PDA

View Full Version : wow...suns VERY confident

TheNextGen
04-20-2007, 12:33 AM
Suns' feelings are an open book
Lakers get bad reviews in an account of last season's series. Now Phoenix must back it up.
By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer
April 20, 2007

In addition to scouring video for any added advantage against the Phoenix Suns, the Lakers might also want to sit back and read a good book.

Longtime Sports Illustrated reporter Jack McCallum spent last season with the Suns, documenting the inner workings of the high-scoring curiosity piece in a 312-page account that could provide a wealth of bulletin-board material for the Lakers, who begin another first-round series with the Suns on Sunday.

An all-access look at one of the league's top teams, ":07 Seconds or Less" devotes more than 100 pages to last year's playoff series between the Suns and Lakers, eventually won by the Suns in seven games. The book, named after the Suns' mantra to fire up a shot before seven seconds tick off the shot clock, includes several scenes in which Kobe Bryant, Phil Jackson and the Lakers in general are panned by the Suns.

"As the Suns see it, the Lakers trek along the low road," McCallum wrote. "Bryant is arrogant. [Kwame] Brown is just a big body with nothing behind it. Smush Parker was a Sun for a couple of weeks [in 2004-05] and no one rued his departure. Lamar Odom is just too damn big and long. Luke Walton seems like a nice guy ... but he laid out [Tim] Thomas in Game 3 and triggered a miserable chain of events [for the Suns]. Sasha Vujacic is an all-universe whiner with an unpronounceable surname. Plus, Phil Jackson sits on a throne."

The Lakers are aware of the book, which was released last fall, and perused copies of it long before the Suns became their playoff opponent.

Some of the things they have likely noted:

The Suns, while watching video of their Game 1 victory, poked fun at the Lakers' defense.

"This is when we're at our best, when we're changing ends on the fly," Coach Mike D'Antoni said. "They have no answer for it. Kwame is awful. Odom's a very average defender. Vujacic can't guard anybody. And Bryant in the open floor takes chances that aren't good."

Suns owner Robert Sarver had issues with some millionaire court-side fans at Staples Center. He thought Norm Pattiz was getting into the face of Thomas during Game 3 and told the Westwood One Radio Network founder before Game 4, "You ever touch one of my players again, you'll have me to deal with."

Sarver was also mad that actor-director Penny Marshall was near the Suns' huddle before Game 3, talking to some of the Suns' players.

"This L.A. [expletive] has got to stop," Sarver said afterward. "This is war. I hate those guys."

While Suns coaches watched video of Game 3, Jackson wandered into the frame with his painful side-to-side walk.

"Look!" one of the coaches blurted out. "It's the Penguin!"

After the Lakers took a 3-1 series lead, D'Antoni wondered aloud why so many people were lauding Bryant's share-the-ball approach.

"They're talking about Kobe and how great it is that he's playing with the team," D'Antoni said. "Well, isn't that what you're supposed to do? Now he's the savior because he's playing that way? He's no god. He does what he's supposed to be doing, which is what we learned in kindergarten. Share the ball and play."

An unidentified member of the Lakers left a scouting report of the Suns at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel after Game 5 in Phoenix. It quickly ended up in the hands of Suns coaches, much to the Lakers' dismay.

A part that wasn't in the book: Jackson called a hotel official and wondered how the document ended up in the Suns' possession. He was informed that all trash from hotel rooms is typically shredded. The hotel official said he would get back to Jackson after investigating the matter further. To this day, Jackson still hasn't heard back from the official, a team source said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More recently, the Suns haven't exactly downplayed their thoughts of the Lakers, beginning with forward Amare Stoudemire's statement last week that "I think we would take care of them pretty quick" if the teams met in the first round.

Bryant said the Lakers would "put [Stoudemire's] clairvoyancy to the test," and other Lakers weren't so sure the series would be done so quickly.

"That's his opinion," Walton said. "If he thinks it's going to go four, good for him. They've proven they're a great team. We're the ones that are going to have to play great basketball if we want to win. They've played great basketball all year and they've got home-court advantage, but I don't think it's going to be a four-game series."

Bryant was asked if the Suns (61-21) might be a tad overconfident in viewing the Lakers (42-40).

"I'm sure they are," he said. "Their team's won like, what, 60-something games, whatever it is. I'm sure they're confident. I'm sure they believe it's going to be a quick series. It's our job to try and prove them wrong."

The Lakers will try to do what they did last season and pound the ball inside to their big men, although the presence of Stoudemire will make things more difficult. He missed almost all of last season, including the playoff series against the Lakers, because of knee problems, but has averaged 20.4 points and 9.6 rebounds this season.

