PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the small ball sucks boys?

picnroll
04-22-2007, 11:20 PM
Nellie just pimped Dallas with small ball smaller than anything the Spurs ever threw at Dallas. Explanations please.

Bob Lanier
04-22-2007, 11:22 PM
The Warriors' midsize players are a lot more talented offensively and athletic defensively than anyone their size on the Spurs' roster?

Budkin
04-22-2007, 11:26 PM
Nellie has always played small... Pop only did it because our bigs weren't doing shit.

NO LIMIT ARMY COMMANDER
04-22-2007, 11:27 PM
If the Spurs had that personnel, small ball would be worshipped here.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-22-2007, 11:28 PM
Nellie just pimped Dallas with small ball smaller than anything the Spurs ever threw at Dallas. Explanations please.

Um, more than one wing player under the age of 35?

That, and when did Tony ever have a game like Baron Davis just laid down on _allas? Shit, if Tony was going off for 33 and 8 assists, we probably would have won last year too :lol

The big thing is Golden State played this way all year long, they prepped for it for 82 games.

Last year, we played traditional bigs all year long and then abandoned it and tried to figure out how to play small ball on the fly.

T Park
04-22-2007, 11:28 PM
Game 6 vs Sacramento last year aggie.

But you missed it with your "I hate Parker" shirt on.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-22-2007, 11:30 PM
Game 6 vs Sacramento last year aggie.

But you missed it with your "I hate Parker" shirt on.

Um, saw it, tell me how many wins that counted for in the Mavs series again.

T Park
04-22-2007, 11:31 PM
when did Tony ever have a game like Baron Davis just laid down on _allas

You said when did he ever have a game like baron davis just laid down.

Nothing about laying it on the mavericks.

T Park
04-22-2007, 11:32 PM
Nothing about how many it meant vs dallas either.

If your gonna talk shit about Parker at least get it right.

sribb43
04-22-2007, 11:35 PM
Avery must have consulted Pop about switching up your entire game plan you have had all year to adjust to small ball. Why not play Damp all game when he is part of the reason for 67 wins, and you decide to play Devean George at center to matchup with Al Harrington?

nkdlunch
04-22-2007, 11:37 PM

Dallas just got a piece of their own medicine.

Does not mean warriors will win the series.

ducks
04-22-2007, 11:37 PM
Um, more than one wing player under the age of 35?

That, and when did Tony ever have a game like Baron Davis just laid down on _allas? Shit, if Tony was going off for 33 and 8 assists, we probably would have won last year too :lol

The big thing is Golden State played this way all year long, they prepped for it for 82 games.

Last year, we played traditional bigs all year long and then abandoned it and tried to figure out how to play small ball on the fly.
spurs record in postseason sucks when tp has 8 assist

johngateswhiteley
04-22-2007, 11:38 PM

why are people so damn stupid? fuck. the only reason it works for golden state is b/c they have MUCH better personnel for small ball play.

itzsoweezee
04-22-2007, 11:43 PM

you are one dumb motherfucker

ploto
04-22-2007, 11:43 PM
Do you not get it-- Dallas was stupid to play small ball.

johngateswhiteley
04-22-2007, 11:44 PM

and that too.

NO LIMIT ARMY COMMANDER
04-22-2007, 11:45 PM

The series may be over in 4 if they go "big."

whottt
04-22-2007, 11:45 PM
IF we had a legit SF, small ball wouldn't hurt us...the difference between us and every other teams small lineup...when we run it, we are usually playing a 34+ year old Shooting Guard at the PF position.

There's the difference....if we even had Matt Barnes, I'd be happier with small ball...we don't have a SF, that's why small ball sucks for us.

whottt
04-22-2007, 11:46 PM
PS: IF we had a SF, I'd be a lot happier about our matchup with Denver as well. Melo is going to fuck us all series...we have no one who can guard him. And no one can guard AI.

NO LIMIT ARMY COMMANDER
04-22-2007, 11:46 PM
Harrington poses a matchup problem for the Warriors just like Dirk did for the Spurs last playoffs. AJ may fire up the DVD from last year to see what Pop did.

NO LIMIT ARMY COMMANDER
04-22-2007, 11:47 PM
IF we had a legit SF, small ball wouldn't hurt us...the difference between us and every other teams small lineup...when we run it, we are usually playing a 34+ year old Shooting Guard at the PF position.

There's difference....if we even had Matt Barnes, I'd be happier with small ball...we don't have a SF, that's why small ball sucks for us.

Key is Harrington up front.

ploto
04-22-2007, 11:50 PM
Sours had a SF who could play in small ball and let him go.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-22-2007, 11:51 PM

There's the difference....if we even had Matt Barnes, I'd be happier with small ball...we don't have a SF, that's why small ball sucks for us.

