PDA

View Full Version : Buck Harvey: Couple of outsiders star on the Spurs' ark

ShoogarBear
11-20-2004, 07:02 PM
Web Posted: 11/20/2004 12:00 AM CST

San Antonio Express-News

BOSTON ? The Spurs are versatile, especially when they open their mouths. Manu Ginobili and Rasho Nesterovic, in a postgame conversation Friday night, spoke Italian.

So what language does Nesterovic speak with fellow Slovenian Beno Udrih?

"Chinese," Nesterovic deadpanned.

That kidder. Nesterovic has Udrih this season, just as Tony Parker has Romain Sato, whose primary language in the Central African Republic is French. Next season, if the pattern follows, Ginobili will have an Argentine Olympic ally, Spurs draft pick Luis Scola.

But the most peculiar two-by-two, Noah's ark kind-of combination is not nearly as exotic. That would be Malik Rose and Robert Horry, fluent in both English and backup.

Friday, for once, they got to speak at the same time.

It happened because the Spurs' starting big men weren't saying much. The Celtics went out to leads by rebounding, and that's not easy to do with Raef LaFrentz and Mark Blount as your tall people.

Gregg Popovich took a common stance. In huddles, he kept asking with considerable sarcasm: "When are you going to start playing?"

An early answer came late in the first half. Then the Spurs left a timeout as if their one and only goal was to start moving their legs. Brent Barry ran across the baseline, gathered himself and threw in a 3-pointer off the play.

He later explained how the reserves were feeling. "The second unit needed to pick up the game," he said. "We hadn't been doing that, and we were disappointed in Philadelphia. Tonight was a start."

But nothing really changed until a quarter later, toward the end of the third period. Then Popovich made the move that great coaches make when trailing by double digits. He took out Tim Duncan, leaving a unit on the floor that also was without Nesterovic.

It may not happen often. "I'm not saying it's a bad combination," Rose said of he and Horry. "But there aren't many centers I can guard in the league."

There was a chance it was never going to happen, no matter the specifics. It's an old story that the Spurs tried to trade Rose. But there were times last summer when Horry, too, wondered if the Spurs wanted him back.

If the Spurs were hesitant to re-sign Horry, it was because of the final image of last season. Horry didn't match up well against his old team, the Lakers, in the playoffs. When he subbed for Nesterovic, Duncan had to move over to defend against Shaquille O'Neal.

But how did Horry end the regular season? And how did he play against Memphis in the first round? He was significant in the rotation when the Spurs played their best.

Thus far this season he's waited for his turn, and he's acted patient. "Our bench is so deep," Horry said, "I'm just cruising along."

But it's likely an act. He wants to play as much as Rose does.

Usually these two compete for the leftover minutes. Friday they just competed, combining with Barry, Parker and Devin Brown to change the game. Rose went inside immediately after Duncan left, grabbing an offensive rebound and score, and Horry opened the fourth quarter with a signature tone-setter.

When Barry tossed the ball out, there was Horry at the 3-point line, pulling the Spurs back within four points.

But it was more than made shots. Both scrambled on defense with their teammates, switching and confusing the Celtics. When Rose tied the game with a free throw, Duncan checked back in.

"I was a little nervous," Duncan said later with a smile. "I didn't want to mess up what they had going."

Duncan didn't. He picked up on the energy that was now on the court, and Ginobili joined in, too. He followed his spectacular fourth quarter in Philadelphia with another in Boston, all with a sore hip.

His night ended in the locker room, speaking some Italian with Nesterovic. And on either side of them, dressing at opposite ends of the room, were Rose and Horry.

Together, they'd had something to say.

Link (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/bharvey/stories/MYSA112004.1C.COL.BKNharvey.73db6080.html)

timvp
11-20-2004, 07:05 PM
Notice how Walton and AHF are nowhere to be found.

whottt
11-20-2004, 07:11 PM
I was saying this last year. Why does it have to be one or the other? They have different skills and styles but they are both winners. Having to choose between Horry or Rose is a nice situation to have.

And personally I thought Pop was at fault for not using Malik more against LA and Shaq...we needed Malik's more physical style instead of Horry's cerebral style...Malik has always done pretty well against LA in the playoffs.

Use them both.

ShoogarBear
11-20-2004, 07:14 PM
Hey, whottt, you know this guy?

http://www.hbo.com/familybonds/img/behindthescenes/506x316_tom_window.jpg

whottt
11-20-2004, 07:28 PM
No, and never heard of that show either, you appear to be attempting to make some kind of joke about my occupation..don't get it. ...But why does he get to wear a badge? I don't get a badge like that :(

If I did I might get fewer threats.

I am much better looking then that guy as well...I must be because I usually get hit on by call girls and hookers I get out of jail :)

ShoogarBear
11-20-2004, 07:42 PM
It's an HBO reality show about a family of bail bondsmen. That guy is the head of the firm and the family.

I haven't seen it that often, but it's sorta fun. Kinda like The Osbornes with guns and handcuffs. (Since I've never actually seen The Osbornes at all, I'm taking some dramatic license here.) Maybe you'd get a kick out of it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-20-2004, 07:45 PM
Notice how Walton and AHF are nowhere to be found.

I was partying in San Marcos last night, sorry for not checking in :spin

It's good to see Rose have a good game, it's gonna take more than one in ten games for me to be happy about it.

boutons
11-20-2004, 07:47 PM
Harvey's always got weirdest, backhanded, ellipicitally obscure takes, with no point to make.

He couldn't get out of HS sophmore English composition class. How much do these clowns make for pasting together a string of quotes and calling it an "article"?

whottt
11-20-2004, 08:53 PM
It's an HBO reality show about a family of bail bondsmen. That guy is the head of the firm and the family.

I haven't seen it that often, but it's sorta fun. Kinda like The Osbornes with guns and handcuffs. (Since I've never actually seen The Osbornes at all, I'm taking some dramatic license here.) Maybe you'd get a kick out of it.

Ahh I see...no I don't have HBO right now, I pretty much think HBO sucks and shows shitty movies...the only HBO show I have liked for the past 6 years is the Sopranos and I just go and rent the DVD's when they came out.

Those guys are a little bit different than me...if they are true bondsmen they either have a large insurance account or have put their house or some cash up, to be able to write bonds...When someone jumps bail on them they are in serious shit...they either have to be, or hire, bounty hunters or risk getting put out of business....they have to have kind of a nasty and ruthless disposition. I'm not put in that type of desperate situation.

I work for an attorney and he holds the bond money, I also do other stuff like work on his computers, serve supponeas and help out with local elections.....as for my bond duties, I just go and get the guys out of jail...since he is an attorney it is very easy for him to get off of risky bonds so I seldom have to go out hunting for bail jumpers.

Those guys on that show probably took a class that makes them licensed bondsmen, I am just licensed to run them. I don't make as good a money but I'm also not on the hook for even larger lumps of money.

I do have to try and track down bail jumpers on occasion(either when my boss demands it or I needs some money), and I do have a license to carry a gun and serve as a bounty hunter...but I generally try to avoid that kind bullshit since I don't like getting my ass kicked or having some guy trying to kill me. I mean I'm a damn anthropologist unable to get work in my chosen field.....not freaking Steve McQueen or Clint Eastwood. I will downl...er..check that show out though.