PDA

View Full Version : Time for MANU TO START

theroc5
04-23-2007, 06:17 PM
what do yall think? Manu is the only way we have a chance to win this series, he needs more min. and he needs to drive more and play with balls. hes simply the x factor...

Leetonidas
04-23-2007, 06:37 PM
I disagree. Manu will play just as well off the bench. He desperately needs to stop with the constant settling for jumpers.

Cherry
04-23-2007, 06:46 PM
I dont know. Karl is obsessed with the idea of stop Manu.

DarrinS
04-23-2007, 06:48 PM
I think he needs to start driving to the basket and quit cranking up ill-advised threes.

leemajors
04-23-2007, 06:58 PM
exactly who would score off the bench if manu left it?

jmard5
04-23-2007, 07:01 PM
I think Manu is still fine coming from the bench. He just did not play ball last night. After seeing Duncan and Parker bricking their shots in the first 6 minutes of the game, I was kind of relieved seeing Manu going to the scorer's table. The energy and aggressiveness was not just there last night.

T Park
04-23-2007, 07:13 PM
what does starting have to do with him playing unagressive?

beirmeistr
04-23-2007, 07:14 PM
It's a tough call. Manu would give the starting unit more energy and better options if he were to resume his starting position, but then the bench punch would have to come from Finley, since Barry has a very fragile state of mind.
manu as a starter would probably not be double-teamed. Manu off the bench is being double-teamed since the Nuggets have no respect for the other players from the second unit.
It's a tough call.

powerpower
04-23-2007, 07:19 PM
yes if we don't win game 2

bigdog
04-23-2007, 07:19 PM
I say we start Barry. if he's not going to be producing a whole lot, then let him start, and bring double the firepower with Fin and Manu off the bench. I think we should being in Ely for the Nene matchup

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-23-2007, 07:20 PM
That's just the type of lame ass, predictable 'adjustment' that Pop thinks is creative enough to work.

jmard5
04-23-2007, 07:20 PM
what does starting have to do with him playing unagressive?

Hoping that Manu, seeing Duncan and Parker not hitting their shots would somehow bring in the energy coming from the bench. Last night, we had fewer FTs.

I did not say that Manu will not be aggressive if he starts. But if he was a starter last night, and he was off along with Duncan and Parker, who would you look into the bench to provide the necessary spark?

ALVAREZ6
04-23-2007, 07:25 PM
No no no, clearly, that would destroy the Spurs' bench, and clearly, the team with the better bench, not the starting 5, wins the game.

beirmeistr
04-23-2007, 07:30 PM
I say we start Barry. if he's not going to be producing a whole lot, then let him start, and bring double the firepower with Fin and Manu off the bench. I think we should being in Ely for the Nene matchup
Starting Barry and doubling the bench firepower with manu and Finley might not be a bad idea, since barry, who I like as a person and as a good guy, is somewhat hesitant to shoot while Finley will let it go if given the opportunity.
Starting Oberto instead of Elson might also not be a bad idea because Oberto has a lot of big game experience.

JamStone
04-23-2007, 07:30 PM
what do yall think? Manu is the only way we have a chance to win this series, he needs more min. and he needs to drive more and play with balls. hes simply the x factor...

He can still play with balls on the bench.

T Park
04-23-2007, 07:32 PM
No no no, clearly, that would destroy the Spurs' bench, and clearly, the team with the better bench, not the starting 5, wins the game.

With the shit way he played the other night, starting or not, wouldn't make a difference.

romain.star
04-23-2007, 07:35 PM
this is defenitively not about manu coming from the bench or not...
he just has to step up when he is on the floor, no matter when it is

VaSpursFan
04-23-2007, 07:35 PM
leave manu on the bench. he just needs to get his head out of his ass

theroc5
04-23-2007, 07:43 PM
But by starting that would give manu more pt time and more confidence. Manu is getting doubled when duncan and or parker is not on the floor so he cant do anything. But if he were on the floor with the starting 5 he would become more free and the lanes would be open more. Karl is making sure manu cant do anything. I say atleast give it a try for this series. We also need to play bowen more. Come on 19 min was a joke. ITS PLAYOFF TIME AND THAT MEANS PLAYOFF MIN.

