PDA

View Full Version : If the Spurs lose this series...

tlongII
04-23-2007, 10:23 AM
and right now I think they will lose.

This will just make it a cake-walk for the Suns on their way to the NBA title. The Spurs, in my opinion, are the only team with a realistic chance at beating Phoenix. Unfortunately for them, they have run into a Denver team that matches up very well with them. The Nuggets have their own "Big 3" and are going to be extremely difficult to beat in Denver.

Dallas has their hands full as well although I think they have a better shot at surviving than San Antonio. If both Dallas and SA lose the Suns can go ahead and order their rings. Dallas just can't figure out Golden State for some reason.

DoubtingThomas
04-23-2007, 10:25 AM
I think both Dallas and SA will make it to the next round.

SRJ
04-23-2007, 10:26 AM
If the Spurs lose this series (and they won't), it's time to shake up the roster radically. Too many old legs to keep up with the Phoenixes and Dallases. Duncan and Parker are the only untouchables on the roster in the offseason.

JamStone
04-23-2007, 10:26 AM
If San Antonio loses, Denver is beating Phoenix also.

tlongII
04-23-2007, 10:27 AM
If San Antonio loses, Denver is beating Phoenix also.

Denver would get swept by Phoenix.

Solid D
04-23-2007, 10:29 AM
It is difficult to take this thread seriously, coming from the boy who cried wolf.

spursfan09
04-23-2007, 10:30 AM
Denver would get swept by Phoenix.

Well then its kind of sad to think the Spurs would lose to the Nuggets then don't you think? You're kidn of thinking makes me realize even more the Spurs were not themselves yesterday and will get game 2 and the series.

Поповић
04-23-2007, 10:31 AM
If tlong had a woman, he wouldn't troll.

CubanMustGo
04-23-2007, 10:32 AM
If tlong had a woman, he wouldn't troll.

Or if he had a clue.

Brutalis
04-23-2007, 10:33 AM
tlong we already saw the Nuggets best last night. They don't get better than that and we just about won with about 50% effort from our side.

Bowen needs to step it up.

Duncan needs to move without the ball better, he is acting like grandpa

And Parker has to consistent. Drawing defenses out for his shot and easy kicks to Duncan (if he will MOVE)

I'm telling you even though we lost Denver knows they played good and hard and only won by a couple turnovers.

Crookshanks
04-23-2007, 10:38 AM
If not for the Joey Crawford fiasco, we'd have had a good chance at the 2 seed and we could've been playing the Lakers instead. :madrun Just goes to show you how important EVERY game is - all those losses in January are coming back to bite us now!

ploto
04-23-2007, 10:39 AM
If the Spurs lose this series...

Manu gets traded this summer.

Basketball Jones
The Spurs got to where they are on those old legs and will it with them. One bad game isn't the end of this team by a long shot but I'm not surprised the nay sayers have come out so early. It is typical.

SRJ
That's how I see it, ploto.

Spurminator
04-23-2007, 10:40 AM
I think if Duncan, Ginobili and Parker just don't all suck ass at the same time, we'll have a better chance to win. They seemed to be shaking some of the rust off towards the end of the game.

Actually playing basketball helps to do that. Sure wish their warm up could have been BEFORE a game that counts, but c'est la vie.

ploto
04-23-2007, 10:41 AM
That's how I see it, ploto.
Seriously? I thought no one would agree with me.

Поповић
04-23-2007, 10:42 AM
You would think by now that Spurs fans would be prepared for the home game shit loaf dropped in round 1.

MrChug
04-23-2007, 10:47 AM
tlong, you're such a pussy...I didn't realize.

SRJ
04-23-2007, 10:47 AM
Seriously? I thought no one would agree with me.

Sure.

Duncan gets a roster spot no matter what. Parker's only 25. Manu is 30 with a lot of hard miles on him; yet, because he still has value, trading him could be a way to get younger and better faster.

