PDA

View Full Version : No offense, but I think its funny

lebomb
04-19-2007, 06:13 PM
that there is so much talk about universities outside of San Antonio and UTSA gets no play. Its a division I school and the very people that diss it about being small time dont even talk about it or mention it. AND, these very same people are born here and never even set foot on some of these other universities campuses.

All Im saying is dont DISS UTSA about being commuter and small time, IF you dont support it AND if you have never graduated from another university that you claim........thats BULLSHIT if you ask me.

Have a great day. :toast

lebomb
04-19-2007, 06:16 PM
I have a ton of relatives that wear UT and A&M gear and have never even set foot on the damn campus.......how can you claim that??? Also, who gives a fuck about USC or Notre Dame since those schools arent even in Texas. I thought this was Spurstalk?? Not Cali or Michigan talk?

Sorry to vent, but I hate bandwagon people who claim FLORIDA as their school and they have never left Texas.......

Cant yall support your local Div I school even though it not where you want it to be yet???

johngateswhiteley
04-19-2007, 09:54 PM
I have a ton of relatives that wear UT and A&M gear and have never even set foot on the damn campus.......how can you claim that??? Also, who gives a fuck about USC or Notre Dame since those schools arent even in Texas. I thought this was Spurstalk?? Not Cali or Michigan talk?

Sorry to vent, but I hate bandwagon people who claim FLORIDA as their school and they have never left Texas.......

Cant yall support your local Div I school even though it not where you want it to be yet???

this is a USC and A&M forum...sorry bra.

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-19-2007, 09:57 PM

No journalism school, therefore no support from me.

leemajors
04-19-2007, 11:19 PM
this is a UT and A&M forum...sorry bra.

johngateswhiteley
04-19-2007, 11:23 PM
this is a USC and A&M forum...sorry bra

j-6
04-19-2007, 11:43 PM
No Arenaball team. Austin has one.

No Triple-A baseball team. Austin (well, Round Rock) has one.

No D-1 football team. Well, Austin certainly has one of those.

Hockey? OK, but that's like 4,000 fans a game...but still, more than three times what UTSA basketball averages at home.

There's as many undergrads at UTSA as Tech. Or Texas State, for that matter. And more than OU has enrolled.

And yet no football team, despite being in a huge town that hosts a bowl game and a HS All-American game. Obviously there's room for a team just based on the sheer enrollment and citywide population, but there's some sort of huge sports apathy in San Antonio toward any team besides the Spurs. Of course, SA has enough Dallas in her to whore out and show up en masse to hosted championship-caliber sporting events, but supporting any other team just doesn't happen there.

I believe that the lack of support for anything behind one of the most successful NBA franchises in history is part of the reason the NFL hasn't made its way there yet. You can scream and cuss about only wanting to support a winner, but there's 30 other cities all with NFL teams that want that every year. The Houston Texans are 24-56 in their five years in the NFL. There's no way San Antonio is selling out an 80K stadium with a 2-7 home team facing a 3-6 opponent. Even when the only other game in town is the NBA.

D-1's a harder sell. They won't be able to beat the Aggies or the Longhorns of the world, and nobody cares about a gritty win over Northwestern State when people can watch either A&M or Texas play major college ball in HD on their couches.

Fillmoe
04-20-2007, 12:49 AM
The U Runs This Place!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fuck Usc And Fuck A&m

johngateswhiteley
04-20-2007, 01:12 AM
The U Runs This Place!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fuck Usc And Fuck A&m

wait for it...its not long now.

samikeyp
04-20-2007, 07:02 AM

Hey! SA had the Force! (God, were they horrible!) :lol

Oh...and....uh...where is Austin's WNBA team? Huh? :lmao

As someone who was born and raised in SA and lived there for 34 years, I love San Antonio. It has a lot of wonderful things about it. However, when it comes to sports, J-6 is pretty dead on. I do know that there have been talks about getting an Arenaball team for the ATT and I think that an Triple A team would work here. D-1 football maybe...you have so many UT and A&M fans and alumni here that maybe because its football they might go but unsure. The sad thing is I think fans would embrace these sports however we are not blessed with the best leadership in the people that could make all this happen. UTSA has no one but itself to blame for their lack of success. For years Bobby Thompson was the AD and didn't do dick to help the school. Lynn Hickey is better but she had to spend so many years cleaning up Thompson's mess. Like it or not, UTSA is a commuter school....can they change that perception? Yes. Have they? No.

lebomb
04-20-2007, 08:01 AM
I apologize everyone for going off yesterday. I just dont get it. San Antonio is the 7th largest city in the US......and our OWN population treats it like Seguin. We have a D1 school right here in our own backyard and it gets "0" run. I mean there is almost 29K students out there......the 5th largest school in Texas.

