PDA

View Full Version : We've seen it before, but do we really get used to it?

GrandeDavid
04-22-2007, 09:07 PM
As occurred in the 2003 and 2005 championship campaigns, the Spurs opened the 2007 dash by laying more eggs than layups. Before going any further, I must disclose that I did not watch this game as I was travelling internationally at the time. But in looking at the box score and in knowing this team as thoroughly as any casual diehard fan, I'm gonna assume that the Spurs shot miserably, got pushed around on the boards and displayed nothing near novice level, video game clutch play. The Spurs just got slapped by the ever so confident Allen Iverson and Carmelo Anthony led Denver Nuggets.

But let me tell you guys something. This ain't the 2005 Nuggets. This team has ultra competitive Iverson wreaking havoc on the offensive end alongside redemption seeking Anthony. It has tough, athletic bruisers in Nene Hilario and Marcus Camby.

So while I'm not discounting the possibility of the Spurs advancing past Denver, I just want to say that I hope this team re-grows that steel set of championship-caliber playoff balls it now so desperately needs. Denver is now on an 11/12 streak and has home court advantage. I hope the Spurs can find a way to win this series. I pray that they can do it in six to get as much rest as possible against hungry Phoenix.

In conclusion, the Spurs sucked tonight. They put forth a flat peformance and let their fans down early in a playoff series, but we've seen it before. However, the Spurs deserve the benefit of the doubt that they will not lose this series, and three fairly recent championships should be enough to command respect. But deny not the fact that this specific Denver team at this point in time could run circles around that 2005 version. The Spurs are a little bit older, can they come back?

I honestly think they can and will, but the question is worth debating.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-22-2007, 09:14 PM
If this was the 2003 or 2005 Spurs, I'd say I wasn't worried, but this team is not as good as either of those teams. Tim is not what he was, Manu seems to have temporarily lost his way, and we are getting very old and slow.

Really, I think we lose this one in 7, although I HOPE we win it in 6.

Tough series ahead.

samikeyp
04-22-2007, 09:15 PM
No...losing always sucks! Do the Spurs ever do anything easily? :)

Budkin
04-22-2007, 09:16 PM
No worries. Spurs in 6.

SpursDynasty
04-22-2007, 09:16 PM
I don't think the Spurs need to be concerned with losing a playoff series until the 2nd round at earliest. To start doubting the third best record in the NBA, and best record since ASB in the first round, is a little foolish.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-22-2007, 09:19 PM
The reasons I'm worried:

1. Tim and Manu looked horribly lost tonight. I hope it was just rust from the week off.

2. We got huge contributions from Fin, Horry and Oberto tonight - we can't rely on that.

3. They killed us on the boards and i don't see how we stop that.

4. Melo and AI made our team D look like U16 girls, seriously.

5. Their bench is better than they played tonight.

Many worries. The adjustments we make for game 2 will tell us all we need to know (ie. whether we have a hope or not).

Pugglekicker_21
04-22-2007, 09:19 PM
As occurred in the 2003 and 2005 championship campaigns, the Spurs opened the 2007 with a big fat laid egg. Before going any further, I must disclose that I did not watch this game as I was travelling internationally at the time. But in looking at the box score and in knowing this team as thoroughly as any casual diehard fan, I'm gonna assume that the Spurs shot miserably, got pushed around on the boards and displayed nothing near novice level, video game clutch play. The Spurs just got slapped by the ever so confident Allen Iverson and Carmelo Anthony led Denver Nuggets.

But let me tell you guys something. This ain't the 2005 Nuggets. This team has ultra competitive Iverson wreaking havoc on the offensive end alongside redemption seeking Anthony. It has tough, athletic bruisers in Nene Hilario and Marcus Camby.

So while I'm not discounting the possibility of the Spurs advancing past Denver, I just want to say that I hope this team re-grows that steel set of championship-caliber playoff balls it now so desperately needs. Denver is now on an 11/12 streak and has home court advantage. I hope the Spurs can find a way to win this series. I pray that they can do it in six to get as much rest as possible against hungry Phoenix.

