PDA

View Full Version : Worst Spurs Rebounding Game...ever

spursfaninla
11-20-2004, 11:43 AM
Spurs came from behind, rallied in the 4th, and deserved the win. They showed they are clutch and don't give up.

With that said, how did they get out-rebounded by the Celtics so badly? Duncan didn't get even close to double digits rebounding, and neither did anyone else on the team.

Spurs are a decent but not great rebounding team at 8th in the league, but only 15th in differential (average), and boston is 18th in rebounding differential and 24th overall rebounding (bad).

At first I thought they just had physical guards and team rebounding, because they had alot of players with 4, 5, and 6 rebounds, but their post players rebounded around 10 or more too.

I came to the conclusion later that we just got punked by them in this category.

How did the rebounding get so out of hand?

RobinsontoDuncan
11-20-2004, 12:01 PM
Yeah, i'll be honest i havent been nearly as impressed with our defense as i have with the offensive improvments, i think we are a bit behind from where we were last year.

boutons
11-20-2004, 12:41 PM
"How did the rebounding get so out of hand?"

If you want rebounds, you can get rebounds, and height is not the dominant advantage.

The Spurs didn't want anything for 2.5 quarters last night. RBs stats show that.

Does anybody have a breakdown of SAN/BOS RBs by quarter?

spurster
11-20-2004, 01:18 PM
The box score shows 19 team rebounds for the Spurs vs. 6 for the Celtics, so there were a lot of rebounds that went our way (such as out of bounds off a Celtic), but couldn't be credited to an individual.

timvp
11-20-2004, 03:53 PM
Rebounding is going to be weakness for the Spurs this year. For all of Hedo's sucking, he was a 6-10 player who could go out and get you some rebounds. Now Bowen is asked to rebound more and he's one of the worst rebounding forwards in the league.

They need Rasho close to 10 per game and players like Parker, Barry, Beno and Bowen getting one more per game.

Marcus Bryant
11-20-2004, 03:55 PM
Another result of Radosoft's lack of aggression.

boutons
11-20-2004, 04:32 PM
"but couldn't be credited to an individual."

Exactly. The individuals weren't do rebounding, or anything, worth shit for 2.5 qtrs.

Shaolin-Style
11-20-2004, 05:00 PM
TD didn't do a very good job rebounding.

And that was the whole problem.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-20-2004, 05:36 PM
At the end of the day rebounds are a hustle stat, and the spurs didn't have a great deal of it last night. It would certainly explain how they got down that far to the friggin' Celtics.

Supergirl
11-20-2004, 06:10 PM
Spurs were tired last night. Clearly Pop knew they were tired coming into it, otherwise why would he put Tony Massenburg in the game in the middle of the 1st quarter.

But they turned it on when it counted, and pulled out the win. They aren't going to be able to get away with that kind of game (reminds me of the Lakers in the 2002-2003 season, sleepwalking through the first 3 quarters, and the regular season) against really good teams. Against the C's they can, because they can count on people like Marcus Banks making key TOs in the 4th quarter...

whottt
11-20-2004, 08:29 PM
Rebounding is going to be weakness for the Spurs this year. For all of Hedo's sucking, he was a 6-10 player who could go out and get you some rebounds. Now Bowen is asked to rebound more and he's one of the worst rebounding forwards in the league.

They need Rasho close to 10 per game and players like Parker, Barry, Beno and Bowen getting one more per game.

I disagree...I see no reason for a drop off in rebounding..losing Hedo?...Barry is a nice rebounder too, arguably better than Hedo. And if Hedo was better per 48 last season or per 48 for his career, the difference isn't that great. We are talking a half a rebound per game...

There is no excuse for us being a poorer rebounding team than last year or the previous year. If you want more rebounding give Malik more minutes. But even without that...I see no reason why we shouldn't be a top 5 team in the NBA.

I mean we were #1 or 2 last season and #1 in DRPG...losing Hedo and replacing him with Barry shouldn't drop us that much...it damn sure shouldn't cause us to be a poor rebounding team.

We are shooting at a better PCT than last year and our opps are already barely shooting 40% for the season...there's a lot more O rebound opportunities for our opponents this season...and a lot fewer O Rebound opps for our players.

And also...to those who criticize our D...we are already #1 in PPG and Opp FG%. Spurs D, like the rest of the team, is ahead of schedule. THe only chink in the entire team is the fact that we are allowing opps to shoot about 45% from 3 point range...yet we are still barely giving up 40% to our opps for the season...there is a very good chance this team will set some more NBA Defensive records.

spurster
11-20-2004, 09:31 PM
If you add 19 team rebounds plus 29 individual rebounds, that gives 48 total rebounds for the Spurs.

If you add 6 team rebounds plus 44 individual rebounds, that gives 50 total rebounds for the Celtics.

Yes, the Celtics still outrebounded the Spurs slightly and that shouldn't happen, but it's hardly a catastrophe.

Finally, I don't understand how the 19 team rebounds can be credited to the other team's hustle. That logic doesn't work.

Rummpd
11-20-2004, 09:50 PM
Want rebounds play Rose more = solution but its a trade off sometimes,

MadDoc

whottt
11-20-2004, 09:55 PM
It's a solution that works for me...we've won two titles with Malik being a key reserve off the bench...why last year, all of a sudden people felt he was no longer good enough to do that job for us...is a mystery to me. I'm very happy we got Horry as well...but Malik needed to see more minutes in the LA series...he was the big that best matched up with the inside presence of Malone and Shaq...IMO Malik is the best Shaq defender on the team....and we need Malik's tough rebounding to counter-act the LA double teams.

Jimcs50
11-20-2004, 10:48 PM
Rebounding is overrated. The last few years, Cleveland and Golden State have dominated the rebounding stats in the league and look where it got them. Playing solid defense, and shooting well with decent rebounding is all you need to win. The Spurs can win w/o dominating rebounding if they control TOs and play their consistantly great defense.