PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: NBA talks to Spurs' Duncan about role in ejection

Kori Ellis
04-17-2007, 01:02 AM
NBA talks to Spurs' Duncan about role in ejection

Web Posted: 04/17/2007 12:08 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA041707.01D.BKNspurs.duncan.35bc7f4.html

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — NBA officials interviewed Tim Duncan about his ejection in Sunday's loss to Dallas as the league's investigation appeared to focus on the actions of referee Joey Crawford.

Duncan said he spoke with an NBA security representative Monday by phone and told him the same thing he told reporters the previous day when he was ejected by Crawford while sitting on the bench:

Crawford asked him if he wanted to fight before either technical foul was issued; he made only one verbal complaint to Crawford about a call; and he was laughing about a call against Fabricio Oberto when Crawford ejected him.

Duncan also admitted he cursed at Crawford but only after he had been ejected and had started to leave the court. Crawford said Duncan called him a "piece of (expletive)."

"I called him that," Duncan said. "But I wanted to make sure (league officials) knew that wasn't why I was ejected."

Spurs officials said they wouldn't be surprised if Duncan is fined for his comments to reporters. The NBA frowns on players publicly critiquing the referees, particularly when they single them out by name.

Dallas guard Jerry Stackhouse had to pay $30,000 last season when he unleashed a profanity-laced tirade about referee Dick Bavetta after a loss to the Spurs. New Jersey point guard Jason Kidd was fined $20,000 this season after he called an officiating crew "three blind mice."

"I'll pay a fine," Duncan said, "if it's a fine for laughing."

Duncan accused Crawford on Sunday of having a "personal vendetta" against him. Spurs coach Gregg Popovich and some of the players also said they heard Crawford shout, "Do you want to fight?" when Duncan was speaking with Popovich near the team's bench.

Crawford also could be heard telling Popovich he thought Duncan was mocking the officials by laughing. When Popovich told Crawford that sounded like a personal complaint, Crawford gestured to the other two members of the officiating crew and said, "It is. It's personal to all three of us."

NBA commissioner David Stern has tried to reduce the amount of on-court complaining by players this season by instructing officials to issue technical fouls when warranted. But he also doesn't like having the referees upstage the players, which is one reason he is said to be taking a close look at Crawford's actions.

Crawford has been an NBA referee for more than 30 seasons, and this isn't the first time he has drawn the ire of league officials. After Crawford hit Dallas with four technical fouls, including the ejection of then-coach Don Nelson, in the first quarter of Game 2 of the 2003 Western Conference finals against the Spurs, Stern summoned him to New York for a meeting.

Officials with knowledge of the meeting said Stern was incensed about Crawford's quick trigger and described the commissioner's rant against the veteran referee as "an all-timer." The NBA usually doesn't announce any reprimands of its referees, and league officials wouldn't comment on the possibility of Crawford being suspended.

Crawford once quickly ejected Popovich during a game in Sacramento, then later apologized to the team, saying he had erred.

Duncan has had issues with another veteran referee, Jack Nies, after he was suspended one game three seasons ago for pushing Nies out of the way after a jump ball. But Duncan said he doesn't know when his trouble began with Crawford, who gave him a technical April 1 in Indiana.

Crawford routinely officiates high-profile playoff games, and Spurs officials have privately wondered how he will act if assigned to work one of their games this postseason.

"I don't worry about something like that lingering with Timmy at all because he doesn't have a vengeful bone in his body," Popovich said. "I think it will just be gone from his perspective."

Kori Ellis
04-17-2007, 01:03 AM
Buck Harvey: Crazy Joey? Battling him more insane

Web Posted: 04/17/2007 12:07 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA041707.01D.COL.BKNharvey.spurs.35bc8b7.html

Joey Crawford and Tim Duncan have a history, all right.

Crawford worked Game 6 against the Lakers in 2003, when Duncan had one of the finest games of his career.

Crawford and the Mavericks are tight, too. He was the lead ref when Josh Howard called his infamous time-out in Miami; Crawford also had something to do with Dwyane Wade shooting 25 free throws that night.

That's Crawford, a ref who has been on all sides with his sense of frontier justice. He's not always right, and Sunday he was wrong. But Crawford is still among the best, and one of Duncan's mistakes is not realizing that.