T Park
04-23-2007, 07:44 PM
Im all for more mins for Bowen.

give manu more PT and confidence?

Ginobili needs confidence now?

ALVAREZ6
04-23-2007, 07:45 PM
:ttiwwp:

jmard5
04-23-2007, 07:52 PM

Agrees. Manu coming form the bench still has the starter's minutes. Manu don't need more playing time. Manu needs to "play" ball.

Let George Karl feel your wrath in game 2. :p:

theroc5
04-23-2007, 07:55 PM

Manu strives on anger and confidence, the starting line up would help manu get his confidence going and with all the starters on the floor the lanes would be more open.

SequSpur
04-23-2007, 08:02 PM
Manu jacked up 10 shots in 4 minutes last night and made one.

WTF?

spurschick
04-23-2007, 08:05 PM
http://www.spurschick.com/bookofmanu.jpg
From the Book of Manu 4:23

"And his disciples looked upon their saviour and said
'GET THY SHIT TOGETHER!'

And Manu replied
'Uhhhhhh... okay.'"

DarrinS
04-23-2007, 08:17 PM
Hey SpursChick,

I hope you don't mind, but I posted your picture in the trolls forum -- here http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64767&page=5

SequSpur
04-23-2007, 08:21 PM

'GET THY SHIT TOGETHER!'

And Manu replied
'Uhhhhhh... okay.'"

whut.. did u take a fotoshop class or something?

Obvious
04-23-2007, 09:01 PM
... Manu would give the starting unit more energy and better options if he were to resume his starting position, but then the bench punch would have to come from Finley, since Barry has a very fragile state of mind.
Manu as a starter would probably not be double-teamed. Manu off the bench is being double-teamed since the Nuggets have no respect for the other players from the second unit

I agree. Starting would give Manu more pt time and more confidence and not will be doubled when Duncan and Parker are on the floor. He would become more free and the team would be less predictable.

ducks
04-23-2007, 09:12 PM
manu needs to get laid by his girlfiend and his girlfriend needs to give his balls back

theroc5
04-23-2007, 09:18 PM

'GET THY SHIT TOGETHER!'

And Manu replied
'Uhhhhhh... okay.'"
dude that pretty messed up

spurtime
04-23-2007, 09:41 PM
No reason to do anything rash at this point. I do agree that Manu needs to be more aggressive to the hole and stop settling for contested threes. I don't mind him shooting threes when they're in the flow of the offense, but these hesitation shots with a hand in his face have to end. He needs to get in the lane, collapse the defense and draw some fouls. We spent way too much time on our heels the whole game.

Pugglekicker_21
04-23-2007, 09:47 PM
if you mean in a good way then yes i agree.

there shpul be a whole book for the team that say nothing but that for about 1000 pages.

as for the topic, if we lose Game 2 then yes without a doubt.

i like fin and manu coming off the bench, but i do not like the idea of barry and his weak mindset starting.

Cherry
04-23-2007, 10:05 PM
Game 2: off the bench

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/9904/4a0yb3nz7.jpg

GO SPURS!!! :ihit

Kori Ellis
04-23-2007, 10:13 PM
I said on the Round Table today that maybe they should start Manu.

My thought is that Manu is probably the player that can exploit the Nuggets defense the most because they don't really have anyone to guard him. So why not have Manu on the floor from the get-go and run the ball through him so that the Spurs can get off to a good start.

ducks
04-23-2007, 10:16 PM
manu should not start because if they insert him back in they are telling the other starters they suck they need manu in there

you do not mess with the roations this year
the spurs just lost by 6 points not 20-30 and this was the first game that spurs played them when all players played (with ai and melo)

Kori Ellis
04-23-2007, 10:17 PM
manu should not start because if they insert him back in they are telling the other starters they suck they need manu in there

It didn't hurt them in 2005. Manu came off the bench in Game 1 and started the rest of the way.

ducks
04-23-2007, 10:24 PM
changing roations is adjusting to the nuggets
spurs should make nuggets adjust

Kori Ellis
04-23-2007, 10:25 PM
changing roations is adjusting to the nuggets
spurs should make nuggets adjust

Actually starting Manu would make the Nuggets adjust to the Spurs.

leemajors
04-23-2007, 11:06 PM
our bench may lack any scoring punch if manu leaves it...

