PDA

View Full Version : If Domination Equals Boring Then Denver is Party Central

Kori Ellis
04-21-2007, 04:22 PM
If Domination Equals Boring Then Denver is Party Central

http://www.woai.com/content/sports/spurs/story.aspx?content_id=8bdea58e-07d0-47dc-8e1b-d0f1b3fe82c3

By Michael Erler
SpursZONE.com

Are you like me? Are you getting this unshakeable sense of déjŕ vu to the spring of 2005 with your San Antonio Spurs? Manu Ginobili is dunking again. The good guys are hunting for a title again. And of course, the obnoxious Denver media is trying to start drama again.

Talk about your good omens.

Two years ago Bernie Lincicome of the Rocky Mountain news, one of the most respected people in his profession, labeled Ginobili an unrepentant flopper and Nuggets coach George Karl was quick to hitch his wagon to that horse and ride it as long as he could.

Five games worth, to be precise.

While the “flopper” label has stuck with the Argentine swingman to this day, Ginobili never let it or the Nuggets goonish tactics during that playoff series affect his play.

So this go around the Denver media has chosen even a more unflappable target. Fella by the name of Tim Duncan; you might have heard of him. When he wasn’t busy at Wake Forest laying the foundation for his dominating professional career, (and laying waste to the ACC in the process) Duncan was putting in the work at the library to earn a bachelor’s degree in psychology

Call me a homer, but I don’t think childish mind games will work against him either.

For reasons that remain between him and his maker, Mark Kiszla, of The Denver Post, has designated himself as the muckraker du jour. In an April 20th column titled “Tim's Timbre Falls Flat as Monotone,” Kiszla spends 670 words poking and prodding at all of the two-time MVP’s weaknesses. Specifically he bemoaned Duncan’s lack of facial expressions and his “impenetrable eyes.”

Ah yes, the building blocks of winning basketball. Bet you didn’t know that Steve Nash spends the first hour of his basketball camp for youngsters showing them the drills he uses to make his eyes more penetrable. Just like his defense.

Over the course of two columns in the past week Kiszla has called Duncan a whiner, a robot, and most damning of all for an athlete, soft. If the man had even a passing familiarity with those Transformers cartoons that ran during the 80’s he could have just compared the future Hall-of-Fame power forward to the Decepticon Starscream and covered that adjective trifecta in one fell swoop. Perhaps a forgivable trespass for you, the reader, but I’m afraid the Pulitzer committee will not be nearly as generous.

However the truly maddening paragraph in Kiszla’s envy-laden rant went as follows, “Although truly admirable for putting his art above the bombast that defines so many sports heroes of the 21st century, is there anybody else out there who agrees that Duncan's art most closely resembles ballet? Puts me to sleep before intermission every time.”

That compliment was backhanded more forcefully than any girly punch Carmelo Anthony could muster. If Tim is so “truly admirable” for putting substance above style, then why rip him for it? Somebody, anybody, explain that to me.

Duncan doesn’t dance after dunks or scream after blocks. He doesn’t engage in preseason holdouts or extra-marital relations. He doesn’t have a rap album or a rap sheet. He’s fathered one child and is happily married to her mother. He’s never thrown a punch on the floor and as far as I can remember, he hasn’t even picked up a flagrant foul. He doesn’t big time his teammates or coaches and has too much self-respect to trash talk.

One of perhaps the best fifteen players of all time and yet Tim Duncan is refreshingly innocent of every criticism fans lay at the feet of modern athletes. Still, this clown from The Denver Post calls him boring. Even that assertion is baseless. All anyone has to do is spend five minutes cycling through the video clips here at WOAI.com and they’d discover the big man has mastered the art of the deadpan punch-line. If only his free throws could connect as often as his barbs.

And people wonder why most jocks distrust the media. No matter how well Duncan plays, in some people’s eyes he just can’t win.

The good news for Spurs fans is that when it comes to this playoff series, neither can the Nuggets. Denver has nobody who can remotely slow down Ginobili or Tony Parker, let alone San Antonio’s automaton in the post.

Spurs in five.

Kori Ellis
04-21-2007, 04:27 PM
This written by SpursTalk poster aaronstampler.

FromWayDowntown
04-21-2007, 04:30 PM
A quality retort. :tu

SpursWoman
04-21-2007, 05:03 PM
A quality retort. :tu

Very good. :tu

T Park
04-21-2007, 05:04 PM
Is the rap album a dig at Tony Parker?

Im kidding.

Great article Aaron, keep those coming :) :tu

exstatic
04-21-2007, 05:30 PM
This written by SpursTalk poster aaronstampler.
What? I would expect at least one Parker shot in there....