Another mistake?

Thinking it's possible to beat someone such as Crawford by complaining.

The NBA has tried to rein in the rebel refs of the old days, and that's why Crawford may be suspended or fined. Still, Crawford was also following David Stern's edict this season. Stern wanted less guff on the court, and Crawford can argue he was simply trying to establish just that.

Stern might have little patience with Crawford because he's gone through this before. Crawford arrived in San Antonio after a foul-plagued opener in the 2003 Western Conference finals, and he swaggered in looking to install order.

He called four technicals in the first quarter, and among them was an early one against Don Nelson. Nelson stood at midcourt, with arms folded, and he refused to budge after Crawford told Nelson to get back on the bench. Crawford then ejected Nelson, and the Dallas side cried afterward about Crazy Joey's quick temper.

The opinion in this space the next day dealt with a reputation that Nelson knew too well: "When Joey says shut up, shut up."

Stern later dressed down Crawford as officials rarely are, and Stern may go further after this incident. But that doesn't change the analogy. Just as Nelson had asked for trouble, so did Duncan.

Game 3 in Dallas last year likely had something to do with it. With about a minute left then, with the Spurs ahead by a point, Dirk Nowitzki drove. Duncan appeared to be doing his best to back up and get out of Nowitzki's way. Duncan had five fouls at the time.

Duncan didn't move fast enough, and Nowitzki's right foot landed on Duncan's right foot. Crawford went to the scorer's table, signaling the foul and the end of the evening for No. 21, with Duncan walking behind in disbelief. Perhaps no one call meant more in that series.

It also underlined a swing in respect for the two stars of these two teams. Nowitzki would attempt more free throws (24) and make more (21) in that game than any in Dallas playoff history.

Maybe that's when Crawford began to see Duncan as a chronic complainer. Maybe Crawford looks for any sign of that now, and maybe that's how Duncan got his first technical Sunday.

Whatever Duncan said or didn't say next, cameras caught an oddly animated Duncan clapping twice after another whistle and laughing wildly. Crawford should have looked the other way.

But Duncan didn't get that second technical because he enjoys a good chuckle. He was mocking Crawford, and Steve Javie threw out Nick Van Exel last year in the Dallas series for less. As Crawford told Gregg Popovich later, Duncan "knew exactly what he was doing."

Duncan would later say Crawford asked him if he wanted to "fight," but this middle-aged man didn't want to trade punches with a 6-foot-11 power forward. Crawford was asking, as refs of an earlier era did: You want to mess with me?

Duncan messed with Crawford the way fools do with a cop. The basketball equivalent of cuffs followed.

Crawford might have done the Spurs a favor. He made sure their best player didn't get hurt in a mostly meaningless game.

And Crawford did something else. He reminded Duncan what Popovich has been telling him over the years and what Duncan will need to focus on starting this weekend.

Refs react favorably because of how you play — not because of how much you complain.

BeerIsGood!
04-17-2007, 01:18 AM
TD and the rest of the Spurs do need to quit complaining and just play ball, but at the same time the officials need to be held to a higher performance standard. They are horrible in the NBA, and the NBA undoubtedly has the worst officials of any professional sport. If they would do their job correctly instead of being attention whores, the games would run a lot more smoothly.

ponky
04-17-2007, 01:25 AM
interesting articles, i didn't know about the whole stern/crawford meeting back in 2003, i was pissed about the nelson ejection but i thought it was also incredibly funny. anyway, i hope crawford is told to chill out for the playoffs, it's not about him and it will be interesting to see what, if any, action is taken regarding his status for the playoffs. someone mentioned a 1995 drexler/ref incident where drexler was given two techs and the ref was suspended for the rest of the playoffs so i guess there is hope that he may be suspended. of course, he may try to use the rulebook to defend his actions because it's so vague ("overt actions indicating resentment to a call" can be given a tech)...i'll hope for the former