I'm not saying they should trade Manu, only that if they do move one of the big three it's him.

The_Worlds_finest
04-23-2007, 10:52 AM
If nugs win, nugs will take the championship, and that is not going to happen. Last two times Spurs lost opening games they got beat it was also by uncommon events(last second shots and spurs ALLSTAR players playing like shit). It wont happen again...

T Park
04-23-2007, 10:53 AM
Win or lose, the roster is getting shook up this offseason.

Barry will be traded.

Draft picks will be kept or they will trade up in the draft.

Mahinmi comes over and will be thrown into the fire.

The roster will have turnover, just depends on how the season finishes.

Поповић
04-23-2007, 10:55 AM
Regardless of what happens this playoffs Manu is not going to be dealt. I expect some shuffling in the supporting cast though. The Spurs have their MLE this summer, along with 3 picks, young prospects in White and Butler, and the 5 international players they have rights to. The MLE could easily go to Pietrus. If the Spurs can't swing that, then Scola may finally be a Spur.

I think Barry is the most likely to be moved/let go.

Testing
04-23-2007, 10:57 AM
Nuggets probably played the most perfect game they could possibly play. AI and Carmelo were both efficient in their combined 60+ point scoring. Camby rebounded the ball and Nene played tough defense. Their bench/role players basically stepped in and the Nuggets pace up, not letting their lead slip away.

Meanwhile, Spurs had a horrendous game from all players not named Oberto, Finley, and Horry. Their defense was suspect at best. I think the Spurs can take Game 2 and this series...but the problem is they gave the Nuggets confidence now that they can beat them. Also, you want this series to be easy and over as soon as possible with the Suns waiting. Lakers are no match for them and I can see the Suns barely exerting any energy on them. Meanwhile, the SPurs will have a tough, physical series for 6 or 7 games.

SkunkinDuncan
04-23-2007, 11:01 AM
[QUOTE=Testing]Nuggets probably played the most perfect game they could possibly play. AI and Carmelo were both efficient in their combined 60+ point scoring. Camby rebounded the ball and Nene played tough defense. Their bench/role players basically stepped in and the Nuggets pace up, not letting their lead slip away.
QUOTE]

Nuggets had poor bench production, which is unusual. They had 18 TO's. They scored under 100 points. This was far from a 'perfect' Nuggets game.

I also agree the Nuggets would lose to the Suns, but to say they would be swept is ignorant. They played a few weeks ago and Denver won by 25, was up by 40 for much of the game. They both play up tempo, but the Suns have more shooters.

Sportcamper
04-23-2007, 11:09 AM
The Suns may not get past round-1...

Testing
04-23-2007, 11:12 AM
:lol Suns probably have the easiet first round matchup out of the top 3 western seeds. Lakers haven't been playing good basketball for over a month now. Kobe will win a game all by himself, but no way the Lakers can win more than that. They don't match up well against the Suns.

T Park
04-23-2007, 11:15 AM
:lol

yeah the Suns are gonna sweep the Lakers.

I think Mahinmi gets brought over. They use White and Butler more. They draft a long 3, or a good point guard (maybe Acie Law? *crosses fingers*) if they could sign a Pietrus, that would be huge.

Kobulingam
04-23-2007, 11:19 AM
Fuck Spurs played like shit and Denver played their max, and we were behind by 2 with a few nanoseconds left?

Duncan missed 50 easy shots at the rim, and Manu looked like he'd been resting for months (actually, that's true).

FromWayDowntown
04-23-2007, 11:24 AM
Nuggets had poor bench production, which is unusual. They had 18 TO's. They scored under 100 points. This was far from a 'perfect' Nuggets game.

I also agree the Nuggets would lose to the Suns, but to say they would be swept is ignorant. They played a few weeks ago and Denver won by 25, was up by 40 for much of the game. They both play up tempo, but the Suns have more shooters.

I wouldn't say that the Nuggets were "perfect" last night, but I do think they were pretty significantly above what might normally be expected while the Spurs were pretty dramatically below what might be normally expected.

