PDA

View Full Version : NBA Players And Coaches Talk About The Fight

pooh
11-20-2004, 08:56 PM
Link (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/11/20/sports1937EST0776.DTL)

Reaction from around the NBA to Friday night's brawl between the Indiana Pacers and Detroit Pistons:

"Shocking, repulsive and inexcusable -- a humiliation for everyone associated with the NBA." -- NBA commissioner David Stern.

"No one can condone the level of incitement and violence we all witnessed. Clearly, there's a need to institute measures and safeguards to improve the safety of players and fans alike, to ensure that an incident like this never occurs again." -- G. William Hunter, executive director of the NBA players' association.

"That's not what we stand for. That's not what the league is about. That's not what the fans want to see. It's just one of those situations that never should have happened. It escalated, it got out of control." -- Orlando Magic coach Johnny Davis.

"I'm pro-NBA and image in total is important, that's fans and players -- the whole thing. It's all about the product, so anything that's negative toward the NBA, I've certainly got a problem with." -- Charlotte Bobcats coach Bernie Bickerstaff.

"It's bad. As players we're told regardless of what happens on the court you can't go into the stands. You just can't do it. Do I think the fans should share some of the blame? Yeah. But as professionals, as NBA players, you cannot go into the stands." -- Toronto coach Sam Mitchell.

"People are putting all the burden on (Ron) Artest, and I don't think that's fair. He's an easy target because of all the things he's been through. But some fans have gotten to a point where they think they can do or say anything. I think civility needs to try to make a comeback." -- Houston Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy.

"A guy hit me in the head with an aerosol can coming right out of the huddle, and it kind of got me a little bit unnerved. I should have been smarter, but I wasn't. I've always tried to remind players to stay on the bench if there's a fight." -- Utah coach Jerry Sloan, who as a player went into the stands to confront a fan in Kansas City.

"We've seen this stuff happen before with Monica Seles and different things, and baseball. It's not just the NBA. What can we do with this? That's something that the league has to talk about and that's what society has to talk about." -- Charlotte Bobcats guard Steve Smith.

"You can't blame a player for reacting that way. You can't blame anybody. ... He was protecting himself. Nobody wants to be disrespected like that. You can say what you want as long as you don't put your hands on somebody else or touch him. You can't blame him." -- Toronto Raptors guard Vince Carter defending Ron Artest.

"You prepare and train for an incident like that, but you never expect it. We, as NBA representatives, don't put our hands on the players. That's up to the in-house security. Our job is to monitor, supervise and assist." -- Mike Montgomery, NBA security official at Staples Center.

"The foul could have been avoided, the retaliation could have been avoided, it all could have been avoided. There's enough blame to go around. But I wasn't out there on the court, so I don't really know the emotion that was out there." -- Los Angeles Clippers forward Elton Brand.

"If you're a fan, and you step on the court, guys are going to come after you. I'm not saying the players did the right thing, but if you step on the court, then you are fair game. Players don't know if you're carrying a knife or something. You can hurt somebody." -- Cleveland Cavaliers center Zydrunas Ilgauskas.

"I just think in the long run, no isolated incident is bigger than the game. The NBA will survive." -- Orlando Magic forward Grant Hill.

Marcus Bryant
11-20-2004, 09:02 PM
"It's bad. As players we're told regardless of what happens on the court you can't go into the stands. You just can't do it. Do I think the fans should share some of the blame? Yeah. But as professionals, as NBA players, you cannot go into the stands." -- Toronto coach Sam Mitchell.

That says it all.

adidas11
11-20-2004, 09:04 PM
Disallow the Pistons fans from the stadium for the next 5 games. That'll teach their asshole fans a lesson.

boutons
11-20-2004, 09:05 PM
Before the Nets game/League Pass, a few of Nets sure sounded like that were almost tying to find a way to come down on the side of the players being justified for responding to the provocations.

whottt
11-20-2004, 09:07 PM
All few of the players keep mentioning that if fans step on the court they are fair game...I agree with that generally....but I have yet to see one of those guys saying that, say that the same thing applies to a player who goes into the stands...if they go up in the stands to beat on someone they are fair game, the fans have a right to defend themselves...so they(players) should give that some consideration before doing so.

Fans need to stay off the court and not throw things at players, no matter what...and players need to not go up into the stands no matter what.

If a player goes into the stands in an agressive manner he deserves his ass kicking...ditto a fan who goes on the court.

Marcus Bryant
11-20-2004, 09:07 PM
Why should all Piston fans pay for one nutjob fan and the fact that Artest and a couple of his teammates cannot handle themselves professionally? Dumb.

Medvedenko
11-20-2004, 09:13 PM
I'm embarrassed to be a fan of the NBA....this is just a sad day in our sport.

RobinsontoDuncan
11-20-2004, 10:43 PM
Link (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/11/20/sports1937EST0776.DTL)

"I just think in the long run, no isolated incident is bigger than the game. The NBA will survive." -- Orlando Magic forward Grant Hill.

IMO that says it all

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-20-2004, 10:50 PM
Well duh, the NBA won't fold over this. There will be hell to pay on all sides though (fans, league office, Pacers, Pistons).

ducks
11-20-2004, 11:23 PM
I just hope they do not raise ticket prices

jcrod
11-21-2004, 12:11 AM

Reaction from around the NBA to Friday night's brawl between the Indiana Pacers and Detroit Pistons:

"People are putting all the burden on (Ron) Artest, and I don't think that's fair. He's an easy target because of all the things he's been through. But some fans have gotten to a point where they think they can do or say anything. I think civility needs to try to make a comeback." -- Houston Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy.

"A guy hit me in the head with an aerosol can coming right out of the huddle, and it kind of got me a little bit unnerved. I should have been smarter, but I wasn't. I've always tried to remind players to stay on the bench if there's a fight." -- Utah coach Jerry Sloan, who as a player went into the stands to confront a fan in Kansas City.

"We've seen this stuff happen before with Monica Seles and different things, and baseball. It's not just the NBA. What can we do with this? That's something that the league has to talk about and that's what society has to talk about." -- Charlotte Bobcats guard Steve Smith.

"You can't blame a player for reacting that way. You can't blame anybody. ... He was protecting himself. Nobody wants to be disrespected like that. You can say what you want as long as you don't put your hands on somebody else or touch him. You can't blame him." -- Toronto Raptors guard Vince Carter defending Ron Artest.

"The foul could have been avoided, the retaliation could have been avoided, it all could have been avoided. There's enough blame to go around. But I wasn't out there on the court, so I don't really know the emotion that was out there." -- Los Angeles Clippers forward Elton Brand.

"If you're a fan, and you step on the court, guys are going to come after you. I'm not saying the players did the right thing, but if you step on the court, then you are fair game. Players don't know if you're carrying a knife or something. You can hurt somebody." -- Cleveland Cavaliers center Zydrunas Ilgauskas.

These say it all, especially Sloan's. Everybody respects him, and even he went to the stands. Everybody's at fault here! Not just one person.

Urko
11-21-2004, 01:11 AM
Finally a fight in thr NBA :lol . In Europe fight is on the menu all the time between fans! Well not in the basketball court but outside in front of the stadium you'll see a lot of fights between fans :makemyday.

Especially in football match! :pctoss

T Park
11-21-2004, 01:16 AM
Vince Carter's commens are typical of a spoiled punk who thinks they can do whatever they want.

Vince Carter, isnt it time for your OBGYN check up?

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-21-2004, 01:28 AM
I think they should make it like hockey. If the players get in a fight, let 'em beat the crap out of each other, then give them both Ts and eject them. Fun for the whole family.