PDA

View Full Version : Why I Like SA's chances: Mentality

SpursDynasty
04-20-2007, 05:25 PM
As Dallas proved last year, winning a championship isn't done with just personnel and scoring alone. There's something to be said about the quiet, non-trash talking confidence of the Spurs.

1. "I hear all this about other teams being more athletic than us. So basically we just need to figure out how to score one more point. How much more athletic is that?" - Poppovich's comments after the Game 7 defeat at the hands of Dallas. He's pretty much right. A firm, non trash talking statement.
2. At the end of Dallas' 95-92 win against SA this season, Dirk very clearly fouled Finley while he was shooting a 3, but no foul was called to end the game. Poppovich's reaction? He just grinned in a way seemed to say "Alright, let's just go and get on the plane for our next game".
3. Duncan cracking up at Crawford's ridiculous foul call. He had the last laugh eventually.
4. After SA's 90-85 loss to Dallas, Poppovich says "We're in good shape if we can hold Dallas to 88 points". The last 2 points were garbage points, again, a non-trash talking confidence about Coach Pop.
5. This team knows the league doesn't owe them a championship, they may complain during a game (Name a team that doesn't), but they never claimed to have given away a series to a team, nor blame a series loss on referees. They will go out and play to win every night.
6. They were confident enough to rest their Big Three on the final 2 games of the season. You can't say the same about the other West powers.

A controlled confidence + personnel (A team who goes 25-3 doesn't win 25 of 28 by accident. Duncan sat out the last 2 1/4 games of the final 3 games which were losses. Parker and Ginobili sat out the last 2.) Also, Detroit twice, Houston, Utah, and Phoenix (held to a season low FG%) were all included in that stretch.

Don't expect this team to just go away this year. Of course they need to not go small, but we've heard that on here countless times.

SkunkinDuncan
04-20-2007, 05:28 PM
I would think their being a better team would be a better reason. And a lot less to read.

gospursgooo
04-20-2007, 05:29 PM
Every other year, baby! Every other year! (Except 2001.)

SpursDynasty
04-20-2007, 05:29 PM
I would think their being a better team would be a better reason. And a lot less to read.

The argument of "the Spurs are a better team" is obvious enough. Most people will knock that one down though.

So I went with controlled confidence and mentality.

AnkleBreaker21
04-20-2007, 05:30 PM
shit i hope so

SpursDynasty
04-20-2007, 05:31 PM
Best chances of a championship

1. San Antonio/Miami
2. Dallas
3. Detroit

Two of the last 3 NBA champions are still good enough to win it this year. That is why Dallas is behind them. I do think Miami has as good a chance as SA.

td4mvp21
04-20-2007, 05:34 PM
We have the capability. I just don't know how the fuck we are going to do it. It's going to be so hard. Phoenix and Dallas with NO homecourt? That's fucking hard.

LEONARD
04-20-2007, 05:38 PM
As Dallas proved last year, winning a championship isn't done with just personnel and scoring alone. There's something to be said about the quiet, non-trash talking confidence of the Spurs.

1. "I hear all this about other teams being more athletic than us. So basically we just need to figure out how to score one more point. How much more athletic is that?" - Poppovich's comments after the Game 7 defeat at the hands of Dallas. He's pretty much right. A firm, non trash talking statement.
2. At the end of Dallas' 95-92 win against SA this season, Dirk very clearly fouled Finley while he was shooting a 3, but no foul was called to end the game. Poppovich's reaction? He just grinned in a way seemed to say "Alright, let's just go and get on the plane for our next game".
3. Duncan cracking up at Crawford's ridiculous foul call. He had the last laugh eventually.
4. After SA's 90-85 loss to Dallas, Poppovich says "We're in good shape if we can hold Dallas to 88 points". The last 2 points were garbage points, again, a non-trash talking confidence about Coach Pop.
5. This team knows the league doesn't owe them a championship, they may complain during a game (Name a team that doesn't), but they never claimed to have given away a series to a team, nor blame a series loss on referees. They will go out and play to win every night.
6. They were confident enough to rest their Big Three on the final 2 games of the season. You can't say the same about the other West powers.

A controlled confidence + personnel (A team who goes 25-3 doesn't win 25 of 28 by accident. Duncan sat out the last 2 1/4 games of the final 3 games which were losses. Parker and Ginobili sat out the last 2.) Also, Detroit twice, Houston, Utah, and Phoenix (held to a season low FG%) were all included in that stretch.

Don't expect this team to just go away this year. Of course they need to not go small, but we've heard that on here countless times.

and with that, the Spurs have been JINXED by SpursDynasty :lol

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62275

*bookmarked* too by the way... :fro

SkunkinDuncan
04-20-2007, 05:39 PM
The argument of "the Spurs are a better team" is obvious enough. Most people will knock that one down though.

So I went with controlled confidence and mentality.

I hear ya, I'm just into the whole brevity thing. Plus the most obvious answer is usually the correct one. The Spurs should win the series because they are the better team.

SpursDynasty
04-20-2007, 06:14 PM
and with that, the Spurs have been JINXED by SpursDynasty :lol

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62275

*bookmarked* too by the way... :fro

The Spurs will go out and play their game...whether win or lose, regardless of what I said here. If Denver comes out and shocks the heck out of the Spurs, then ok. I just don't see that happening though. Who knows.

Cara De Dedão
04-20-2007, 06:21 PM

And 2007, baby.

SilverPlayer
04-20-2007, 08:12 PM
Personally I give us one chance in three.

sribb43
04-20-2007, 10:02 PM
I'm not knocking the spurs saying they cant win it, because I think they have as good of a chance to win it. But that just seems like a list of excuses to me

Obstructed_View
04-21-2007, 04:41 AM
We have the capability. I just don't know how the fuck we are going to do it. It's going to be so hard. Phoenix and Dallas with NO homecourt? That's fucking hard.
The one, and probaby only, nice thing about not having home court is that you have a couple of opportunities to steal it back right away, especially against a team that can start to doubt itself. The Spurs did a good job of that against Phoenix in the WCF. If Phoenix or Dallas play all fucking year to get HCA and have it snatched from them it will be disheartening. If they don't stop to admire their work or go small for 20 minutes at a time they should have a pretty good chance to go as deep as they want.