PDA

View Full Version : Karl may attempt another psych-out connection with San Antonio

TMTTRIO
04-18-2007, 09:30 AM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...490677,00.html

Karl may attempt another psych-out connection with San Antonio
By Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News
April 18, 2007

SAN ANTONIO - Looks as if George Karl will have to think of a new tactic this time against the San Antonio Spurs.
Two years ago, when the Nuggets faced the Spurs in the first round of the playoffs, the coach resorted to what he called "gamesmanship." After a Game 3 loss, he ripped Spurs guard Manu Ginobili, calling his style "ugly" and "hard to watch" because he "throws his arms up and throws his elbows into us."

Karl was doing anything he could to slow Ginobili, including the hope of getting help from officials. But with Ginobili averaging 21 points, the Spurs won the next two games to close the best-of-seven series in five.

"Didn't work," Karl said of his strategy. :lol

Now, as the Nuggets prepare to face the Spurs in the first round, Karl said, "I'll try something else."

Ginobili, who still gets booed at the Pepsi Center, took no offense with what Karl did, even though he said it was the "first time I'd really been criticized like that." Ginobili knew Karl was trying to be strategic.

"It wasn't something that was said because he was upset or anything," Ginobili said. "He thought about it and he thought it might help. . . . (Last season) he (asked) me if I understood what he tried to do. I said, 'No problem, coach. Do what you have to do.' " (sometimes I think Manu can be too nice)

Karl said he wanted to set matters straight with Ginobili.

"I was trying to throw something on a fire," Karl said. "Sometimes you get a fire going in a direction that can help your psyche. . . . I told him the next season, 'You're a hell of a player. I was just playing the psych game of the NBA playoffs.' "

There will be no need for psyche games tonight, when the Nuggets face the Spurs in a meaningless finale at the AT&T Center (6 MDT, Altitude). With many top players likely to be in street clothes, Spurs guard Brent Barry said it will be "like a preseason game."

The real action will get under way in Game 1 of the playoffs in San Antonio, most likely Sunday. Don't be surprised if some memories are stirred about what happened in the series two years ago.

The Nuggets have six players remaining from that team, although Kenyon Martin is out because of a right knee injury. The Spurs have seven players left, including four starters. Don't think the Spurs won't remember what happened in Game 1 in 2005, getting beat 93-87 at home.

"It made us wake up," Spurs forward Robert Horry said. "Sometimes fluke things happen to you. It actually helped us play better."

Devin Brown, a guard on that Spurs team who now plays for the Hornets, remembers usually reserved forward Tim Duncan calling a team meeting and getting as vocal as Brown had seen him.

"He said, 'We didn't do all this to get home-court advantage and to come in here and lose,' " Brown said. "It was the first time in three or four years Tim actually called a meeting and we were in there for an hour and a half."
Duncan's recollection of the meeting, which led to the fired-up Spurs crushing the Nuggets 104-76 in Game 2?

"I don't remember," he said. "Honestly, in 10 years (as a player), you lose your memory."

So maybe the Spurs don't recall every detail from two years ago. They have played plenty of series through the years and, in 2005, were on their way to a third NBA title in seven years.

It's much easier for those in Denver to remember. The Nuggets have played only three playoff series in the previous 11 seasons.

"That was a heck of a first game," forward Eduardo Najera said.

"We thought we had accomplished something. . . . But we didn't concentrate as well the second game. . . . But this is a whole different team now. We got Allen Iverson and Carmelo (Anthony) has more experience now."

Center Marcus Camby remembers San Antonio's Bruce Bowen frustrating Anthony two years ago. Anthony averaged 19.2 points on 42.2 percent shooting in the series.

"Bowen was doing a terrific job on Melo," Camby said. "But I think over the years, Melo has sort of figured him out a little bit, figured out different ways to score, to get him in foul trouble and stuff like that."

Anthony doesn't disagree.

"I'm much more mature than I was then," said Anthony, who says the Nuggets are "way better" than they were two years ago. "I know what I have to do for us to win, which is not scoring 30, 35 points a game, especially not in the playoffs. . . . I was young (in 2005) playing against a veteran guy like Bruce Bowen.

"Hopefully, I can go get my mental on right now."

Perhaps that, as well as the addition of Iverson, will serve the Nuggets well this time. Maybe Karl won't have to resort to gamesmanship.

T Park
04-18-2007, 09:37 AM
Wow I don't remember Duncan calling a meeting.

Jimcs50
04-18-2007, 09:41 AM

That is because you are senile.

Kevin Blackistone
04-18-2007, 09:42 AM
Every 1st round underdog says the same thing. "we're better now than we've ever been before". Right.

Sec24Row7
04-18-2007, 09:44 AM
Anthony doesn't disagree.