Slomo
04-21-2007, 05:49 PM
Ah yes, the building blocks of winning basketball. Bet you didn’t know that Steve Nash spends the first hour of his basketball camp for youngsters showing them the drills he uses to make his eyes more penetrable. Just like his defense.
:lol nice!

J.T.
04-21-2007, 06:22 PM
I must say that was pretty good, especially the thing about Nash.

easjer
04-21-2007, 07:21 PM
Terrific, aaronstampler! Funny and to the point. Well done. A highly enjoyable read.

ALVAREZ6
04-21-2007, 07:24 PM
Spurs in 5, I must agree.

T Park
04-21-2007, 07:26 PM
I pray to god everyone saying in 5 is right.

I just don't see it being that easy...

boutons_
04-21-2007, 07:29 PM
Spurs won't lose either of the first 2 in SA this time.

Nuggets won't win both in Denver.

Spurs in 4, 5 max.

td4mvp21
04-21-2007, 07:55 PM

I just don't see it being that easy...

I thought at first it would be 5 and not that tough, but the more I think about it, the more I think it will be tough. Camby, Evans and Nene on the boards? Carmelo and Iverson, two stars? If the Spurs slip up and defense and lose focus on rebounding, they could be in trouble. They are going to have to be extremely focused.

ducks
04-21-2007, 08:39 PM
me to :rolleyes

ducks
04-21-2007, 08:40 PM
just because the spurs will win in 5 does not mean it will be easy

I think the games will be close and hard

Cry Havoc
04-21-2007, 08:55 PM
Nicely done, Aaron.

jmard5
04-21-2007, 08:56 PM
Is the rap album a dig at Tony Parker?

Im kidding.

Probably referring to headcase, ron artest...

Leetonidas
04-21-2007, 09:13 PM
Great article. :tu

NuGGeTs-FaN
04-21-2007, 09:15 PM

the Nuggets were crap on the road in 05 and they won game 1 on the road. The Nuggets just posted a franchise best road record this season.

I guarantee you they will steal at one of the first two games on the road. Their home play has been more concerning but it has been better lately.

This series will go at least 6 (no matter who ends up winning)

ALVAREZ6
04-21-2007, 09:16 PM

I just don't see it being that easy...I do

:ihit

FromWayDowntown
04-21-2007, 10:16 PM

Nuggets won't win both in Denver.

Spurs in 4, 5 max.

I'm sure it means absolutely nothing, but one common denominator in each of the Spurs' 3 championship runs is the fact that they've dropped one of the first two games in the First Round in each run. They lost Game 2 in 1999 to Minnesota; they lost Game 1 in 2003 to Phoenix; and they lost Game 1 in 2005 to Denver.

It will be interesting to see if the Spurs come out determined, motivated, and focused on Sunday evening, or if they play the sort of tentative, sloppy ball that has cost them those early games in years past.

ShoogarBear
04-21-2007, 10:25 PM
Good read.

And one additional point to FWD's: the 2004 Spurs won their last 11 regular season games and their first six playoff games.

:depressed

nkdlunch
04-21-2007, 10:43 PM

He doesn’t have a rap album or a rap sheet.

lol tpark called it

FromWayDowntown
04-21-2007, 11:01 PM
The "rap album" reference could have also been a shot at Iverson, rather than Parker.

aaronstampler
04-21-2007, 11:11 PM
Thanks for all the nice words my peeps. And don't you worry TPark and Ducks, it won't be my last column for WOAI.com, so I'll have plenty of chances to rip Tony. :smokin :toast :madrun

easjer
04-21-2007, 11:17 PM
I'm sure it means absolutely nothing, but one common denominator in each of the Spurs' 3 championship runs is the fact that they've dropped one of the first two games in the First Round in each run. They lost Game 2 in 1999 to Minnesota; they lost Game 1 in 2003 to Phoenix; and they lost Game 1 in 2005 to Denver.

It will be interesting to see if the Spurs come out determined, motivated, and focused on Sunday evening, or if they play the sort of tentative, sloppy ball that has cost them those early games in years past.

Yeah, but it seems that that loss has helped them get over whatever jitters remain and helps them crystallize their focus and run through. At least, that's the way I saw those playoff runs. In 99, they dispatched the TWolves in two more hard fought games and went on to win 10 more in a row for a new record best 12 in a row. In 2003 six was simply the magic number each time, and in 2005, they went and retooled and came back with something that worked (and then did it again in the Seattle series).

Anyway, it's easier on fan nerves if they don't drop one of the first two, but I won't give up in despair if they do. Their reaction if they drop one will speak volumes about how the rest of the playoffs will go for them. They'll either pull it together and dispatch the Nuggets or wilt and falter through a way tougher series than it needs to be.

phxspurfan
04-22-2007, 01:45 AM
I'm fine if they play tentative and sloppy. They won't lose 4 to this team. 16 straight perfectly executed wins is a lot to ask of any team. Spurs in 6, with some character-building losses.

