PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Spurs notebook

THE SIXTH MAN
04-21-2007, 12:12 AM
mysanantonio.com (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA042107.03Q.BKNspurs.notebook.2e3dbdd.html)
Spurs notebook

Web Posted: 04/20/2007 10:19 PM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

Spurs center Fabricio Oberto has passed follow-up tests after a complicated procedure to correct an irregular heartbeat and could be cleared to practice today.
Oberto didn't work out with the team Friday, but coach Gregg Popovich said if he checks out fine after another test he could be practicing today and playing Sunday.

"This is a good reason to be cautious," Popovich said.

Oberto had the procedure Wednesday night after he complained of feeling "racy." The problem stemmed from a blow to the throat in Sunday's game against Dallas.

Without a change this season in the NBA's postseason eligibility rules, the Spurs might have been prompted to leave Oberto off the playoff roster.

The NBA no longer requires teams to designate 13 eligible players for the playoffs before they begin. Now, all players on each team's roster are eligible. Coaches designate 12 players to suit up for each game.

"I think it's a great rule," Popovich said. "It makes a lot of sense. It's logical and it's better for the game and better for fans. You could really get in a tough spot if you make a decision at one point, and then two weeks later an injury occurs and you picked the wrong guy. It shouldn't be about total luck. So this is good."

Tickets available: Tickets for the Spurs' first two playoff games have been selling slowly.

The team still had more than 1,400 tickets available to Sunday's opening game as of Friday morning. Close to 3,000 tickets are available to Wednesday's Game 2.

Regardless of how many more tickets the Spurs sell, the AT&T Center is expected to be filled close to capacity. The Spurs have a history — at least during the regular season — of giving some of their remaining tickets to one of their corporate sponsors or a charitable organization.

Draft potential: The Spurs barely missed on acquiring Chicago's second-round draft pick after the Bulls finished with the league's eighth-best record. But they still have reason to be more excited about this year's draft than in previous seasons.

The Spurs will have three picks: Nos. 28, 33 and 58.

The Spurs made out well by swapping last season's second-round pick (No. 59) for Milwaukee's second-rounder this year (No. 33). The Bucks' injury-plagued season allowed the Spurs to get a considerably better pick in a draft that also is supposed to be much deeper than last year's.

Slow pace in postseason: As fast as the Nuggets played during the regular season — they averaged 105.6 points, third-highest in the league — coach George Karl knows they won't score as often in the playoffs.

"I think everybody knows you're never going to play as fast in the playoffs as you do in the regular season," Karl said. "We're going to push the tempo. Phoenix is going to push the tempo. I think Washington will push the tempo. Maybe four or five teams will try to push the tempo.

"But the pendulum definitely swings. When everybody is playing at a high level of intensity, it's hard to play fast, in tempo, with pace, every possession."

No more Mr. Nice Guy: Karl began shortening his player rotation even before the playoffs arrived, and he won't expand it with the playoffs starting.

"They've earned it," Karl said. "I told them two months ago: 'If you don't start paying attention and have more focus, this is how it's going to be.'

"Short leashes, man. I'm tired of being nice. You make mistakes, you're not going to play."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

texbound
04-21-2007, 12:18 AM
Draft potential: The Spurs barely missed on acquiring Chicago's second-round draft pick after the Bulls finished with the league's eighth-best record.

Crap. Damn you Bulls and Cavs. I thought for sure they were a lock for that pick 2 weeks ago. Oh well, 28 and 33 look pretty good in this deep draft.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-21-2007, 12:26 AM
why are ticket sales so slow? has it always been like this or is the fanbase really mellowing out?

ponky
04-21-2007, 01:00 AM
why are ticket sales so slow? has it always been like this or is the fanbase really mellowing out?

dang, i didn't know that...i'm going to buy a couple now! i guess i can take my dad (a spurs fan) but he'll be surrounded by a couple of mavs fan, one on each side to cheer for the nuggets! actually, i just want to see as many playoffs games as possible that seem like they could be interesting and with dallas, san antonio and houston all under two hours from here, it's possible to go to many games this season.

it's weird in s.a., last year i bought tix to two games in san antonio through ticketmaster for the mavs/spurs second round series, i was shocked that they were available at face value

timvp
04-21-2007, 01:11 AM

Spoiled Spurs fans of today don't start buying playoff tickets until the WCF.

:oink

SAtown
04-21-2007, 01:14 AM

I honestly thought they were sold out, but as soon as I read your post, I went to TM and bought some tix. :clap

Ticket sales have declined in the first round as soon as the Spurs started winning rings.

ponky
04-21-2007, 01:21 AM
woohoo, three tickets in 124...now to find two nuggets jerseys!!! my dad will be so happy to be able to see his little spurs play ball, he can consider it an early bday gift since the spurs might not be there come his bday second week of june

THE SIXTH MAN
04-21-2007, 01:22 AM
timvp is right. Spurs fans don't start buying up tickets until the later rounds.

SpursDynasty
04-21-2007, 01:23 AM
The reason ticket sales are slow: No one wants to see the Denver Nuggets. Boring first round elimination team. 2nd round is where the real playoffs start for SA.

ponky
04-21-2007, 01:24 AM
The reason ticket sales are slow: No one wants to see the Denver Nuggets. Boring first round elimination team. 2nd round is where the real playoffs start for SA.

oh so this explains why i was able to secure tickets last year to the second round series in san antonio...good tickets...at face value...via ticketmaster....to two different games

sprrs
04-21-2007, 02:07 AM
Crap. Damn you Bulls and Cavs. I thought for sure they were a lock for that pick 2 weeks ago. Oh well, 28 and 33 look pretty good in this deep draft.

err....wasn't it that if the Bulls finish in the top 9, then the Spurs get the pick? Well if they finished in the top eight, then it's ours isn't it?