SequSpur
04-23-2007, 11:08 PM
Manu needs to start. Bowen needs to sit. I'm tired of watching AI run circles around him and watching Duncan chase to help.

That was just ridiculous.. AI treated 2 of the top defensive players in history like bitches.

Kori Ellis
04-23-2007, 11:15 PM
Manu needs to start. Bowen needs to sit. I'm tired of watching AI run circles around him and watching Duncan chase to help.

That was just ridiculous.. AI treated 2 of the top defensive players in history like bitches.

:lol I assume you were bowling again.

AI was like 4-for-12 with Bowen on him, including starting off 0-for-6. The problem was not enough Bowen on the court, not too much Bowen. He only played 19 minutes.

In all honesty, I'd rather have Bowen try to slow down Carmelo, but no one on the Spurs can check AI, so Bowen has to swich back and forth between them - which means he's not going to be extremely effective on either one. But if Bowen doesn't play 30-35 mpg in this series though, the Spurs won't have a chance. He needs to be on the floor.

our bench may lack any scoring punch if manu leaves it...

I don't really care about the bench lack of production if Manu goes back to starting. It's the playoffs and the Spurs starters should play 36-40 mpg anyway. A lot of starters around the league play 40+ in the postseason. Manu can exploit the fact that no one on the Nuggets can guard him. If he attacks the rim, somebody can get in foul trouble, etc. The Spurs guards need to be super aggressive. The fact the Spurs only shot 10 FT's last night is pathetic. And that's not a statement about the refs - it's a statement about the Spurs being so passive.

If Barry and Finley are both coming off the bench that should be enough bench scoring to tide the Spurs over. This is not the time to go super deep in the roation anyway.

SequSpur
04-23-2007, 11:19 PM
Kori,

AI hit 2 or 3 crucial shots right in front of Bowen's grill in the last few minutes. Also, the pick and rolls were killing the Spurs because Duncan was running around with his head up his ass.

Yes. Bowen and Duncan.

SequSpur
04-23-2007, 11:21 PM
Good point about the minutes though... At the beginning of the fourth quarter, the Spurs starters were sitting and Denver was taking on our scrubs with their top team. Didn't Denver's scrubs just blow out the Spurs a few days ago? WTF is Pop thinking? Is he saving his players for a vacation at the next lottery? WTF?

Kori Ellis
04-23-2007, 11:23 PM
Kori,

AI hit 2 or 3 crucial shots right in front of Bowen's grill in the last few minutes.

Except AI only hit one shot in the last seven minutes of the game.

T Park
04-23-2007, 11:24 PM
you obviously didnt watch.

Bowen wasn't in the game down the stretch.

Go watch the recorded game at a friend's house tiny.

ducks
04-23-2007, 11:26 PM
:lol I assume you were bowling again.

AI was like 4-for-12 with Bowen on him, including starting off 0-for-6. The problem was not enough Bowen on the court, not too much Bowen. He only played 19 minutes.

In all honesty, I'd rather have Bowen try to slow down Carmelo, but no one on the Spurs can check AI, so Bowen has to swich back and forth between them - which means he's not going to be extremely effective on either one. But if Bowen doesn't play 30-35 mpg in this series though, the Spurs won't have a chance. He needs to be on the floor.

I don't really care about the bench lack of production if Manu goes back to starting. It's the playoffs and the Spurs starters should play 36-40 mpg anyway. A lot of starters around the league play 40+ in the postseason. Manu can exploit the fact that no one on the Nuggets can guard him. If he attacks the rim, somebody can get in foul trouble, etc. The Spurs guards need to be super aggressive. The fact the Spurs only shot 10 FT's last night is pathetic. And that's not a statement about the refs - it's a statement about the Spurs being so passive.

If Barry and Finley are both coming off the bench that should be enough bench scoring to tide the Spurs over. This is not the time to go super deep in the roation anyway.
spurs fans think manu can exploit the nuggets I hope so I think spurs can win if 2 of the big three go off
they need the big three against the mavs though

Kori Ellis
04-23-2007, 11:27 PM
Good point about the minutes though... At the beginning of the fourth quarter, the Spurs starters were sitting and Denver was taking on our scrubs with their top team. Didn't Denver's scrubs just blow out the Spurs a few days ago? WTF is Pop thinking? Is he saving his players for a vacation at the next lottery? WTF?