Or Buckets... at this point we may have to throw White into the fire.

whottt
04-22-2007, 11:52 PM
Well Buckets of course...but even Barnes would be better at it.

We can throw White out there...but he's another 6'7 210lb shooting guard.

whottt
04-22-2007, 11:55 PM
Key is Harrington up front.

I was pretty impressed with Jack tonight.

jmard5
04-22-2007, 11:59 PM

Spurs' bigs are not agile.
Spurs' bigs are not outside shooters.
Spurs' bigs are not that athletic.

Obstructed_View
04-23-2007, 12:06 AM
The Spurs won 63 games last year with one lineup, and then suddenly abandoned it in favor of a smaller one for the playoffs against an inferior team and they lost because their defense dried up.

Golden State has been running small ball all year, as has Nellie.

AJ won 67 games with one lineup, and then suddenly abandoned it in favor of a smaller one for the playoffs against an inferior team and it predictably bit him in the ass when his defense dried up.

NO LIMIT ARMY COMMANDER
04-23-2007, 12:07 AM
This series is over in 4 if AJ goes back to his regular lineup.

johngateswhiteley
04-23-2007, 12:09 AM
This series is over in 4 if AJ goes back to his regular lineup.

not a chance, but the warriors still may win. we shall see...

sabar
04-23-2007, 12:10 AM
Yeah it will be, GS will run circles around AJ's bigs.

NO LIMIT ARMY COMMANDER
04-23-2007, 12:10 AM
Yeah, maybe the Mavs luck out and win one.

The Truth #6
04-23-2007, 12:13 AM
I think GS' current small ball lineup has only been together for like 10 games. I believe Biedrens had been starting for a good chunk of the year. Could be wrong...

Obstructed_View
04-23-2007, 12:15 AM
Seems funny how few people equate the value of shot blockers to a good defensive team, or don't question how teams score so much in the paint once they are gone. I will never understand why the better team would ever feel the need to make adjustments to its opponent rather than forcing the opponent to adjust to them.

NO LIMIT ARMY COMMANDER
04-23-2007, 12:17 AM
When you can play a 5 man who is excellent 20 feet from the rim the value of those shotblockers is greatly diminished.

Obstructed_View
04-23-2007, 12:25 AM
When you can play a 5 man who is excellent 20 feet from the rim the value of those shotblockers is greatly diminished.
Except that teams don't win against smallball with 20 foot jumpers, they win with layups. A jumper is a lower percentage shot than a layup or a free throw. Jump shooting teams can win a couple of games, but they don't typically win a series, let alone championships.

shyne
04-23-2007, 12:34 AM
Except that teams don't win against smallball with 20 foot jumpers, they win with layups. A jumper is a lower percentage shot than a layup or a free throw. Jump shooting teams can win a couple of games, but they don't typically win a series, let alone championships.

Thats why they will keep having Baron drive or post up, if they put George on him he can beat him to the basket, and he can post up Devin or Terry. Dallas will prolly find a way to win this series, but they are gonna come out of it beat the fuck up.

Kori Ellis
04-23-2007, 01:17 AM

Their small ball players can rebound.

Shank
04-23-2007, 01:23 AM
Thats why they will keep having Baron drive or post up, if they put George on him he can beat him to the basket, and he can post up Devin or Terry. Dallas will prolly find a way to win this series, but they are gonna come out of it beat the fuck up.

I have no idea what Avery was thinking by putting George on Baron for most of the game. Why not let Howard have that assignment?

SRJ
04-23-2007, 01:33 AM

Bingo...when the Spurs went to small ball last year vs. Dallas, we got killed on the boards. We'd get some stops but give it right back after a Dallas ORB.

Nbadan
04-23-2007, 03:05 AM
Spurs smalls would get killed by the Denver smalls. X-factor is Duncan. Spurs need to get NeNe in early foul trouble. Camby won't be able to keep up physically.

Obstructed_View
04-23-2007, 03:20 AM
They are also one of the top shot blocking teams in the league.

ChumpDumper
04-23-2007, 04:07 AM
Their small ball players can rebound.Exactly. That and they can defend the tall SFs/small PFs they are matched up against. I think Finley plays that role to the best of his ability. He's simply miscast. That's why I couldn't understand why guys like Sharrod Ford or Jamar Smith weren't kept -- with all their faults and rawness -- for the simple reason we had no other player on the team that fit their description.

wildbill2u
04-23-2007, 09:33 AM
To paraphrase Clint: A team has to know its limitations.

And you have to play within them. Right now our problem isn't so much our lineup match against Denver, but the fact that they are beating us up to beat us.

We played hard but most of the bodies on the floor all night were Spurs. Duncan was flat inTIMidated.

DarrinS
04-23-2007, 09:54 AM
It might have helped Dallas if Shithouse, I mean Stackhouse, had shown up to play.

In 20 minutes of play he was 0 for 8.