PDA

View Full Version : White Takes Flight

traitoravery
04-18-2007, 03:12 AM
White Takes Flight
by Bill Schoening | April 17, 2007

I will openly admit that I don't frequent the website "YouTube" very often, but when the Spurs acquired rookie James White at the beginning of the season, my 15 year old son Karl dragged me into our computer room at the house to show me an impressive array of dunks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdhRgZXNo5w) by White during his college days at Cincinnati.

Sure, dunks are great, but team basketball at the NBA level is much more than flying through the air and spiking the ball through the hoop in a variety of ways. However, it was hard not to be impressed with White's athletic ability. In getting to know him over the next several months, I was also impressed by his love for the game, willingness to learn, and fun loving attitude.

As the Spurs finish the regular season with the three seed and a first round matchup with Denver assured, I've heard some media and fans say there's no real reason to watch the final two games. Yes, we're all looking forward to the postseason, but #33 is one of several reasons to watch. In his first NBA start against Memphis on Monday night, he slammed home a perfect alley oop lob from Jacque Vaughn, got eye level to the rim on a breakaway dunk, and hit six other shots from the field in a 17 point performance. Although he made some defensive mistakes he also flashed the form that makes him an intriguing prospect.

Whos that Singing?

jaespur21
04-18-2007, 03:37 AM
last time i saw a spur as talented.............was Sean Elliott

bigfish22
04-18-2007, 04:15 AM
He lost that McDonalds All American Dunk Contest in 2001 to David Lee of the Knicks. He had the best dunks of the contest, but he missed them when he needed them.

That be R.Kelly on the track.

Jayem
04-18-2007, 05:24 AM
http://dunkers23.googlepages.com/jameswhite

Borosai
04-18-2007, 06:17 AM
James White!

cambrad
04-18-2007, 10:10 AM
James White!

Who?

Borosai
04-18-2007, 10:46 AM
Who?

James White!

spurs1990
04-18-2007, 12:01 PM
anyone know why he xferred from Florida?

PerforatedNeckline
04-18-2007, 12:29 PM
anyone know where we can see white's dunks from the memphis games? they weren't on the nba.com highlights.

T Park
04-18-2007, 12:35 PM
:lmao @ borosai's sig

Darkwaters
04-18-2007, 01:34 PM
anyone know where we can see white's dunks from the memphis games? they weren't on the nba.com highlights.

youtube?

bigfish22
04-18-2007, 01:44 PM
"I'm definitely happy I made the switch," said White, who transferred to UC after playing his freshman season at Florida. "It seemed like I really couldn't be myself there.

"You're just allowed to be yourself here more; you don't get no gripes or anything."

White, a versatile 6-7 swingman, has started 29 of 32 games and is averaging 10.4 points, 4.8 rebounds and 3.2 assists for the Bearcats.

He transferred to UC after averaging 6.1 points and 2.9 rebounds for Florida, which defeated UK in the finals of the Southeastern Conference tournament Sunday.

The difference between playing for Huggins and other coaches is that the only complaining the head coach does is when players aren't performing on the court, White explained.

"Huggs is a guy who will let us really be ourselves and be grown men," White said. "A lot of top programs, they're uptight, real strict, things like that. As long as we go out there and play and do what he asks us to do, we're straight."