PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix vs. LA Lakers: Remember last year?

pussyface
04-19-2007, 10:21 AM
I was surprised to see this series be very competitive last year following a stellar regular season by the Suns without Amare and the sustained mediocrity suggested by LA's feable win-loss record.

My question is this. Thinking back, who do you recall as being favored in this series? When PHX ultimately won, did you think
a.)'ok, that was expected the better team won out like we thought would happen'
or was it more like
b.) 'hey, that was pretty surprising. Like most people I expected the Lakers to advance even though they won way less games because hey they have Kobe and the Suns don't even have Amare this year so they look like one-and done.'

So help me out here... how did you percieve last years matchup?
I have a longstanding debate with a Suns Fan/Revisionist Historian.

any thoughts on this years series of course welcome as well, although I imagine we all agree that PHX has the edge in this one.

resistanze
04-19-2007, 10:25 AM
I personally don't know of anyone who thought the Suns were underdogs. Most people I know had Suns in 5.

Chris Childs
04-19-2007, 10:27 AM
I was surprised to see this series be very competitive last year following a stellar regular season by the Suns without Amare and the sustained mediocrity suggested by LA's feable win-loss record.

My question is this. Thinking back, who do you recall as being favored in this series? When PHX ultimately won, did you think
a.)'ok, that was expected the better team won out like we thought would happen'
or was it more like
b.) 'hey, that was pretty surprising. Like most people I expected the Lakers to advance even though they won way less games because hey they have Kobe and the Suns don't even have Amare this year so they look like one-and done.'

So help me out here... how did you percieve last years matchup?
I have a longstanding debate with a revisionist historian/suns fan who claims that last years defeat of LAL in 7 games in the first round was considered an upset. do you agree/find this laughable?
any thoughts on this years series of course welcome as well, although I suspect we all agree that PHX has the edge in this one.

Pretty much choice a.) but I thought it was over for the suns win the lakers were up 3-1. I knew the suns was going to win but I didn't they would win it in 7.

This series the suns will sweep the fakers and leave them in the dust.
The lakers team last year was better than this pathetic squad of today.
Kobe will put up tons of numbers but it won't be enough.

So suns in 4.

pussyface
04-19-2007, 12:36 PM
...i think this thread maybe isn't getting many replies because its so obvious and not controvercial at all that everyone expected the Suns to win last year as well (?)

last year after the suns got eliminated, that 'jmarkjohns' guy that a lot of people around her jerk off to got all caught up in some "suns are overacheivers this year" type of narrative and repeatedly claimed that them beating the Lakers without Amare last year was considered an upset and everyone looked at that matchup and said, 'hey two time mvp and 60 regular season wins be damned those guys have kobe bryant and an awful supporting cast, watch out.'

The distinguished spurstalk gentleman was so desperate to portray the Suns as the Little Sisters of the Poor that it was quite humorous.

When informed that the Suns were hefty favorites in the series according to Las Vegas oddsmakers, he responded that Vegas odds are not an indication of who can be considered favorite/underdog.

By the way, I am not making any of this for anyone out there in the contingent of 'jmarkjohn' fans that frequent these here parts.

Purple & Gold
04-19-2007, 12:48 PM
Here it is, the series I've been waiting for. This is the best matchup for the Lakers and I know the smart Suns fans are worried as hell. Soft ass Suns are going down this year in the first round.

Lakeshow in 6

bdictjames
04-19-2007, 12:53 PM
After Game 3 I had the Lakers winning it. But Bryant choked.

Xylus
04-19-2007, 02:57 PM
Here it is, the series I've been waiting for. This is the best matchup for the Lakers and I know the smart Suns fans are worried as hell. Soft ass Suns are going down this year in the first round.

Lakeshow in 6
The Suns are better equipped to handle the Lakers this year. It was your team's frontcourt that gave us problems. This year, we're nowhere near as undersized. Lamar Odom might still give us problems, but there's no way Kwame Brown hurts us like he did last year, and Bynum is years away from being dangerous.

Kurt Thomas will frustrate Bynum, and Amare will put up more dunks than Brown, Bynum, Turiaf, and Odom combined.

On top of that, you have no one capable of stopping Steve Nash, no one capable of stopping Leandro Barbosa, and Phil Jackson won't be prepared for the return of Boris Diaw.

