PDA

View Full Version : The suspensions are out!!!

RoyerReptiles
11-21-2004, 05:53 PM
This is my first post, so i thought i'd have a good one.

Espn news just reported Artest is gone for the season, SJax got 30 games, J O'neal 25, Wallace 6 games, and that there were a few 1 gamers (Reggie Miller, Derrick Coleman to name a couple). I'm not sure of the rest, I'll throw them out when I hear them.

Stern is supposed to give a little announcement at Madison Square Garden in a little bit, and they will have that on ESPN News as well

Marcus Bryant
11-21-2004, 05:56 PM
Good. Wallace got too many though.

ggoose25
11-21-2004, 05:58 PM
nice, i like it

Kori Ellis
11-21-2004, 06:00 PM
Thanks for posting. Welcome to the Forum.

RoyerReptiles
11-21-2004, 06:00 PM
Anthony Johnson also got 5 games

Stern will be on in thirty minutes according to ESPN News, which should make that about 5:30m central.

Tres_Till_it_MHz
11-21-2004, 06:01 PM
WOW thirty games, no more complaing about free time to promote the cd. I'm sure a grievance will be filed now by the players assosciation.

Kori Ellis
11-21-2004, 06:02 PM
WOW thirty games, no more complaing about free time to promote the cd

He is saying that Artest got the rest of the season -- not 30 games.

adidas11
11-21-2004, 06:03 PM
The suspensions sound about right to me. Artest should be gone for the season.

It is very disappointing that the NBA didn't take a stand against the Pistons fans though. They have basically given the green light to all other NBA fans that they can do whatever they want, without consequence.

Overall, the NBA was very soft on this issue.

Marcus Bryant
11-21-2004, 06:04 PM
Kick him out of the league for all I care.

J O'Neal should have gotten an extra 20 because he did something that stupid.

Das Texan
stephen jackson should of gotten more.

ben wallace got too many.

but other than that its good.

i made vbookie money, i'm happy.

FromWayDowntown
This appears to be the final word. I think those suspensions are about right. There was no way Artest should have been allowed to play again this season. Jackson gets a lesser penalty because he was perhaps trying to help Artest, but he still violated the golden rule and should face a severe penalty for that. I think the suspension for O'Neal is a bit light, given his haymaker to the fan, but the league may have taken into account the fact that the fan was on the floor.

The players are made accountable for their actions -- not only in personal economic terms, but also in terms of the negative impact to their team and its fans. Had the league gone softer on this, the deterrent effect would have been nil.

Now, the league needs to seriously fine the Pistons and mandate that the fans who were involved in this fracas are to never be admitted to any NBA arena ever again.

Kori Ellis
11-21-2004, 06:05 PM
It is very disappointing that the NBA didn't take a stand against the Pistons fans though. They have basically given the green light to all other NBA fans that they can do whatever they want, without consequence.

I don't think the investigation of the fans is over yet.

boutons
11-21-2004, 06:06 PM
yep, Wallace got screwed. Only a single shove, equivalent to a flagrant foul. 1 game suspension for BW would have been fair.

edit: OK Kori, for all that I didn't know about, Ben got his desserts.

Marcus Bryant
Punish all fans because of a couple? Dumb. Apparently the NBA thought so too.

RoyerReptiles
If you're going to talk about the rivalry between these two teams, I guess it will have to be put on hold as the Pistons are definately coming out ahead on this.

While I don't condone what the fan did, you could say that he has done more than any other fan to help his team win by helping Artest find his way out for the year.

I guess the Heat are the only other team left in the East that should give the Pistons a run for their money.

adidas11
11-21-2004, 06:07 PM
Who needs an investigation Kori?

Ban all Pistons fans from the stadium for several games. The organization has to be punished for this incident as well. The players have to be protected.

Kori Ellis
11-21-2004, 06:08 PM
Wallace did more than just the initial shove. He continued taunting Artest when he was laying down. He threw a towel at him. And he went into the stands.

I thought he'd get five games. So six isn't that bad.

adidas11
Reggie Miller got suspended one game. So did Chauncey Billups, and a few others as well.

timvp
Who needs an investigation Kori?

Ban all Pistons fans from the stadium for several games. The organization has to be punished for this incident as well. The players have to be protected.

:wtf

Only two or three Piston fans did anything wrong. When the players run into the stands, they are free game.

Marcus Bryant
Punished because of the actions of 3 fans? Just dumb.

ducks
you know what

pacers are actually better off without artest
he cost them last year in playoffs
they do not have worry about his stupid stuff
if

Kori Ellis
11-21-2004, 06:09 PM

You can't ban all the fans for the actions of a few.

You want to hurt the organization?? Start taking away picks.

adidas11
11-21-2004, 06:10 PM
Nope, there were fans who were also coming out on to the floor, confronting players. And a LOT of fans were throwing shit directly at the players.

See what happened to AS Roma in the Champions League.

The NBA was EXTREMELY soft on this issue. Pathetic.

Kori Ellis
11-21-2004, 06:12 PM
Nope, there were fans who were also coming out on to the floor, confronting players. And a LOT of fans were throwing shit directly at the players.

I understand they are investigating all fans that were on camera doing any of these things. Even if 1,000 fans were at fault, you can't deny the whole fan base.

scott
11-21-2004, 06:13 PM
It was hard to tell by the video, but it looked like Rasheed Wallace might have been up in the stands too (although maybe just to break stuff up). I take it he didn't get a fine or suspension?

Marcus Bryant
Oh give it a rest already about your soccer example. Artest was hit with plastic cup full of beer thrown by one fan. Fuck, I don't recall you ever having a problem with Jack Nicholson walking on the floor. Damn you are a fucking dumbass.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
the only question i have is.... is artest suspended for just the season... or for the playoffs too?

ducks
dude after the players went after fans
fans have the right to defend themselves

nba is not soccer

it runs how it runs
it has been very successfull
much more then soccer
I think you take the first round draft pick from pacers so they do not tank

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
even though it will be tough for the pacers to reach the playoffs now

timvp
11-21-2004, 06:15 PM
The NBA is soccer. Those Euro soccer fans are crazy. They kill each other after games. In South America, they kill the players.

Let us know when something like that happens in the NBA.

Marcus Bryant
The fans didn't get out of hand until Artest and Jack decided to run into the stands. Small wonder, considering that fans were being beat up by them.

adidas11
It looks like I'm getting under Marcus's skin. And very easily, I might add.

The fans have no right to throw shit, or to come out on the floor. As the home organization, the Pistons have to be punished. An example must be set that this type of behaviour is not appropriate.

Marcus, you're making yourself look like an ass, throwing childish taunts for no reason. No wonder GhostWriter has historically ripped you apart on these message boards.

ducks
11-21-2004, 06:16 PM
Jack Nicholson walking on the floor.

had the nba had the nerve to throw him out
the piston fan might have not done what he did

but he thought if he could go on the court and get away without stupid stuff why not him

ducks
11-21-2004, 06:17 PM

The fans have no right to throw shit, or to come out on the floor. As the home organization, the Pistons have to be punished. An example must be set that this type of behaviour is not appropriate.

Marcus, you're making yourself look like an ass, throwing childish taunts for no reason. No wonder GhostWriter has historically ripped you apart on these message boards.

does Jack Nicholson have the right to walk on the court?

Marcus Bryant
11-21-2004, 06:20 PM
When you continually repeat a nonsensical argument like that then prepared to be called on it. It's also not surprising that you have found Ghost's arguments compelling. Notice how practically no one in this forum has agreed with you? Stick to soccer, for you don't know shit about the NBA.

Brodels
11-21-2004, 06:21 PM
You might as well punish fans in San Antonio, Los Angeles, and Portland, too. They had just as much to do with the fiasco as most of the fans in Detroit did.