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-17-2007, 01:28 AM
interesting articles, i didn't know about the whole stern/crawford meeting back in 2003, i was pissed about the nelson ejection but i thought it was also incredibly funny. anyway, i hope crawford is told to chill out for the playoffs, it's not about him and it will be interesting to see what, if any, action is taken regarding his status for the playoffs. someone mentioned a 1995 drexler/ref incident where drexler was given two techs and the ref was suspended for the rest of the playoffs so i guess there is hope that he may be suspended. of course, he may try to use the rulebook to defend his actions because it's so vague ("overt actions indicating resentment to a call" can be given a tech)...i'll hope for the former

Actually, the ref in the Drexler hubbub (O'Donnell, IIRC) was subsequently fired (or forced to resign).

ponky
04-17-2007, 01:32 AM
Actually, the ref in the Drexler hubbub (O'Donnell, IIRC) was subsequently fired (or forced to resign).

tell me more...was it because of this one incident? i don't even remember this happening and drexler is one of my all-time favorite players, probably my favorite when he played with the blazers

SPARKY
04-17-2007, 01:35 AM
TD and the rest of the Spurs do need to quit complaining and just play ball, but at the same time the officials need to be held to a higher performance standard. They are horrible in the NBA, and the NBA undoubtedly has the worst officials of any professional sport. If they would do their job correctly instead of being attention whores, the games would run a lot more smoothly.

Every fucking team in the league complains about calls, especially among the top tier in the West. I think TD is hit a bit more about it since he's stone faced otherwise. Well, except when he's laughing at Joey.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-17-2007, 01:35 AM
props to buck harvey for calling TD on his blatant complaining. I really do think TD is easily one of the three biggest whiners in the league. He even whines when he GETS the call. Sometimes he's whining so much, he forgets to get back on the defensive end. In a perfect world, Duncan will stfu and play like he used to back in the day when he rarely said anything, and Crawford will be suspended from the entire playoffs.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-17-2007, 01:36 AM
Every fucking team in the league complains about calls, especially among the top tier in the West. I think TD is hit a bit more about it since he's stone faced otherwise. Well, except when he's laughing at Joey.

TD complains a hell of a lot more than anyone in the top tier of western teams.

To his credit, he has chilled out a bit this year, but he still nags a lot.

SPARKY
04-17-2007, 01:39 AM
Nah, TD's antics are more memorable because otherwise he usually doesn't say shit.

milkyway21
04-17-2007, 01:41 AM
Game 3 in Dallas last year likely had something to do with it. With about a minute left then, with the Spurs ahead by a point, Dirk Nowitzki drove. Duncan appeared to be doing his best to back up and get out of Nowitzki's way. Duncan had five fouls at the time.

Duncan didn't move fast enough, and Nowitzki's right foot landed on Duncan's right foot. Crawford went to the scorer's table, signaling the foul and the end of the evening for No. 21, with Duncan walking behind in disbelief. Perhaps no one call meant more in that series.

It also underlined a swing in respect for the two stars of these two teams. Nowitzki would attempt more free throws (24) and make more (21) in that game than any in Dallas playoff history. and the rest is history ..........:wakeup

Amuseddaysleeper
04-17-2007, 01:42 AM
and the rest is history ..........:wakeup

yeah but there were also games where TD shot more ft's than the entire DAL team combined I believe. But yes, the officiating in games 3 and 4 were beyond brutal.

ponky
04-17-2007, 01:48 AM
props to buck harvey for calling TD on his blatant complaining. I really do think TD is easily one of the three biggest whiners in the league. He even whines when he GETS the call. Sometimes he's whining so much, he forgets to get back on the defensive end. In a perfect world, Duncan will stfu and play like he used to back in the day when he rarely said anything, and Crawford will be suspended from the entire playoffs.

first off dirk complains too, everyone does...that said, i've seen duncan start to complain and head towards the ref before realizing that he actually did get the call, it always cracks me up...but yeah, he's been a lot better this year, i think a lot of guys have after those first few weeks when refs were dishing out techs like free guv'ment cheese

Amuseddaysleeper
04-17-2007, 01:49 AM
first off dirk complains too, everyone does...that said, i've seen duncan start to complain and head towards the ref before realizing that he actually did get the call, it always cracks me up...but yeah, he's been a lot better this year, i think a lot of guys have after those first few weeks when refs were dishing out techs like free guv'ment cheese

Yeah, but maybe it's b/c I watch more Spurs games than any other team coupled with the fact that back in the day TD used to complain so little that when he DID say something, you had to give him the benefit of the doubt.

