PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Insider: Will NBA Whistle Crawford?

bigfish22
04-17-2007, 01:22 AM
Will NBA whistle Crawford?
posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 | Print Entry

A little over a year ago, a little birdie who has been around the NBA almost as long as I have been alive told me a little story about Joey Crawford, who ejected Tim Duncan from Sunday's Mavs-Spurs game for laughing -- yes, laughing -- from the bench.

For the blow-by-blow of what happened Sunday, including Duncan's claim afterward that Crawford challenged him to a fight, be sure to check out Marc Stein's latest blog entry.

What I'm here to give you is a little Insider background, as well as the following quasi-prediction: It would not surprise me if Crawford loses his whistle for the upcoming postseason.

Here's why:

That little birdie I spoke of before told me that Crawford was summoned to the league office in New York by Commissioner David Stern nearly four years ago following his antics in Game 2 of the 2003 Western Conference finals.

Crawford had called four technical fouls in the first 10 minutes, 11 seconds and ejected Mavs coaches Don Nelson and Del Harris. Here's the way I reported that story way back then when I was the pool reporter who interviewed Crawford in the officials' locker room after the game.

Stern, from what I was told, was livid that Crawford had become the story of Game 2, and Crawford was told that if it ever happened again, the consequences would be serious.

Well, it sure looks like Crawford is the story again, and I'm eager to see how Stern and NBA VP of basketball operations Stu Jackson handle this.

Nothing infuriates Stern like seeing the words "conspiracy theory" in print, but Stein has already gone there, and a lot of others are going to be going there, too -- especially if Crawford ends up being assigned to a Spurs game during the playoffs.

The easiest way to prevent that from happening would be for Stern to give Crawford an early summer vacation, explaining to the 56-year-old how undignified it is to be challenging players to fights and how he was warned before to knock off the shenanigans.

Yes, Crawford has 31 years of NBA experience. Yes, he has worked 38 NBA Finals games, 266 postseason games and more than 2,000 games total. And yes, he is from the first family of American officiating. (Joey is the son of retired Major League Baseball umpire Shag Crawford and the brother of veteran ump Jerry Crawford.)

He can be a joy to be around on his good days, but Crawford can become bigger than the game itself when he's feeling ornery, and his temper might one day end up having an affect on which team wins the championship. San Antonio lost yesterday's game by missing its final nine shots in the final 6:30 with Duncan unavailable. I dare say the Spurs' finish would have been different had Duncan not been booted, and it'd be a disaster to have the same thing happen if these teams meet in the Western Conference finals.

After all the debate about the officiating we went through last June following Dirk Nowitzki's questionable foul against Dwyane Wade late in Game 5 of the NBA Finals, does the league really need to put itself in harm's way by assigning the bombastic and confrontational Crawford to officiate?

I don't think Stern and Jackson are willing to take that chance, which is why I've got a hunch we may have seen the last of Joey Crawford this season.

rayray2k8
04-17-2007, 01:32 AM
somebody beat you to it.
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64368&page=1&pp=26
Did you even check if this was already posted?

spurs1990
04-17-2007, 01:54 AM
whatever nicks fan.

thanks for the info bro.

rayray2k8
04-17-2007, 01:59 AM
right... a "knicks" fan posting in a spurs forum..
You're an idiot.
How about I change it to the sonics?? that make you feel better?

rayray2k8
04-17-2007, 02:01 AM
there you go. :D

bigfish22
04-17-2007, 03:11 AM
somebody beat you to it.
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64368&page=1&pp=26
Did you even check if this was already posted?

I appologize if it already has. There has been so many threads on this issue in the last 36 hours I can't even remember where I posted what comments to follow up on. But I do believe that the article in the link above is different from this Insder article. In fact, the article I posted makes reference to the article in your link.

spurs1990
04-17-2007, 03:15 AM
I apologize princess. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Pls tell your the fans on your teams boards that we Spurs fans are really good people and care about other fans lame comments.

Good night.

greywheel
04-17-2007, 04:55 AM
I appologize if it already has. There has been so many threads on this issue in the last 36 hours I can't even remember where I posted what comments to follow up on. But I do believe that the article in the link above is different from this Insder article. In fact, the article I posted makes reference to the article in your link.

That thread contains several articles. This one is on page 2.

Trainwreck2100
04-17-2007, 06:12 AM
I apologize princess. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Pls tell your the fans on your teams boards that we Spurs fans are really good people and care about other fans lame comments.