RonMexico
04-19-2007, 03:56 PM
I remember last year a lot of people on the board had the Suns winning this one easilly. I specifically remember coming on here and saying, "phew, that was close" and getting into fights with people about the Suns having a lot of heart to come back from 3-1 down (let's not forget that Detroit also came back from 3-1 down against the Magic in the first round and then went on to win the title in '04).

Only a few people (Greg Anthony, maybe) had the Lakers possibly pulling an upset "if Kobe included his teammates." In fact, most had the Suns running away with this one after Game 1 last year. Then, a lot of fans started getting Laker fever after Game 3... until Bennett Salvatore put the Lakers up 3-1 and then people went back to Kobe hating. Then Raja Bell nearly lost the series again, but Leandro Barbosa saved them in Game 6. Game 7 was over in the 1st quarter, especially once Lamar Odom gave Leandro Barbosa a bloody lip with an elbow. Hell, even Bill Walton called out his son Luke for that flagrant foul on Boris Diaw in Game 3... that pretty much describes how unpredictable the series was.

Not surprised that pussyface has such a poor memory...

Texas_Ranger
04-19-2007, 04:09 PM
I don't think that LAL've any chances against the Suns, so I don't think that it will be so interesting like last year.
PHX in 5 games.

leemajors
04-19-2007, 04:12 PM
don't underestimate those afro puffs i saw turiaf sporting last night!

pussyface
04-19-2007, 05:00 PM
I remember last year a lot of people on the board had the Suns winning this one easilly. I specifically remember coming on here and saying, "phew, that was close" and getting into fights with people about the Suns having a lot of heart to come back from 3-1 down (let's not forget that Detroit also came back from 3-1 down against the Magic in the first round and then went on to win the title in '04).

Only a few people (Greg Anthony, maybe) had the Lakers possibly pulling an upset "if Kobe included his teammates." In fact, most had the Suns running away with this one after Game 1 last year. Then, a lot of fans started getting Laker fever after Game 3... until Bennett Salvatore put the Lakers up 3-1 and then people went back to Kobe hating. Then Raja Bell nearly lost the series again, but Leandro Barbosa saved them in Game 6. Game 7 was over in the 1st quarter, especially once Lamar Odom gave Leandro Barbosa a bloody lip with an elbow. Hell, even Bill Walton called out his son Luke for that flagrant foul on Boris Diaw in Game 3... that pretty much describes how unpredictable the series was.

Not surprised that pussyface has such a poor memory...

im pretty sure you just agreed with me, captain dorko.
my side of the argument is that the Suns were favored over the Lakers last year.

jmarkjohns is the contrarian in this case.

Bob Lanier
04-19-2007, 05:07 PM
let's not forget that Detroit also came back from 3-1 down against the Magic in the first round and then went on to win the title in '04
The Orlando series was in 2003, when the Pistons were starting Michael Curry and Cliff Robinson.

Findog
04-19-2007, 05:37 PM
Suns in 5

NBA Junkie
04-19-2007, 07:57 PM
If the Suns can get Amare off instead of falling in love with the 3 point shot in their half court sets, they'll handle the Lakers with ease.

Purple & Gold
04-20-2007, 12:16 PM
The Suns are better equipped to handle the Lakers this year. It was your team's frontcourt that gave us problems. This year, we're nowhere near as undersized. Lamar Odom might still give us problems, but there's no way Kwame Brown hurts us like he did last year, and Bynum is years away from being dangerous.

Kurt Thomas will frustrate Bynum, and Amare will put up more dunks than Brown, Bynum, Turiaf, and Odom combined.

On top of that, you have no one capable of stopping Steve Nash, no one capable of stopping Leandro Barbosa, and Phil Jackson won't be prepared for the return of Boris Diaw.
Bynum will hurt you guys this year. He may not be consistently dangerous this year, but he is still dangerous for an undersized team. We all know Amare can't guard his shadow and I don't see Thomas as being your savior. I still see the Lakers being able to go down low at will. Amare will get his, but he's gonna have to work for his points. It will not be as easy for him as you think. I see Kwame doing a great job on him defensively. And sorry there will be no return of Diaw. He's nowhere near the player he was last year. I doubt he will be a major factor in this series. As for Nash and Barbosa you are right. We have no answer for them. But you guys also have no answer for Kobe. I take the Phil/Kobe combo in the playoffs.

Lakers in 6

Purple & Gold
04-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Only a few people (Greg Anthony, maybe) had the Lakers possibly pulling an upset "if Kobe included his teammates." In fact, most had the Suns running away with this one after Game 1 last year. Then, a lot of fans started getting Laker fever after Game 3... until Bennett Salvatore put the Lakers up 3-1...
And this Ron is why nobody respects anything you say.

