PDA

View Full Version : Is it more important to have Bowen on Howard rather than Terry?

Amuseddaysleeper
04-14-2007, 06:16 PM
Assuming we leave a majority of the defense on Dirk in the hands of Elson (and yes, I cringed as much as you did) with Bowen probably not guarding Dirk till crunch time, is it more important to keep Bowen on Howard or Terry?

I actually think Terry is much more clutch than Howard (I believe Howard only averages 3 ppg in 4th quarters) and whie JHo is an excellent rebounder, I actually think at the end of the day, based on offense, Terry is our bigger threat, even if Howard is the more versatile player.

Anyways, would you guys rather keep Bowen on Howard or Terry if you had to pick between the two?

Amuseddaysleeper
04-14-2007, 06:17 PM
actually, I probably should've thrown Stackhouse into that mix as well

td4mvp21
04-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Howard-who else can guard him on the Spurs? Parker/Ginobili can guard Terry but neither can guard Howard. Howard is the fuel for the Mavs, if we want to win, we need to stop him and our best bet is Bowen.

exstatic
04-14-2007, 06:24 PM
Jason Terry is a streaky shooting, smallish SG. JoHo is an All Star SF. Do the math.

mavsfan1000
04-14-2007, 06:25 PM
Too bad Bowen can't guard Nowitzki, Howard, and Terry. lol

exstatic
04-14-2007, 06:26 PM
actually, I probably should've thrown Stackhouse into that mix as well
Chokehouse? No one needs to guard him in the 4th. He'll throw up a clunker, or drive for a dunk and get rimchecked.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-14-2007, 06:28 PM
Jason Terry is a streaky shooting, smallish SG. JoHo is an All Star SF. Do the math.

Terry hit several clutch shots in crunch time over Duncan in game 4 I think it was (the one that went to OT in Dallas). As a matter of fact, had terry played game 6, I don't think the Spurs would have ever seen a game 7. I think Howard means more to the team than Terry does, but if Bowen's job is to shut down an offensive threat, and he's not on Dirk, then it needs to be Terry.

Terry also is much better at driving to the basket and hitting the floater than people give him credit for

midgetonadonkey
04-14-2007, 06:42 PM
Beno is Pop's secret weapon against Terry. Terry will shoot 12% in the series with Beno on him. Bank on it.

SpursDynasty
04-14-2007, 06:44 PM
Spurs strategy should be: Stop everyone else, and let Dirk throw up all the jumpers he wants.

Not hard.

mavs>spurs2
04-14-2007, 06:51 PM
Spurs strategy should be: Stop everyone else, and let Dirk throw up all the jumpers he wants.

Not hard.

Why? So he can go off for 50 points like he did against Phoenix last year?

Extra Stout
04-14-2007, 07:42 PM
Beno is Pop's secret weapon against Terry. Terry will shoot 12% in the series with Beno on him. Bank on it.
Yes, when Terry does his patented ball-grab on Beno, Beno will wink and ask for his phone number. Terry won't be the same the rest of the series.

Shank
04-14-2007, 08:00 PM

Not hard.

Motherfucker, do you THINK before you write some of these things?

makedamnsure
04-14-2007, 08:05 PM
go on Howard. I trust TP and Manu on Terry.

gilmor
04-14-2007, 10:09 PM
Thread like this really sucks because the first round hasn't even been played.. eat your eggs after they had been laid..

LaMarcus Bryant
04-14-2007, 10:12 PM
Jason Terry is the most purely overrated scoring guard in the entire National Basketball Association, and he's pulling an aggie and playing on sheer 100% confidence.....he's playing the exact same way he has his entire career, yet all of a sudden, instead of a detriment-to-the-team scorer, he's a team player. BS. If we could shut Terry down brutally one game, it would make him take bad shots and play 1on1 ball the rest of the series. So maybe Bowen on Terry then back to Howard.

SpursDynasty
04-14-2007, 10:13 PM
Motherfucker, do you THINK before you write some of these things?