But yeah, a ajority of players are improving in that regard

J.T.
04-17-2007, 01:56 AM
The phantom fouls that sent Tim and Manu to the bench in GMs 3 and 4 respectively were the most bullshit of all. GM 2 was a doozy too, I'm surprised Javie didn't T up the crowd for chanting "Javie Sucks". Joey would've.

jaespur21
04-17-2007, 02:08 AM
but in Tims defense ive DVR many calls in slo mo and he barely and sometimes doesnt even commit a foul. and then other calls where he is obviously hit so if your gonna call that on 1 end of the floor its jacked up that its not called both ways... i got mucho DVR proof

whottt
04-17-2007, 02:08 AM
Again...I'm not so sure I want Crawford banned from reffing Spurs games...

Still better than Bavetta.

Tek_XX
04-17-2007, 02:23 AM
I have no problem with Crawford officiating a Spurs game. It's his professional career if he wants to pull any shit.

Obstructed_View
04-17-2007, 02:26 AM
I have a feeling that the string of bizzarre calls will be looked at in addition to the ejection and everyone from that game will be put on double secret probation for the playoffs, if they are allowed to do games at all.

slayermin
04-17-2007, 03:07 AM
Maybe Joey did TD a favor, as Buck Harvey suggests in his article. I don't think there is anything wrong with working the refs. But maybe he should just tone it down for the playoffs.

I hope all this blows over because Joey Crawford is my favorite ref. Imo, he has been good to San Antonio in the past. He's a fan of the game and maybe he was just trying to tell TD to stop being a baby like others have suggested.

SRJ
04-17-2007, 03:13 AM
Re: Duncan complaining

The reason Tim has complained more in recent seasons is simple - his status has changed.

When Tim arrived in San Antonio, he was the low man on a very tall totem pole in terms of NBA experience. David Robinson, Sean Elliott, Avery Johnson, Chuck Person, Will Perdue, Mario Elie, Steve Kerr, and Jerome Kersey were longtime NBA vets playing with Tim in 1998 and 1999. I assumed then that Tim's silence during games was in part due to the fact that he came to such a veteran team. David was a very vocal player toward officials, as was Mario Elie, and needless to say so was Avery - you could hear that squeaky bellow from the top of the Tower of Americas during games.

It seems to me that Tim's voice has grown as those vets have disappeared and as Tim became the senior player on the team (tenure, not age). And I don't have a problem with him or any players making their case - maybe the official is missing something, they need to know. Don't be a jackass about it, but say your piece.

milkyway21
04-17-2007, 03:22 AM
what a way to start the playoff, so many distractions, and against Denver, hottest team(based on W streaks,),again .

Crawford once quickly ejected Popovich during a game in Sacramento, then later apologized to the team, saying that he had erred.

:wtf what will you do if the same thing happens in the playoffs? and your favorite team lost in that game?
:D

I'm wondering what Duncan's thinking right now. I guess he'll just save his money and keep his mouth shut because it's what the fans want and he doesn't want to attract media attention again. And he hates interviews :lol

slayermin
04-17-2007, 03:22 AM
Don't be a jackass about it, but say your piece.

Exactly. But I don't think TD has been a jackass about it at all or he would get more technicals. Manu and TP rarely draws T's either so it's a farce to me that certain individuals want to label the Spurs as "whiners." If anything, they get screwed out of calls. TD spends most of his time in the paint. TP does the same, at least on the offense end. And Manu is always attacking the basket. They are always being hacked or kicked.

Our team is blue collar as it gets. They earn everything. Man, I wish the playoffs would get here already.

carina_gino20
04-17-2007, 04:22 AM
buck harvey is doing exactly what joey did--interpreting Tim's actions and turning things around to downplay Crawford's stupid call.

exstatic
04-17-2007, 07:04 AM
Yes, Tim complains. Doesn't sound like he did on Sunday, though, if you believe his account. Six words, and none of them led to either T. The fact remains that if Rasheed Wallace were to suddenly begin act exactly like Tim does, he'd never get another T in his career. Tim does not confront officials in a disrespectful manner on the court, which is what the league was mostly trying to stop.

