PDA

View Full Version : Memories of 2005 fading fast

LAKERS4LIFE
04-23-2007, 02:46 PM
Memories of 2005 fading fast
By Marc J. Spears
Denver Post Staff Writer
Article Last Updated: 04/23/2007 12:21:05 AM MDT

San Antonio - Is the past past for the Nuggets?

Two years ago, Denver won at San Antonio 93-87 in Game 1 of the first round, but lost the next four in the best-of-seven series.

The Nuggets won here Sunday (95-89) in Game 1, but that might be the only similarity between the series-opening victories.

This Nuggets team is more experienced, Carmelo Anthony is much improved and Denver has all-star guard Allen Iverson, whom the Spurs could not contain Sunday. That makes the Nuggets confident their Game 1 victory is not a fluke.

"It's different; 2005 is over," Anthony said. "We can't live in the past. I can't live in the past. I don't even want to answer any more questions about 2005."

Two years ago, the Nuggets needed a 32-8 sprint over the final part of the regular season to get into the playoffs, but they had no big offensive threat other than Anthony. That made it easy for the Spurs to shut down Denver by double- and at times triple-teaming Anthony, forcing someone else to beat them.

That someone else in Game 1 was guard Andre Miller, who scored 31 points while Anthony had just 14.

"We were more happy that we won Game 1 (in 2005)," Nuggets center Marcus Camby after Sunday's victory. "And we came out for Game 2 and they beat us by like 25 points. This year, we know what they are capable of doing. We have different weapons and elements to go to."

The Spurs responded two years ago by inserting guard Manu Ginobili into the starting lineup in Game 2 and steamrolling the Nuggets 104-76, then rolling from then on.

"Last time we won a game down here in a playoff situation, we fell asleep," Nuggets coach George Karl said. "It's going to (take) a lot of guys' responsibility to be ready to play better than we were the last time we played them."

Iverson made a huge impact Sunday, often taking control at the offensive end after a poor shooting first quarter.

He had 31 points, and Anthony had 30.

Also in the mix this time is point guard Steve Blake, who is happy to defer to the team's bigger scorers but who has shown he is capable of knocking down huge shots. He had one of those with a 3-pointer in the fourth quarter right after being knocked into the scorer's table by Spurs reserve point guard Jacque Vaughn.

Defensively, the Nuggets also appeared more in control Sunday night than in 2005. Camby, a candidate for defensive player of the year, had 10 rebounds and two blocked shots (on consecutive attempts by Tony Parker). Nene also had a monster game, limiting Spurs superstar forward Tim Duncan to 14 points.

Veteran forward Eduardo Najera is back, and there are talented bench scorers who weren't with the team in 2005, such as forward Linas Kleiza and guard J.R. Smith.

"There is a lot of talent," Iverson said. "Then you put Melo on the team, it makes it that much easier for everybody else with all the attention he gets. I love the way the squad looks."

SkunkinDuncan
04-23-2007, 03:04 PM
Oooh, I hope the Spurs read this! They're gonna be soooo MAD!

Cry Havoc
04-23-2007, 03:15 PM
Oooh, I hope the Spurs read this! They're gonna be soooo MAD!

Obviously (probably because you haven't watched much of the later rounds) you've never seen what a pissed-off Tim Duncan can do to your defense.

Denver is pretty damn pleased with itself for being up 1-0. You had better win Game 2 or the momentum will shift.

LilMissSPURfect
04-23-2007, 03:20 PM
a quick reminder :p: so to SETTLE errrrr one down

http://www.nba.com/media/finals2005/teamcelNSB_360_050623.jpg

florige
04-23-2007, 03:21 PM
Obviously (probably because you haven't watched much of the later rounds) you've never seen what a pissed-off Tim Duncan can do to your defense.

Denver is pretty damn pleased with itself for being up 1-0. You had better win Game 2 or the momentum will shift.

Yeah even though Denver didn't jump around like they won the championship this time around, I can bet you that they are full of themselves. I knew this would be a tough series. But I without a doubt know we can beat them in Denver. All it takes is for one game for AI to start hoisting up ridiculous shots and that will carry over with Melo starting to follow suit. I really think that Pop should consider putting Bowen on AI. Once AI gets frustrated he starts getting selfish. Won't be the least bit surprised though if this thing goes 7 games.

SkunkinDuncan
04-23-2007, 03:22 PM

I've seen all the later rounds and know what Duncan can do. I just don't believe it's the media that motivates a HOF professional athlete with 3 titles. I think it's mostly just fans who cry about the media, and not SA fans specifically.