RonMexico
04-20-2007, 01:28 PM
And this Ron is why nobody respects anything you say.

You're right... it was Bennett Salvatore AND David Stern... my bad, P&G... you win again!!

(Meanwhile, let me find the picture of Boris Diaw calling timeout and Luke Walton's foot being out of bounds as he grabs the ball...)

lefty
04-20-2007, 01:42 PM

Lakeshow in 6
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Purple & Gold
04-20-2007, 02:57 PM
You're right... it was Bennett Salvatore AND David Stern... my bad, P&G... you win again!!

(Meanwhile, let me find the picture of Boris Diaw calling timeout and Luke Walton's foot being out of bounds as he grabs the ball...)
Wow Ron you really are a whiny bitch. No wonder nobody gives a shit about anything you say.

Here I'll save you the trouble of looking for your picture.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cojRLhW5FOc&mode=related&search=

Here's the extended versions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnTj6gMszys&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckeAlJsioHA&mode=related&search=

And what makes this so classic is I don't hear you complaining at all about Kobe getting fouled at the end of Game 1. Could have very easily been a sweep. But of course it's a conspiracy against Ron and his beloved Suns. :rolleyes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDV4Wk_l1nY&mode=related&search=
(Keep on eye on the 5:20 mark)

RonMexico
04-21-2007, 01:07 PM
Wow Ron you really are a whiny bitch. No wonder nobody gives a shit about anything you say.

Here I'll save you the trouble of looking for your picture.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cojRLhW5FOc&mode=related&search=

Here's the extended versions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnTj6gMszys&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckeAlJsioHA&mode=related&search=

And what makes this so classic is I don't hear you complaining at all about Kobe getting fouled at the end of Game 1. Could have very easily been a sweep. But of course it's a conspiracy against Ron and his beloved Suns. :rolleyes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDV4Wk_l1nY&mode=related&search=
(Keep on eye on the 5:20 mark)

Funny thing is - Kobe is chasing the refs off the court in that game after he got fouled and then bitching again in the locker room... Nash in the post-game press conference after Game 4 accepted all blame for the loss.

Perhaps no one gives a shit what you say because your leadership example is Kobe Bryant and Phil Jackson... maybe you should have spliced some clips from inspirational movies into those YouTube vids and I would have actually watched them. Btw, I asked for a picture... which says a 1,000 more words than an ABC crew instructed to cover up the conspiracy... haha.

Purple & Gold
04-21-2007, 03:24 PM
HaHa and now Ron goes into spin mode.

"I asked for a picture... which says a 1,000 more words than an ABC crew instructed to cover up the conspiracy..."
Do you even believe that shit? You're either the worst poster ever or the greatest Suns troll on the internet.

Yes a snapshot picture is worth so much better than live video. :rolleyes But I'm sure you think we watched it on delay to give Stern and the NBA the chance to digitalize certain parts of the game in the Lakers favor.

As for Phil not being a good leader, I guess 9 rings doesn't mean as much as it used to these days. I mean if you had the option of Phil Jackson and the great D'Antoni, you'd be a fool to ever think Phil is the better leader. :drunk And who cares if Kobes is not the leader you want him to be. He's an assassin with 3 Rings under his belt.

I also like how you conveniently forgot to talk about Game 1 :oops . But yet the world is out to get Ron and his beloved Suns.

Kobe'smyhomie
04-21-2007, 07:38 PM
I do remember many saying it would be a sweep by the Suns. So anyone favoring the Lakers was out of the question.

theMUHMEshow
04-22-2007, 07:04 AM
Fuck the suns.

AZLouis
04-22-2007, 09:04 AM
A little fuzzy, but the best I could do in a pinch...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/HatchettMan/OOB.jpg

:dramaquee

RonMexico
04-22-2007, 09:51 AM

Thank you - none of those videos P&G supplied provided me with what I asked for... yet I'm the spin master... haha.

Also, can you answer me why he's so obsessed about Game 1? Does he forget this is the same Kobe that has taken out 3 players this year with swinging elbows to the face and he's complaining about a single foul? What you just provided is a black and white rules violation instead of some kind of judgment call.

RonMexico
04-22-2007, 09:55 AM
HaHa and now Ron goes into spin mode.