I think the matchup of Denver's Big 2 and the Spurs' Big 3 is pretty telling of last night's outcome. Carmelo and Iverson combined to shoot 21-40 from the floor and 16-16 from the line on their way to a combined total of 61 points. The Spurs Big 3 combined to shoot 19-52 from the floor (36.5%) and 3-6 from the line for a combined total of 42 points.

If those numbers stay like that, the Spurs will not win.

I'd be shocked, though, if those numbers stay like that.

JamStone
04-23-2007, 11:25 AM
I honestly don't get the comment, "Well they played their best and we played 50% and we almost won."

From what I saw, the main reason why the Spurs played poorly was because of Denver's defense. Now, the Spurs definitely missed some open shots they could have made. But, Nene forced Duncan to take very tough shots and Denver was quicker to loose balls and they did a good job doubling the ball late in the shot clock forcing very tough shots. In fact, if they did a better job of closing out Finley on his 3-point attempts, I think the Nuggets could have broken it open in the first half.

I don't think the Spurs are done at all. But, I just don't see the argument that the Nuggets played their best and the Spurs played 50% so the series is still the Spurs.

I think the Nuggets forced the Spurs to play badly. And, I think Denver is a better team than the Spurs were prepared to play. And, unlike 2005, this Denver team is not scared of San Antonio and believes it will win the series. There is no intimidation. And, if there is any, it's with the Spurs on how to stop BOTH Carmely and Iverson.

tlongII
04-23-2007, 11:29 AM
I already posted this in another thread, but...

AI > Parker

Melo > Manu

Camby/Nene = Duncan/Elson

These games are about matchups and the Spurs just don't match up well with Denver.

SpurForLife
04-23-2007, 12:14 PM
Better put that Championship for Phoenix on solid ice. If we can't elimate them Detroit would more than likely destroy them if they met up in the finals.

nkdlunch
04-23-2007, 12:17 PM
I already posted this in another thread, but...

AI > Parker

Melo > Manu

Camby/Nene = Duncan/Elson

These games are about matchups and the Spurs just don't match up well with Denver.

SPurs defense >>>>>>>> Nuggets defense.

Defense wins championships.

Snake
04-23-2007, 12:25 PM
I honestly don't get the comment, "Well they played their best and we played 50% and we almost won."

From what I saw, the main reason why the Spurs played poorly was because of Denver's defense. Now, the Spurs definitely missed some open shots they could have made. But, Nene forced Duncan to take very tough shots and Denver was quicker to loose balls and they did a good job doubling the ball late in the shot clock forcing very tough shots. In fact, if they did a better job of closing out Finley on his 3-point attempts, I think the Nuggets could have broken it open in the first half.

I don't think the Spurs are done at all. But, I just don't see the argument that the Nuggets played their best and the Spurs played 50% so the series is still the Spurs.

I think the Nuggets forced the Spurs to play badly. And, I think Denver is a better team than the Spurs were prepared to play. And, unlike 2005, this Denver team is not scared of San Antonio and believes it will win the series. There is no intimidation. And, if there is any, it's with the Spurs on how to stop BOTH Carmely and Iverson.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Finally, some truths and facts from studying the game.

I would say, we still had moments where our defense totally collapsed... just look at how many times we let the Spurs shooters wide open from beyond the arc. But I thought we did a heck of a job inside (the 3 pt line) defensively.

"You played only 50%" because of our defense... not because you decided to show up only 50% for this game because I can see the Spurs were trying but they were just overwhelmed by our interior D. And we haven't played anywhere near best to what we can do. I'd say we played 70% last night. :clap

NugzFan
04-23-2007, 12:36 PM
Nuggets probably played the most perfect game they could possibly play.

:lol not even close.

Duncanoypi
04-23-2007, 01:58 PM
if spurs lose this series...manu will be traded to portland for z-bo...and tlong will kiss manu's ass..