Why shouldn't Denver fans be pleased? We beat a superior team on the road. Go look through my posts, you won't see any trash talking about the win. I think you are being sensitive.

dbreiden83080
04-23-2007, 03:28 PM
Memories of 2005 fading fast
By Marc J. Spears
Denver Post Staff Writer
Article Last Updated: 04/23/2007 12:21:05 AM MDT

Defensively, the Nuggets also appeared more in control Sunday night than in 2005. Camby, a candidate for defensive player of the year, had 10 rebounds and two blocked shots (on consecutive attempts by Tony Parker). Nene also had a monster game, limiting Spurs superstar forward Tim Duncan to 14 points.

."[/SIZE][/FONT]

Yeah they looked in total command on D when Tim and Tony and the whole Supporting cast were missing shots they make 9 times out of 10. Spurs played about as bad as they could on offense last night and with 2:00 to play they were right there.

SkunkinDuncan
04-23-2007, 03:33 PM
Yeah they looked in total command on D when Tim and Tony and the whole Supporting cast were missing shots they make 9 times out of 10. Spurs played about as bad as they could on offense last night and with 2:00 to play they were right there.

Spurs were playing catch up from being down 10. Though they cut it to 2, it was very late and the Nuggets were basically in command as the Spurs had to foul. Nuggets almost blew it though, that could because SA is a very experienced team and the Nuggets thought they had it won with a minute to go. That could be a good lesson for the Nuggets.

Obstructed_View
04-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Then Denver shouldn't have any trouble doing it again on Wednesday.

dbreiden83080
04-23-2007, 03:38 PM
Spurs were playing catch up from being down 10. Though they cut it to 2, it was very late and the Nuggets were basically in command as the Spurs had to foul. Nuggets almost blew it though, that could because SA is a very experienced team and the Nuggets thought they had it won with a minute to go. That could be a good lesson for the Nuggets.

You don't seriously think you are winning this game 2 do you? It may be close but what are the odds the big 3 will be that bad again and the Spurs with all their experience will let you out of SA up 2-0.

Ishta
04-23-2007, 03:44 PM
You don't seriously think you are winning this game 2 do you? It may be close but what are the odds the big 3 will be that bad again and the Spurs with all their experience will let you out of SA up 2-0.
NOT A CHANCE IN HELL.. SPURS WIN GAME 2 :spin ,THEN 3,4,5

SkunkinDuncan
04-23-2007, 03:50 PM
I'm on record as picking the Spurs in 6. But do I think the Nuggets 'can' win game 2? Sure.

Mr. Peabody
I've seen all the later rounds and know what Duncan can do. I just don't believe it's the media that motivates a HOF professional athlete with 3 titles. I think it's mostly just fans who cry about the media, and not SA fans specifically.

Why shouldn't Denver fans be pleased? We beat a superior team on the road. Go look through my posts, you won't see any trash talking about the win. I think you are being sensitive.

Exactly. If the Spurs need articles like this to motivate them, they aren't winning the title this year. Hopefully, being embarrassed at home will be enough to light a fire under the team.

Also, I agree that Nuggets fans have a right to be happy. They are the underdog and yet, they showed much more poise than the Spurs in crunch time. I hope it was just a one-game fluke, but we'll see.

Ed Helicopter Jones
The Nugats' press team was saying the '05 series was over after game one two years ago two.

SkunkinDuncan
04-23-2007, 03:53 PM
The Nugats' press team was saying the '05 series was over after game one two years ago two.

Uhhhhhh, what?

smeagol
04-23-2007, 03:54 PM
Denver fans, as well as their sportswriters, seem to be overconfident.

A very good sign.

boutons_
04-23-2007, 03:55 PM
"being embarrassed at home will be enough to light a fire under the team."

hmm, losing to Celts and bout 5 others @ATT that they should have beaten has been forgotten.

The Spurs are easily bored with basketball, have hard time retaining how to play basketball. The last W Suns@ATT was way too infrequent display of what the Spurs can do when they want to.

Mr. Peabody
04-23-2007, 03:57 PM
"being embarrassed at home will be enough to light a fire under the team."

hmm, losing to Celts and bout 5 others @ATT that they should have beaten has been forgotten.

Yeah, but the Spurs usually respond well to losses, so game 2 should be a better-played game.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-23-2007, 03:58 PM
Uhhhhhh, what?