If you want to blindly accuse ten year old kids and upstanding fans of wrongdoing and punish them accordingly, go ahead. I'll go with punishing the fans that actually were involved. There were many fans involved, and the league should work as hard as it can to make sure that as many of those fans as possible get the harshest penalty allowed.

Why are you accusing ten year old kids in the upper deck of wrongdoing? Your position on this issue makes absolutely no sense.

ducks
11-21-2004, 06:23 PM
just wait tell the criminal charges come out against oneal,jackson and maybe ron

Kori Ellis
11-21-2004, 06:24 PM
NBA suspends Artest for rest of season
Associated Press
NEW YORK - Ron Artest was suspended for the rest of the season Sunday as the NBA came down hard on three members of the Indiana Pacers for fighting with fans when a melee broke out at the end of a game against the Detroit Pistons.

Overall, nine players from the teams were banned for 143 games, including some of the harshest penalties the league ever issued. Artest is the first player to be suspended for nearly an entire season for a fight during a game.

Indiana's Stephen Jackson was suspended for 30 games and Jermaine O'Neal for 25. Detroit's Ben Wallace - whose shove of Artest after a foul led to the 5-minute fracas - drew a six-game ban, while Pacers guard Anthony Johnson got five games.

Four players were suspended for a game apiece: Indiana's Reggie Miller, and Detroit's Chauncey Billups, Elden Campbell and Derrick Coleman.

All of the suspensions are without pay.

Artest, O'Neal and Jackson - who all threw punches at fans in the stands or on the court at the end of the nationally televised Pacers-Pistons game Friday night - began serving their suspensions Saturday. Indiana, limited to just six players because of the suspensions and injuries, dropped an 86-83 decision to Orlando.

adidas11
11-21-2004, 06:25 PM
I'm watching ESPNNews right now, and Mark Jackson is saying that the fans behaviour was unacceptable. And the NBA must take a stand against the fans as well, and HE is calling for some appropriate action by the league.

But you're right MarcusBryant, because Mark Jackson doesn't know shit about the NBA either (he only played in the league for 15 years or so), and you as a Monday Morning quarterback fan (who has probably never played a sport in his life) know so much more than he does.

ducks
I think the piston fans that are responisble and threw stuff should be banned from going to all sport games not just nba

Kori Ellis
I thought Fred Jones and Tinsley might get a couple games. But I guess Jones just got his ass kicked, and I guess The Janitor got off the hook.

Marcus Bryant
11-21-2004, 06:26 PM
The reason he is advancing this argument is because he wanted to play show and tell with the soccer example.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
How The F Did Sjax Get Off So Lightly???

Kori Ellis
I'm watching ESPNNews right now, and Mark Jackson is saying that the fans behaviour was unacceptable. And the NBA must take a stand against the fans as well, and HE is calling for some appropriate action by the league.

Everyone is calling for action against the fans. But not against ALL the fans.

ducks
11-21-2004, 06:27 PM

But you're right MarcusBryant, because Mark Jackson doesn't know shit about the NBA either (he only played in the league for 15 years or so), and you as a Monday Morning quarterback fan (who has probably never played a sport in his life) know so much more than he does.

you know most nba players are saying it is the fans fault

all espn did because they were former players

not a very srong agrument addias

Marcus Bryant
11-21-2004, 06:28 PM
Uh oh, lil' adidas is getting mad. Mark Jackson is sticking up for the players...small surprise.

adidas11
11-21-2004, 06:28 PM
So the player's opinion isn't valid?

Marcus, instead of crying and whining about my posts, why don't you come up with any suggestions about what the NBA should do about the fans? Try to add something valuable to this conversation, for once. Hopefully, with your extensive knowledge of the NBA, you can come up with something.

goliath
11-21-2004, 06:29 PM
:wow

Im surprised Stern actually had the balls to suspend Artest the whole season.

The suspensions are pretty in line with what I personally thought but I really thought Stern would try to rationalize lower suspensions with the ESPN shootaround arguement (ie it was also the fans faults)

Major props to Stern and the NBA

Brodels
11-21-2004, 06:31 PM

You still haven't explained why you think the rumble was the fault of a three year old kid sitting in the upper deck. And you still haven't explained why the NBA should punish that three year old fan sitting in the upper deck for attending a game.

Common sense reveals that the guilty parties should be punished. I mean, Ted Kaczinsky got the death penalty...should all white males be killed just because one did something bad?

Tres_Till_it_MHz
The real losers of the whole situation where the children in the audience who witnessed the disgraceful event. To hell with the suspended, they will continue to prosper without any real consequences regardless of these suspensions.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
my idea would be that the next time these 2 teams play eachother in detroit.. they should have to play in an empty arena, punish the organization by making them refund the ticket prices, followed by no beer sale allowed for the rest of the season, i dont know if its possible, but if it is, that would be my idea

Marcus Bryant
11-21-2004, 06:32 PM
Perhaps, shoe, because I already have. Your argument is silly and apparently I'm not in the minority in this forum who feels that way, not by a long shot.

SpursWoman
11-21-2004, 06:32 PM
I thought Fred Jones and Tinsley might get a couple games. But I guess Jones just got his ass kicked, and I guess The Janitor got off the hook.

:lol :lol

Brodels
11-21-2004, 06:33 PM
my idea would be that the next time these 2 teams play eachother in detroit.. they should have to play in an empty arena, punish the organization by making them refund the ticket prices, followed by no beer sale allowed for the rest of the season, i dont know if its possible, but if it is, that would be my idea

Forget that. Don't punish the entire fan base. Punish those responsible.

If you want to punish the organization, force them to have to give away all tickets and refund all pre-purchased tickets for the next five games. The fans could win tickets in some sort of lottery process. The fans get to attend, some lower income individuals get to see a game, and the Pistons lose five games-worth of revenue.

boutons
11-21-2004, 06:36 PM
"to play in an empty arena"

Yep. has happened serveral times in European football matches to chastize hooligans on both sides. hits the team's revenue pretty hard.

adidas11
11-21-2004, 06:37 PM
I can go along with that idea Brodels. It sounds good to me.

Marcus, you're not adding anything to this conversation. Next. Because it looks like several posters are also agreeing with me, along with many notable and recognized sportscasters and NBA players.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
11-21-2004, 06:37 PM
i believe you have to punish everyone in attendance, because obviously u arent gonna be able to punish every exact person who participated, i think u have to punish everyone

Kori Ellis
11-21-2004, 06:39 PM
Why would you punish people who saved money to buy season tickets to watch games with their kids and had nothing to do with the melee?

ducks
11-21-2004, 06:40 PM
I can go along with that idea Brodels. It sounds good to me.

Marcus, you're not adding anything to this conversation. Next. Because it looks like several posters are also agreeing with me, along with many notable and recognized sportscasters and NBA players.

I do not think any completly agrees with you

I do not

I think all want the fan who threw liquid on ron be punished though

Kori Ellis
11-21-2004, 06:40 PM
Stern is on now.

adidas11
11-21-2004, 06:43 PM
Kori, it's a situation where a few bad apples ruin the whole lot for everyone else. Now, do I think the NBA would have the balls to actually go through with my suggestion? Of course not. But a message has to be sent that this type of behaviour is not appropriate by the fans, whatsoever.

It's not like sports fans haven't been punished in such a way before. So there is definitely a precedence for it.

It looks like Stern is taking a stand against the fans right now live in the press conference. Of course, it's just talk, so hopefully he'll follow up with action as well.

Marcus Bryant
Oh, you found one poster and a bunch of players who predictably are siding with the players. I know you can't handle the fact that I and others have eviscerated your lame ass arguments. I've brought plenty, you've brought nothing.

myhc
I agree with this punishment. I don't think you should punish all the fans, just the ones who threw things. Ban them for the season.

