PDA

View Full Version : Vince Young to appear on Madden 08 cover

mardigan
04-17-2007, 09:24 AM
Vince Young hopes to avoid 'Madden curse'
By Jim Wyatt
Gannett News Service

NASHVILLE, Tenn. "Vince Young has survived the so-called "SI cover jinx"; three times to be exact.

Can he escape the "Madden curse?" It looks like everyone will get a chance to find out this fall.

According to his agent, the Tennessee Titans quarterback has been told he'll appear on the cover of "Madden '08," the popular football video game. However, whether it's a coincidence or a curse, recently players have suffered from injury problems during the year they appeared on the cover.

Young's agent, Major Adams, said they didn't believe in jinxes.
"People said when they put Vince on the cover of Sports Illustrated, it was going to jinx him in the Rose Bowl game, and (Texas) won the national championship," Adams said. "We don't believe in stuff like that."

Officials from EA Sports wouldn't confirm Young is this year's choice for the cover, which was to be announced tonight on "Jimmy Kimmel Live" which airs at 11 p.m. on ABC.

Seattle Seahawks running back Shaun Alexander was on the cover of "Madden '07," and he broke a bone in his left foot early in the season. The past four cover players have been injured, including Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb, who suffered a sports hernia the season he was on the cover of "Madden '06." Before that, it was Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis (injured wrist) and Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick, who suffered a broken leg during an exhibition game in 2003 when he was on the cover.

"Being on the cover of Madden is such a big honor nowadays; no one ever turns us down because of (the so-called curse), that's for sure," said Chris Erb, director of marketing for EA Sports.

There has been plenty of speculation about who might be on this year's cover, with reigning NFL MVP LaDainian Tomlinson and Super Bowl MVP Peyton Manning considered favorites.

Young was the NFL's Offensive Rookie of the Year in 2006, when he guided the Titans to six straight wins at the end of the season.

"Everyone wants to be the Madden guy," Erb said. "The issue is the guys that have been on the cover tend to be the guys that are around the football more often, and football is a rough sport. We've had a string of unfortunate incidents, I guess you could say ... but we really don't believe in the jinx."

Guess he's done for the year

mardigan
04-17-2007, 09:59 AM
Hope his speed rating is higher on this years game

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-17-2007, 11:16 AM
And Chargers fans around the world rejoiced.

J.T.
04-17-2007, 12:10 PM
< Colts fans too.

Oh well, it was nice knowing you Vince.

Horry For 3!
04-17-2007, 01:30 PM
Don't do it Vinceeeeeeee

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-17-2007, 01:41 PM
Too late, Vince's hand has grown grotesquely large.

http://www.whiterose.org/pete/blog/images/vincehands.jpg

Pistons < Spurs
04-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Hopefully the jinx comes into play early in the season. I don't want to hear people drooling over this guy all season long. Annoying as hell to hear so much praise for an A+ athlete .... but a C+ QB

BeerIsGood!
04-17-2007, 03:20 PM
NOOOOOOO Vince!!!

Oh well, at least they didn't let him do that while he was in college.

BeerIsGood!
04-17-2007, 03:21 PM
Hopefully the jinx comes into play early in the season. I don't want to hear people drooling over this guy all season long. Annoying as hell to hear so much praise for an A+ athlete .... but a C+ QB

I'm sure everyone would much rather drool over the likes of Jon Kitna.

Pistons < Spurs
04-17-2007, 03:45 PM
I'm sure everyone would much rather drool over the likes of Jon Kitna.

LOL good try! But I'm no Kitna fan, nor much of a Lion fan.

mardigan
04-17-2007, 03:53 PM
LOL good try! But I'm no Kitna fan, nor much of a Lion fan.
Then who?

Pistons < Spurs
04-17-2007, 04:06 PM
I'm a Chiefs and Colts fan.

So you guys can piss on Damon Huard if you'd like! LOL

mardigan
04-17-2007, 04:15 PM
I'm a Chiefs and Colts fan.

So you guys can piss on Damon Huard if you'd like! LOL
Huard is solid, but from what Ive heard he wont even be the starter next year, Croyle will. If Huard had played in the Playoffs last year they might have won

dallaskd
04-17-2007, 04:41 PM
Sweet!

stretch
04-17-2007, 05:22 PM
You forget to mention he's also an A+++ winner, which is what matters most for a QB.