I think Joey Crawford is in real trouble. His comments prove that he was out to show up Tim and prove some stupid point relevant only in Joey Crawford's mind. Pop was smart to point out to him that it was getting personal. Joey only dug further by admitting that it was.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich and some of the players also said they heard Crawford shout, "Do you want to fight?" when Duncan was speaking with Popovich near the team's bench.

Crawford also could be heard telling Popovich he thought Duncan was mocking the officials by laughing. When Popovich told Crawford that sounded like a personal complaint, Crawford gestured to the other two members of the officiating crew and said, "It is. It's personal to all three of us."

In the world of officials, he's Rasheed Wallace, totally out of fucking control.

dbestpro
04-17-2007, 07:34 AM
Buck Harvey: Crazy Joey? Battling him more insane

Web Posted: 04/17/2007 12:07 AM CDT

Refs react favorably because of how you play — not because of how much you complain.

Detriot whined there way to a championship and Cuban whined his way to the top of the west. Look at there rosters and no way are they that good without the whine. You provide the whine the refs will provide the cheese.

LilMissSPURfect
04-17-2007, 08:21 AM
Exactly. But I don't think TD has been a jackass about it at all or he would get more technicals. Manu and TP rarely draws T's either so it's a farce to me that certain individuals want to label the Spurs as "whiners." If anything, they get screwed out of calls. TD spends most of his time in the paint. TP does the same, at least on the offense end. And Manu is always attacking the basket. They are always being hacked or kicked.

Our team is blue collar as it gets. They earn everything. Man, I wish the playoffs would get here already.

THAT'S exactly why TIM complains....he's a POST player getting beat down and whipped every night.........with no calls and then on the other end u breath on a jump shooter and GET STEPPED ON and all hell breaks loose at the free throw line...maybe the nba needs to change the rules again to protect the BIG GUYS too....?

T Park
04-17-2007, 08:40 AM
Im absolutely disgusted by amused.

You call yourself a spurs fan. You turn this around on Duncan?

Are you shitting me?

Good god.

nkdlunch
04-17-2007, 08:44 AM
yup. the whole Detroit team is just as complainer or more than the Spurs. That's what champions do, they use their mind to affect the refs.

what the fuck you think Jordan used to do? magic, the detroit bad boys, Larry Bird?

all of them have the same thing in commond, they all complained about most of the calls against them in regular season, playoffs, finals, preseason. etc.

this is nothing new. the people calling out Duncan don't know what the fuck they talking about.

Spurminator
04-17-2007, 09:35 AM
I'm starting to get a bad feeling about this. If Crawford takes a fall... even if he doesn't ref another Spurs game, it will be on the minds of every other referee in the NBA. Whether conscious or not, that could affect how they call Spurs games.

whottt
04-17-2007, 10:08 AM
I'm starting to get a bad feeling about this. If Crawford takes a fall... even if he doesn't ref another Spurs game, it will be on the minds of every other referee in the NBA. Whether conscious or not, that could affect how they call Spurs games.

Little picture....

The guys have careers to worry about...hopefully Stern will prove to them they need to be worried.

wildbill2u
04-17-2007, 10:32 AM
Stern usually backs up the refs--because he has to. Chaos otherwise.

If he disciplines Crawford publicly--or privately in my opinion--then Crawford certainly WILL carry a grudge forward against Tim. He's that kind of ref. If he doesn't discipline him, and there is another bad call in the playoffs by Crawford, then more bad publicity will accrue to the League about the unfair 'feud' of Crawford with the Spurs/Duncan.

Crawford's reputation isn't the best, having been in trouble for some kind of fraud with the IRS--and the league let him skate. He obviously put himself into this mess where another ref would have handled it better.

But if Stern is wise, he quietly keeps Crawford off the playoff games with the Spurs. There are enough refs to go around.

LakerLanny
04-17-2007, 10:37 AM
When the investigation is all done, look for Kobe to get suspended for one game. :rolleyes

LakerLanny
04-17-2007, 10:38 AM
THAT'S exactly why TIM complains....he's a POST player getting beat down and whipped every night.........with no calls and then on the other end u breath on a jump shooter and GET STEPPED ON and all hell breaks loose at the free throw line...maybe the nba needs to change the rules again to protect the BIG GUYS too....?