English
04-22-2007, 01:56 AM
By Michael Erler
SpursZONE.com

Two years ago Bernie Lincicome of the Rocky Mountain news, one of the most respected people in his profession, labeled Ginobili an unrepentant flopper and Nuggets coach George Karl was quick to hitch his wagon to that horse and ride it as long as he could.

Hey folks, I'm a Nuggets fan who intended to lurk on this board, but I couldn't let this one slide. After the bolded statement, there is no reason not to read further. You know, like if you were reading a movie review which said "Rob Schneider, one of the most respected actors of his generation", you pretty much know every second you spend reading the rest of the review is wasting away precious seconds of your life. Sisters and brothers, if you read this entire Michael Erler column, gun it to the grocery store tomorrow to get your chips and dip because you need those minutes of your life back! Dude has absolutely no clue. Lincicome is the worst excuse of a writer in any profession, on any subject, in any format, on this freakin' planet. Anyone who respects him probably likes to poke themselves with hot needles.

That is all.

THE SIXTH MAN
04-22-2007, 02:26 AM
I thought it was a very good article.

milkyway21
04-22-2007, 03:49 AM
though i don't agree with all his posts at ST before, I must admit I like this article. Funny and kind of reminded me - "Why I keep cheering for the San Antonio Spurs?"

Oh I remember now, it's because of that player the stoic, Tim Duncan.

He’s never thrown a punch on the floor and as far as I can remember, he hasn’t even picked up a flagrant foul. He doesn’t big time his teammates or coaches and has too much self-respect to trash talk

good luck for tomorrow Spurs! :flag:

~Sweetmelody~
04-22-2007, 04:09 AM
Great, aaronstampler! I usually read your stuff on pounding the rock, because that is the only spurs-related site I can access at work. :lol

Because you are the same, right? Please, don't make me feel stupid :oops

:lol

milkyway21
04-22-2007, 04:20 AM
i just saw this article on CNNSi.com Spurs team page.

nice work :tu

I'm excited to see who's the next one to write another article...Ghostwriter...?

SpursWoman
04-22-2007, 07:59 AM
Probably referring to headcase, ron artest...

I thought Iverson had one, too. :nerd

SpursWoman
04-22-2007, 08:02 AM
After the bolded statement, there is no reason not to read further.

Yeah, I thought that was kind of a reach. :lol

English
04-22-2007, 10:06 AM
I did stop reading after the out of left field supposition that Bernie freakin’ Lincicome is a respected writer. But you know, I decided to consider the possibility that one idiotic statement need not render an entire blog void of redeeming qualities.

So I read it. The whole damn thing. So he’s all butt hurt over Mark Kizsla too? Oh my, this is actually worse than I thought. Time to consider other possibilities.

I actually think this guy is being generous with his “Spurs in five” prediction. Given that he thinks the San Antonio Spurs are taking on the worst Denver media columnists and not the Denver Nuggets, professional basketball club, I’d expect a prediction of a sweep.

There is no one who finds Lincicome and Kizsla more obnoxious than the citizens of Denver, Colorado. They are sad excuses for writers. To find someone who not only has to resort to taking them seriously enough to assume their writing has some significance to this playoff series, but then goes on to write a blog that emulates their peculiar brand of valueless writing while criticizing them for it… Well I’m sad to say the English language has not created an adjective that can properly convey the void of positive qualities this particular blog has reaped in its wake.

But that’s not why I write this. I write for you, dear Spurs fan. See we in Denver, we read columns by Kiszla and Lincicome and we recognize it as crap, and we call it crap. But I read this thread and see comments like “Golly gee, good read!” and I think, has this ability been lost in San Antonio? I think not.

I don’t know what to do about teenage bloggers in one sport towns that get taken seriously and published on the websites of NBC affiliates, and people thinking sports figures like deities instead of simple human beings. All I know is first you’ve got to recognize crap. You’ve got to say, “I’m a Spurs fan, goddmanit! My time has value! I can look at crap and see crap, and I don’t need to read it!” I want you to get up right now, Spurs fan, I want you to get up, sit up, go to your windows, open them and stick your heads out and yell “This is crap and I’m not going to read it anymore!” You can read better columns, but first you’ve got to recognize crap! You’ve got to say “This is crap and I’m not going to read it anymore!” Then you can figure out what to do about bad bloggers who get published when they don’t have anything to write about. But first get up out of your chairs, open the window, stick your head out and yell, and say it:

“THIS IS CRAP AND I’M NOT GOING TO READ IT ANYMORE!”