"I'm much more mature than I was then," said Anthony, who says the Nuggets are "way better" than they were two years ago. "I know what I have to do for us to win, which is not scoring 30, 35 points a game, especially not in the playoffs. . . . I was young (in 2005) playing against a veteran guy like Bruce Bowen.

I think I am now dumber for having read that phrase...

cheguevara
04-18-2007, 09:45 AM

maybe your mailbox was full and you didn't get the evite

polandprzem
04-18-2007, 09:47 AM
Good read

That was magical playoffs. Hopefully the spurs will win in 5 this series cause. Iver wants it preety bad. Melo is dangerous and Camby wants to get out of TD complex

AFBlue
04-18-2007, 09:50 AM
I think I am now dumber for having read that phrase...

:lol

My thoughts exactly...what an idiot.

T Park
04-18-2007, 09:51 AM
Haha you guys...

Holt's Cat
04-18-2007, 09:52 AM
Because it worked so well the first time...

boutons_
04-18-2007, 09:59 AM
Imagine trying to follow a "conversation" of Shawn Marion, Melo, and AI! :lol

cheguevara
04-18-2007, 10:04 AM

not to mention Kenyon Martin :lol

cambrad
04-18-2007, 10:18 AM
Hey guys please be quiet, I'm trying to get my mental on.

ShoogarBear
04-18-2007, 10:19 AM
maybe your mailbox was full and you didn't get the eviteIt didn't last an hour and a half. We were in there for forty-five minutes, tops.

Budkin
04-18-2007, 10:23 AM
Karl is full of shit about "gamesmanship." He's just trying to cover up the fact that he's a fat whiny sack.

RC's Boss
04-18-2007, 10:32 AM
It seems every year we are "threatened" in the 1st round (though last year was a bit scary). I remeber Memphis, Denver, Sac, and now Denver again?????? ROUND 1 IS A WRAP!

nkdlunch
04-18-2007, 10:39 AM
So now karl is pretending to be a better actor than a fat John Litgow???

He could not have pretended to be sweating like a pig and crying about Manu 2 years ago in the press conferences. he is saying that was premeditated? :lol that is BS

Even manu knows this, he might have said "it's ok" but he was actually thinking "whatever, you fat crybaby motherfucker"

NuGGeTs-FaN
04-18-2007, 10:41 AM
:lol @ those who think this is like '05

lefty
04-18-2007, 10:52 AM
:lol @ those who think this is like '05

Ok, Ok...we will win in 6 games this time ; happy?

NuGGeTs-FaN
04-18-2007, 10:54 AM
sure, if by 'we' you mean the Nuggets :smokin

sprrs
04-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Well hopefully it WILL be like '05, but with AI and Melo, it could be a tough series either way

NuGGeTs-FaN
04-18-2007, 11:02 AM
I think Camby and Nene will be the biggest difference. Camby has played 70 games which is alot for him and he has been a beast lately

Nene has lost like 500 pounds since preseason and has developed some nice post moves. He seems to score at will down low WHEN they get him the ball. His D on Duncan will be key.

AI and Melo will get their points but its their D that will count the most. If they dont play D then it will be tough.

The Nuggets bench is also stronger. Linas Kleiza is playing great, JR can catch on fire, Yak can play good D, Najera can hussle and DJ can warm benches like no other.

Russ
04-18-2007, 11:08 AM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...490677,00.html

Karl may attempt another psych-out connection with San Antonio

Two years ago, when the Nuggets faced the Spurs in the first round of the playoffs, the coach resorted to what he called "gamesmanship." [B]After a Game 3 loss, he ripped Spurs guard Manu Ginobili, calling his style "ugly" and "hard to watch" because he "throws his arms up and throws his elbows into us."

Karl was doing anything he could to slow Ginobili, including the hope of getting help from officials.

It's rough when you have to face a master psychologist like George Karl in the first round. :rolleyes

Even if the refs rally round the ghost of Joey Crawford, it won't be enough.

Sec24Row7
04-18-2007, 11:16 AM
So wait...

Iso plays for Melo and AI and no defense is supposed to scare me how?

nkdlunch
04-18-2007, 11:26 AM
I don't know why spur fans are talking so much shit. these will be very hard fought games.

Spurs could still win it in 5, but 5 very hard games.

and either Manu needs to step up as in 05 or Manu + Parker need to step it up a little bit or else we'll be in trouble.

Like Pop said, we still have 1 more gear to go and we will get there in the playoffs. we gotta get ther in round 1.

spursfan09
04-18-2007, 11:26 AM
We got to figure out away how Tim can laugh his way to a Karl suspension. We can't have him playing mind games on us during the playoffs....

NugzFan
04-18-2007, 11:27 AM
Every 1st round underdog says the same thing. "we're better now than we've ever been before". Right.

its hard to argue otherwise. this team now is better than the ones weve had in recent past.