Yeah. Let Dirk go off for 50 while stopping the rest of the stoppable Mavericks team. Dirk is the toughest to guard. Everyone else, not so much if focus is off guarding Dirk.

It's like the Pistons in '04. Let Shaq do everything, but stop everyone else. They won.

dallaskd
04-14-2007, 10:14 PM

JoHo. :lol

SpursDynasty
04-14-2007, 10:15 PM
Why? So he can go off for 50 points like he did against Phoenix last year?

Dirk can't win games alone. So sure. Let him score all he wants. Worry about stopping everyone else.

johngateswhiteley
04-14-2007, 10:23 PM
they both suck ass, so i don't think it really matters.

midgetonadonkey
04-14-2007, 10:37 PM
I think it's stupid how people refer to Josh Howard as JHo.

johngateswhiteley
04-14-2007, 10:39 PM
I think it's stupid how people refer to Josh Howard as JHo.

me too. its an idiotic reference.

Leetonidas
04-14-2007, 10:41 PM
SpursDynasty actually has a point. Dirk should be their only threat in the series and the Spurs should shut the lane down and guard Terry and Howard with Bowen and Manu. Make Dirk shoot everything, like Amare in 2005 or like Kobe when he goes off for 50. A one man team can't win.

gospursgooo
04-14-2007, 10:45 PM

Not hard.

Dirk can actually score 100+ points in a game if you let him. :lol :lol :lol

AFBlue
04-14-2007, 10:46 PM
I think they'll start out with Bowen on Howard for sure, but Bowen switches matchups in-game all the time depending on who has the "hot hand". If Terry starts knocking down a ton of shots, Bowen will get his turn.

As far as pure matchups are concerned, I think Jason Terry is too quick for Bowen...so Howard would be the better matchup. Put Tony on Terry....

Leetonidas
04-14-2007, 10:50 PM
I think they'll start out with Bowen on Howard for sure, but Bowen switches matchups in-game all the time depending on who has the "hot hand". If Terry starts knocking down a ton of shots, Bowen will get his turn.

As far as pure matchups are concerned, I think Jason Terry is too quick for Bowen...so Howard would be the better matchup. Put Tony on Terry....
You think Terry is is too quick for Bowen? I think not...

I think Finley will be starting at SG in that series if Manu is on the bench so Finley will probably guard Terry and Parker will guard Harris (if he is starting, that is).

DubMcDub
04-14-2007, 11:30 PM
SpursDynasty actually has a point. Dirk should be their only threat in the series and the Spurs should shut the lane down and guard Terry and Howard with Bowen and Manu. Make Dirk shoot everything, like Amare in 2005 or like Kobe when he goes off for 50. A one man team can't win.

Dunno. Seems they tried this during the January 5th game and they still lost. At home.

wildbill2u
04-15-2007, 12:10 AM
Lots of guys are gonna have to play Dirk because Avery has got him posting up near the basket and driving more. This creates a lot of fouls on whoever guards him so we'll lose players to fouls, even if they only have to go to the bench for a while.

That being said, a lot of the time a player who shoots all the time in a game throws his team out of sync and they often don't win those games. I know Kobe put up some numbers on those games they won, but that isn't necesarily so.

Man of Steel
04-15-2007, 02:53 AM
Bowen on Dirk

Leetonidas
04-15-2007, 03:04 AM
Dunno. Seems they tried this during the January 5th game and they still lost. At home.
True. I personally think everyone will be on Dirk. Elson, Horry, Oberto, Bowen, Finley, and Timmy...I think they'll all guard him at some point.

DubMcDub
04-15-2007, 03:24 AM
True. I personally think everyone will be on Dirk. Elson, Horry, Oberto, Bowen, Finley, and Timmy...I think they'll all guard him at some point.

This is certainly the most likely scenario and, furthermore, the most effective one for the Spurs.

jaespur21
04-15-2007, 03:59 AM
This is certainly the most likely scenario and, furthermore, the most effective one for the Spurs.