That is all.

Kori Ellis
04-22-2007, 11:20 AM
I did stop reading after the out of left field supposition that Bernie freakin’ Lincicome is a respected writer. But you know, I decided to consider the possibility that one idiotic statement need not render an entire blog void of redeeming qualities.

So I read it. The whole damn thing. So he’s all butt hurt over Mark Kizsla too? Oh my, this is actually worse than I thought. Time to consider other possibilities.

I actually think this guy is being generous with his “Spurs in five” prediction. Given that he thinks the San Antonio Spurs are taking on the worst Denver media columnists and not the Denver Nuggets, professional basketball club, I’d expect a prediction of a sweep.

There is no one who finds Lincicome and Kizsla more obnoxious than the citizens of Denver, Colorado. They are sad excuses for writers. To find someone who not only has to resort to taking them seriously enough to assume their writing has some significance to this playoff series, but then goes on to write a blog that emulates their peculiar brand of valueless writing while criticizing them for it… Well I’m sad to say the English language has not created an adjective that can properly convey the void of positive qualities this particular blog has reaped in its wake.

But that’s not why I write this. I write for you, dear Spurs fan. See we in Denver, we read columns by Kiszla and Lincicome and we recognize it as crap, and we call it crap. But I read this thread and see comments like “Golly gee, good read!” and I think, has this ability been lost in San Antonio? I think not.

I don’t know what to do about teenage bloggers in one sport towns that get taken seriously and published on the websites of NBC affiliates, and people thinking sports figures like deities instead of simple human beings. All I know is first you’ve got to recognize crap. You’ve got to say, “I’m a Spurs fan, goddmanit! My time has value! I can look at crap and see crap, and I don’t need to read it!” I want you to get up right now, Spurs fan, I want you to get up, sit up, go to your windows, open them and stick your heads out and yell “This is crap and I’m not going to read it anymore!” You can read better columns, but first you’ve got to recognize crap! You’ve got to say “This is crap and I’m not going to read it anymore!” Then you can figure out what to do about bad bloggers who get published when they don’t have anything to write about. But first get up out of your chairs, open the window, stick your head out and yell, and say it:

That is all.

:lol I think you are the one who needs to open the window and get some fresh air. It's not that serious. :lmao

FromWayDowntown
04-22-2007, 11:28 AM

That is all.

Preach much, Howard Beale?

carina_gino20
04-22-2007, 11:33 AM

uhmm...didn't you think, for a second, that maybe there probably was some...ah...yes, sarcasm, in his statement?

And kori's right, you do need to lighten up. We can form our own opinions just fine. I think aaronstampler's article was witty and precise. Of course, you don't have to agree.

English
04-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Preach much, Howard Beale?

Woo hoo! You've seen "Network"! But you still don't get the joke. Don't worry, I'll never give up on you folks.

timvp
04-22-2007, 12:55 PM
Looks like a pretty good article, although I didn't dignify Linicome or Kizla by reading their work. A lot of sports journalists are paid to shock and cause controversy, so ignoring them hurts them more than anything anyone can say.

Oh and Ginobili had more dunks last season and Duncan flagrant fouled Tim Thomas in 2001, but good job nonetheless :)

aaronstampler
04-22-2007, 01:22 PM
There is no way Manu had more dunks last year. He had more dunks in the playoffs last year than he did the regular season.

timvp
04-22-2007, 01:27 PM
There is no way Manu had more dunks last year. He had more dunks in the playoffs last year than he did the regular season.

Manu 2006-07 (http://www.82games.com/0607/06SAS4A.HTM)
Manu 2005-06 (http://www.82games.com/0506/05SAS5A.HTM)

Manu had his first dunk of the season this year with like 20 games to go. He had like five all season.

Last season, he was dunking a good amount until he got hurt versus Miami.

T Park
04-22-2007, 01:49 PM

ShoogarBear
04-22-2007, 02:02 PM
Preach much, Howard Beale?He could have saved a lot of time by just typing "I'm so brilliant but nobody will listen to me and I haven't done anything with my life!"

aaronstampler
04-22-2007, 02:13 PM
Manu 2006-07 (http://www.82games.com/0607/06SAS4A.HTM)
Manu 2005-06 (http://www.82games.com/0506/05SAS5A.HTM)

Manu had his first dunk of the season this year with like 20 games to go. He had like five all season.

Last season, he was dunking a good amount until he got hurt versus Miami.

There's a website out there that keeps track of how many dunks each player has, but I can't remember it.

FromWayDowntown
04-22-2007, 02:14 PM
He could have saved a lot of time by just typing "I'm so brilliant but nobody will listen to me and I haven't done anything with my life!"