Medvedenko
Punish those responsible....take away picks from the Pacers and fine the Piston organization as long as you can find deficiencies in the security contract between the NBA and the Palace at Auburn Hills. If the Pistons were compliant with all security measures there should be a complete overhaul on how security is directed on all NBA teams. This is horrible and I'm embarrassed to be a fan right now. Punks all of them...maybe they should make fighting legal in the NBA like in Hockey and punish each players 5 games if they want to fight. Maybe that will get the aggression out, but this is getting out of hand. It's this gangsta mentally that has seaped into this game and the NBA is promoting it unknowingly.

jalbre6
11-21-2004, 06:44 PM
All of these are good ideas for punishment for the city of Detroit, but remember that this city is home of the defending NBA champions, with lots of TV time and exposure this season. And that a couple hundred out of the 20,000 attending deserve punishment, not the whole fan base. They'll let the cops deal with the fans, the NBA did their part with the players.

It's completely unfair and poor business to make the Pistons play in an empty arena. How many of you guys know people that never went to a Spurs game until they won the title in '99?

adidas11
11-21-2004, 06:44 PM
Marcus, I've used a previous case as precedence. Now, whether or not you agree with it is for another matter. But I'm using facts. You're just sitting there whining and crying, as usual.

Anyhow, you're entitled to your opinion. No harm done.

Marcus Bryant
11-21-2004, 06:45 PM
One fan threw a fucking beer. In a plastic cup. One fan. Give me a break. All you bring is some lame example from Europe where fans throw real shit, not refreshments.

Punish that fan. No need to punish all fans for the actions of one. Going by your logic, all players on the court should have been punished for the actions of the few.

Marcus Bryant
11-21-2004, 06:46 PM
What previous case in the NBA? Thank you.

adidas11
11-21-2004, 06:47 PM
Nope, a fan threw a chair, a couple of fans came out on the floor, etc. It was more than just throwing a cup of Bud Light.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
Why would you punish people who saved money to buy season tickets to watch games with their kids and had nothing to do with the melee?

well it punishes the fan base as a whole, sending a message that nothing like this will be tolerated.
Why in college basketball to they punish kids on a team like michigan for a mistake chris webber made 10 years ago?
why does a team like minnesota get punished for somethin between an exec. and joe smith? why not just punish to the 2 involved?

Im only saying make it 1 game they cant go to, make either the detroit team or/and the indiana team refund all ticket prices, hell make the players pay the refunds, either way you know how heavily secured the next pacer piston game in detroit would have to be? would you want to take ur kids to a game where emotions will be flying as high as that?

jalbre6
By the way, you have to be out of your fucking mind anyone to jump into a hostile crowd in Detroit unarmed.

adidas11
Previous case in sports. Thank you. Right now Stern is talking about future actions/punishments against the fans.

Marcus Bryant
11-21-2004, 06:48 PM
You're not using facts and logic. Also, you are "whining and crying" as much as you seem to think I am. Give it a rest already. Your argument has been made in this forum already again and again. We don't need to see it for the 50th fucking time.

Marcus Bryant
11-21-2004, 06:49 PM
Again, Artest went into the crowd because the fan threw a plastic cup at him. That's what started it. At least get your "facts" correct.

ducks
11-21-2004, 06:49 PM
adidass11 you still have not answered if it was right what jack nickson did

Marcus Bryant
11-21-2004, 06:50 PM
Sure, individual fans who were involved face criminal investigation. "Previous case in sports"? Weak, to say the least. This is the US and this is pro basketball.

Try again.

Kori Ellis
11-21-2004, 06:51 PM
Good job, Mike Monroe. Getting a question in with Stern.

Medvedenko
Jack was being Jack....it's totally different, he wasn't taunting the players...I agree he probably should be been told to move..but it's LA, ratings and he's been a season ticket holder for like 20+ years.

adidas11
Who is talking about Artest? He was punished accordingly for what he did. And I fully agreed with that punishment?

Marcus, I've gotten under your skin (even when I wasn't trying to! LOL) Accept it.

jalbre6
well it punishes the fan base as a whole, sending a message that nothing like this will be tolerated. Why in college basketball to they punish kids on a team like michigan for a mistake chris webber made 10 years ago? why does a team like minnesota get punished for somethin between an exec. and joe smith? why not just punish to the 2 involved?

Wrong line of thinking, bro. UM and the T'Wolves were punished as organizations. Actual games weren't shut down or anything, just administative penalties like loss of schollys, draft picks, etc. It affected the quality of the product, but it wasn't taken away. The only real time a fanbase has been punished for the actions of players was SMU and the death penalty.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-21-2004, 06:53 PM
I'm shocked. I didn't think Stern had the balls for this.

Marcus Bryant
11-21-2004, 06:54 PM
Yes, I find your repetition of a weak argument annoying. This isn't the first time you have managed to annoy people in this forum with weak takes, as timvp will attest.

ducks
11-21-2004, 06:54 PM
Jack was being Jack....it's totally different, he wasn't taunting the players...I agree he probably should be been told to move..but it's LA, ratings and he's been a season ticket holder for like 20+ years.

that is the problem
the nba did nothing then had it i
it would have sent a message to fans

Slomo
11-21-2004, 06:55 PM
This is horrible and I'm embarrassed to be a fan right now. Well I'm not! I'm a fan of basketball and the San Antonio Spurs and neither gives me any reasons to be embarassed.

What the players AND fans did Friday in Detroit is despicable but I'm not going to let a few nutcases take away the good times and pride I've enjoyed - and probably will again - while being a basketball fan.

Is it a shame? of course it is! Was it bad for the NBA? Yes it was! Does it tarnish the sport? To a certain degree it did!

But none of this should make any (none beer throwing) fan feel embarassed or ashamed that she or he is a fan of the greatest team sport on the planet.

Marcus Bryant
He definitely interfered with a game once.

Duff McCartney
The fans have no right to throw shit, or to come out on the floor.

I don't recall you getting pissed because Jack Nicholson would run on the floor.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-21-2004, 06:56 PM
To an extent I will say the league got what it asked for, with its incessant promotion of the "thug" mentality.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
11-21-2004, 06:56 PM
damn dude... watch the replay... i see a father having to use himself as a shield over his son, so his son doesnt get hit w/any flying debri, i think u cannot have 1000's of fans throwing anything they can get there hands on, especially with children in the arena, how are u gonna punish everyfan involved???? if you punish all the fans, every single person who threw somethin will get the message

Slomo
11-21-2004, 06:59 PM
What did Stern say?

Marcus Bryant
Stern didn't announce a punishment for all Piston fans tonight, so there likely won't be any. Individual fans will likely be dealt with.

adidas11
Quote: "I don't recall you getting pissed because Jack Nicholson would run on the floor."

:)

And if my posts were so unworthy, then why is MarcusBryant so vehemently arguing against it, taking it personally as well.

Of course, David Stern, was just this moment talking about a possible future action (he did say that as of right now, he just didn't know) against the Pistons organization and the fans.

If I'm so wrong, then why is it that everyone associated with the game also agreeing with me (of course, not entirely agreeing with me, but agreeing with certain parts of my argument)?

ducks
11-21-2004, 07:02 PM
they agree with you one 1%
and you feel you are so right?

Marcus Bryant
11-21-2004, 07:04 PM
I'm in this thread because the newsconference is on. I don't recall seeing anyone "associated with the game" say that all of the Piston fans should be punished.

Sure, individual fans should be punished if they throw stuff on the court and run on the court. That's always been the case. Get a fucking clue.

adidas11
11-21-2004, 07:04 PM
And just this second, David Stern mentioned that he was OK "losing some of those fans" in order to rid the games of the bad element.

But Marcus is right, David Stern has no idea of what he's talking about.