Tim does a lot of whining and has benefitted from bad NBA officiating more than any player since John Stockton.

One only has to look back at the World Championship over the summer to see that without NBA officials, his game is significantly less effective.

LilMissSPURfect
04-17-2007, 10:41 AM

If he disciplines Crawford publicly--or privately in my opinion--then Crawford certainly WILL carry a grudge forward against Tim. He's that kind of ref. If he doesn't discipline him, and there is another bad call in the playoffs by Crawford, then more bad publicity will accrue to the League about the unfair 'feud' of Crawford with the Spurs/Duncan.

Crawford's reputation isn't the best, having been in trouble for some kind of fraud with the IRS--and the league let him skate. He obviously put himself into this mess where another ref would have handled it better.

But if Stern is wise, he quietly keeps Crawford off the playoff games with the Spurs. There are enough refs to go around.

I think he quietly keeps joey out of the playoffs...not just out of the spurs games...let's say a call is missed and your team loses ...the controversy will start up all over again.

joey is out for 07

leemajors
04-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Tim does a lot of whining and has benefitted from bad NBA officiating more than any player since John Stockton.

One only has to look back at the World Championship over the summer to see that without NBA officials, his game is significantly less effective.
:lol

Testing
04-17-2007, 11:06 AM
Super stars like Kobe, Wade, Lebron, Dirk get called for the most ticky tacky fouls I['ve ever seen. Yet, Parker who lives in the paint hardly ever gets to the FT line for a 3 point player when he drives to the whole, initiates contact, and makes the shot. Then it's just a regular 2 pointer. I see no difference in Parker's drives to the basket than Wade/Kobe/etc. drives to the basket.

Duncan does whine too much and he should stop and just play the game. Because unconciously the refs know this and get annoyed by it.

Obstructed_View
04-17-2007, 11:21 AM
(anyone notice the refs this much, in say, college basketball?)
Jesus Christ, did you miss the NCAA tournament this year?

DaMavs02
04-17-2007, 11:26 AM
It seems like the NBA calls fouls these days if a player starts deep in the post and makes a strong move to the basket (Duncan in last year's series against the Mavs) or if they start way out on the wing and drive in toward the basket (Wade). Dirk seems to get more foul calls from being hit shooting a jumper than he does driving in to the basket. Duncan also seems to have trouble getting foul calls if he starts farther out and makes a move into the lane. There's basically a no man's land for foul calls, especially for bigger players.

Obstructed_View
04-17-2007, 11:34 AM
yeah tim's achilles heel is not playing
:lol

I didn't know the officials could prevent him from even being on the team. Now that's power.

Obstructed_View
04-17-2007, 11:36 AM
nope. watched it. refs weren't as bad as nba.
Ah. That statement speaks volumes about you.

LakerLanny
04-17-2007, 11:50 AM
yeah tim's achilles heel is not playing

Sorry, I meant the Olympics when he cried all the time but didn't have the NBA refs to save the day.

Hey, was Joey "The Gnome" Crawford out of line? Sure he was. But you are kidding yourselves if you don't think Tim Duncan is one of the most referee coddled, ref dependent players in the league today.

He is like a kid. You spoil them rotten (in my kid's case with toys, in Tim's with calls in his favor) and instead of appreciating it, they just want more! :madrun

angel_luv
04-17-2007, 11:53 AM
If my letter to the referee's association helps get Crawford in the trouble he deserves, do I get a Spur? :angel

I ought to - there was no passive agressive putting a password on my computer type of response this time.
I let the sucker know! :lol

Obstructed_View
04-17-2007, 12:00 PM
eyes that see?
Okay. I guess your eyes missed the Xavier/Ohio State game?

Supergirl
04-17-2007, 12:07 PM

See, generally I agree with this, but that's why the second T Duncan got is so outrageous. He WASN'T complaining. He was laughing on the bench. Crawford had no right to legislate what Duncan can and can't do while sitting on the bench. He didn't say anything to him, he didn't DO ANYTHING. And he still got thrown out of the game.

For that, Crawford deserves to be shut down for the season.