Pugglekicker_21
04-17-2007, 05:26 PM
vince Young's an All Pro as a rook, and he beat the best team ever in college, and then he defied logic and turned into the Titans leader, so I think he can beat the curse

SAtown
04-17-2007, 06:45 PM
Damnit! I was hoping the Colts would win the SB last year so that maybe Manning could be on the cover this year. Oh well, at least we enjoyed at least one good season from Young last year. Bye bye Vince

mardigan
04-17-2007, 06:49 PM
Damnit! I was hoping the Colts would win the SB last year so that maybe Manning could be on the cover this year. Oh well, at least we enjoyed at least one good season from Young last year. Bye bye Vince
On PTI Kornheisser suggested that he should just take the next year off :lol

THE ONE AND ONLY
04-17-2007, 06:50 PM
its not a curse its a cuss
and Vince Young will run all over that nonsense

T-Pain
04-17-2007, 07:48 PM
im happy VY made the cover, didnt think it was gonna happen this early...

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-18-2007, 12:49 PM
http://www.cnbc.com/id/18175081

LaDainian Tomlinson Turns Down Madden:

If you believe everything you read, you would have thought that San Diego Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson was just lucky enough not to get the Madden cover endorsement. Electronic Arts officially announced last night that Tennessee Titans quarterback Vince Young would grace the cover of the next version of the jinxed popular video game. "Vince was the guy all along," EA's director of marketing Chris Erb told the San Diego Union-Tribune today.

Except that's not exactly the case. Multiple industry sources have told me that Tomlinson, in fact, was asked of his interest, was presented with an offer, and told Electronic Arts he was not interested. Tomlinson's turning down of Electronic Arts, we're told, doesn't have much to do with the highly-publicized curse, which has been attributed to the recent misfortune of Michael Vick, Donovan McNabb and Shaun Alexander. It has more to do with the fact that the people at Electronic Arts know that, for many, their cover is seen as the "Wheaties box endorsement" -- in that athletes are usually so honored they are willing to do it for less than market value. Tomlinson wasn't.

The deal usually pays the cover athlete $100,000 to $200,000 and requires multiple appearances to pump up the game. Since the Madden game sort of sells itself, the athlete on the cover doesn't really matter that much, but expect more NFL stars to turn down the cover in the future, not because of the curse, but because the price is just too low.

A Tomlinson fan named Nick Cupolo actually started Saveltfrommadden.com, hoping that one of his favorite players didn't take the endorsement deal for fear he'd fall victim to the curse. Cupolo wrote on his online petition, "With everyone's help, I plan to forward this petition to Electronic Arts to try and convince them to choose another candidate for the cover of Madden NFL 08." But make no mistake, in the end, it was Tomlinson who made the decision.

johngateswhiteley
04-18-2007, 05:44 PM

yep, and b/c of the curse people are going to see just how good he isn't.

mardigan
04-18-2007, 05:47 PM
yep, and b/c of the curse people are going to see just how good he isn't.
better than Lienart

TheSanityAnnex
04-18-2007, 05:51 PM
http://www.cnbc.com/id/18175081

LaDainian Tomlinson Turns Down Madden:

If you believe everything you read, you would have thought that San Diego Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson was just lucky enough not to get the Madden cover endorsement. Electronic Arts officially announced last night that Tennessee Titans quarterback Vince Young would grace the cover of the next version of the jinxed popular video game. "Vince was the guy all along," EA's director of marketing Chris Erb told the San Diego Union-Tribune today.

Except that's not exactly the case. Multiple industry sources have told me that Tomlinson, in fact, was asked of his interest, was presented with an offer, and told Electronic Arts he was not interested. Tomlinson's turning down of Electronic Arts, we're told, doesn't have much to do with the highly-publicized curse, which has been attributed to the recent misfortune of Michael Vick, Donovan McNabb and Shaun Alexander. It has more to do with the fact that the people at Electronic Arts know that, for many, their cover is seen as the "Wheaties box endorsement" -- in that athletes are usually so honored they are willing to do it for less than market value. Tomlinson wasn't.