Medvedenko
11-21-2004, 07:05 PM
The suspensions are legit...I'm ok for it. It's too bad for the Pacer fans, as they had nothing to do with this issue. It indeed is a sad day, will it get better, of course. The season is long, and we'll see many positives this year. This will be a stainded footnote, but I like what the NBA has done.
Chritmas Day:
Lakers VS Heat MSTV.

adidas11
11-21-2004, 07:05 PM
And just this moment, Stern is mentioning the soccer example that I used earlier. Stern said that he hopes that he doesn't have to do that in the future, but he would also look into it further to use as an example.

Of course, like Marcus said, my soccer example had no place in this thread, whatsoever.

Marcus Bryant
11-21-2004, 07:06 PM
George Karl just addressed this. Punishment for individual fans may be increased according to what he has heard.

End of discussion.

ALVAREZ6
11-21-2004, 07:06 PM
[B]i truly think that jackson deserves more, because he charged into the crowd throwing wild slaps and punches like the little fool that he is, and noone did anything to him to make him react like bitch
plus, he needs to cut his gay ass hair cut................

Marcus Bryant
11-21-2004, 07:07 PM
WTF? Can you even read? No one is arguing that individual fans who throw things and disrupt games shouldn't be punished. That's never been my argument.

ducks
Marcus Bryant just put him on your ignore list

adidas11 you need chill

adidas11
Good, and I'm totally Ok with individual punishments of those fans. They should definitely be barred from any future NBA games.

I'm just making my point, hoping that the NBA would do more.

Marcus Bryant
11-21-2004, 07:10 PM
Stern did not levy any punishment on the Piston fans nor the Piston organization. As for his response all he offered was a weak "we'll look into it."

Again, he emphasized punishing specific fans who commit acts.

ALVAREZ6
11-21-2004, 07:13 PM
Marcus bryant, you are a retard...........................

dcole50
11-21-2004, 07:15 PM
I feel bad for Pacer fans but this is what happens when you infect your roster with a guy like Artest. Play with fire and you will be burned.

Kori Ellis
11-21-2004, 07:15 PM
Umm.. Alvarez, try bring something to the discussion besides comments like that.

ALVAREZ6
11-21-2004, 07:18 PM
hahaha my bad

xcoriate
11-21-2004, 07:18 PM
Jackson got off extremely light, he was creating havok orgionally circling everyone wantinf to crack skulls. He was the first with his fists up. Then he flew into the stands and punched that dude pretty damn hard. I was thinking he should get the same as Artest, maybe a little less because he wasn't the first to enter the stands.

Never the less the Pacers are fucked.

TheWriter
11-21-2004, 07:21 PM
Didn't ghost at one time want Artest?

Were'nt the Spurs trying to get him and Mercer when they were in Chicago... that would of been bad. Thank god we didn't.

KEDA
11-21-2004, 07:21 PM
SJAX is a psycho!

Everyone got what they deserve!

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-21-2004, 07:24 PM
I've very satisfied with the player punishments that were handed out.

I would like to see the NBA address the Pacers and their draft pick, though.

xcoriate
11-21-2004, 07:25 PM
yeah the last thing we need is Indy getting a good pick as a result of this.

baseline bum
11-21-2004, 07:26 PM
Damn. Artest blew a hell of a shot at a title. Indy was so freaking impressive beating quality teams while playing through a ton of injuries. They might have been the best team in the league with road wins in Cleveland, Minnesota, and 45 seconds from a win to be proud of on the champ's homecourt. I really feel sorry for Reggie. This was his shot to win it all with the team he's given his career to and Artest shits on it. It's such a horrible thing for the NBA and its fans to lose one of the great teams in the league. What a bunch of jackasses though.

BTW, if Artest got the season Jack got off ridiculously light. His intents and actions were far and away the worst IMO. I know Artest started the shit, but that punch Jack delivered was ridiculous.

xcoriate
11-21-2004, 07:27 PM
have indy had a home game yet? if so what reception did they get?

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-21-2004, 07:28 PM
have indy had a home game yet? if so what reception did they get?

Last night against Orlando.

I believe it was a positive crowd. People even welcomed them home from the airport, IIRC.

xcoriate
11-21-2004, 07:29 PM
BTW, if Artest got the season Jack got off ridiculously light. His intents and actions were far and away the worst IMO. I know Artest started the shit, but that punch Jack delivered was ridiculous.

My thoughts exactly

baseline bum
11-21-2004, 07:29 PM
I'm not so worried about the draft pick, because this incarnation of the Indiana Pacers is done and we'll never see it again. Artest will either retire or be traded next season. There's no way Bird puts up with that crap.

xcoriate
11-21-2004, 07:30 PM
Last night against Orlando.

I believe it was a positive crowd. People even welcomed them home from the airport, IIRC.

Dam are you serious thats some stupid shit. Ah well crowds probably won't even tun up now :)

xcoriate
11-21-2004, 07:31 PM
Well Bird most certainly is getting anything of value back for Artest if someone is stupid enough to do it.

samikeyp
11-21-2004, 07:36 PM
In the words of the Pacers radio guy...."Boom Baby!"

Slomo
11-21-2004, 07:37 PM
Seriously guys, what did Stern say? Anything new? smart?

SequSpur
11-21-2004, 07:37 PM
What if the Pacers get the #1 pick in the lottery?

Kori Ellis
11-21-2004, 07:39 PM
Sequ, I would think they'd have to do something so that they can't get a lottery pick. The organization can't end up getting rewarded for this fiasco.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-21-2004, 07:40 PM
Cue Artest to Toronto for Vince talks ;)

SequSpur
LOL. Wouldn't that be something?

Johnny_Blaze_47
Sequ, I would think they'd have to do something so that they can't get a lottery pick. The organization can't end up getting rewarded for this fiasco.

I think the final punishment in the coffin would be to give them the final picks in the draft rounds.

FromWayDowntown
11-21-2004, 07:44 PM
Well Bird most certainly is getting anything of value back for Artest if someone is stupid enough to do it.

You mean the way Pop got equal value for Rodman in 1996? If anyone will take Artest, it certainly won't be for equal value -- there's a nuisance factor built into a transaction like that.

I can't imagine the Pacers will get the benefit of a bad season (should that follow) by also getting a lottery pick. Then again, they DO play in the East and even a bad 20-25 games might not sink them entirely from playoff participation. I have to say that the Pacers would be about the scariest #8 seed in the history of the NBA.

goliath
11-21-2004, 07:55 PM
I wonder if Artest will even bother with coming back next year. He was already talking about taking time off and even retiring before this, maybe now he'll just say screw it and go away.

Slomo
11-21-2004, 07:59 PM
Never mind it's on nba.com now.

pjjrfan
11-21-2004, 08:03 PM
I just want to go on record as saying I agree with Stern's decisions and applaud him for the firm and courageous stand he is taking in this whole matter.

Hook Dem
11-21-2004, 08:08 PM
Ron Artest is the Mike Tyson of pro basketball. Ban him for life and be done with it. (See also.....Pete Rose ). Artest makes Rose look like a saint. That dude's gonna kill somebody before it's over with.

Medvedenko
11-21-2004, 08:12 PM
I don't care about Ron Ron....Steve Nash dropped another 18 dimes....damn

Marcus Bryant
11-21-2004, 08:28 PM
Hey Alvarez, when you manage to express yourself in a manner which exceeds the 4th grade level then perhaps you will be worthy of any further attention.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-21-2004, 08:30 PM
Hey Alvarez, when you manage to express yourself in a manner which exceeds the 4th grade level then perhaps you will be worthy of any further attention.

You should probably tell him in a thread in which he posted.

Marcus Bryant
11-21-2004, 08:33 PM
Uh he posted in this thread.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-21-2004, 08:34 PM
Uh he posted in this thread.

My fault. Thought I only saw this page of posts.