Good night.

Shutup

Man of Steel
04-17-2007, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the thread.

BTW--this morning, 24 hours after this article appeared, several interesting comments appeared in response.

Here they are:

ESPN.com | MyESPN | Member Services Welcome, Gabe | Sign Out

Monday, April 16, 2007
Will NBA whistle Crawford?

A little over a year ago, a little birdie who has been around the NBA almost as long as I have been alive told me a little story about Joey Crawford, who ejected Tim Duncan from Sunday's Mavs-Spurs game for laughing -- yes, laughing -- from the bench.

For the blow-by-blow of what happened Sunday, including Duncan's claim afterward that Crawford challenged him to a fight, be sure to check out Marc Stein's latest blog entry.

What I'm here to give you is a little Insider background, as well as the following quasi-prediction: It would not surprise me if Crawford loses his whistle for the upcoming postseason.

Read full article

Add Comment (22)

Report Violation | Ignore Userdog210 (4/16/2007 at 4:59 AM)

David Stern better discipline Crawford. The last thing the NBA needs is a self-righteous refferee who's affecting the outcome by calling technical fouls. Crawford ought to just deal with the complaining; it's in no way personal until he makes it personal. I don't think he should officiate the Finals or any Western Conference playoff games. He should get a few early Eastern Conference playoff games and that's it. And he should be on a short leash in those games. One more strike and he's done. I'm sick of NBA officials determining the outcome of games. It needs to stop. The NBA has an oppurtunity to set the proper precedent with this latest incident.

Report Violation | Ignore UserTrinity0629 (4/16/2007 at 5:49 AM)

i don't think David Stern has the guts to pull the plug on Joey Crawford. Taking him out of the postseason would only suggest to some critics that there is a conspiracy theory. Tim Duncan will be fined and Joey will be blowing his whistle in playoff games near you. Note to commissoner Stern: The best way to silence the WWE feel that your league has during the playoffs, is not to silence the players, but to do a better job of calling a fair game. For example maybe try not to give D-wade 96 foul calls in 6 games

Report Violation | Ignore Userron_boerger (4/16/2007 at 5:55 AM)

Crawford should be assigned to ref Grizz-Celtics games. Nothing else.

Report Violation | Ignore UserIgnarus (4/16/2007 at 5:57 AM)

I totally agree - there's no way that Stern can let the possibility of what happened in this essentially meaningless game happen in the playoffs. I didn't know of Crawford's disciplinary history, but it'd be so easy for Stern to simply make it an issue of him having challeneged a player to a fight and avoid a ruling on the technicals themselves, which would be harder to directly confront without making it a conspiracy-affirming issue. The officiating certainly can be crappy (see the Spurs-Pistons series a few years ago when each game was won PURELY on the merits of whether the refs called the game tight or loose) but it's also such a difficult sport of officiate, better than waterpolo but that's about it, that you don't want to undermine the refs and distract from the product. I'd say the "you wanna fight" garbage made Stern's call easy on this one.

Report Violation | Ignore UserIgnarus (4/16/2007 at 5:58 AM)

I'm not sure I'd stick him on Grizz-Celtics games if they both get Oden and Durant :)

Report Violation | Ignore Userislandgirljunk (4/16/2007 at 7:18 AM)

This little man has got to go. What he did by ejecting Tim from the game was no different than what happened last year in the playoffs - he absolutely influenced the out come of that match up as he did yesterday. One can only wonder, after all, they were playing in the land of the "grassy knoll" weren't they?? Hmmm...I've been to many a game that crawford has officiated and he's terrible, I don't care who his is daddy was and what sort of sporting lineage he comes from - he's unprofessional, always has been and he waddles around the court with the attitude of a short little man who always got picked last for a team. Who knows, maybe he's having dodge ball flash backs when he's out there - never the less, sunday proved that he is not fit to ref NBA games and Sterns has to cut him loose if he expects these playoffs to have any credibility and quite frankly, after some of the stunts I've watched refs pull in recent seasons I don't know if that would be enough to give the NBA playoffs any credibility. Too bad, a whole lot of folks pay a whole lotta money to watch these games, it's a shame. I don't think much of sterns, never have, he's the worse thing to happen to the NBA and the owners need to step up and give him a whistle. Bouncing crawford is the only choice he has - period. As for the game being hard to officiate - that's garbage, a foul is a foul is a foul - you call it on one end you call it on the other. you call it on the rookie you call it on the super star this junk about good for some not for others is what gives the game a bad rep. Sterns has determined that talking gets a tech, now we'll see if he thinks that laughing is an ejectable offense too. The fact is that regardless of the score posted at the end of yesterday's game Dallas lost, crawford cost them the game.