"We're going to try to slow it down," Walton said. "That's no secret. Now we've got Kwame back. That's big for us. Ronny [Turiaf] has been playing great. [Andrew] Bynum is starting to play well again.

"We've got to focus on getting the ball inside all game long and not just for a little bit and then start settling for jumpers. If you settle for a jumper against Phoenix and if you don't make it, it's like a turnover, where they're off to the races."

[email protected]
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakerep20apr20,0,3697571.story?coll=la-home-sports

sprrs
04-20-2007, 12:48 AM
When doesn't Amare come off as pompous and arrogant?

The guy is an amazing player, but he needs to stop pissing other people off with his arrogance, least of all KOBE BRYANT.

JamStone
04-20-2007, 12:49 AM
I'm thinking Phil Jackson and Kobe didn't reveal their entire playbook in the regular season.

nsrammstein
04-20-2007, 12:52 AM
Amare is a lucky son of a bitch if he wasn't 6'10 235lbs he would be flipping burgers at a McDonalds.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-20-2007, 12:58 AM
i hope the suns get fucked up

they won't, but still

ponky
04-20-2007, 01:00 AM
i hope the suns get fucked up

they won't, but still

ditto, for me, mostly because of d'antoni and his black jesus

confined
04-20-2007, 06:27 AM
Amare is a lucky son of a bitch if he wasn't 6'10 235lbs he would be flipping burgers at a McDonalds.
110% true

resistanze
04-20-2007, 07:07 AM
Ring-less smack talk forum.

ratm1221
04-20-2007, 08:26 AM
Wow, I guess I never realized how arrogant D'Antoni was. What an asshole. When you beat a team in the playoffs, you don't go back and make statements about how much they suck. Who in professional sports does that? All D'Antoni had done is put a bad omen on his team. I'll laugh if they lose the series.

leemajors
04-20-2007, 08:40 AM
mr chicken dance is complaining about overzealous courtside fans?

cheguevara
04-20-2007, 09:40 AM
When doesn't Amare come off as pompous and arrogant?

when he's on the floor and tries to intimidate guys smaller than him.

but guys bigger than him, and he's quiet as a mouse.

oh I thought u meant when does amare.... nevermind

lurker
04-20-2007, 09:59 AM
I read that :07 Seconds or Less book a few months ago. Interesting stuff.

Sarver can definitely give Mark Cuban a run for his money as the craziest owner. :lol

Borosai
04-20-2007, 10:04 AM
D'Antoni sucks hairy cock and replenishes his ashy moustache with fresh, black pubes.

JMarkJohns
04-20-2007, 10:36 AM
They are being pretty stupid. I think the Suns are a better team, but they have a great player who can carry his team and a coach who can outwit the slow to wit D'Antoni.

I like being confident, but bashing your opponant based on what happened last season is pretty effin' lame.

LakeShow
04-20-2007, 10:59 AM
Just the motivation the Lakers need. Let's do this! :ihit

Findog
04-20-2007, 11:04 AM
The most interesting thing I learned from reading that book is how much of a selfish prick Amare is. He could've come back last year but he really dogged it in rehab. His style of play is a little different, but he's little more than a modern-day Bob McAdoo. Dude can score, but that's about it. Can't guard an empty gym.

TDMVPDPOY
04-20-2007, 11:11 AM
already gettin a big head as usual. damn i hate the suns

Medvedenko
04-20-2007, 11:15 AM
Interesting quotes by the suns. I hope they do well, will probably win this year...but the Lakers are coming up strong. Something like this won't go over easy in lalala land.
Still to keep it in perspective, there's probably a lot of hate on both sides, I just hope if Raja clotheslines kobe again, he's gone for the playoffs, not 1 game.

101A
04-20-2007, 11:24 AM
I'm thinking Phil Jackson and Kobe didn't reveal their entire playbook in the regular season.

I'm thinking Phil wanted the Suns - and worked to get them.

ratm1221
04-20-2007, 11:46 AM
I'm thinking Phil wanted the Suns - and worked to get them.

Yeah, I thought I read somewhere where he said they would rather play the Suns than the Mavs. Thats why they fought so hard for that 7th seed.

Purple & Gold
04-20-2007, 12:32 PM
Yes this is perfect. Keep talking Suns coaches and players. Tell us exactly how you feel.

G-Money
04-20-2007, 02:50 PM
What gives the Suns the right to laugh at Lakers defense, hell what gives them the right to laugh at any kind of defense?

