (4-4 last eight), who are fighting for their playoff lives but could not get close against Kings' new benchmob. Without a healthy Cassell, I dunno. Plus Mobley was injured and had to come out of the game with about 3 minutes left in the 4th today...

ponky
04-15-2007, 08:17 PM
There is no way in hell that I want to even think about the Warriors beating the Mavs but it's unfortunate that it's not the Warriors/Suns matching up. Remember that ridiculous game they played like a month ago? I think every game they play would be that way in the playoffs...run, shoot, run, shoot, repeat. That was an insanely fun game to watch.

ThomasGranger
04-15-2007, 08:17 PM
If Lakers lose to Sonics tonight, Warriors MAY consider tanking against Mavs to keep the 8th seed, thinking they are a shuin to win against Portland. Remember, a win by Lakers or Warriors, or a loss by Clips (who still play Suns and N.O.) eliminates the Clips altogether. Which brings up another interesting prospect: Suns tanking against Clips, if they are not already eliminated and would rather play the Warriors--if Warriors are looking good for the #8 spot.

No way the Warriors tank that Mavs game.

Phoenix might tank the game against the Clippers, especially if there is a good chance for the Warriors to move up to the #7 spot, but I doubt they will. In fact, I suspect the Suns would like to see the Mavs have to sweat it out in the first round, and helping the Warriors get that eight seed by beating the Clippers would pretty much guarantee the Warriors a playoff spot.

Lakers suck lately, but they will probably hold on to their seventh seed.

td4mvp21
04-15-2007, 09:07 PM
Warriors are 11-29 on the road. If they are going to win games against Dallas in a playoff matchup, it will be in San Francisco. Too bad that would leave them one win short of advancing to the next round.

trueD
04-15-2007, 11:14 PM
Lakers win against Sonics and secure a playoff berth.

7. Lakers, 41-40
8. Warriors, 40-40
9. Clippers, 39-41.

If Warriors win both of their remaining games (Mavs & Blazers), and Lakers lose to Kings on Wednesday night, Warriors will move into 7th.

If Lakers win against Kings they secure a 7th seed berth.

If Warriors win only one of their games and Lakers lose to Sacramento, nothing changes.

However, if Warriors lose both their games (Mavs & Blazers) and Clips win both of their remaining games (Suns & N.O.), Clips will sneak into the 8th seed berth.