Report Violation | Ignore Useramosiii83 (4/16/2007 at 9:43 AM)

I don't expect officials to be perfect. The game is played fast, and its hard to make the right call all the time. I don't expect every foul to be called correctly, but calling technicals is something that can be controlled- this is rediculous. Crawford is known for going crazy at times, and its scary to think that this guy could be in the playoffs, selecting who he wants to win the finals. This is a bad situation.

Report Violation | Ignore Userlarryebbya7 (4/16/2007 at 10:25 AM)

Stern needs Crawford to give "no foul fouls" to Wade so he can try to get better ratings for the NBA Finals. The game is fixed in favor of who Stern wants on top. Right now, that is Wade. Conversely, they can hack away at KOBE and he rarely gets half the fouls called that are actually commited against him. The refs have been told to let um hack away at KOBE because Stern hates the idea of KOBE winning all those rings. He just doesn't like KOBE and the refs know they will be rewarded for supporting Stern's agenda. EXHIBIT NUMBER 1-2: How many players had suspensions for actions in games that were not whistled as flagrant 2s? Thank You. ONLY KOBE!!!! That was Stern's call, trying to slow down KOBE's roll.

Report Violation | Ignore Userdrlorenzana13 (4/16/2007 at 10:46 AM)

As a season ticket holder, I don't want to see a WWE-type soap opera (nice one, Trinity). I pay good money to see great players do great things. I can take my team losing a game if they are beaten by a better team, not a ref with attitude. And believe me, even a casual fan knows the names Joey Crawford and Steve Javie, and not in a positive way. Celebrity refs are fine for celebrity pro-ams, not professional leagues. My advice to everyone, write the league and let them know this type of garbage is going to hit the league where it hurts it and Mr. Stern the most - in the pocketbook. I don't want to watch this garbage, much less pay for it.

Report Violation | Ignore Usersunsfan1991 (4/16/2007 at 10:53 AM)

The NBA needs to do something about the bad referees, if something like last years playoffs happen again lots of fans are going to be pissed. I suggest they do like they did for the world cup, if the ref does a bad job they don't get another chance.

Report Violation | Ignore Usershahyanaly (4/16/2007 at 10:56 AM)

Crawford is experienced, yes. But it seems that he lets that fact get to his head. He is certainly not bigger than the game itself. If I did such antics at my job, I'd be fired in a second. It's also a shame that NBA doesn't publicize the penalties against officials. Of all sports, it seems that basketball has the most bluders when it comes to officiating. I understand that the refs need to ensure that the game doesn't get out of hand, but I don't care what Duncan said or did, Duncan was on the bench and not a part of the game at that point. Anything that Crawford did was out of emotion and personally directed at Duncan -- and a man like this should not be a part of this game...The fact that he has experience just doesn't justify the oh-so-many mistakes over the past few years.

Report Violation | Ignore Userbrandonhu84 (4/16/2007 at 11:29 AM)

I'm a big Dallas Mavericks fan and this blog brings back a lot of BAD memories of postseason antics that have been caused by Crawford. Crawford is one of the all-time great NBA officials, but this is ridiculous. We can sort of laugh about this one, but at the same time it's awful that the greatest NBA rivalry had a game spoiled by the early ejection. Nothing is better then watching two great teams fight it out but there is no question that the Spurs are a complete different team without Duncan. If there is any positive from this game it's that Crawford will more than likely not be officiating in the Playoffs and I can go to sleep at night that I won't have to relive all the bad memories of Crawford vs the Dallas Mavericks

Report Violation | Ignore Usergregorybhouston (4/16/2007 at 11:56 AM)

Look, Joey Crawford is a great ref...and this "vendetta" thing can't be real, can it? Personally, I think he should be sentenced to ref the Spurs - Nuggets series - every game. Signed - Denver fan

Report Violation | Ignore Userjeff1pena (4/16/2007 at 12:03 PM)