I think UTSA should change its name to University of San Antonio........grab its own identity and get from under UTs nutsack.

Im done.......everyone have a great day and weekend.

FIESTA TIME!!!

Extra Stout
04-20-2007, 08:34 AM
I apologize everyone for going off yesterday. I just dont get it. San Antonio is the 7th largest city in the US......and our OWN population treats it like Seguin. We have a D1 school right here in our own backyard and it gets "0" run. I mean there is almost 29K students out there......the 5th largest school in Texas.

I think UTSA should change its name to University of San Antonio........grab its own identity and get from under UTs nutsack.

Im done.......everyone have a great day and weekend.

FIESTA TIME!!!
There are other medium-size cities without a major D-1 sports presence.

Indianapolis
Jacksonville
Sacramento

leemajors
04-20-2007, 09:16 AM

you do realize there are major benefits to being a satellite school of a major university, don't you?

lebomb
04-20-2007, 01:53 PM
you do realize there are major benefits to being a satellite school of a major university, don't you?

Yes I do.....but, sometimes I think it harms a universities individual identity. I mean San Antonio is twice as big as Austin, yet UTSA is like the lil red headed stepchild of UT. No seriously it is......really. :dramaquee

SrA Husker
04-20-2007, 06:35 PM
Keep in mind UT-Austin has 50,000 students while UTSA has half that number.

lebomb
04-20-2007, 06:37 PM
Keep in mind UT-Austin has 50,000 students while UTSA has half that number.

Yep....but it took UT 100yrs to reach 50K......UTSA is at almost 30K in 36yrs.....doesnt mean much, but UTSA is a major college any way you look at it. At least population wise. Many colleges have only 8-10K students. That MUST mean something??? :reading

SrA Husker
04-20-2007, 07:18 PM
UTSA needs something that sets it apart from Austin and A&M and the rest of the BCS-level DIA schools in Texas. Whether that's academics, basketball, baseball, they need something to "put them on the map" so to say.

K-State Spur
04-20-2007, 07:26 PM
They had the baseball team going pretty well when Jimmy Shankle was there in the mid-90s. But he had other interests and Mickey wasn't able to keep it going.

lebomb
04-20-2007, 09:09 PM
UTSA needs something that sets it apart from Austin and A&M and the rest of the BCS-level DIA schools in Texas. Whether that's academics, basketball, baseball, they need something to "put them on the map" so to say.

I agree 200%

lebomb
04-20-2007, 09:09 PM
They had the baseball team going pretty well when Jimmy Shankle was there in the mid-90s. But he had other interests and Mickey wasn't able to keep it going.

Actually the baseball team is pretty dayum good! :elephant

K-State Spur
04-20-2007, 09:28 PM
I admit that I haven't followed them since a couple of rough years not too long ago.

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-20-2007, 09:51 PM
Isn't UT-Austin slightly more selective in its admissions than UTSA?

johngateswhiteley
04-20-2007, 09:59 PM

:lol

lebomb
04-21-2007, 03:01 PM

Yes.......that is true. But WTF does that have to do with starting a football program???

Also, Isnt Stanford and Duke more selective than UT??? :rolleyes

chode_regulator
04-21-2007, 03:35 PM

No Triple-A baseball team. Austin (well, Round Rock) has one.

No D-1 football team. Well, Austin certainly has one of those.

Hockey? OK, but that's like 4,000 fans a game...but still, more than three times what UTSA basketball averages at home.

There's as many undergrads at UTSA as Tech. Or Texas State, for that matter. And more than OU has enrolled.

And yet no football team, despite being in a huge town that hosts a bowl game and a HS All-American game. Obviously there's room for a team just based on the sheer enrollment and citywide population, but there's some sort of huge sports apathy in San Antonio toward any team besides the Spurs. Of course, SA has enough Dallas in her to whore out and show up en masse to hosted championship-caliber sporting events, but supporting any other team just doesn't happen there.

