PDA

View Full Version : Mike Monroe:Spurs notebook

THE SIXTH MAN
04-23-2007, 02:05 AM
Link (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA042307.04D.BKNspurs.notebook.3b0f063.html)
Spurs notebook: Solid game doesn't satisfy Horry

Web Posted: 04/23/2007 12:36 AM CDT

Mike Monroe
Express-News

There were some "Big Shot Rob" moments for the Spurs in their loss to the Denver Nuggets on Sunday, but Robert Horry found little satisfaction in having made two 3-pointers and scoring 14 points off the bench.
After the Spurs fell behind by 10 points with 3:25 remaining in the game, Horry capped a 6-0 run with his second 3-pointer of the game.

In the end, though, Horry was left to lament the fact the Spurs had been unable to contain Denver power forward Nenê on the offensive boards.

"The thing about that is, they take a lot of outside shots," Horry said. "You've got a big, strong guy like Nenê on your back and you give up a couple inches, and he can jump and get the rebounds. He gets the rebounds right off your hands.

"He's a monster on the boards, so we've got to play him like we used to play (Dennis) Rodman: Just push him out of bounds and don't even worry about it."

Horry credited the AT&T Center crowd for getting his playoff juices flowing.
"It's the energy in the gym," Horry said. "There's just something special about the playoffs. The fans come in hyped, and that gets you hyped and helps give you a push."

Don't cry for George: Nuggets coach George Karl was asked, yet again, about his criticism of Manu Ginobili's "ugly" game during the Spurs-Nuggets first-round matchup in 2005.

Not only did Karl vow not to say anything negative about Ginobili ever again, he volunteered to help out if Ginobili conducts a basketball camp in Argentina.

"He's wonderful," Karl said. "If he asks me to go to his camp in Argentina, I'll come. If I need a vacation, I'll be glad to go down and hang out with him."

A.I. supports Virginia Tech: Allen Iverson wore a Virginia Tech patch on the powder blue sleeve he wears on his right arm in all games. Thirty-two people at Virginia Tech were killed Monday by a lone gunman.

"I just wanted the people of Virginia Tech to know that we were thinking about them," Iverson said. "The incident really hit home for me because I am from Virginia."

Bowen in trouble early: Bruce Bowen played only 19 minutes after he was called for two fouls in the first quarter.

With the Spurs needing to swallow a 10-point deficit in the fourth quarter, coach Gregg Popovich left Bowen on the bench to get another scorer on the floor.

"It's hard whenever you get quick fouls in this game," Bowen said. "Now you're really aware of that. You're not allowed to be as aggressive or you're just trying to stay away from contact any time you're guarding someone.

Ginobili's summer plans: Manu Ginobili will announce today whether he will play for Argentina in this summer's Tournament of Americas in Las Vegas.

Ginobili will make the announcement in a column he writes for an Argentine newspaper. He has previously said he was leaning against playing in the Olympic-qualifying event.

Barbosa expected to win: Phoenix's Leandro Barbosa is expected to be named the NBA's Sixth Man of the Year today. Ginobili was among the top candidates.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Johnny Ludden contributed to this report.

T Park
04-23-2007, 02:14 AM
Barbosa expected to win: Phoenix's Leandro Barbosa is expected to be named the NBA's Sixth Man of the Year today. Ginobili was among the top candidates.

congrats to LB.

Well deserved.

THE SIXTH MAN
04-23-2007, 02:27 AM
Horry credited the AT&T Center crowd for getting his playoff juices flowing. "It's the energy in the gym," Horry said. "There's just something special about the playoffs. The fans come in hyped, and that gets you hyped and helps give you a push."
Its about damn time people started to get in to the game. :flag:

Nbadan
04-23-2007, 02:52 AM
Barbosa expected to win:

Who drafted Barbosa again? Errrrrrrrrrrrrr...................

:bang

Kori Ellis
04-23-2007, 02:53 AM
Its about damn time people started to get in to the game. :flag:

The crowd was awesome (especially) in the first half today. It was like a WCFinals crowd rather than a First Round crowd.

jaespur21
04-23-2007, 03:24 AM
The crowd was awesome (especially) in the first half today. It was like a WCFinals crowd rather than a First Round crowd.

i was @ the 05 game and remember goin crazy cuz the crowd wasnt that loud......... spurs by 15 in game 2 make the vbookie kori.....i bet on it

Edit: i forgot por favor

MannyIsGod
04-23-2007, 03:27 AM
Yeah - they were coming through loud over the TV. Hopefully they come out loud and hungry in game 2.

WalterBenitez
04-23-2007, 06:01 AM
I am sad about Manu not playing for ARG :pctoss, congrats Leandrinho that guy rocks ... to be honest is the only Brazilian that plays with the flavor brazilians' soccer stars do. :clap

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-23-2007, 08:22 AM
Yeah - they were coming through loud over the TV. Hopefully they come out loud and hungry in game 2.

Damn straight!

I know it was only regular season, but the crowds disappointed me on my trip this year.

In 2003, every game was electric (and I went to 12 in all!), and you could tell that everyone really cared, but this year the place was a lot quieter, and half of the charter level don't make it back to their seats until halfway through the third... disappointing. I hope everyone brings it fully for every game from now on, but I think for some people it's just become a social outing...

THIS IS OUR SPURS!

C'MON FANS, LETS MAKE OUR GYM INTIMIDATING AGAIN! :ihit