The deal usually pays the cover athlete $100,000 to $200,000 and requires multiple appearances to pump up the game. Since the Madden game sort of sells itself, the athlete on the cover doesn't really matter that much, but expect more NFL stars to turn down the cover in the future, not because of the curse, but because the price is just too low.

A Tomlinson fan named Nick Cupolo actually started Saveltfrommadden.com, hoping that one of his favorite players didn't take the endorsement deal for fear he'd fall victim to the curse. Cupolo wrote on his online petition, "With everyone's help, I plan to forward this petition to Electronic Arts to try and convince them to choose another candidate for the cover of Madden NFL 08." But make no mistake, in the end, it was Tomlinson who made the decision.

You didn't think this deserved its own thread like me?:lol

Mods, delete mine if you are bored.

johngateswhiteley
04-18-2007, 06:34 PM
better than Lienart

not a chance.

mardigan
04-18-2007, 06:39 PM
not a chance.
:lol I guess we will see next year. Lienart will probably have a pretty damn good year next year as well

TheSanityAnnex
04-18-2007, 06:41 PM
As of now, they both are mediocre.

Kevin Blackistone
04-19-2007, 04:18 PM
Anyone else think Phillip Rivers is going to have a slump year?

mardigan
04-19-2007, 04:42 PM
I dont, but I think that they def have to draft a reciever in the 1st round this year. I dont think there is a team in the NFL with a worse reciever situation. Got to get a Bowe or Meachem in there. But Rivers is a stud, I think he will only get better

John Patrick
04-19-2007, 05:03 PM
Im content with either Michael Grifiin or Dwayne Bowe, or if thats not possible then I guess Brandon Merriweather if he doesnt pull a Pacman, or Robert Meachem, who at this point may actually fall out of the first round cause I havent seen him mentioned in any so far...

Well maybe one or two.

mardigan
04-19-2007, 05:49 PM
Im content with either Michael Grifiin or Dwayne Bowe, or if thats not possible then I guess Brandon Merriweather if he doesnt pull a Pacman, or Robert Meachem, who at this point may actually fall out of the first round cause I havent seen him mentioned in any so far...

Well maybe one or two.
Meachem def will not fall out of the 1st, his combine 40 time put him in the first for sure, guy is going to be s stud. I think the recievers that will be there will be Bowe, Rice, Gonzalez, maybe, and I stress maybe Jarrett. Also, Steve Smith, Jarretts teamate probably wont be a first round pick, but he will be a stud. There is also Jason Hill from Washington State, who could be a great pick for you guys in the second. I really think that at the point where you guys are drafting, that there will be a better safety or corner prospect than a reciever, so my guess is that would be what you guys would go for. Griifin would be a great pickup, or merriweather. I also like Eric Weddle in the later rounds, as well as Sabi Piscattelli and John Wendling, all guys that will probably go from the 3rd to the 4th

Pugglekicker_21
04-19-2007, 06:55 PM
^^^ Sabby is funny name but good player.

younger faster version of JOHN lynch.

at first I thought he was slow but he had a 4.4 at the combo.

Burn531
04-20-2007, 12:29 AM
http://sportsmedia.ign.com/sports/image/article/781/781574/vince-young-interview-20070418011621368-000.jpg

Looks cool.

Horry For 3!
04-20-2007, 01:27 AM
vince doesn't have tattoos does he?
Yeah, he has had tattoos since his days at Texas.

T Park
04-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Vince young is a mediocre quarterback?

what more genius lines will 49er fan come up with.

TheSanityAnnex
04-20-2007, 03:53 PM

Don't remember a 49er fan making that comment.