Xylus
04-20-2007, 03:16 PM
Those quotes were lifted from McCallum's book. In other words, they were behind-the-scenes quotes that I'm sure you'd hear any coach say during the playoffs. Do you guys honestly think that what they say to the media represents their true feelings? Fuck no! You guys talk endless shit about other teams, but when a coach does it with his assistant coaches while preparing a gameplan in the Playoffs, against a team that was doing some pretty lousy shit to our team--The Lakers looked like they wanted to pick a fight every single quarter--it's suddenly a bad thing.

Give me a fucking break.

Furthermore, D'Antoni didn't even say anything untrue. The Lakers can't guard the Suns when they're running, because they're a mediocre defensive team. That's why they slow the game down to an uncomfortable pace. And during that series, the media was praising Kobe for finally distributing the ball to his teammates, rather than hogging it all game like he usually does...something he should have been doing all season long.

Amare's the only one who has said outright (in the last year) that he thinks they'll beat the Lakers quickly. I don't think that represents the whole team.

mardigan
04-20-2007, 03:20 PM
^^^^Go Lakers

Xylus
04-20-2007, 03:27 PM
As a journalist myself, I think it's pretty sad that this sportswriter, Mike Bresnahan, had to resort to focus on a book that came out 8 months ago, about a series that happened one year ago, when the Lakers-Suns hatred was at its peak. I think the rivalry has calmed down a lot since then. Raja and Kobe are talking to each other now. The Suns-Lakers games are relatively uneventful. This guy's just trying to stir a pot that went stagnant a long time ago. He's trying to get the Lakers and their fans pumped up for a series that most everyone knows will ultimately be a huge disappointment for them.

ponky
04-20-2007, 03:50 PM
As a journalist myself, I think it's pretty sad that this sportswriter, Mike Bresnahan, had to resort to focus on a book that came out 8 months ago, about a series that happened one year ago, when the Lakers-Suns hatred was at its peak. I think the rivalry has calmed down a lot since then. Raja and Kobe are talking to each other now. The Suns-Lakers games are relatively uneventful. This guy's just trying to stir a pot that went stagnant a long time ago. He's trying to get the Lakers and their fans pumped up for a series that most everyone knows will ultimately be a huge disappointment for them.

Meh, it's the playoffs, whaddya expect? Anyway, I think D'Antoni's a passionate p.o.s. I can appreciate the competitive side of him and the win-at-all-costs attitude because I absolutely hate losing anything and I have a short fuse...but I also think he's an arrogant p.o.s. and looks like a marionette out on the court so I hate on him for that....keep that stuff private...and he did, but he allowed someone who was going to write a book into that private world...doesn't make him look good, but it was behind doors and I'm sure these guys say stuff like that all the time behind doors, no big deal. That said, GO LAKERS, BEAT THE SUNS...or at least make it to six games!!!

PhxDog
04-20-2007, 04:01 PM
Amare's the only one who has said outright (in the last year) that he thinks they'll beat the Lakers quickly. I don't think that represents the whole team.
This is the only part I disagree with.

Long first-round series = tired players getting hurt later on. I guarantee you that D'Antoni and Nash were pounding that into the players' heads every single day this week.

Xylus
04-20-2007, 04:08 PM
Meh, it's the playoffs, whaddya expect? Anyway, I think D'Antoni's a passionate p.o.s. I can appreciate the competitive side of him and the win-at-all-costs attitude because I absolutely hate losing anything and I have a short fuse...but I also think he's an arrogant p.o.s. and looks like a marionette out on the court so I hate on him for that....keep that stuff private...and he did, but he allowed someone who was going to write a book into that private world...doesn't make him look good, but it was behind doors and I'm sure these guys say stuff like that all the time behind doors, no big deal. That said, GO LAKERS, BEAT THE SUNS...or at least make it to six games!!!
If D'Antoni was saying this stuff to the media, then I could see where the problem comes from. But you're right, this stuff was said behind closed doors, where coaches talk freely with each other. Just because there was a journalist in their presence, doesn't mean they're going to be completely well-behaved. As a journalist, I'd want them to talk as freely as possible, not so that I could paint them in a bad light, but so that I could give people a good idea of what goes on behind-the-scenes.

LakeShow
04-20-2007, 05:14 PM
Those quotes were lifted from McCallum's book. In other words, they were behind-the-scenes quotes that I'm sure you'd hear any coach say during the playoffs. Do you guys honestly think that what they say to the media represents their true feelings? Fuck no! You guys talk endless shit about other teams, but when a coach does it with his assistant coaches while preparing a gameplan in the Playoffs, against a team that was doing some pretty lousy shit to our team--The Lakers looked like they wanted to pick a fight every single quarter--it's suddenly a bad thing.