Do you even believe that shit? You're either the worst poster ever or the greatest Suns troll on the internet.

Yes a snapshot picture is worth so much better than live video. :rolleyes But I'm sure you think we watched it on delay to give Stern and the NBA the chance to digitalize certain parts of the game in the Lakers favor.

As for Phil not being a good leader, I guess 9 rings doesn't mean as much as it used to these days. I mean if you had the option of Phil Jackson and the great D'Antoni, you'd be a fool to ever think Phil is the better leader. :drunk And who cares if Kobes is not the leader you want him to be. He's an assassin with 3 Rings under his belt.

I also like how you conveniently forgot to talk about Game 1 :oops . But yet the world is out to get Ron and his beloved Suns.

I think I did talk about Game 1 and told you to stop being a pussy. Convienent how Boris Diaw got a technical foul in Game 3 on a Luke Walton flagrant foul. Convenient how Kwame Brown didn't get a technical for standing over Diaw on the floor later in the same game. I guess Kobe's welt on his forehead was worse than when he broke Ginobili's nose earlier this year with an unnatural act... and then did it twice more to Korver and Jaric.

P.S. I can hate Phil all I want... I bet I could get at least 3 rings sitting on the toilet all season long with some of the talent he's had on the court. I love how everyone jumps out to protect Kobe and Phil when they can't win on the road and only go 42-40 this year. Oh, they just don't have enough talent and were decimated by injuries!!!

Purple & Gold
04-23-2007, 11:56 AM

Oh yes very good pic. I would still like to see video from that angle before I get on board with Ron's conspiracy, but it does look like a horrible call. It's only a snapshot so that could also be a bit deceiving, but it does look like a blown call.

Purple & Gold
04-23-2007, 12:02 PM
Thank you - none of those videos P&G supplied provided me with what I asked for... yet I'm the spin master... haha.

Also, can you answer me why he's so obsessed about Game 1? Does he forget this is the same Kobe that has taken out 3 players this year with swinging elbows to the face and he's complaining about a single foul? What you just provided is a black and white rules violation instead of some kind of judgment call.
Yes saying that the announcers are also in on the conspiracy is the true definition of going into spin mode.

And the reason I keep telling you about Game 1 is because if there really was some type of conspiracy against your team, they would have definitely called that foul. It was an obvious foul in a crucial part of the game.

LakeShow
04-23-2007, 12:07 PM
I'll just be glad when the official stop calling all of these Flopping Fouls. This league is so inconsistent! They say they're going to clean it up, but it seems like they call it in the playoffs more than they did in the regular season.

Game 1, feel you out game. Now the series start. Phil is the best in making adjustments and D'an (whatever) does not have a clue. I still like the lakers chances.

Purple & Gold
04-23-2007, 12:22 PM
I think I did talk about Game 1 and told you to stop being a pussy.
Your crying about a conspiracy against the Suns is exactly what being a pussy is.

Convienent how Boris Diaw got a technical foul in Game 3 on a Luke Walton flagrant foul. Convenient how Kwame Brown didn't get a technical for standing over Diaw on the floor later in the same game. I guess Kobe's welt on his forehead was worse than when he broke Ginobili's nose earlier this year with an unnatural act... and then did it twice more to Korver and Jaric.
Convenient how Raja Bell only got a 1 game suspension. People were getting that for much less. And he only got 1 game for a clothesline takedown. I thought it was very lenient. And what does this have to do with Ginobili and Korver and Jaric. The series was before those incidents.

P.S. I can hate Phil all I want... I bet I could get at least 3 rings sitting on the toilet all season long with some of the talent he's had on the court. I love how everyone jumps out to protect Kobe and Phil when they can't win on the road and only go 42-40 this year. Oh, they just don't have enough talent and were decimated by injuries!!!
You can hate Phil all you want, but you sound like a Big Pussy and a Whiny Bitch. As well as being a bit irrational. And no Ron your NBA knowledge is not that good, stop thinking you could win Championships as an NBA Coach.

Yes Ron talent and injuries are very important. You should know that since you're a Coach and all. Bynum will develop, we're not ready to compete for a ring now. But that doesn't mean we can't beat a soft ass team like the Suns though. Your team is flawed and you know it. You won't win it all. You guys can't beat S.A., Dallas, Houston, Detroit. And you're eventually gonna face one of them even if you do end up getting past the Lakers. It will be another disappointing offseason for Suns fans. Because the only thing that matters is Rings. Anything less than that is a failure.

