PDA

View Full Version : Tomlinson Walks Away From Madden

TheSanityAnnex
04-18-2007, 04:49 PM
LaDainian Tomlinson Walked Away From Madden Cover
http://www.aolsportsblog.com/2007/04/18/ladainian-tomlinson-walked-away-from-madden-cover/
Posted Apr 18th 2007 2:03PM by Michael David Smith
Filed under: Chargers, Titans, Breaking News
It turns out that Madden 2008 cover boy Vince Young was not EA Sports' first choice. Before Young got the video game endorsement, Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson was offered the opportunity to appear on the cover but turned it down.

According to CNBC (via Deadspin), Tomlinson doesn't believe in the Madden Curse, but he does believe that he deserves to be well compensated for the use of his image, and he balked at the payment EA Sports offered. Players who appear on the cover usually get $100,000 to $200,000 to make various promotional appearances to help sell the game, and Tomlinson didn't feel that was enough to make it worth his while.

Whatever his reasons, some Charger fans are very happy. :clap

TheSanityAnnex
04-18-2007, 04:51 PM
LT Says "No Thank You" To Madden 0 Views
www.deadspin.com
So, you know how Vince Young is on the cover of Madden 08, and how Chargers fans breathed deep sighs of relief? Well, according to Darren Rovell at CNBC, LaDainian Tomlinson was supposed to be the cover boy but turned it down.

Multiple industry sources have told me that Tomlinson, in fact, was asked of his interest, was presented with an offer, and told Electronic Arts he was not interested. Tomlinson's turning down of Electronic Arts, we're told, doesn't have much to do with the highly publicized curse, which has been attributed to the recent misfortune of Michael Vick, Donovan McNabb and Shaun Alexander. It has more to do with the fact that the people at Electronic Arts know that, for many, their cover is seen as the "Wheaties box endorsement" -- in that athletes are usually so honored they are willing to do it for less than market value. Tomlinson wasn't.

The deal usually pays the cover athlete $100,000 to $200,000 and requires multiple appearances to pump up the game. Since the Madden game sort of sells itself, the athlete on the cover doesn't really matter that much, but expect more NFL stars to turn down the cover in the future, not because of the curse, but because the price is just too low.

Eventually, if the asking price remains too low for big stars, we're going to see a kicker on the cover. Or maybe even Ethan Albright!

Pistons < Spurs
04-18-2007, 08:09 PM
I hope LT suffers the curse now.

mardigan
04-18-2007, 08:20 PM
Thats funny, like a deferred curse

dirk4mvp
04-18-2007, 09:29 PM
Titans were gonna be good this year too.

TheSanityAnnex
04-18-2007, 09:38 PM
:sleep

Horry For 3!
04-18-2007, 11:11 PM
Good choice for Tomlinson :tu

J.T.
04-18-2007, 11:39 PM
They'll get iced from the playoffs in the first round again next year anyway so wgaf.

ducks
04-19-2007, 09:03 AM
oh no i'm not being fairly compensated for my IMAGEEEEE!!!!!!!! only $100,000 to $200,000 to get my photo taken and make a few appearances!!!!!!!! nooooooo!!!!!!!!!! that would have bankrupted lt had he taken the offer :whew
being with his family

priceless

John Patrick
04-19-2007, 04:49 PM
^^ yes.

I thought LT was not all about money. then again after that pats game and the dancing at midfield.

I completely forgot about his dad dying..