Dirks only chance will be far from the hoop cuz if TIMMY is guarding dirk anywhere near the hoop the REFS will have 2 bail Dirk out

Kobulingam
04-15-2007, 04:22 AM
Dirks only chance will be far from the hoop cuz if TIMMY is guarding dirk anywhere near the hoop the REFS will have 2 bail Dirk out

they always do

Dalhoop
04-15-2007, 07:54 AM
Allowing Dirk to do what he wants will not work, because he will do what he wants. On teams like the Suns and Lakers the playbook starts the same way

"Pass the ball to the middle; When the double comes ..."

This in not how the Mavs book starts, we pass the ball to the middle and space the floor with shooters. If a team has a guy that can guard Dirk and stay out of foul trouble, then we do other things like drive and dish and pick and roll. The thing is, not many teams have someone that can stay out on Dirk and stay out of foul trouble.

Another problem with that reasoning is the FT shooting, Dirk makes his, Amare and Shaq are a combined 20% FT shooter (Not really, but you know what I mean), you can't just foul him if you get beat like you can with Shaq or Amare.

Finley should guard Terry, the bigger body may take some of the edge off of his long shot, be aware though that this may force the Mavs into drive and dish mode as Finley cannot stay with Terry

smrattler
04-15-2007, 08:18 AM
To start the game, yeah, Bowen needs to be on Howard. He needs to basically make him a non-factor scoringwise or at least a very inefficient scorer for the series (low FG%). And yeah, throw bigs at Dirk, he's gonna get his points anyway, but keep a big body on him and try to control the boards.

I'm more worried about the other lineups AJ will throw out there, with Howard, Stack and George (who is looking pretty sharp right now and is a big SF) out there. They could go really small with Harris, Terry, Howard, George and Dirk. What's our counter lineup? TD will have to be out there. Whoever he guards (George or Dirk) will take him away from the basket and that's already a positive for them since we have nobody else to protect the rim, they'll take it hard to the basket.

Dalhoop
04-15-2007, 08:40 AM
I'm more worried about the other lineups AJ will throw out there, with Howard, Stack and George (who is looking pretty sharp right now and is a big SF) out there. They could go really small with Harris, Terry, Howard, George and Dirk. What's our counter lineup? TD will have to be out there. Whoever he guards (George or Dirk) will take him away from the basket and that's already a positive for them since we have nobody else to protect the rim, they'll take it hard to the basket.

This is the MAIN problem when facing the Mavs, if you stop them one way, they change the line-up and MAKE YOU come out of the set-up that was working. In the above line-up Duncan and Dirk each will score at will, but George is a better rebounder then whoever the Spurs go with and he can guard Duncan (To the same extent that anyone else could, he often guards PF's in the Mavs system)

The flip side of that line-up, one that we have seen all year, Is the Dirk, Dampier, George, Howard and Terry .. The rebounding with that line-up could kill the Spurs.

td4mvp21
04-15-2007, 10:02 AM

I'm pretty sure that they got away from that in the second half. If I remember right, didn't Howard and Terry both have good second halfs?

picnroll
04-15-2007, 10:13 AM
but George is a better rebounder then whoever the Spurs go with and he can guard Duncan (To the same extent that anyone else could, he often guards PF's in the Mavs system)

Please let it happen.

mabber
04-15-2007, 10:37 AM
Assuming we leave a majority of the defense on Dirk in the hands of Elson (and yes, I cringed as much as you did) with Bowen probably not guarding Dirk till crunch time, is it more important to keep Bowen on Howard or Terry?

I actually think Terry is much more clutch than Howard (I believe Howard only averages 3 ppg in 4th quarters) and whie JHo is an excellent rebounder, I actually think at the end of the day, based on offense, Terry is our bigger threat, even if Howard is the more versatile player.

Anyways, would you guys rather keep Bowen on Howard or Terry if you had to pick between the two?

I think playing Bowen on Terry might be a decent option late in the game as the Mavs use the Dirk/Terry pic 'n roll 80% of the time in tight games. They don't usually call plays for Howard late in games.