NugzFan
04-18-2007, 11:28 AM

if you guys can follow conversations here, you would have no problem with them. :lol

Supergirl
04-18-2007, 11:42 AM
On paper Denver should be better (than they were last time the Spurs and Nuggets met, not better than the Spurs), but Spurs have dominated the Nuggets so far this year, even with Anthony and AI together.

The difference is the teams' styles. It's the same reason the Spurs dominate the Suns as well: defense trumps offense if you play it for 48 minutes. In a 7 game series, high-powered offense will win you 1 or 2 games, due to mental lapses or hot shooting (despite defense) but it will never, ever, win you a series.

Spurs in 5 or 6 games.

hater
04-18-2007, 11:55 AM
"Didn't work," Karl said of his strategy. :lol

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

love it!

Karl can go ahead and waste his time with this kind of crap. While Pop actually works on in-game strategies.

50 cent
04-18-2007, 12:35 PM
I'm sure Denver will get a game or 2 then they'll go fishin'.

boutons_
04-18-2007, 12:40 PM
Denver won't get 2 games.

Spurs go 2-0, split in Denver, back to SA to finish 4-1.

Mr. Body
04-18-2007, 12:54 PM
It's not hard to score when a team plays little defense. And underneath the trappings of a solid defense, San Antonio has some really good scorers. Ginobili, Parker, and Duncan, are all top notch offensive players.

NugzFan
04-18-2007, 01:41 PM
again our D isnt nearly as bad as you guys assume. we give up a lot of ppg because we play a high tempo game. more possessions = more shots = more points.

kskonn
04-18-2007, 01:54 PM
again our D isnt nearly as bad as you guys assume. we give up a lot of ppg because we play a high tempo game. more possessions = more shots = more points.
I agree with your point. However that is what makes the spurs a very tough oppenent for high tempo teams. They have very good transition defense and force teams to play half court thus limiting their possesions making them be more effecient, but they tend to be less efficient because they are not used to a half court game.

The other thing know one has pointed out is the spurs are a different team, mainly Parker is a better player, actually has a decent jumpshot which will make the defense work a lot harder when it comes to guarding our perimeter players. Plus I really think that Denver will have a very hard time scoring in the paint and will be forced to rely on jump shooting, I won't pretend to know if Denver is a good shooting team since I don't watch their games. Perhaps a Nugg fan can clue me in on their shooting skills.

However all that said melo is a much much much better all around player than he was in 05, and well we have all seen Iverson step up his game in the playoffs before.

nkdlunch
04-18-2007, 02:00 PM
we play a high tempo game.

what makes you so sure you will play this way in round 1. Spurs will try to dictate the tempo, and if successful, which is most likely, what will you do then?

50 cent
04-18-2007, 02:37 PM
The Spurs won't try to control tempo, they will.

If they can do it to PHX, they can easily do it to Denver.

boutons_
04-18-2007, 03:00 PM
Spurs can run and gun with Nuggs and Suns, if need be.

The Spurs can STOP the Nuggs and Suns, but the Nuggs and Suns can't stop the Spurs.

Rummpd
04-18-2007, 03:12 PM

"Anthony (I did not finish college) speak!

CubanMustGo
04-18-2007, 03:17 PM
"Mind games" = inferior coach of inferior team trying to figure out how to pull an upset (see Nelson, Don)

Obstructed_View
04-18-2007, 04:25 PM
Denver has even fewer flopping thug vaginas than they did last time. Leading mathmaticians will tell you that fewer flopping thug vaginas = even less defense. I was more worried about Boykins and Miller as a matchup problem than AI. The only fear I have is that the idiot fans in Denver will start throwing coins if they don't get their way.

Man I fuckin' LOVE playoff time.

davemaniscool
04-18-2007, 07:51 PM
Denver does not have the mindset to play defense for 48 minutes. They can play it in spurts but that's it. Once you take them out of their offense and slow the game down then frustration will set in. And I like Melo and AI's games. I think Melo has more game than Bron as shown in the World's.

Horry For 3!
04-18-2007, 07:52 PM
I hate George Karl.

Obstructed_View
04-18-2007, 10:55 PM
Funny how many ex Spur players are coaches in this league. Even more funny is that they top the list of coaches I hate the most.

cambrad
04-19-2007, 12:01 AM
I hate George Karl.

He doesn't care for you either.

milkyway21
04-19-2007, 12:33 AM
i can still remember there were a lot of trolls during that series
then, they started to disappear as soon as they lost the round.

some of them were so annoying but MANY were so funny i find them so ridiculous at times :D

Expect the trolls to slowly start their attack.

Horry For 3!
04-19-2007, 01:58 AM
He doesn't care for you either.
He doesn't know me to care and I don't care for you.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-19-2007, 02:48 AM
I'm already looking ahead to the Mavs to be honest :oops

toosmallshoes
04-19-2007, 04:13 AM
Oooooh, I'm so scared. George's trash talking worked so well last time.... :rolleyes