PDA

View Full Version : Hey Angel-luv

easjer
04-21-2007, 11:50 PM
Don't know whether you like Pride and Prejudice for Colin Firth or the story (I love both equally, and also own it), but if you enjoyed it, there are some spinoff/companion series books you might enjoy.

Pamela Aidan has one of the best series out there - The Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentlemen trilogy. The individual books are "An Assembly Such as This," "Duty and Desire," and "These Three Remain." She basically rewrites the events of Pride and Prejudice from Darcy's point of view. Has, in my opinion, the best means of taking Austen's characterizations and imbuing her own style into them while remaining faithful to Austen. Beautiful prose and story lines. I couldn't wait to get my hands on the next one with each of them. And she is going to expand into a spinoff based on her trilogy, which I am looking forward to.

Another series like that I enjoy is Carrie Bebris. She writes the Mr. and Mrs. Darcy mystery novels. You definitely have to take it with a grain of salt, because her storylines can jump into left field, but she has clearly done a lot of research and writes Austen's characters and time well. The books available are Pride and Prescience, Suspense and Sensibility, and North by Northanger. The last is probably the best, but the others are well worth a read if you've got time.

Just in case you are interested.

Pistons < Spurs
04-22-2007, 12:02 AM
:tu to Jane Austen

Pride and prejudice and Sense and sensibilities were great reads.
Of course admitting that on ST will probably not improve others impression of me.....

NorCal510
04-22-2007, 12:15 AM
the hell are u talking about?

easjer
04-22-2007, 12:18 AM
:lol

You may enjoy these then. The Aidan books are among my all time favorites. She walks a very thin line beautifully, and she is as witty as Austen.

The other books might be even more enjoyable - they are fluffier, but the characterizations are dead on. But she does something very interesting in her second and third books - she brings in characters from Austen's other books. So she introduces the Dashwoods to the Darcys in the second (but allowing for publication dates, the Dashwoods are about 15-20 years from the events in Sense and Sensibility) and a couple of characters from Northanger Abbey (which is delightful if you've never read it) in the third book. And she has totally got their characters down.

easjer
04-22-2007, 12:19 AM
the hell are u talking about?

Books. Although I suspect that since they don't have pictures of naked women, they are a bit over your head. That's ok.

angel_luv
04-22-2007, 08:28 AM
Thank you Easjer! I was actually looking for some new books to read so your recommendation is very timely.

I read Mr. Darcy's story- another book telling Pride and Prejudice from Darcy's perspective.
I forgot who wrote it, but it was really good.

I will check out the series you recommended.

Thanks again.

Piston <Spurs- I don't care what the rest say, you just earned yourself cool points in my book.
I don't expect Jane Austen to be a guy's favorite author but I am always impressed when he knows who she is. :)

angel_luv
04-24-2007, 12:42 PM
Hey Easjer! :)

I ordered " An Assembly Such as This" from the library.

Can't wait to start reading it. :)

easjer
04-24-2007, 02:41 PM
I really think you'll enjoy it! I loved the first one, but the third was my favorite (just like the last third is my favorite portion of Pride and Prejudice). I was rereading it this weekend in the pool and it got wet when SFIE joined me. : ( Guess I'll have to buy another copy. : )

Pamela Aidan gives me warm fuzzies. Love those books. Let me know what you think when you are done, and I can tell you a little about Book 2!

angel_luv
04-24-2007, 03:36 PM
Will do. :)

leemajors
04-24-2007, 03:47 PM
:tu to Jane Austen

Pride and prejudice and Sense and sensibilities were great reads.
Of course admitting that on ST will probably not improve others impression of me.....

i was always fond of northanger abbey.

smeagol
04-24-2007, 03:57 PM
Angel, are you pregnant? (says so in the other thread)

angel_luv
04-24-2007, 04:06 PM
:lol

No- not unless it is another Immaculate Conception

ShoogarBear
04-24-2007, 04:06 PM
Angel's pregnant?

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!

easjer
04-24-2007, 04:13 PM
i was always fond of northanger abbey.

Oh, that one is a lot of fun! I love the opening - all about how Catherine isn't a heroine because both her parents are alive and she's only moderately attractive and hasn't had any adventures. Very funny.

I also like her fight with the laundry lists.