Yeah Carmelo and AI played a combined 85 minutes.

There's no reason why the Spurs starters don't play close to 40.

SequSpur
04-23-2007, 11:28 PM
Except AI only hit one shot in the last seven minutes of the game.

oh.. I think I got the wrong guy... AI was the one who broke Bowen's ankles 4-5 straight possessions and Duncan had to come and help leaving a big wide open for a dunk.

My bad.

ducks
04-23-2007, 11:28 PM
Yeah Carmelo and AI played a combined 85 minutes.

There's no reason why the Spurs starters don't play close to 40.
spurs were in high attitude in denver ask pop

beirmeistr
04-23-2007, 11:31 PM
I have a feeling that George Karl is hoping and praying that manu stays on the bench so the nuggets can concentrate on him better.

Kori Ellis
04-23-2007, 11:32 PM
oh.. I think I got the wrong guy... AI was the one who broke Bowen's ankles 4-5 straight possessions and Duncan had to come and help leaving a big wide open for a dunk.

My bad.

I think you are really confused. It was Parker and Duncan who were looking like trash chasing AI in the second half yesterday.

And Bowen was on the bench when Nene got that dunk in the 4th quarter. (He was the only one on the Nuggets who dunked in the 4th, so I assume that's what you are talking about).

5:33 Nene Hilario makes dunk (Allen Iverson assists) 80-77
5:30 San Antonio full timeout
5:30 80-77 Bruce Bowen enters the game for Brent Barry

Kori Ellis
04-23-2007, 11:32 PM
spurs were in high attitude in denver ask pop

Spurs were in San Antonio last night, not Denver.

SequSpur
04-23-2007, 11:34 PM
you obviously didnt watch.

Bowen wasn't in the game down the stretch.

Go watch the recorded game at a friend's house tiny.

5:30 Barry Substitution replaced by Bowen Score 80-77 Denver

4:31 Bowen Substitution replaced by Finley Score 83-77 Denver

I guess Pop thought he was getting used and yanked him.

Kori Ellis
04-23-2007, 11:36 PM
5:30 Barry Substitution replaced by Bowen Score 80-77 Denver

4:31 Bowen Substitution replaced by Finley Score 83-77 Denver

I guess Pop thought he was getting used and yanked him.

Umm.. he was trying to put scorers on the floor.

Just because I keep owning you in this thread, don't keep pulling stuff out of your ass.

You just said Bowen got schooled 4-5 times in a row, leading to the Nene dunk when Bowen wasn't on the floor.

Man up and say you didn't watch.

Kori Ellis
04-23-2007, 11:37 PM
By the way, people are buying Spurs tickets for like $20 on ebay. So if people don't have tickets for game two - they should go get them.

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-23-2007, 11:37 PM
I'm tired of watching AI run circles around him and watching Duncan chase to help.

For 19 minutes?

Kori Ellis
04-23-2007, 11:38 PM
For 19 minutes?

He is confusing Bowen with Tony.

He doesn't watch many Spurs games, they must look alike :)

SequSpur
04-23-2007, 11:39 PM
Yeah, I guess I am confused. I guess watching Iverson and Carmelo dice up the Spurs made me forget Bowen's great contribution of 2 baskets, no rebounds, an assist, one steal in almost 20 minutes. He definitely beat out Elson's Ofer for Game 1. What a joke for a starting forward in the NBA.

How are the Spurs supposed to win when their starters have almost the same stats as Anthony Carter who didn't even play?

I don't get it. I guess I never will.

If the Spurs won, I would credit Bowen's contribution but he didn't do jack.

objective
04-23-2007, 11:40 PM
5:30 80-77 Bruce Bowen enters the game for Brent Barry

Pop couldn't get Bowen in for Barry fast enough after Blake was shredding him and dropping him to his knees.

Johnny_Blaze_47
Yeah, I guess I am confused. I guess watching Iverson and Carmelo dice up the Spurs made me forget Bowen's great contribution of 2 baskets, no rebounds, an assist, one steal in almost 20 minutes. He definitely beat out Elson's Ofer for Game 1. What a joke for a starting forward in the NBA.

How are the Spurs supposed to win when their starters have almost the same stats as Anthony Carter who didn't even play?

