PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs Celtics 11-19 Grades

Nikos
11-20-2004, 07:07 PM
Just thought I would take the opportunity to put in my observations and grades after attending the Celtics vs. Spurs game at the Fleet Center last night.

Tim Duncan (A)
Had a dominant presence on both ends of the floor. Didn’t grab many rebounds but did everything else. Even hit his FT’s. Methodically took apart the Celtics interior defense with either the score underneath or by simply scanning the defense and making the right pass. In the first three quarters it did not seem he was playing great, but he came back while the bench inched their way back in the game, and finished brilliantly. Very efficient scoring and FT shooting down the stretch was a welcome sign.

Bruce Bowen (B-)
I was a little disappointed with his shooting. He missed an easy shot or two that would have helped limit Boston’s early lead and momentum. Defense was good as usual. He also took care of the ball and racked up a few reasonable assists. Didn’t help the team much on offense, but his defense was needed at times with Barry and Ginobili not always keeping up with a few penetrations and jump shots at the center inside the paint.

Rasho Nesterovic (D+)
Not a good game for Rasho. Pretty much missed everything and played poor D at times, letting his man get offensive rebound and put backs. Had a few instances where he did bother a few Celtic penetrations, and had a few reasonable blocks. But his offense in general was poor and his defense was not really up to par. Needed more from Rasho despite the fact that he still made some impact defensively.

Manu Ginobili (A-)
Through three quarters I had him hovering around a B-/C+, but he came to play in the fourth. For much of the game he looked sluggish on defense, not putting forth as much energy as I am accustomed to seeing from him. He just seemed a step slow at times tonight and got taken off the dribble once by Tony Allen in the center of the paint (although he did miss the shot). Had some nice passes early on, but teammates just missed the open shots. Also had a really bad turnover where he forced fed Duncan in traffic that had me wondering “WHY”? You could see the turnover coming, and it almost seemed like Ginobili knew it before it left his hand too. I guess it was a designed play, but I still do not understand why he makes that pass when he does not have to. Throughout it seemed like Pop was resting him till the end, and it paid off. He drew two crucial offensive fouls that lead to two scoring possessions (one of them his own I believe) including three clutch three pointers that helped seal up the game.

Tony Parker (A-)
Parker looked reasonably sharp on offense. Got a little sloppy at times, but generally had a good game scoring wise and in terms of getting the team in its offense. Had some fastbreak buckets that helped him get eased into the game. Had trouble with Payton’s quick post ups off screens and semi-fastbreaks and also was overmatched on the 3 or 4 Paul Pierce fadeaway baskets. Defense was not always his fault however in terms of having to rotate on Pierce. Gave him an A- cause he came to play in the fourth quarter and scored 7pts I believe and they were all crucial points. Not to mention a solid dish to Manu for a three to help seal the game. His 3pt and FT shooting in the first half was troubling, but luckily was not a factor in the second half. But at some point he HAS to become more reliable at the line. Otherwise it might lessen his aggressiveness offensively. That is the last thing the team needs is Parker infrequently getting to the line while also shooting inaccurately.

Brent Barry (A-)
His shot looked a bit off. But he did hit a few nice long range shots. His passing was excellent. He gave the team a boost in that regard and also did not turn it over. Did get blocked badly once off a forced shot with the shot clock winding down. But he also did get a nice block on Raef I believe? Had trouble with Rickey Davis in the first half, allowing him to get to the middle of the floor and hit an easy jumper. Overall however Barry did a good job and his passing really proved to be vital off the bench, especially combined with the fact he took care of the ball so well. I don’t mind Barry having sub par shooting nights as long as he makes it up with his passing like tonight.

Beno Udrih (D-)
Didn’t look good out there last night. Had three turnovers and did nothing to keep the Spurs afloat early on with the Celtics solid start. Missed his three pointer pretty badly. Could have used some solid passing or a few baskets from him, but he couldn’t provide it in limited minutes. Just really did not look comfortable out there, but then again neither did the team in all of the minutes Beno was on the floor or even off the floor (until the fourth).

Malik Rose (B+)
Came in with some good energy. Played solid D after Al Jefferson was scoring easily over Robert Horry. Did rack up some fouls but in general played within himself and played that usual hustle style fans expect from Malik. Was hitting the offensive boards, and helped take part in the mini-run that kept the Spurs afloat in the third. Not a bad night from Malik considering how poorly things were going for the Spurs for much of the game.

Robert Horry (B-)
Played some poor D at times on Al Jefferson that had me wanting him out of the game. But he hit a BIG 3 late in the 3rd that helped cut the lead to 4pts. Didn’t help on the boards or do anything defensively, but the three pointer was enough to make his mark on the game.

Devin Brown (B-)
Devin actually looked solid at times. But for some reason I did not feel safe with him on Pierce considering the fact he was also missing open shots at the other end. But he redeemed himself a bit by attacking the basket and converting in one fastbreak instance in the first half. He also made a good shot with the shot clock winding down in the first quarter. He played hard on defense, but was pretty much overmatched with Pierce. Nonetheless he gave a reasonable effort coming in for Manu/Bruce at times. Probably a bit generous with the grade, but he didn’t really hurt the team too much and was working on defense.

Tony Massenburg (INC)

Only came in for 6 minutes and hit one shot, but also had two turnovers. Not really enough playing time to really give him a grade that means anything. If I had to I would probably say C since he did commit two turnovers.

As an aside the Spurs did not look too good for most of the game. The end of the third the bench made a nice run and in the fourth the Spurs had enough energy and poise to close the game. The win was a good one despite the poor start. They could have easily folded, but they still managed to look very good in the fourth despite solid overall play and energy from the Celtics. Pop did a solid job keeping Manu’s minutes down and sticking with that bench lineup at the end of the third that helped make the run going into the fourth quarter. Reasonable substitution patterns last night from Pop considering how sluggish the team looked at times.

SuperManu!!!
11-20-2004, 07:10 PM
NIce!

Athenea
11-20-2004, 09:52 PM
hahahahaha :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao at your sig ^^^^

johnny00
11-20-2004, 10:11 PM
Nice review Nikos, although I thought you were a little hard with the bench reviews. They were the ones after all that got us back into the game towards the end of the third quarter. From there the starters finally played with the same type of energy they did.