FromWayDowntown
04-17-2007, 12:08 PM
Sorry, I meant the Olympics when he cried all the time but didn't have the NBA refs to save the day.

Hey, was Joey "The Gnome" Crawford out of line? Sure he was. But you are kidding yourselves if you don't think Tim Duncan is one of the most referee coddled, ref dependent players in the league today.

He is like a kid. You spoil them rotten (in my kid's case with toys, in Tim's with calls in his favor) and instead of appreciating it, they just want more! :madrun

So, essentially, you're contending that Tim Duncan wouldn't be a successful NBA player -- or as successful -- if he wasn't "coddled" by officials? That has to be among the most preposterous takes I've ever read on this board.

LakerLanny
04-17-2007, 12:10 PM
So, essentially, you're contending that Tim Duncan wouldn't be a successful NBA player -- or as successful -- if he wasn't "coddled" by officials? That has to be among the most preposterous takes I've ever read on this board.

As not a.

He gets more touch fouls than any big man I have ever seen, it is a joke.

If Shaq went to the line on the same touch fouls Duncan gets, he would shoot 40 ft's a game. And I say that as a guy who can't stand Shaq.

Extra Stout
04-17-2007, 12:14 PM

I don't think you back off discipline of a malperforming employee because you are afraid they will act even worse. If they do so, then you fire them.

carina_gino20
04-17-2007, 12:15 PM
As not a.

If Shaq went to the line on the same touch fouls Duncan gets, he would shoot 40 ft's a game. And I say that as a guy who can't stand Shaq.

cough*Dirk*cough

FromWayDowntown
04-17-2007, 12:20 PM
As not a.

It's good to know that without officials, Tim Duncan wouldn't have 3 titles, 3 Finals MVPs, 2 MVPs, multiple First Team All-NBA and First Team All-Defense awards. I'm curious what portion of his resume is official-created, though. Quantitatively, of course.

ambchang
04-17-2007, 12:26 PM
As not a.

Never mind the fact that Duncan is only shooting 7.1 FTA this year, less than Shaq with far more FGA and minutes, never mind that he is one of the best inside players, and is getting less FTAs than Michael Redd, Wade, Kobe and Gilbert Arenas, all perimeter players, or 3rd tier level players like Eddy Curry and Andre Igoudala.
When you go out and try to spew crap, do yourself a favour and at least look at the numbers, rather than go about and state your opinions as facts.
Out of interest, how many Spurs games have you watched this year? More importantly, did you watch the Mav-Spurs game where Duncan was ejected?

FromWayDowntown
04-17-2007, 12:29 PM
To be fair to LakerLanny, I'm certain that he's talking about past years and not this year.

IIRC, LL is talking mostly about things like the 2003 WCSF series.

Obstructed_View
04-17-2007, 12:41 PM
As not a.

I call complete BS on your existence. You're a troll.

Fernando TD21
04-17-2007, 02:31 PM

Right, he is the only NBA player that played badly in the olympics. And that happened because there were no refs to help him. /NOT
In the NBA, Kobe is at least as "spoiled" as Tim.

As not a.

It's good to know that without officials, Tim Duncan wouldn't have 3 titles, 3 Finals MVPs, 2 MVPs, multiple First Team All-NBA and First Team All-Defense awards. I'm curious what portion of his resume is official-created, though. Quantitatively, of course.

Never mind the fact that Duncan is only shooting 7.1 FTA this year, less than Shaq with far more FGA and minutes, never mind that he is one of the best inside players, and is getting less FTAs than Michael Redd, Wade, Kobe and Gilbert Arenas, all perimeter players, or 3rd tier level players like Eddy Curry and Andre Igoudala.
When you go out and try to spew crap, do yourself a favour and at least look at the numbers, rather than go about and state your opinions as facts.
Out of interest, how many Spurs games have you watched this year? More importantly, did you watch the Mav-Spurs game where Duncan was ejected?
Double owned. :clap :lol

LakerLanny
04-17-2007, 03:06 PM
Duncan shouldn't have been on the Olympic team anyway, he isn't American.

That said, you will see Kobe lead the USA to gold despite whatever the refs do in the next Olympics.

To say Kobe is coddled when he is being suspended on plays where no foul is even called is past ludicrous. Stick to football Tex.