Purple & Gold
04-23-2007, 12:26 PM
I'll just be glad when the official stop calling all of these Flopping Fouls. This league is so inconsistent! They say they're going to clean it up, but it seems like they call it in the playoffs more than they did in the regular season.

Game 1, feel you out game. Now the series start. Phil is the best in making adjustments and D'an (whatever) does not have a clue. I still like the lakers chances.
They give out yellow cards in soccer they should give out technicals in basketball. It is ridiculous how the league is so inconsistent.

I like the Lakers chances to. The Suns are soft and not a very scary number #2 seed. We need to pound the ball down low and not let Barbosa run wild on us again.

da_suns_fan__
04-23-2007, 12:35 PM
Yes Ron talent and injuries are very important. You should know that since you're a Coach and all. Bynum will develop, we're not ready to compete for a ring now. But that doesn't mean we can't beat a soft ass team like the Suns though. Your team is flawed and you know it. You won't win it all. You guys can't beat S.A., Dallas, Houston, Detroit. And you're eventually gonna face one of them even if you do end up getting past the Lakers. It will be another disappointing offseason for Suns fans. Because the only thing that matters is Rings. Anything less than that is a failure.

:lol :lol

Whats next?

"My dad can beat up your dad!!!!".

"Stupid-head!!!"

LakeShow
04-23-2007, 12:37 PM
They give out yellow cards in soccer they should give out technicals in basketball. It is ridiculous how the league is so inconsistent.

I like the Lakers chances to. The Suns are soft and not a very scary number #2 seed. We need to pound the ball down low and not let Barbosa run wild on us again.

No doubt, Barbosa was killing us. I would like to see Phil put Kobe on him during stretches. Hopefully Kwame gets his head out of his ass and play. He was hurt yesterday but argue-ing with his team mates is not the way to go. And Why Phil puts Cook in the game really puzzles me. Keep his ass on the bench. I would say the same for Smush but we need him.

Purple & Gold
04-23-2007, 12:50 PM
:lol :lol

Whats next?

"My dad can beat up your dad!!!!".

"Stupid-head!!!"
Suns have no Rings because their fans, like their team, is classless. It's bad Karma Suns fans.

Purple & Gold
04-23-2007, 01:08 PM
No doubt, Barbosa was killing us. I would like to see Phil put Kobe on him during stretches. Hopefully Kwame gets his head out of his ass and play. He was hurt yesterday but argue-ing with his team mates is not the way to go. And Why Phil puts Cook in the game really puzzles me. Keep his ass on the bench. I would say the same for Smush but we need him.
Yeah Kwame didn't play good at all. Luckily he's a $10 Million a year expiring contract next year. I don't wanna see Cook or Smush again. That weak ass foul against Barbosa yesterday was the last straw for me. I've never seen anybody worse on defense. Just get in front of him and stop moving around all scared. And if you're gonna foul somebody you better foul him good. And Cook if his shot is not falling is useless out there. We definitely need some scoring out of that position. We didn't see Vlad yesterday, I wonder why.

LakeShow
04-23-2007, 01:23 PM
Yeah Kwame didn't play good at all. Luckily he's a $10 Million a year expiring contract next year. I don't wanna see Cook or Smush again. That weak ass foul against Barbosa yesterday was the last straw for me. I've never seen anybody worse on defense. Just get in front of him and stop moving around all scared. And if you're gonna foul somebody you better foul him good. And Cook if his shot is not falling is useless out there. We definitely need some scoring out of that position. We didn't see Vlad yesterday, I wonder why.

I think Phil gave cook a shot because he's been there all year. I would rather see Vlad instead of cook. I can't stand to see Cook on the court. At least Vlad will give you a better effort. Hopefully Phil tightens up things and forgets those guys numbers.

da_suns_fan__
04-23-2007, 01:40 PM
Suns have no Rings because their fans, like their team, is classless. It's bad Karma Suns fans.

ALL Suns fans are classless??!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe its the heat.....then again, not all Suns fans live in the greater Phoenix area. Hmmm...Im stumped. What would cause all Suns fans to inherently have no "class"?

What logic do you use?

LAKERS4LIFE
04-23-2007, 02:03 PM
ALL Suns fans are classless??!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe its the heat.....then again, not all Suns fans live in the greater Phoenix area. Hmmm...Im stumped. What would cause all Suns fans to inherently have no "class"?

What logic do you use?

PINCHE PENDEJO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!