PDA

View Full Version : SI.com's Jack McCallum picks the Mavs to win it all.

flipcritic
04-18-2007, 02:44 PM
Let the arguments begin.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jack_mccallum/04/17/postseason.picks0423/

Picking the Postseason
The Pistons will coast through the East, but they will be no match for the mighty Mavericks in the Finals

With apologies to John Lennon: Imagine there's no conference/It's easy if you try.... In such a world, NBA playoff teams would be seeded 1 through 16 without regard to conference affiliation, meaning that the top-seeded Dallas Mavericks could meet the Phoenix Suns or the San Antonio Spurs (the second and third seeds, respectively) for the NBA championship. In such a world, we would not have to concern ourselves with the likes of the New Jersey Nets and the Orlando Magic, the bottom-feeders of the (L)Eastern Conference bracket.

Alas, we do live in a world of East and West, and so, with the postseason set to begin on Saturday, two major questions loom: First, is there anyone in the East who can make the Finals besides the Detroit Pistons? (Quick answer: no.) Which is another way of asking, Can we discount the defending champion Miami Heat? (Yes.) Second, is the West, which boasts five teams that are arguably as good as the Pistons, about to embark on one of the best postseasons ever, which is to say one as good as the 2006 postseason? (Yes.)

EASTERN CONFERENCE

So can anyone beat the Pistons? Certainly not the Cleveland Cavaliers. It has become increasingly apparent that the Cavs are the closest thing the NBA has to a one-man team, and LeBron James is nowhere near the singular force Michael Jordan was in his early years. Probably not the Chicago Bulls, the conference's best team since the All-Star break, who don't have the inside presence offensively to beat Detroit. And then there's the Heat, which in recent weeks has lost to the Indiana Pacers, the Philadelphia 76ers and the Charlotte Bobcats (twice). That does not suggest the pedigree of a playoff team, never mind an NBA champion.

In short, the Pistons will get back to the Finals, where they beat the Lakers in 2004 and lost to the Spurs in '05. They are grumpy and sometimes downright petulant, but they get stops, they execute their half-court offense when they need to, and they pulled off the deal of the year by plucking Chris Webber from the unemployment line. Plus, they are in the East.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

The best first-round matchup is between the Utah Jazz and the Houston Rockets. The Rockets' Tracy McGrady will finally lead a team to the second round, where the Mavericks await. Houston will be a popular upset pick against Dallas, but it's not going to happen: The Mavs are too good defensively to let McGrady and Yao Ming steal the series.

Ah, Suns-Spurs in the second round. One is tempted to say that it doesn't get any better for a conference semifinal, except that it will have to be good to top last season's San Antonio-Dallas seven-gamer. Though the Suns will have home court advantage, Tim Duncan's interior defense on Amaré Stoudemire gives the Spurs a slight edge.

Which leaves the no-holds-barred Texas showdown that Mavericks owner Mark Cuban has been angling for. Dallas has been the league's best team all season, and the Mavs' depth will get them by the Spurs and into their second straight championship series.

THE FINALS

Dallas in six. The hard part, after all, was getting out of the West.

Rip-Hamilton32
04-18-2007, 02:58 PM
so hes saying detroit vs mavs in finals, i think we would win if we met them in finals, they would try there shitty small ball

Findog
04-18-2007, 03:10 PM
Mavs don't play smallball Scarface

Flight3107
04-18-2007, 03:17 PM
so hes saying detroit vs mavs in finals, i think we would win if we met them in finals, they would try there shitty small ball

:lmao :lmao

Small ball????

:elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant

stretch
04-18-2007, 03:18 PM
this article was already posted in the Spurs forum.

Rip-Hamilton32
04-18-2007, 03:19 PM
:lmao :lmao

Small ball????

:elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant

yeah dirk is a little bitch so he is considered small

Flight3107
04-18-2007, 03:20 PM
yeah dirk is a little bitch so he is considered small

Is that really all you got?

:rolleyes

Rip-Hamilton32
04-18-2007, 03:21 PM
Is that really all you got?

:rolleyes

that is all i need :elephant

dirk4mvp
04-18-2007, 03:23 PM
....smallball

:lol

Flight3107
04-18-2007, 03:24 PM
that is all i need :elephant

Rasheed Wallace is a little bitch. Does that make them a small ball team?

Rip-Hamilton32
04-18-2007, 03:25 PM
Rasheed Wallace is a little bitch. Does that make them a small ball team?

sure why not

LEONARD
04-19-2007, 08:04 AM
FYI...Jack is on The Ticket in Dallas right now and he cast his MVP for Nash...

dg7md
04-19-2007, 08:39 AM
Not really surprised.

Shank
04-19-2007, 09:50 AM
FYI...Jack is on The Ticket in Dallas right now and he cast his MVP for Nash...

Wow.

He was on ESPN almost a week ago.
:spin

Chris Childs
04-19-2007, 10:19 AM
Who the fuck is Jack McCullum?

If the mavs SOMEHOW make it to the finals, they will be no match for the pistons.

IT"S TRUE.

LEONARD
04-19-2007, 10:39 AM
Wow.

He was on ESPN almost a week ago.
:spin

I'm sure The Ticket had bigger names in their guest slots then... ;)

Actually, I didn't realize that this was one of the 3 guys that announced their vote a while back til now... :oops

monosylab1k
04-19-2007, 11:05 AM
I'm sure The Ticket had bigger names in their guest slots then...

yeah like Michael Irvin calling in unannounced because he was listening to the Ticket :tu

But later that day ESPN radio had him call in to coddle him and powder his ass and tell him that everything was gonna be okay for lil' Mikey Irvin and that he was safe there and couldn't be hurt by the Big Bad Ticket anymore...

...funny how ESPN radio tries to pride themselves on not being Cowboys ass-kissers but then as soon as they get a chance they've got their nose right up Irvin's cornhole.

Shank
04-19-2007, 11:07 AM
No need to turn this into another one of 'those' threads.

I was just gigging Leonard.

monosylab1k
04-19-2007, 11:18 AM

aww but hijacking threads is my favorite thing to do...

LEONARD
04-19-2007, 11:40 AM

I know you were... :toast

btw, I'm tracking segments on The Ticket this week to see what % is sports talk for myself...well, the segments I catch anyway, which is most.

JamStone
05-04-2007, 09:43 AM
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

traitoravery
05-04-2007, 07:11 PM
Jack is an Idiot!!!

himat
05-04-2007, 09:07 PM
Detroit coasts through East but is no match for Golden State. :rolleyes

samikeyp
05-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Oops.