All,Crawford is emotionally unfit to referee a n NBA game objectively and professionally.He singlehadedly cheapened the game yesterday. I was disgusted that I had to turn it off.All fans should get a refund. And advertsiers should get their money back.Stern should remove Crawford.Provoking a player and shouting " do you want to fight " is only the writing on the wall that he has lost it.If a player did that he would have been ejected. No referee in any game should be allowed to do that or for that matter dictate evictions.I could see the ref that got punched by Nick Van Excel saying that but not Crawford...especailly to Tim Duncan who is, regardless of whining on calls, is a model nba player on and off the court...I might be less inclinedto argue this point it the player was Ron Artest or Van Excel a few years back....but what gives??Will the league protect its product and do the right thing and have crawford dismissed ?Crawford unfit."Stop laughing"...??? How insecure is Crawford?Thanks,Jeff

Report Violation | Ignore UserKingDan210 (4/16/2007 at 1:22 PM)

Quoted from this article, "I dare say the Spurs' finish would have been different had Duncan not been booted, and it'd be a disaster to have the same thing happen if these teams meet in the Western Conference finals." Last year when these two teams met in the playoffs, that exact situation played out. The refs took control of a chunk of the series. One example, in game 3 there was a very questionable blocking foul that was called late on Duncan, where Dirk sprained his ankle just before the alleged foul and literally fell into Duncan resulting in Duncan's 6th personal. These horrible calls are killing great basketball.

Report Violation | Ignore UserWiseBloods (4/16/2007 at 1:45 PM)

Duncan was behaving like a middle school student, snickering behind the teacher's back. He deserved to get tossed, and if what Hollinger said in his chat about Duncan & Pop being in the ref's face during every time out, he is flat out lying in his post game comments about not jawing with the officials. If that's the case, then he deserves a suspension as well for promoting the Crawford is out to get me / Vendetta angle and feeding the conspiracy theories. He deserves at the least a Van Gundy level 6 figure fine for publicly questioning the integrity of the officials. It will be very disappointing if he only gets the a Kidd like $25K for merely questioning their competence with the 3 blind mice comments. Suspend Crawford? Give him a medal for standing up to one of the biggest whiners in the league.

Report Violation | Ignore Userjpfarrell (4/16/2007 at 4:05 PM)

Crawford is outta control. Maybe he should take some Zoloft so he is a little more even-keeled.Oh, and about last year's finals: If you are taking jump shots, you're less likely to get a foul called against you than if you drive to the hole. And if someone is driving to the hole, take a charge. All the Mavs had to do last year was post someone right outside the circle and flop when Wade came in. But no, instead, they try to jump and block his shot, which didn't happen and resulted in a foul. Avery seemed like he was a little to proud to get his guys to draw a charge, but that's pretty much all they had to do. The only guy who was hitting the hole from the Mavs was Stackhouse, but he didn't start and he was limited by fouls because the Heat were drawing charges. Nuff said.

Report Violation | Ignore Userreveline (4/16/2007 at 6:38 PM)

I would personally like to see the refs swallow the whistle some during the playoffs, and let the players play. All the whistle blowing is dulling the game. Tell me. Does anyone want to see a free throw competition?

Report Violation | Ignore Userjimmygriggs (4/16/2007 at 9:25 PM)

Nobody who actually watched the game, instead of just reading press reports, can say that Duncan deserved to be ejected.

Report Violation | Ignore Userstinkmeaner (4/16/2007 at 10:40 PM)

Let's add Tony Brothers into the loop. Called that technical foul against the Golden State Warriors vs. Washington Wizards game.

Report Violation | Ignore User2jeter2 (4/16/2007 at 11:09 PM)

To often in sports these days the officials and referees actually believe that the fans pay to see them do their job, not the players. Its rather tiresome to see an umpire acting indignant after blowing a call, then tossing the manager or player who just got screwed. Its even worse when the ump/ref/officials boss then covers for the offending party. We as fans know when you blow a call, we don't need some suit telling us that they did nothing wrong.

Report Violation | Ignore UserStocktontoMalone1313 (4/16/2007 at 11:36 PM)

Hey, WiseBloods, it's good to see they let refs post on this board. In my experience, they only people who would rush to the defense of such a heinous tyrant as Crawford are other refs. If a game in the NBA is close, you can count on an official taking it over and deciding the outcome. I LOVE THE NBA!!!

You must be an Insider to comment on this story. Register to become and Insider now.
Comments that include profanity, or personal attacks, or antisocial behavior such as "spamming" or "trolling," or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. We will take steps to block users who violate any of our terms of use. You are fully responsible for the content that you post.