*Smacks self*

samikeyp
11-21-2004, 08:35 PM
Well, Ron has that time off he wanted now! :lol

ALVAREZ6
11-21-2004, 08:37 PM
Ron Artest is the Mike Tyson of pro basketball. Ban him for life and be done with it. (See also.....Pete Rose ). Artest makes Rose look like a saint. That dude's gonna kill somebody before it's over with.

i dont agree on banning him for life, i agree with the punishment he got...
I wouldn't mind it though, Artest is a snobby cocky ass BEOTch who is always looking for excuses to go and start a fight. He'll find any oppurtunity possible to make it look like he had a reason to start somethin.

I dont care, i don't think Artest is gonna be good next season, i dont think he wants to waita year to play again.
I think that he might quit the NBA and continue his crapppy Rap dreams, and fail at that too. :hang

artest = retard

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-21-2004, 08:37 PM
Well, Ron has that time off he wanted now! :lol

Seriously now, did you just edit your post from a reply in the Duncan iPod thread or is my look at the forum going screwy?

SpursWoman
11-21-2004, 08:44 PM
Seriously now, did you just edit your post from a reply in the Duncan iPod thread or is my look at the forum going screwy?

It's been doing weird things to me, too....but I was pretty sure it was all in my head... :)

I think the penalties are just, and Wallace's too. He did a lot more to perpetuate the brawl than just a retaliating shove.

What an awful waste of talent, and I feel bad for their fans.

samikeyp
11-21-2004, 08:45 PM
no Blaze, I edited it. I put it in the wrong thread.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-21-2004, 08:46 PM
no Blaze, I edited it. I put it in the wrong thread.

Thanks for not letting me believe I'm going crazy. :lol

SpursWoman
11-21-2004, 08:46 PM
Oh, so it is all still in my head. :oops :lol

samikeyp
11-21-2004, 08:47 PM
not as far as you know! :)

smeagol
11-21-2004, 09:36 PM
:wtf

Only two or three Piston fans did anything wrong. When the players run into the stands, they are free game.

The brawl that I saw had many more fans doing stuff which was not right. And the fact Artest and SJax (the S stands for Stupid) rushed to the stands to start thier personal fight with two Piston fans, does not give the two other Piston fans the right to walk on the floor looking for trouble. And it certainly doesn't excuse the dozens of other fans throughing beer, popcorn and every kind of debris to the Pacer players as they left the court (not to mention the chair that was criminally thrown to a group of people).

I would not mind one of two games with no Piston fans in the stands.

mattyc
11-21-2004, 09:39 PM
Tinsley should have got games off for trying to be a hero with a dustpan.

Moron.

pooh
11-21-2004, 09:52 PM
I do not agree with stern hammering artest for the rest of the season and they should've given wallace the same number of games they gave J.O. and or Jax. Artest deserved at least 30 tops maybe a little more, but 73 (rest of the season) no way.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-21-2004, 09:53 PM
I do not agree with stern hammering artest for the rest of the season and they should've given wallace the same number of games they gave J.O. and or Jax. Artest deserved at least 30 tops maybe a little more, but 73 (rest of the season) no way.

Please tell me how you justify Wallace getting 20-30 games when he didn't assault any fans or go up into the stands.

pooh
11-21-2004, 10:02 PM
It all started with his shove of artest...period.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-21-2004, 10:04 PM
It all started with his shove of artest...period.

No. The pushing and jawing on the court started because of Wallace. Last I checked, Wallace didn't toss the cup.

And why should Wallace be responsible for the actions of 3 adults who made their own decisions a minute after the initial shove took place?

Marcus Bryant
11-21-2004, 10:05 PM
It started with Ron Artest not being mentally stable. Poor pooh.

ducks
11-21-2004, 10:05 PM
I wonder if reggie miller will demand to be traded

I would understand

pooh
11-21-2004, 10:10 PM
Reggie is going to have to be the glue to hold the team together right now. This will be a huge test for the Pacers, it will be interesting to see how they handle it

samikeyp
11-21-2004, 10:12 PM
Artest made a choice to go into the stands. He is responsible for his actions.

ducks
11-21-2004, 10:18 PM
one suspensions
do the team have to pay the players and then then the players pay the nba?

does the nba get all money?
do the pacers not have to give any money to these players now
basically saving their owner milliions?

I know the players do not get the money. This is a stu.pid question but I would like to know for sure who gets the money.

cashmoneydan
11-21-2004, 10:24 PM
Did Artest even go after the right guy?

Jax got off WAY too easy and pisses me off.

CNN said police should have criminal charges ready by Thanksgiving.

newbiefan
11-21-2004, 10:24 PM
one suspensions
do the team have to pay the players and then then the players pay the nba?

does the nba get all money?
do the pacers not have to give any money to these players now
basically saving their owner milliions?

I know the players do not get the money. This is a stu.pid question but I would like to know for sure who gets the money.
The "fans" that got smacked!!

ducks
11-21-2004, 10:28 PM
Did Artest even go after the right guy?

Jax got off WAY too easy and pisses me off.

CNN said police should have criminal charges ready by Thanksgiving.

yep pacers may get lucky to even have oneal, jackson and ron back next year.

alll three could go to jail

samikeyp
11-21-2004, 10:28 PM
that is true.....doubtful but true.

newbiefan
11-21-2004, 10:31 PM
where would the criminal charges take place?? Detroit I guess. If they spend jail time, would it be in Detroit?

FromWayDowntown
11-21-2004, 10:33 PM
I think these guys will be lucky to avoid jail time. The charges would be filed in Auburn Hills and prosecuted there.

Good luck, Pacers, at getting an acquittal in that community.

samikeyp
11-21-2004, 10:33 PM
good question...probably. Although if it went to trial...which I highly doubt....they would have to move it from Detroit to get a fair shake.

ducks
11-21-2004, 10:49 PM
kobe avoided jail time

these players should
but these players got caught with on film and a police men and other eyewittnesses say oneal do what he did

enough for gulity charges
I would imagine they settle out of court though

Marcus Bryant
11-21-2004, 10:53 PM
Artest will get off by reason of insanity. JO'Neal and Jack should do time for stupidity.

ducks
11-21-2004, 11:14 PM
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- The Indiana Pacers were frightened when spectators began hurling chairs, drinks, and ice at them in one of the most violent exchanges between players and fans in U.S. sports history.

"It was a scary situation," center David Harrison said. "It's literally being in a riot."

Ron Artest was suspended for the rest of the season Sunday, Stephen Jackson for 30 games, Jermaine O'Neal for 25, Ben Wallace for six, Anthony Johnson for five, and four players for one game apiece for their roles in Friday night's brawl at Detroit.

After avoiding an on-court fight with Wallace late in the game, Artest bolted to the stands, where he was hit by a cup thrown by a fan. Jackson and O'Neal also punched fans, who showered the Pacers with debris as they left the court.

"I don't know what the regulations are for these types of things, but maybe they need to be looked at more closely," Austin Croshere said after the six healthy and eligible Pacers lost to Orlando 86-83 on Saturday night. "You've seen it in baseball ... it seems to be happening more and more."

Artest apologized on Sunday. He said he respected David Stern, but called the suspension unfair.

"It is very important to me that people understand that I didn't mean for the situation to turn out like it did," Artest said in a statement.

O'Neal's agent, Arn Tellem, called his client's suspension an "outrageous decision" that singled out O'Neal in an "in an arbitrary and capricious way" and vowed to contest it.

Harrison was hit several times in the stands while trying to break up the mayhem. He said Artest responded instinctively.

"If someone is throwing something at you with intent to harm you, you're going to defend yourself," he said. "It doesn't matter if the person is a fan or whatever. I just wonder what would happen if we went to where they work and harassed them for 48 minutes to an hour and then threw a beer at them when they were trying to leave. We'd go to jail."

Harrison worried the severity of the punishment would overshadow the fans' culpability.

"A message is going to be sent to the players, but around the league, I don't know how you send a message to the fans," Harrison said Saturday. "That's going to be the only travesty about this situation."