TheSanityAnnex
04-20-2007, 03:56 PM
Meachem def will not fall out of the 1st, his combine 40 time put him in the first for sure, guy is going to be s stud. I think the recievers that will be there will be Bowe, Rice, Gonzalez, maybe, and I stress maybe Jarrett. Also, Steve Smith, Jarretts teamate probably wont be a first round pick, but he will be a stud. There is also Jason Hill from Washington State, who could be a great pick for you guys in the second. I really think that at the point where you guys are drafting, that there will be a better safety or corner prospect than a reciever, so my guess is that would be what you guys would go for. Griifin would be a great pickup, or merriweather. I also like Eric Weddle in the later rounds, as well as Sabi Piscattelli and John Wendling, all guys that will probably go from the 3rd to the 4th

I can't wait for draft day to see what A.J. pulls out of his hat again. I really think the Chargers could move up in the draft with a Michael Turner trade in the works. If A.J. gets a hold of a top pick that spells trouble for the rest of the league.

mardigan
04-20-2007, 03:59 PM
I can't wait for draft day to see what A.J. pulls out of his hat again. I really think the Chargers could move up in the draft with a Michael Turner trade in the works. If A.J. gets a hold of a top pick that spells trouble for the rest of the league.
Well, I really wouldnt doubt a draft day trade for Turner with the Bills or Titans to move up to either the 19 (Ithink) or the 12th pick. Either one of those picks could get an already Super Bowl caliber team a player ready to contribute immediately. They are going to be really, really good next year.

Unless Norv fucks it up

TheSanityAnnex
04-20-2007, 04:14 PM
Well, I really wouldnt doubt a draft day trade for Turner with the Bills or Titans to move up to either the 19 (Ithink) or the 12th pick. Either one of those picks could get an already Super Bowl caliber team a player ready to contribute immediately. They are going to be really, really good next year.

Unless Norv fucks it up
It's possible they could get an even higher pick by combining their 1st round 30th with whatever 1st round pick came of the trade.

Fillmoe
04-20-2007, 04:20 PM

not a single 49er fan has posted in this thread until now....... T HOMO

mardigan
04-20-2007, 04:21 PM
not a single 49er fan has posted in this thread until now....... T HOMO
Why you got to bring my boy Romo into this?

Fillmoe
04-20-2007, 04:23 PM
t parks name is t homo. it just so happens thats tonys name too

TheSanityAnnex
04-20-2007, 04:59 PM
:sleep

johngateswhiteley
07-31-2007, 08:41 PM
...people are starting to look at what vince young did last year, which wasn't much, and analysts on the radio are starting to predict he will take a step back this year. funny part is, he wasn't even good last year.

stretch
07-31-2007, 10:27 PM
...analysts on the radio are starting to predict he will take a step back this year.

and where did you hear this from? I would really like to know who says this shit, other than that faggot, Merrill Hoge. Please, inform us all, otherwise you are full of shit.

O-Factor
07-31-2007, 10:32 PM
come on, Vince will break that curse, he's done everything else hasn't he.

stretch
07-31-2007, 10:41 PM
funny part is, he wasn't even good last year.

Well, if going 8-4, with 4 4th quarter comebacks, barely missing the playoffs, and being second in a good division with the Super Bowl Champions (beating them once, and very nearly beating them twice) in the harder conference means not being "even good", then i would love for my quarter back to not be "even good". teams like the Cardinals should love the idea of having such a guy, considering they are a team who plays in the easier conference, the worst division in football, and are loaded with talent, but end with one of the worst records in football, and dead last in their division.

you lick too much ass. get the fuck out, faggot.

J.T.
08-01-2007, 03:22 PM
Thread should be called "Vince Young to break throwing arm in practice"

Don't ever say Madden won't get you. He is going to get owned by the curse so hard.

BeerIsGood!
08-01-2007, 03:45 PM
Thread should be called "Vince Young to break throwing arm in practice"

Don't ever say Madden won't get you. He is going to get owned by the curse so hard.

I think the ESPN decided that the '05 USC Trojans would dominate the Madden Curse along with every college football team ever assembled. Vince whipped that team's ass, so he'll have no problem with Madden

J.T.
08-01-2007, 04:07 PM
I think the ESPN decided that the '05 USC Trojans would dominate the Madden Curse along with every college football team ever assembled. Vince whipped that team's ass, so he'll have no problem with Madden

You are going to get trolled so hard once Vince is owned by the Curse. Don't say I didn't warn you.

BeerIsGood!
08-01-2007, 04:18 PM
You are going to get trolled so hard once Vince is owned by the Curse. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Nobody will say one thing to you when he has a productive year. There is no reason to warn you.