Your sportswriters get pretty excited about winning a single game. Must be a football town.

Obstructed_View
04-23-2007, 03:58 PM
Yeah, but the Spurs usually respond well to losses, so game 2 should be a better-played game.
Not if the Nuggets are just imposing their will. If game 1 wasn't a fluke then the Spurs will have this much trouble through the entire series.

Mr. Peabody
04-23-2007, 04:01 PM
Not if the Nuggets are just imposing their will. If game 1 wasn't a fluke then the Spurs will have this much trouble through the entire series.

Well, if game 1 wasn't a fluke, then the Nuggets are the better team and deserve to win the series. I don't believe that's the case though.

Oh, Gee!!
04-23-2007, 04:05 PM

A very good sign.

I'm more worried about Carmelo and AI

SkunkinDuncan
04-23-2007, 04:05 PM
Your sportswriters get pretty excited about winning a single game. Must be a football town.

Well, if you look at the threads from those stories, pretty much all the Denver fans say that writer sucks, too.

And yes, it is a football town, with all 4 major sports and most 2nd tier sports as well. SA having only Pro Basketball is a basketball town, I'm sure.

smeagol
04-23-2007, 04:09 PM

The Spurs are easily bored with basketball, have hard time retaining how to play basketball. The last W Suns@ATT was way too infrequent display of what the Spurs can do when they want to.

This is what you say after every single Spurs loss.

Taxes and death are not the only sure things in life. There's also boutons complaining about the Spurs' lack of effort after every single loss and boutons hating on Bush and the Republicans on every one of his posts in the political forum (regardless of the topic).

SkunkinDuncan
04-23-2007, 04:18 PM

A very good sign.

I know you aren't talking about me.

ArgSpursFan
04-23-2007, 04:19 PM
I remember that game,and also remember that after that Pop sterted manu from the bench all the way to the WCF.I think this year is gonna be the same with Manu.Pop is gonna change him to the starting lineup to turn things around a bit.

Mr. Peabody
04-23-2007, 04:20 PM

Silly Oh, Gee!!, don't you know that it's the teams' fans and columnists that decide the outcomes of series.

Kevin Blackistone
04-23-2007, 04:24 PM
All things being equal - if the Spurs and Nuggets both play their best, the Spurs win. They are the better team. The Spurs lose when they have sub-par performances, and if they lose the series then they deserved to lose.

boutons_
04-23-2007, 04:28 PM
smegma, go fuck yourself. My posts are as valid as yours or anybody's.

Cry Havoc
04-23-2007, 04:41 PM
I just don't believe it's the media that motivates a HOF professional athlete with 3 titles.

Actually, it was you that made the assertion that the Spurs would be pissed about the article in the first place, not I. I didn't even mention the article. I just said you don't want a pissed off Duncan playing for the rest of the series, which you will now likely get.

SkunkinDuncan
04-23-2007, 04:59 PM
Actually, it was you that made the assertion that the Spurs would be pissed about the article in the first place, not I. I didn't even mention the article. I just said you don't want a pissed off Duncan playing for the rest of the series, which you will now likely get.

My inital post was being sarcastic, as every article that has come out has resulted in a thread here where the locals basically say what I wrote. I'm sorry you did not see that, I thought it was obvious and others here seem to have gotten it. The post you quoted is what I actually think and have posted so in a couple of threads.

As far as a pissed Duncan, would it have been better for the Nuggets to lose game 1 so Duncan would would not be pissed?

gospursgooo
04-23-2007, 11:38 PM
The Spurs are going to win this series; there is no question about it!

spursfan09
04-23-2007, 11:42 PM

Well they shold be worried, about Manu, Tim and Tony. They did not play well, and Spurs still had a chance to win the game.

pooh
04-24-2007, 12:24 AM
NOT A CHANCE IN HELL.. SPURS WIN GAME 2 :spin ,THEN 3,4,5

Can I buy some Pot from you? :)

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-24-2007, 12:32 AM
Well, if game 1 wasn't a fluke, then the Nuggets are the better team and deserve to win the series. I don't believe that's the case though.

I'm worried that they are a nightmare matchup for us (we have no-one to stop Carmelo, they are younger and more athletic than us, and overall their frontline is better than ours as all we have is Duncan), and that sadly that might lead to them winning the series.

However, the other night could have just been a case of rust, so we shall see Wednesday.

Also, well done to SkunkinDuncan for enjoying his team's success without being a gloating fuckwad, a difficult line to tread... ;)