PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Spurs should go small

usckk
04-23-2007, 02:48 PM
By John Hollinger
ESPN Insider

"3. Overreactions? ... Part II: Many people are wondering if Johnson caved in too quickly to Golden State's matchups by starting George. But the other Western power to lose Sunday night also went away from its usual playing rotation.

All year long, San Antonio has played stretches with Michael Finley as its de facto power forward in a smallish lineup that also has Manu Ginobili as one wing and either Bruce Bowen or Brent Barry as the other. The Spurs didn't use this look once against Denver on Sunday.

Granted, this departure wasn't nearly as pronounced as Dallas'. Moreover, the Spurs mostly used Robert Horry and Fabricio Oberto in that spot, and both players performed extremely well -- they combined for 22 points and seven boards in 40 minutes of action. The big loser on the exchange ended up being Barry, who only played 12 minutes.

Obviously, the reason San Antonio didn't try this was because of Denver's front line. With both Marcus Camby and Nene up front, there would be a major mismatch for whatever player opposed Finley at power forward.

Nonetheless, I do have to wonder if we'll see this lineup in Game 2. One of the main strategies against Camby has been to force him to guard somebody so he can't roam and go for shot blocks. He can play the roamer role if he's guarding Francisco Elson or Oberto, but against the likes of Finley he'd have to stay honest.

Defensively, San Antonio would have to go zone, but is that really such a bad idea against this team? The Nuggets have struggled with 3-point shooting all year. Meanwhile, getting an extra "bat" in the lineup might help cure San Antonio's Game 1 offensive woes. Speaking of which ..."

CubanMustGo
04-23-2007, 02:49 PM
John Hollinger should reflect on the fact that his Holy Statistical Approach To Basketball predicted none of yesterday's upsets.

T Park
04-23-2007, 02:58 PM
Going small would be a mistake.

BUT.

His idea of playing zone makes alot of sense and don't understand why it wouldn't and couldn't work.

nkdlunch
04-23-2007, 03:00 PM
this is not time to panic. Spurs need to come in same as game 1 in terms of lineups, strategy. they need to come out more aggressive and big 3 need to step up. that's all.

DDS4
04-23-2007, 03:05 PM
Spurs, renowned by going big most of the time, can't match up with Nene and Camby.

And the Spurs aren't exactly great at going small either.

T Park
04-23-2007, 03:08 PM
Like NKD I wouldn't change who played and what not.

Only out of that I would change, is Bowen play about 25 to 30 minutes.

STAY ON IVERSON.

Put Ginobili, Finley, even Elson on Anthony.

SkunkinDuncan
04-23-2007, 03:08 PM
this is not time to panic. Spurs need to come in same as game 1 in terms of lineups, strategy. they need to come out more aggressive and big 3 need to step up. that's all.

You are correct. That should be all that is needed from the Spurs perspective. If they do that and still lose, then tinker.

sabar
04-23-2007, 03:14 PM
Even our tall lineup looks small compared to Nene/Camby. We're mismatched either way. I expect Pop to alternate between stretches of both small and big depending on the foul situation. Horry/Oberto looked real good though so I figure Pop will stay big for most of game 2.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Don't worry, one more loss and we'll likely see Vaughn at the 4. Pop has absolutely no apprehension about pulling the "small ball" trigger.

SkunkinDuncan
04-23-2007, 04:08 PM
Don't worry, one more loss and we'll likely see Vaughn at the 4. Pop has absolutely no apprehension about pulling the "small ball" trigger.

Kind of strange, the Nuggets have played tons of small ball the last couple of years. Once we traded Boynkins, we did less, but it's something they are comfortable with. I wouldn't mind seeing how that went, we could be pretty effective with it.

timvp
04-23-2007, 04:16 PM
This is why Hollinger will always be relegated to the calculator.

Did he see the Spurs struggle on the boards even while they were big? You put Finley, who had no rebounds in the game, at power forward and it'd get ugly. If Pop goes small against the Nuggets front line, this series is over in four.

SPARKY
04-23-2007, 04:19 PM
This is why Hollinger will always be relegated to the calculator.

Did he see the Spurs struggle on the boards even while they were big? You put Finley, who had no rebounds in the game, at power forward and it'd get ugly. If Pop goes small against the Nuggets front line, this series is over in four.

This is also why the Spurs will take the series in 5 or 6. They can play Spurs Basketball against the Nuggets. No need to make adjustments. You go to small ball only if you know you are f'ed playing your normal game.

Kevin Blackistone
04-23-2007, 04:30 PM
Even with the rebounding problems, if the Spurs shoot a decent percentage and make the shots they have consistently made for months - they win.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-23-2007, 04:49 PM
This is also why the Spurs will take the series in 5 or 6. They can play Spurs Basketball against the Nuggets. No need to make adjustments. You go to small ball only if you know you are f'ed playing your normal game.

I hope Pop doesn't tinker with things. I honestly don't see him panicking in this series despite my joke up above. The only team I've seen Pop panic against in the playoffs the last few years is the Mavs.

wildbill2u
04-23-2007, 05:06 PM
Let's face it. Denver is a bear of a matchup for anybody with the addition of AI to Carmelo, Nene and Camby. Their 6th place finish because of injury is deceiving.

It will take very good games from every one of the Big 3 to offset their firepower. And their defense on us was tough as well, taking Tim, Manu and even Parker to some extent, out of their game.

Why do we always claim another team's poor shooting is the result of our defense, but when our guys are stymied, it's just a shooting glitch and not caused by the other team? Nene neutered Tim. Camby was everywhere. Manu couldn't drive because they clogged the lane.

Pop was searching for a lineup that would work, and didn't have much success as long as Tim and Manu weren't able to perform.

CubanMustGo
04-23-2007, 05:09 PM
Shit, dude, all it would have taken yesterday was a couple of layups falling. Give it a rest already.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-23-2007, 05:15 PM
Spurs will shake off the rust and win this thing.

jmard5
04-23-2007, 07:08 PM
If defense helped us win the series last year against Sacramento with Artest and Bonzi then we could also win the series against the Nuggets. Didn't we also have matchup problems with Bonzi? Hell, they even have Kevin Martin that time.

I am optimisitic that the Spurs can get game 2 and win the series.