PDA

View Full Version : "The Spurs being the Spurs" - My GM1 Thoughts

J.T.
04-23-2007, 06:19 AM
I've seen a lot over the past decade. Some of it has made me cheer so loud I've lost my voice, others have made me shake my head and wonder why I'll bleed Silver and Black for the rest of my life. For any Spurs fan, these guys have more ups and downs than The Rattler. So as we head into Game 2, having played Game 1 like a preseason game, there are a few things worth considering.

1) Tim Duncan is a bona-fide champion. He didn't just yank a slot machine and come up with three Finals MVP trophies across the middle. This guy plays to win. After one of the most subpar games we've seen from Duncan in a while, you could safely bet your life's savings and the mortgage on your house that the Duncan we'll see in Game 2 will be nothing like the Robot Duncan that Denver "writer" Mark Kiszla swapped with Duncan prior to Game 1. Perhaps Duncan thought he was ejected from the game again for laughing at how hard he's going to dominate the Nuggets in Game 2 that he forgot to report for the game. We'll never know. But what we do know is that Duncan is the leader of this team, and he'll follow up this dud with a bang. I have to tip my hat to Denver. You just awakened MVP Duncan. Sucks to be you.

2) Manu Ginobili is a competitor. I don't think there's anyone on the current Spurs roster with as much drive to win as Manu Ginobili. Manu's attempts from the field in Game 1 lacked the aggression he is known for. The Spurs are now closer to losing the series than winning it--something that won't sit well with Ginobili. Look for him to rebound his poor shooting performance with more aggressiveness and fire to win. Manu won't let himself come up short again, he doesn't know how.

3) Gregg Popovich will make the correct adjustments. Despite the poor play by mostly the entire team, the game was still winnable during crunch time. Pop has seen the enemy's battle plan and will devise an effective countermeasure. The Spurs will come into Game 2 ready, prepared, and driven to win. Players will be more aggressive and aware of their role. No one can light a fire under their asses like Pop can.

4) Seven Game Series. The NBA isn't like the NFL. It's not one and done. The Spurs have had their homecourt advantage in possibly the only series they'll have it in tained, their pride damaged, and their spirits dampened. But if any war was won after the first battle, history would be a much different story than we know it. There are still six more games to be played, but a motivated Spurs team playing a the level they can play at won't need all of them. So I will sign off with an old adage we're all probably tired of hearing by now. Denver, you may have won this battle, but you're not winning the war.

Four.

Come Wednesday, it's showtime. Go Spurs Go.

bdictjames
04-23-2007, 07:59 AM
5) Our boys didnt get to play for the past 2 games, it's quite obvious Duncan seems a bit sloppy at start. Now that we've got a taste of what Denver has to offer, it will be a tougher game next time.

6) It's nice to see Horry have a good game. He was shooting open jumpshots. Now if only Duncan would stop tailing A.I. in the back and stay in the middle where he is more effective.

DarrinS
04-23-2007, 08:02 AM
In last nights game, there were flashes of brilliance, followed by minutes of rim clanking jump shots. Can somebody please attack the paint besides Bruce Bowen? :madrun

Where art thou, Manu?