In conclusion, the Spurs sucked tonight. They put forth a flat peformance and let their fans down early in a playoff series, but we've seen it before. However, the Spurs deserve the benefit of the doubt that they will not lose this series, and three fairly recent championships should be enough to command respect. But deny not the fact that this specific Denver team at this point in time could run circles around that 2005 version. The Spurs are a little bit older, can they come back?

Holy shit, you got it all right. :lol

Budkin
04-22-2007, 09:20 PM
Dude, we are not losing 4 of 7 to the Nuggets... ain't happening.

Pugglekicker_21
04-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Game 2 qwill show who will win this series imo.

If its Denver, itll go to 7 and a wwin for them or if its the SPurs, then it will go to either 6 or 7 for them

my2sons
04-22-2007, 10:05 PM
The reason I'm worried, spurs got 10 free throws while denver got 25

NorCal510
04-22-2007, 10:05 PM
Go Warriors!

bonesinaz
04-22-2007, 10:28 PM
I never get used to it. But I expected it.

bonesinaz
04-22-2007, 10:31 PM
[QUOTE=RuffnReadyOzStyle]The reasons I'm worried:

QUOTE]

I do, make some damn shots. The Nugs had about 35 chances to rebound a Spur miss in the first half.

SenorSpur
04-22-2007, 11:03 PM
As occurred in the 2003 and 2005 championship campaigns, the Spurs opened the 2007 dash by laying more eggs than layups. Before going any further, I must disclose that I did not watch this game as I was travelling internationally at the time. But in looking at the box score and in knowing this team as thoroughly as any casual diehard fan, I'm gonna assume that the Spurs shot miserably, got pushed around on the boards and displayed nothing near novice level, video game clutch play. The Spurs just got slapped by the ever so confident Allen Iverson and Carmelo Anthony led Denver Nuggets.

Great post! The answer is no. I don't want to get used to it. I wish the Spurs would come out early and demonstrate a sense of urgency, rather than undergo these mysterious drought periods.

That said, I've got to give props to the Nuggets for handling thier business.

spursfan09
04-22-2007, 11:33 PM
NO losing sucks all the time! Spurs can't afford to give games up like this... anymore. They aren't as young as they used to be, and they definitly are not showing hunger right now. I so used to like Allen Iverson before this game.

dbreiden83080
04-22-2007, 11:45 PM
NO losing sucks all the time! Spurs can't afford to give games up like this... anymore. They aren't as young as they used to be, and they definitly are not showing hunger right now. I so used to like Allen Iverson before this game.

Denver played well and we sucked. While i don't expect a blowout in game 2 i know the big 3 and our D will be there and going back to Denver 1-1.

spursfan09
04-22-2007, 11:49 PM
Denver played well and we sucked. While i don't expect a blowout in game 2 i know the big 3 and our D will be there and going back to Denver 1-1.

oh yeah I have confidence the Spurs will take the next one, and the series don't worry. I was just saying...losing sucks no matter what.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-22-2007, 11:53 PM
The reasons I'm worried:

I do, make some damn shots. The Nugs had about 35 chances to rebound a Spur miss in the first half.

Fair point.

Voice of Truth
04-23-2007, 12:16 AM
Nuggets SWEEP!

xamila rey
04-23-2007, 01:09 AM
for manus style of play one week off is too much
i dont think Duncan can play worst than this,
so we will be fine, we lost only for few points.

Spurfect.
04-23-2007, 02:13 AM
Not thrilled about the way the Spurs played today..

Cry Havoc
04-23-2007, 03:03 AM
We saw rest vs. rust tonight. Rust was more prominent.

We saw it with the Mavs too, and would have seen it with the Suns if the Lakers were not an abjectly horrible team that really has no business even being in the playoffs. They dominated the Suns until Kobe decided that he was tired.

If there is a single game I would have to choose to lose in a Finals run, it's Game 1 of Round 1. Players are still shaking off the effects of sitting for a while. It happens. The fact that the two best teams in the league had it go down on the same night is pretty convincing that they're both a step slow from rest. In 3 games, that will pay dividends.