Give me a fucking break.

Furthermore, D'Antoni didn't even say anything untrue. The Lakers can't guard the Suns when they're running, because they're a mediocre defensive team. That's why they slow the game down to an uncomfortable pace. And during that series, the media was praising Kobe for finally distributing the ball to his teammates, rather than hogging it all game like he usually does...something he should have been doing all season long.

Oh give me a fucking break! Who were the suns able to guard? The lakers were pounding them into submission in that series and Smush was looking like a real NBA guard vs. Phoenix. Don't give me that bullshit about Lakers trying to pick a fight, the lakers were being physical with the Suns, which most teams will do in the playoffs. It wasn't nothing more disgraceful and sickening that happened in that series than the Suns officials releasing to the press that Kwame was being investigated for Sexual assault the day before game 7 (btw, an investigation that dyed after the playoffs) It completely took Kwame out of that game thus the lakers out of the series. Fuck the Suns! :devil

TheNextGen
04-20-2007, 08:40 PM
If D'Antoni was saying this stuff to the media, then I could see where the problem comes from. But you're right, this stuff was said behind closed doors, where coaches talk freely with each other. Just because there was a journalist in their presence, doesn't mean they're going to be completely well-behaved. As a journalist, I'd want them to talk as freely as possible, not so that I could paint them in a bad light, but so that I could give people a good idea of what goes on behind-the-scenes.

Some of the quotes wernt behind the scenes. The Amare quote when he said it wont be a long series was said on TV after the Suns beat the Lakers last week. I heard it and saw it on TV an was totally shocked.

td4mvp21
04-20-2007, 08:44 PM
Pride comes before the fall...

Xylus
04-20-2007, 08:54 PM
Some of the quotes wernt behind the scenes. The Amare quote when he said it wont be a long series was said on TV after the Suns beat the Lakers last week. I heard it and saw it on TV an was totally shocked.
I already pointed that out, but thanks anyway. My points were coach-related.

Dirk Nowitzki
04-20-2007, 08:56 PM
If the Lakers are in need of the Suns talking shit to have a better shot at winning the series, they are already fucked.

Roxsfan
04-20-2007, 10:34 PM
Wow, I guess I never realized how arrogant D'Antoni was. What an asshole. When you beat a team in the playoffs, you don't go back and make statements about how much they suck. Who in professional sports does that? All D'Antoni had done is put a bad omen on his team. I'll laugh if they lose the series.

+1

this is when I wish shaq still played for the lake show :elephant

trueD
04-21-2007, 01:19 AM
D'Antoni played his team with class down the stretch. Not only is he passionate, but considerate of momentum. So what if they lost against Rockets & Clips, those teams were playing for playoff berths and deserved (as did the rest of the league) competitive play. I liked that. D'Antoni has my support.

Mr. back-to-back MVP is doing all the right things to stay in shape for the game, and Amare is back to form. Garbosa is likely 6th man, and Raja Bell is capable of shutting down the best scorer in the league.

Suns have a right to a little gloating, imo, and they'll likely back it up against Lakers. Which will be thoroughly enjoyable and totally expected.

Xylus
04-21-2007, 01:57 AM
Except those comments were made during the series, not after, when the Suns were losing at the time. If you read the quotes in context, they aren't that bad at all. The first one came right after Game 1, when D'Antoni was discussing the Lakers with his assistant coaches, and how best to beat them.

The other quote about Kobe came after Game 3 when D'Antoni was frustrated, trying to find a way to get his team jumpstarted. They just came out later because they were published in McCallum's book. Read the article.

PhxDog
04-21-2007, 12:44 PM
+1

this is when I wish shaq still played for the lake show :elephant
Yes, when I think if classy overdogs, Shaq is the first name that comes to my mind, too. :lol

RonMexico
04-21-2007, 12:48 PM
already gettin a big head as usual. damn i hate the suns

No, you dumbfuck - this was last year. You obviously hate literacy as well.

RonMexico
04-21-2007, 12:51 PM
Pride? Yes, they were proud after Game 1 last year.... then they got shafted and went down 3-1. I think they've learned to swallow their pride this time around and they won't take the Lakers for granted again.

You guys are as dumb as this LA Times cocksucker - trying to take something from last year and act like they said it last week.