I don't get it. I guess I never will.

So if the Spurs had won, you'd be crediting Bowen's 2 baskets, no rebounds, as assist and one steal?

Kori Ellis

I never said Bowen was awesome yesterday. I am saying you are blaming him for particular plays when he wasn't even in the game.

he didn't do jack
And neither did anyone else but Oberto.

The Spurs sucked.

SequSpur
04-23-2007, 11:42 PM
Pop played 11 guys. WTF is that? Oberto goes 4-4, 6 boards in less than 2 commercials and Elson will probably start... again.

Nice.

Kori Ellis
04-23-2007, 11:43 PM
Pop played 11 guys.

That's why I brought up minutes. I know he was searching for a combination that worked, but you have to shorten to 8 players in the postseason and see what happens. Pulling guys every 3 or 4 minutes doesn't work. Players can't get into rhythm offensively or defensively.

SequSpur
04-23-2007, 11:46 PM
I never said Bowen was awesome yesterday. I am saying you are blaming him for particular plays when he wasn't even in the game.

And neither did anyone else but Oberto.

The Spurs sucked.

They sucked, but how in the hell do they get in a rhythm when you put in and pull players every other minute... Shit... Elson, Vaughn and Bonner have no business playing in a playoff game, unless the Spurs are up by 20.

SequSpur
04-23-2007, 11:47 PM
That's why I brought up minutes. I know he was searching for a combination that worked, but you have to shorten to 8 players in the postseason and see what happens. Pulling guys every 3 or 4 minutes doesn't work. Players can't get into rhythm offensively or defensively.

i just said that... WTF?

ducks
04-23-2007, 11:48 PM
Spurs were in San Antonio last night, not Denver.
I know I was being funny

SequSpur
04-23-2007, 11:50 PM
I know I was being funny

hey...

does it look like a got damn comedy club tonight? I ain't laughing.. I have my game face on right now.. I'm pissed. I don't see anything funny in here. So WTF?

You want to be funny go to the Troll forum.. Okay?

Got damn...

This ain't funny business.

Shit.

johngateswhiteley
04-24-2007, 12:03 AM
I dont know. Karl is obsessed with the idea of stop Manu.

as he should be, Manu owns the Nuggets.

T Park
04-24-2007, 12:04 AM
I don't get it. I guess I never will

Im glad you've finally owned up to it

T Park
04-24-2007, 12:05 AM
Elson, Vaughn and Bonner have no business playing in a playoff game, unless the Spurs are up by 20

if Vaughn shouldn't who should be the backup point guard then.

johngateswhiteley
04-24-2007, 12:06 AM
hey...

does it look like a got damn comedy club tonight? I ain't laughing.. I have my game face on right now.. I'm pissed. I don't see anything funny in here. So WTF?

You want to be funny go to the Troll forum.. Okay?

Got damn...

This ain't funny business.

Shit.

you're a loser.

SequSpur
04-24-2007, 12:14 AM
if Vaughn shouldn't who should be the backup point guard then.

Ginobili/Barry

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-24-2007, 12:45 AM

'GET THY SHIT TOGETHER!'

And Manu replied
'Uhhhhhh... okay.'"

Awesome! :)

spurspf
04-24-2007, 02:28 AM
Actually starting Manu would make the Nuggets adjust to the Spurs.
In a way yes, but I like the confidence Finley has as a starter. Benching him might psychologically tell him don't shoot. The one thing I want Finley to think is, if he is open shoot. And I think Pop has told him this at least once this season.

upTD
04-24-2007, 02:55 AM

The only way Spurs win this series is get this shit out. he CAN DO NOTHING.

cambrad
04-24-2007, 02:55 AM
It didn't hurt them in 2005. Manu came off the bench in Game 1 and started the rest of the way.

I think you're wrong. Manu started game 1 and then Pop brought him off the bench in game 2 and onward. You guys then won the series.

cambrad
04-24-2007, 02:57 AM
I like this thread though. Ya'll are getting worried. http://forums.offtopic.com/images/smilies/ohnoes.gif

WalterBenitez
04-24-2007, 05:19 AM
hmmm to be creative send the french to bench and starts Beno!

johngateswhiteley
04-24-2007, 05:34 AM
i just remembered why i tried to avoid the Spurs forum in the past, the amount of ridiculously stupid Spurs fans is staggering. if i were Kori or a moderator i might have killed myself by now. how can so many of you stand some of these posts? and be around such idiots? its like some of you started watching the Spurs yesterday...