I believe that the lack of support for anything behind one of the most successful NBA franchises in history is part of the reason the NFL hasn't made its way there yet. You can scream and cuss about only wanting to support a winner, but there's 30 other cities all with NFL teams that want that every year. The Houston Texans are 24-56 in their five years in the NFL. There's no way San Antonio is selling out an 80K stadium with a 2-7 home team facing a 3-6 opponent. Even when the only other game in town is the NBA.

D-1's a harder sell. They won't be able to beat the Aggies or the Longhorns of the world, and nobody cares about a gritty win over Northwestern State when people can watch either A&M or Texas play major college ball in HD on their couches.
hmm....pretty intersting perspective and well thought out. im surprised mookie hasnt made any comments yet

as for me...well if ut or utsa had the #1 aeronautical school inthe country theni would have gone there. i would have even considered going to a&m if they had a good program, but probably not. so even thoug i would hvae like to go to austin, it wasnt in my cards

and what baout the dad from the movie "Rudy"? is he not allowed to like ND bc he was too poor,dumb or just never had the chance to go to college?

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-21-2007, 03:41 PM
Yes.......that is true. But WTF does that have to do with starting a football program???

Well, I believe it relates to your growth argument.

Sure, UTSA is a fast-growing campus if they just let anybody into the damn school. Also, IIRC, the people that are on UT's waiting list (so to speak) get placed at UTSA and the other schools in the system while they await entry into Austin.

So if you're going to bring campus growth as an issue in starting a football program, you should be aware of exactly how your growth is happening.

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-21-2007, 03:51 PM
UT-Austin (2004) 23,008 applications / 11,788 accepted (51.2%)
UTSA (2004) 10,331 applications / 10,260 accepted (99.3%)

If you accept everybody but crackheads and hookers, your growth rate will indeed skyrocket.

And just so I can be an asshole...

Texas State (2004) 11,266 applications / 6,479 accepted (57.7%)

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2006-11-02-collegerates_x.htm

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-21-2007, 03:54 PM

Yes, and even they have football programs where other sports have a larger stamp on their respective communities.

In case you hadn't heard, Duke basketball is kind of big (and what a surprise, it's in one of the largest college basketball regions in the country).

Texas is widely recognized as the home of football, North Carolina, not so much.

SrA Husker
04-21-2007, 03:57 PM

If you accept everybody but crackheads and hookers, your growth rate will indeed skyrocket.

How much must it suck to be one of those 71 people not accepted to UTSA?? :dizzy

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-21-2007, 04:02 PM
How much must it suck to be one of those 71 people not accepted to UTSA?? :dizzy

Shhhhh! They probably haven't awakened from their heroin-induced comas to see their rejection letters yet.

lebomb
04-21-2007, 05:38 PM

Yeah, but who makes those fucked up rules...........UT system. That is why UTSA needs to depart and be University of San Antonio.

Oh and by the way I graduated from UTSA and I am currently the manager of people that graduated from Art Center in Cali.....a few from Auburn and one from A&M .......so obviously a degree from a D1 university is what really matters, not where you go necessarily.

But, back to the matter at hand.....UTSA should have a football program period. :bang

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-21-2007, 06:08 PM
Yeah, but who makes those fucked up rules...........UT system. That is why UTSA needs to depart and be University of San Antonio.

Oh and by the way I graduated from UTSA and I am currently the manager of people that graduated from Art Center in Cali.....a few from Auburn and one from A&M .......so obviously a degree from a D1 university is what really matters, not where you go necessarily.

But, back to the matter at hand.....UTSA should have a football program period. :bang

I never said your (nor anybody's) degree from UTSA was not worthy of praise, I only said that anybody with the motor skills to fill out an application and a FAFSA form were accepted to UTSA, which creates ungodly growth.

My best friend and his sister, both successful in their careers, graduated from UTSA and their little brother is going there for his grad work.

lebomb
04-22-2007, 10:02 AM
I only said that anybody with the motor skills to fill out an application and a FAFSA form were accepted to UTSA, which creates ungodly growth.

I realise that......I said the UT system created the rules so UT remains the Lord of all UT schools.

That still doesnt hide the fact that UTSA is large enough to support a DI school and its really stupid and a nobrainer to think otherwise.