Things were just as scary as the Pacers left the Palace.

"There was a time at the bus where they were telling us to turn off the lights because they were afraid people would shoot at our bus," Harrison said.

Harrison dismissed the notion that because the players are paid handsomely they should be able to deal with such situations.

"We endured the verbal abuse, did we not?" he said. "We do not get paid millions of dollars to get stuff thrown at us. Nobody gets paid to money to get stuff thrown at you unless you're a circus clown sitting in a booth. That's not our job.

"I don't care how much money I'm getting paid. If you're trying to harm me, and I'm in a position to defend myself, I'm going to defend myself."

Croshere said he kept waiting for security and the officials to step in.

"I think that the number of problems over the years is very low, so it would be easy to say this is an isolated incident," Croshere said. "I think when the stuff started being thrown, it would seem like security at some point would have to step in and take control of the situation."

Scot Pollard, a former member of the Pistons, was horrified.

"I just watched with disgust," he said. "I'm just glad I can tell my kids I didn't participate. The lack of security. The way we acted. The way they acted. There were a lot of poor decisions made in the heat of battle. It was just ugly. And I hope it never happens again."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BKN_BRAWL_PACERS?SITE=ININS&SECTION=SPORTS

Duff McCartney
11-21-2004, 11:17 PM
Jermaines right hook "singled out" that fan that was on the floor.

Kori Ellis
11-21-2004, 11:22 PM
Also Stern mentioned that Jermaine tried to go into the stands and fight but that he was held back. Otherwise he would have received even a longer suspension if he made it in there.

ducks
11-21-2004, 11:25 PM
NBA Commissioner David Stern's statement on suspensions

November 21, 2004

NBA Commissioner David Stern's statement accompanying the announcement of suspensions for Friday night's Pacers-Pistons brawl:

``The penalties issued today deal only with one aspect of this incident -- that of player misconduct. The actions of the players involved wildly exceeded the professionalism and self-control that should fairly be expected from NBA players. We must affirm that the NBA will strive to exemplify the best that can be offered by professional sports, and not allow our sport to be debased by what seem to be declining expectations for behavior of fans and athletes alike.

``There are other issues that the NBA must urgently focus on at this time. First, we must redefine the bounds of acceptable conduct for fans attending our games and resolve to permanently exclude those who overstep those bounds. Participants in and around the court must be assured complete protection from unacceptable fan behavior. Second, we must re-examine the adequacy of our current security procedures in Detroit and our other 28 arenas. The actions at Friday's game, though unprecedented, must now be factored into all efforts to guarantee the well-being of our fans. Third, we must develop and implement new NBA rules to assure that the unavoidable confrontations likely to occur in the heat of competition are not allowed to escalate to the level we witnessed on Friday even prior to the egregious behavior by individuals in the stands.''

toosmallshoes
11-22-2004, 02:07 AM
This is great news, but they still need to do something to punish the offending fans.

SpursWoman
11-22-2004, 02:32 AM
Second, we must re-examine the adequacy of our current security procedures in Detroit and our other 28 arenas

*cough*29others*cough*

Kori Ellis
11-22-2004, 02:53 AM
Lakers/Clippers share the Staples Center. :)

SpursWoman
11-22-2004, 02:56 AM
Yeah, I forgot about that. I was just proud of myself for remembering there were 30 teams now. :lol

fonzy16
11-22-2004, 06:13 AM
Walllace should get a much hifher penalty in my opinion. the thing really started when wallace throw his towel in Artest. Then the fans followed his example - threw the beer.
Also i think the Pistons organisation and theris fans should be punished severly, ban a few games in theri home arena. I support thath to send a clear warning message to the fans all over NBA. What if the beer was a knife or smth. It ahppened...rememeber Monika Seles?

mattyc
11-22-2004, 08:31 AM
"There was a time at the bus where they were telling us to turn off the lights because they were afraid people would shoot at our bus," Harrison said.
:wow :wow

Jimcs50
11-22-2004, 09:10 AM
Wallace should have gotten more games. He started the whole thing and kept going at Artest, even throwing a towel at him. He further escalated and prolonged it. Had he just walked away after he got the T, this whole fan thing would not have happpened. Had a fan gotten killed, the blood would have been on Wallace's hands as much as anyones.

picnroll
11-22-2004, 09:28 AM
Great idea addidas. Maybe I can buy a couple of bums tickets to a Lakers game in LA, have them toss a couple of beers on the floor get Staples shut down and get Nicholson and all those other sorry ass Lakers fans banned from a few games.

Playoffs would be good but Lakers won't be there.

conversekid
11-22-2004, 10:00 AM
How can anyone say the suspensions were to harsh. Can you say that with a straigh face?

If I were to get into a fight like that at MY work? I dare say I would be "suspended" more than a year - maybe forever? Along with a nice little stint behind bars. Any other person in this world acting even 1/10th as bad in their workplace would be fired permanently. I hope David Stern doesn't buckle to the pressure from the players union.

smeagol
11-22-2004, 10:07 AM
Wallace should have gotten more games. He started the whole thing and kept going at Artest, even throwing a towel at him. He further escalated and prolonged it. Had he just walked away after he got the T, this whole fan thing would not have happpened. Had a fan gotten killed, the blood would have been on Wallace's hands as much as anyones.

Agreed.

Also, JO got a harsh punishment IMO. He didn't jump in the stands, swinging punches like "Crazy" Stephen did. He wacked a fan that had no business whatsoever being on the floor.

Five game differential between JO and SJax does not seem to be fair.

Marcus Bryant
11-22-2004, 10:07 AM
Ron Artest just lost (at least) a minimum of five million dollars because he couldn't control himself after someone threw a plastic cup of beer at him. Think about that for a minute.

Marcus Bryant
11-22-2004, 10:10 AM
JO'Neal hit a much smaller fan that wasn't a threat to anyone. His actions were excessive, to say the least. All he had to do was walk away. He also was trying to get into the stands.

What all of those guys had to do was walk away and the people getting the harshest punishment would have been Ben Wallace and the fans throwing the shit. But see, that makes sense. Sense has no place in professional sports, apparently.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-22-2004, 10:11 AM
JO'Neal hit a much smaller fan that wasn't a threat to anyone. His actions were excessive, to say the least. All he had to do was walk away. He also was trying to get into the stands.

What all of those guys had to do was walk away and the people getting the harshest punishment would have been Ben Wallace and the fans throwing the shit. But see, that makes sense. Sense has no place in professional sports, apparently.

And for those of you saying the kid WAS a threat, how many people hadn't restrained him already?

conversekid
11-22-2004, 10:27 AM
Jermaine Oneal SUCKER punched that guy on the floor... came running across the court and sucker punched him... they all deserve permanent ejections from the NBA. They should never be allowed to play again.

smeagol
11-22-2004, 10:43 AM
They should never be allowed to play again.
You are nuts.

They got what they deserved. Come to think about it, even JO's punishment, in isolation, seems fair. I would have given SJax the same punishment and Artest: The entire season.

SpursWoman
11-22-2004, 10:49 AM
http://img.slate.msn.com/media/13/020621_JuwannaMan.jpg

I'm sure Artest will be able to pick up some extra cash this summer....somehow. ;)

Shelly
11-22-2004, 10:53 AM
:lol @ SW!

conversekid
11-22-2004, 11:01 AM
Why am I nuts? These players physically assaulted the fans, the ones that pay the salaries and keep the league in business. They have assaulted the integrity of the game and should be gone for good - at least artest and jackson should.

No place in the game for hood thug ballas

Jimcs50
11-22-2004, 11:18 AM
No beer after halftime should help. People should not be drinking an hour before they get behind the wheel anyway.