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-21-2007, 02:28 AM
oh so this explains why i was able to secure tickets last year to the second round series in san antonio...good tickets...at face value...via ticketmaster....to two different games

Silly Ponky...thinking Jeff is logical.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-21-2007, 03:24 AM
Spoiled Spurs fans of today don't start buying playoff tickets until the WCF.

:oink

Was this supposed to be a shot at me? I'm probably reading too much into your post

timvp
04-21-2007, 03:47 AM
Was this supposed to be a shot at me? I'm probably reading too much into your post

No, I was talking about Spurs fans in San Antonio. 99% of them are spoiled and don't start getting into the playoffs until the Western Conference Finals.

Until then, it's just an extension of the regular season.

angel_luv
04-21-2007, 08:01 AM
No more Mr. Nice Guy: Karl began shortening his player rotation even before the playoffs arrived, and he won't expand it with the playoffs starting.

"They've earned it," Karl said. "I told them two months ago: 'If you don't start paying attention and have more focus, this is how it's going to be.'

"Short leashes, man. I'm tired of being nice. You make mistakes, you're not going to play."

When was he ever nice?

SpursWoman
04-21-2007, 08:28 AM
It doesn't help that Fiesta is going on right now, too. All of the broke motherfuckers are saving their money for beer in little plastic cups and shitty seats to the parade. And funnell cake. :nerd

KEDA
04-21-2007, 08:53 AM
It doesn't help that Fiesta is going on right now, too. All of the broke motherfuckers are saving their money for beer in little plastic cups and shitty seats to the parade. And funnell cake. :nerd

and to ride Tparks ferris wheel and merry-go-round too!!!

p.s. dont forget Maria's Tortillas too!

texbound
04-21-2007, 09:06 AM
err....wasn't it that if the Bulls finish in the top 9, then the Spurs get the pick? Well if they finished in the top eight, then it's ours isn't it?

This next quote is from the Johnny Ludden article from above:

Draft potential: The Spurs barely missed on acquiring Chicago's second-round draft pick after the Bulls finished with the league's eighth-best record. But they still have reason to be more excited about this year's draft than in previous seasons.

The Spurs will have three picks: Nos. 28, 33 and 58.

ESPN shows the pick going to Portland.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2007/news/story?id=2782886

Round Two
31. Seattle (from Memphis)
32. Boston - (a)
33. San Antonio (from Milwaukee) - (c)
34. Dallas (from Atlanta)
35.. Seattle
36. Golden State (from Minnesota)
37. Portland
38. Orlando (from Sacramento via Utah)
39. Philadelphia (from New York) - (d, f)
40. L.A. Lakers (from Charlotte)
41. Minnesota (from Philadelphia)
42. Portland (from Indiana)
43. New Orleans/OKC
44. Orlando
45. L.A. Clippers
46. Golden State (from New Jersey)
47. Washington
48. L.A. Lakers
49. Chicago (from Golden State) - (a, e)
50. Dallas (from Miami via L.A. Lakers)
51. Chicago (from Denver)
52. Toronto
53. Portland (from Chicago) - (b)
54. Orlando (from Cleveland)
55. Utah - (f)
56. Milwaukee (from Houston) - (c)
57. Detroit
58. San Antonio
59. Phoenix
60. Dallas

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-21-2007, 09:12 AM
Tickets for the Spurs' first two playoff games have been selling slowly.

The team still had more than 1,400 tickets available to Sunday's opening game as of Friday morning. Close to 3,000 tickets are available to Wednesday's Game 2.

Regardless of how many more tickets the Spurs sell, the AT&T Center is expected to be filled close to capacity. The Spurs have a history — at least during the regular season — of giving some of their remaining tickets to one of their corporate sponsors or a charitable organization.

That's fucking weak. What the hell is wrong with people? Spoiled brats. I guess they think Tim, Manu, and Tony are going to be around forever.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-21-2007, 09:20 AM
No, I was talking about Spurs fans in San Antonio. 99% of them are spoiled and don't start getting into the playoffs until the Western Conference Finals.

Yeah, don't mind my comment, it was 4 am my time and I was very
:dizzy :lol

J.T.
04-21-2007, 09:29 AM
dang, i didn't know that...i'm going to buy a couple now! i guess i can take my dad (a spurs fan)

See, this is the problem with parenting today. It's gotten lazy. Parents say "Yo kid, here's a computer, get the fuck out of my hair for 10 hours" and they go off and become fans of some janky ass team like the Mavericks. My kids are going to be fastened to a chair and brainwashed with Go Spurs Go until their heads explode.

exstatic
04-21-2007, 09:30 AM

I actually get into the playoffs from the get-go, I just don't go to the games until the Finals. There is a reason, though. In the Duncan era, for non-Finals playoff games, the Spurs are a spiffy 2-3 when I attend. I was at both Laker A-Dome games for that horrible sweep in 2001, and game 1 vs PHO in 2003. The only non-losses were the closeout game vs. Dallas in 2001 and the MDM. For the Finals, I am 2-0, both game 1s from 2003 and 2005.

J.T.
04-21-2007, 09:34 AM

I got some cheap tickets to game 1 of that series but had to pay out the ass for game 7, which ended up being quite possibly the biggest waste of $400 in my life. I suppose the law of averages bit me in the ass for the game 7 tickets since 19 bucks for row 1 in the upper level for a round 2 game seems cheap as hell.