...if the Spurs lose the series to Denver (in this current playoffs) i won't post on this site for 6 months. a win/win if you ask me.

WalterBenitez
04-24-2007, 06:03 AM
i just remembered why i tried to avoid the Spurs forum in the past, the amount of ridiculously stupid Spurs fans is staggering. if i were Kori or a moderator i might have killed myself by now. how can so many of you stand some of these posts? and be around such idiots? its like some of you started watching the Spurs yesterday...

...if the Spurs lose the series to Denver (in this current playoffs) i won't post on this site for 6 months. a win/win if you ask me.

If you were Kori ... SpursTalk wouldn't exist! :p:

A forum is open to interchange opinions and point of view it is not about being smart and coherent 100% of the time; I think that this forum is great because of that :toast

L.I.T
04-24-2007, 07:44 AM
In 2005 Manu's stats were as follows (pts/ast/rbd): Starter: Game 1: 23/5/3 (in 37 minutes), Bench: Game 2: 17/2/4 (in 19 minutes), Game 3: 32/3/9 (in 31 min) , Game 4: 24/6/4 (in 37 min), Game 5: 18/4/9 (in 29 min).

That was the season where Brent Barry was much more comfortable starting and Duncan and Parker were playing amazing. Manu was needed off the bench as a second unit scorer. That bench consisted of the immortal combination of Horry/Udrih/Nesterovic. Not exactly a group that is gonna light it up (oh yes, and an out of shape, washed up Glenn Robinson). Manu was needed as the centerpiece of that unit...just as he is this year.

He was also already in a rhythm. He's a rhythm player, always has been, always will be. Moving him from starter to bench didn't matter, he was playing well already. It was the second unit that needed a jump-start.

It doesn't really matter where they put him (starting or bench), his stats are similar in either case. What's much more important is getting him in rhythm. As long as he comes out in the next game aggressive and driving to the hoop, putting pressure on a suspect Denver half-court defense, and gets into a rhythm, he'll get his numbers and the Spurs will win.

But if he comes as he has been lately, chucking 3 pts like Antoine Walker and basically playing with the same rhythm as Steve Urkel break-dancing, the Spurs lose; whether he's coming off the bench or starting.

nkdlunch
04-24-2007, 09:04 AM
No Way.

Finley played great. why take him to the bench?

no time to panic!

Cry Havoc
04-24-2007, 02:00 PM
Hey SpursChick,

I hope you don't mind, but I posted your picture in the trolls forum -- here http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64767&page=5

Dude WTF. NSFW!!!!

Come ON now. Seriously.

johngateswhiteley
04-24-2007, 03:51 PM
If you were Kori ... SpursTalk wouldn't exist! :p:

she's more patient than i...

cambrad
04-24-2007, 06:50 PM
John loves the freckles.

Que Gee
04-25-2007, 12:04 AM
No Way.

Finley played great. why take him to the bench?

no time to panic!

Finley, 0 asst 0 rebounds in 33 minutes....GREEAAATT.

Pop isn't changing the line up. Its the same. Same assignments defensively as well.

mikekim
04-25-2007, 12:17 AM
I think you're wrong. Manu started game 1 and then Pop brought him off the bench in game 2 and onward. You guys then won the series.

Yeah...I was thinking the same thing. I saw what kori ellis wrote on here about manu starting after game 1 in the 2005 playoffs and I thought there was something wrong with that. I watched the recent roundtable (I don't usually catch them) and it seemed like she said (or told don harris) the same thing on there.

I'm pretty sure manu started game 1, then pop got fancy and put barry in the starting lineup, bringing manu off the bench the rest of the way.

yeah! kori finally gets corrected for once. in the limited time i've been using this forum, it seems that she always had at least her facts pretty much straight and made sure to straighten everybody else out...and she finally slipped up (i think...). And as human beings, we always sort of enjoy seeing someone slip up once in a while :)

Mojazz
04-25-2007, 04:40 AM
Manu is proven great off the bench...

Stick to the old plan...