Jimcs50
11-22-2004, 11:20 AM
All I can say is this, thank God this happened because I was down to $161 in vBookie money and now I have 1300 dollars. :elephant

:spin

sbsquared
11-22-2004, 11:21 AM
One thing I haven't seen addressed in this thread is the responsibility of David Stern and the NBA. They have been pushing the "bad boy" image for years and have allowed this crap to keep escalating. People were joking about Artest having the record for most technicals.

Being a Spurs fan, I think this is a little ironic. Other teams and fans have belittled the Spurs for being sissies or soft and the NBA markets the thugs instead of the good guys. The NBA must take some responsibility for this fiasco!

Also, maybe they need to rethink the policy of selling alcohol - like stop selling all alcohol right after half-time. That would give time for the drunks to sober up before the end of the game and driving home.

BTW - I think it was pretty cool that Rasheed was trying to break things up and keep everybody apart - not too long ago he would have been right in the middle of the fight!

smeagol
11-22-2004, 11:33 AM
Why am I nuts? These players physically assaulted the fans, the ones that pay the salaries and keep the league in business. They have assaulted the integrity of the game and should be gone for good - at least artest and jackson should.

No place in the game for hood thug ballas

Well, if you want to ban Artest, Jackson and O'Neal for life, you should ban the fans that had any involvement at all, for life too (i.e. they can never attend an NBA game in their life, which is probably impractible).

Tha fans behaviour was unacceptable. It does not justify the players behaviour, but just because they pay the tickets thay are entitled to through beer, popcorn, chairs and walk on the floor looking for a fight?

Marcus Bryant
11-22-2004, 11:37 AM
Tha fans behaviour was unacceptable. It does not justify the players behaviour, but just because they pay the tickets thay are entitled to through beer, popcorn, chairs and walk on the floor looking for a fight?

A single fan threw a plastic cup of beer at Artest. If he had managed to find the same composure which he displayed when he walked away from Ben Wallace then the fans would not have reacted as they did. It's not surprising the fans were pissed after they saw Artest and Jack rushing into the stands and beating up fans.

conversekid
11-22-2004, 11:39 AM
Well, if you want to ban Artest, Jackson and O'Neal for life, you should ban the fans that had any involvement at all, for life too (i.e. they can never attend an NBA game in their life, which is probably impractible).

I find that acceptable. If they can find a way to keep them from ever attending an NBA game again, sounds good tome.

Mr. Bryant: The fan that threw the cup was not as big as Mr. Wallace; this is why artest went after him and not Ben.

JoeChalupa
11-22-2004, 12:33 PM
What is next? Do we need those plexi-glass barriers like they have in Hockey?

Perhaps move the fans back so they are not right on the courts edge...including Jack Nicholson?

Jimcs50
11-22-2004, 01:03 PM
This is all overblown...we do not need to push the fans back or set up barriers. Cut out the beer at halftime, and make it a minimum 30 game suspension for going into the stands, no exceptions and you will not have any more problems.

Also throw any fan out that yells racial epithets to the players.

boutons
11-22-2004, 01:04 PM
"What is next? Do we need those plexi-glass barriers like they have in Hockey?"

The plastic "bus stops" or cages (as Stern called them, referring to the term "cagers" used for, originally, NYC players who played on rooftops surrounded by wire cage to keep the ball, and the players, on the roof) are a proven physical protection for the team and staff, and maybe some sonic protection from nearby hecklers.

"Perhaps move the fans back so they are not right on the courts edge...including Jack Nicholson?"

That would be very expensive real-estate/seats to lose. I remember a suggestion discussed not too long ago of widening the court by 4 feet or so, but the main objection, IIRC, would have been loss of high-revenue court-side seats.

JoeChalupa
11-22-2004, 01:23 PM
So it's all about the benjamins.

mysterious_elf26
11-22-2004, 01:26 PM
These players physically assaulted the fans, the ones that pay the salaries and keep the league in business. They have assaulted the integrity of the game and should be gone for good - at least artest and jackson should.

Just because a fan could pay money to sit courtside or whatever does not give them the right to throw stuff at the players and treat them anything less than human. Artest and Jackson have the right to defend their manhood. Your telling me you wouldn't do anything if someone threw a cup of beer at you?

The fan that threw the cup was not as big as Mr. Wallace; this is why artest went after him and not Ben.

He was walking away like a man. The fans didn't let him walk away, so they decided to test his limits. I'm sure if big ben threw the beer, he would have not backed down. Size wasn't an issue here. And besides, artest is not that small.

kskonn
11-22-2004, 01:28 PM
I think this unfortunate event taking place is what everyone needed to realize how out of hand some of the players and Fans have become. I do think that in some way the fans involved should be punished but at the same time the players do need to be held to a higher standard. They are professionals and they should act that way. I know if that would have been Tim Duncan or Ginobli they would have waited for security to deal with the Fans. I think going to games has become to much about getting drunk and heckling the players instead of having a good time and watching some good basketball. The unfortunate thing is that Indiana was a very good team and fun to watch. Because of this incident their season is gone, their all stars are benched. That right there is not only punishment for the players suspended but for the fans that paid a lot of money to watch them play the WHOLE season.

JoeChalupa
11-22-2004, 01:35 PM
That's a lot of money to lose over some ice water.

conversekid
11-22-2004, 01:36 PM
Artest and Jackson have the right to defend their manhood. Your telling me you wouldn't do anything if someone threw a cup of beer at you?

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

Running into the stands and pounding someone for throwing a cup of beer at you is not a test of your manhood, nor is it a right.

They have no right to go into the stands, period. The fans were 100% wrong and deserve to be banned from the arena and deserve criminal prosecution.

I prove my manhood by getting up every morning, going to work, and providing for my family.

Jimcs50
11-22-2004, 01:44 PM
If someone throws a beer on me in a club in on the street, I go after him, but if I am being paid millions to play by the rules laid down, then I would not jeopardize my team's chances to win by going into the stands. Artest and Jackson have ruined the team's chances at a championship because they are thugs with no self control and exhibited no regard for their team.

They deserved to be suspended and Jackson deserves to be suspended for the year too..he got off to lightly.

conversekid
11-22-2004, 01:49 PM
If someone throws a beer on me in a club in on the street, I go after him

Jim... why? Why do you go after them? You have kids and a family to support. What benefit to them are you in jail? Going after someone for throwing a beer is childish. A man has self control and restrains from engaging in childish behaviour.

Try and physically assualt me, then I utilize the license provided to me by the state of Texas and end the confrontation before it begins. Throw a beer on me and I go home and take a shower.

Jimcs50
11-22-2004, 01:53 PM
CK, I have a bad temper and I would just go off in that situation....I probably would just push the fucker whereupon I can not be arrested, but I would confront him, it is not in my nature to just turn the other cheek....Jesus, I'm not.

Jimcs50
11-22-2004, 01:55 PM
CK, you are packing???

Damn, I forgot about people carry guns in this fucked up state of ours.

Perhaps I would be a little careful before I just charge at some asshole.
:))

PeterBurns
11-22-2004, 02:03 PM
...rememeber Monika Seles?

The NBA is a joke.
If they really want to show they don't reward this, they would move the Pacers-Pistons off of Christmas game. Stern and the Marketing people make a living off of "racy storylines" (Lakers-Heat on Christmas).

If Stern really is upset he would ban beer sales after halftime, and move the Pacers-Pistons game from Christmas telecast.

But there is too much money to be made.

Artest penalty too harsh should be between 25-30 games
S-Jax Penalty too light, should be between 35-40 games
O'Neal...just right.

Jimcs50
11-22-2004, 03:15 PM
Reggie Miller has gotten fucked in his last season. He went in the stands as a peace maker with a broken hand in a suit, he was not throwing punches, yet he gets suspended.

Also Miller is in his last year as a player and he had a really good shot at the Finals this year, and now, his chances are almost zero. He gives his whole career to Indy and they pay him back by having guys like Artest on his team that make his last roundup a toatl loss.

samikeyp
11-22-2004, 03:31 PM
Miller got suspended for leaving the bench.