Secondly, you don't think pompous-assed Phil Jackson and Kobe don't say similar things about the Suns and Nash? It's all about confidence and motivation.... you need both to win in the Playoffs. Just ask Dirk and Smush Parker how much weakened confidence can cost you...

RonMexico
04-21-2007, 12:55 PM
Lastly, Amare said they would "take care of them pretty quick" in a post-game interview after they beat the Lakers at home fairly easily.

The ones that claim the Suns are "overconfident" and put words into their mouths (Luke Walton saying it would last 4) are the Lakers.

Purple & Gold
04-21-2007, 03:31 PM
I find it funny how a #2 seed that barely escapes out of the first round thinks they are so great. I mean the Lakers had them by the throat and yet they think they are so much better. Interesting. You would think the obviously favored and more talented team wouldn't need to talk so much and would just let everything be said on the court.

N4th4n
04-21-2007, 04:42 PM
Do you have absolutely NO reading comprehension skills? Have you read absolutely NOTHING that has been posted in this thread? Are you truly this ignorant and blind?

I find it funny how a #2 seed that barely escapes out of the first round thinks they are so great.

Do you realize no one out side of Amare is showing any sort of arrogance? The coaches are simply point out facts about the personnel of the Lakers. This was a closed door meeting meant to direct and fire up the team.

Interesting. You would think the obviously favored and more talented team wouldn't need to talk so much and would just let everything be said on the court

Once again they WERE NOT talking shit. What do you think goes on in a coaches meeting. They talk about the strengths and weaknesses of their opponents. There was no intention of “shit talk” or “bad mouthing” in any of this. I think the suns won that series any way, I would say they did all the talking they needed to do on the court.

LakeShow
04-21-2007, 05:19 PM
Lastly, Amare said they would "take care of them pretty quick" in a post-game interview after they beat the Lakers at home fairly easily.

The ones that claim the Suns are "overconfident" and put words into their mouths (Luke Walton saying it would last 4) are the Lakers.

Walton said it would go more than 4. In reference to Amare saying it will end quickly.

I understand that the book is from last season, in the locker room. It motivates a team to hear how your opponent really feels about you. The fact that it was made public escalates the need and desire of the players mentioned to do everything in their power to prove him wrong.

I expect an intense series and the Lakers will be ready.

Kobe'smyhomie
04-21-2007, 07:37 PM
Proud after beating a team that isn't better than you are?
Have the Suns really sunk this low?

RonMexico
04-22-2007, 10:01 AM
Proud after beating a team that isn't better than you are?
Have the Suns really sunk this low?

Did you not realize this book was written last year?

Amare can be proud in a post game interview with Michelle Tafoya and say it will be a short series after they just beat the Lakers handily about 2 weeks ago.

Not as bad as some other comments I've heard recently, such as "we gave them the Finals last year." or my all-time favorite: T-Mac - "It feels so great to already be in the 2nd round..." whoops!

bonesinaz
04-22-2007, 03:07 PM
Phil Jackson LOVES bulletin board material. Lakeshow up at the half.

RonMexico
04-22-2007, 04:41 PM
I guess P&G never read Phil's book where he throws Kobe under a bus... I guess all is forgiven now that Phil is back under a Buss himself (Jeanie).

Nashfan
04-22-2007, 04:50 PM
I guess P&G never read Phil's book where he throws Kobe under a bus... I guess all is forgiven now that Phil is back under a Buss himself (Jeanie).
:lmao

Purple & Gold
04-23-2007, 11:19 AM
I take that as a testament to Kobe and the fact that he wants to win. To allow a coach to coach you after a tell all book is very surprising and out of character for a person that you consider so selfish and horrible.

Purple & Gold
04-23-2007, 11:44 AM
Do you have absolutely NO reading comprehension skills? Have you read absolutely NOTHING that has been posted in this thread? Are you truly this ignorant and blind?
Oh you mean did I read what you Suns fans wrote in a desperate attempt to try to back up your team. Yeah I read it.

Once again they WERE NOT talking shit. What do you think goes on in a coaches meeting. They talk about the strengths and weaknesses of their opponents. There was no intention of “shit talk” or “bad mouthing” in any of this. I think the suns won that series any way, I would say they did all the talking they needed to do on the court.
They allowed what they said to be published or knew what they were saying was gonna be published. It is talking shit because the series is so recent.

RonMexico
04-23-2007, 10:53 PM
I take that as a testament to Kobe and the fact that he wants to win. To allow a coach to coach you after a tell all book is very surprising and out of character for a person that you consider so selfish and horrible.

If by "allowing to coach him" you mean "going 1-10 by jacking up shots over double teams" then yes, you are correct.