Jimcs50
11-22-2004, 03:50 PM
Miller got suspended for leaving the bench.

who in the fuck would have stayed on the bench...that in ludicrous.

samikeyp
11-22-2004, 04:06 PM
not sure what "in ludicrous" is but that is the reason why he was suspended. :)

CommanderMcBragg
11-22-2004, 04:07 PM
The smart ones.

boutons
11-22-2004, 04:42 PM
Juwanna!

Nice one, SW!! A very funny flick. Miguel Nunez was perfectly cast.

But I'm sure Artest won't have to raise him up to the level transvestitism to top up his bank account if his suspension is upheld, not at all a sure thing.

conversekid
11-22-2004, 06:21 PM
Damn, I forgot about people carry guns in this fucked up state of ours.

Note: It is the man with the license that would restrain from fighting over a spilled beer. :p

Not to change the topic, but there hasn't been any problems since the right to carry came about. :)

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-22-2004, 06:22 PM
who in the fuck would have stayed on the bench...that in ludicrous.

I do believe Tayshaun Prince stayed on the bench. Had he not, he might not have thrown down the winning bucket against the Bobcats last night.

pooh
11-22-2004, 06:56 PM
Link (http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/suspensions_041122.html)

Pacers Ready to Move Forward

By Conrad Brunner | Nov. 22, 2004

For the Pacers, Monday was the first day of the rest of the season. It was regarded by those involved as much more of a beginning than an end.

The team is facing unprecedented adversity but the franchise was resolute, from CEO Donnie Walsh to President Larry Bird to Coach Rick Carlisle and on through what remains of the roster.

Ron Artest (suspended for the rest of the season including the playoffs), Stephen Jackson (suspended 30 games) and Jermaine O'Neal (suspended 25 games) are gone for the time being, but the season is not forgotten.

"Our players will compete every night like they always have," said Bird. "They will show up to work every day in practice and as our players start coming back to us we will get better and better. Now, I can't sit here and guarantee to you how many wins we're going to have. I will guarantee you our players will play as hard as they possibly can every night. And to our fans: we need you now as much as we've ever needed you. We need support. We need you behind us. This is not something we wanted. It happened, we deal with it and we move forward."

In the aftermath of Commissioner David Stern's historic punishment of the Indiana players involved in the melee in Detroit last Friday night – five players were suspended a total of 134 games - the Pacers met with the media for the first time and their message was consistent.

With only eight healthy players, and only one (Jamaal Tinsley) a regular starter, the next few weeks will be a major challenge. But they are convinced that, as injured players heal and suspensions are served out, the team will still be a contender in the Eastern Conference.

"No one is going to feel sorry for us," said Reggie Miller. "No one is going to take it easy on us. We won 61 games last year, embarrassing a lot of teams on our route to doing that. A lot of teams are going to feel it's payback for that. But we're going to hold strong. We have enough core-group guys that can hold it down until we get the rest of the cavalry back. There are a lot of guys that have been in a lot of big games that are still able to play.

"We understand we are being held accountable for what happened last Friday but we're going to make no excuses. Either we're going to win the games or lose the games. We're not going to say our top three were out. We're not going to hold any excuses because we feel we can get the job done."

Several points were addressed at two separate news conferences at Conseco Fieldhouse. Among them:

Though there is little, if any, precedent for a successful appeal in cases such as these, the Pacers will exhaust every such possibility in support of their suspended players.

The combined lost salaries of those players, reportedly in excess of $11 million, will still count against the Pacers' salary-cap figure. Rather than being paid to the players, such funds are generally paid to the league, which donates them to charity.

The Pacers will be able to sign players to fill out the roster, although they will be limited by salary-cap restrictions to offering league-minimum contracts.

The suspended players can practice with the team and otherwise use the workout facilities, but will be given a few days off before rejoining their teammates. Those players cannot be in the arena 2 hours before tipoff on game nights.

Artest has the full support of the franchise and, despite his troubled past, remains an integral part of the team's future.

"The incident that took place in Detroit last Friday night was a low point in professional sports, but I'd also like to add that it's been a low point for our franchise, as well, and we apologize for being part of it," said Walsh. "We want to make it clear that we are going forward with this team as it is. We feel we have a deep, talented team. We feel that we have an awful lot of good basketball players. Players will start coming off the injured list.

"We will also explore what other avenues we have to improve the team, although that's not set yet. So I guess pretty generally, we intend to compete and to win on a high level. We think we owe this to our fans, to the city and to the NBA."

The franchise also believes it owes its full backing to Artest, who was hit with the biggest suspension in NBA history.

"Ronnie is a good young man, a good kid," said Walsh. "He's obviously made mistakes; some of the mistakes have been real mistakes over the last three years. Some of the things he does that seem to be not rising to the level of something real bad seem to get blown into something bigger than that. We're aware of the fact of how it's perceived by the public. We're aware of the fact he's had issues. He's tried to help himself with those things and we've tried to support him in helping himself with those things.

"This is another level, and obviously he's been punished worse than the other players. So this isn't the time for us to be saying we're going to get off his bandwagon or we're not going to support him, because we are."

And so the show must go on, albeit without many of its leading men.

"Friday night was a regrettable incident," Carlisle said. "Many people involved obviously made a lot of mistakes. But I think we're at a point now, three days later, where we've got to move toward getting through it. The penalties have been handed down. The healing process has to start."

Jimcs50
11-22-2004, 06:57 PM
Nobody stayed on the bench...they were all up on the floor. Reggie was trying to corral Artest and he was also talking to the cop and telling him not to spray pepper spray in Artest's face...he was doing what any normal man would have done. He was not trying to fight, he was trying to help restore order...that is the Christian thing to do.

He should not be punished.

samikeyp
11-22-2004, 07:22 PM
Nobody stayed on the bench.

my point exactly.

Kori Ellis
11-22-2004, 07:23 PM
I think only those who got off the bench during the original altercation (between Wallace and Artest) were suspended. Reggie came out on the floor during that time.

ducks
11-22-2004, 07:26 PM
the pacers bench players get to gain valuable game experience

I bet alot of teams will scout them just to see when it comes contract time to get them or trade for them

Supergirl
11-22-2004, 11:42 PM
Artest got off easy, IMO. He should be banned from the league with his history of violence.

Jax didn't get the same punishment, I think, simply because he didn't have the history of violence that Artest does. Stern said he factored in Artest's history when leveraging punishments.

O'Neal would have gotten the same as Jax except he didn't make it to the stands (only because he was physically restrained).

I think the league did a good job of setting a standard that anyone who left the bench during the original altercation got at least a 1 game suspension. Miller's intentions may have been good, but it's not his job to break up a fight on the court.

I don't think it's appropriate for the NBA to leverage punishments against Pistons fans - that is up to the Auburn Hills Police and managers of the Palace.

wildbill2u
11-23-2004, 03:12 PM
Nope, there were fans who were also coming out on to the floor, confronting players. And a LOT of fans were throwing shit directly at the players...The NBA was EXTREMELY soft on this issue. Pathetic.

I'd like to say something that no one else has offered to my knowledge. A boxer is held to extremely strict accountability --because his hands are considered to be lethal weapons.

Most basketball players are much better physical specimens than boxers. They are much taller, heavier, in better shape (IMHO) and have great eye-hand coordination and even quicker reflexes. While they are not trained in boxing in most cases, anyone can throw a lethal punch--especially if they come in on the fly like Jermaine O'Neal. Remember Rudy T?

I think these atheletes are so gifted physically, that they should also be aware that these gifts are extremely dangerous in a physical confrontation. They should be held responsible for keeping themselves under control--even when confronted by a fan mouthing off or throwing beer.

Getting hurt feelings or wet won't maim someone. Getting out of control against a less physically able fan can do real harm.