PDA

View Full Version : No playoff plot twist: James says ankle improving

ducks
04-24-2007, 08:52 AM
No playoff plot twist: James says ankle improving
No playoff plot twist: James says ankle improving

April 23, 2007

CLEVELAND (AP) -- LeBron James says his sprained left ankle -- swollen, sore and stiff -- won't keep him out of the playoffs.

He spent most of Monday getting treatment after twisting his ankle Sunday during the third quarter of Cleveland's 97-82 win over Washington in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference series.

ADVERTISEMENT

James inadvertently stepped on the right foot of Wizards forward Etan Thomas, who was defending him on a drive. James, despite extreme initial pain, stayed in the game and finished with 23 points, nine rebounds and seven assists.

The 22-year-old star said there's no doubt he'll be ready Wednesday for Game 2 of the best-of-seven series.

"It's OK," James said. "It's what I expected, soreness and stiffness. If we had a game today (Monday), I'd definitely be able to play, so I'm headed in the right direction."

James wasn't favoring the ankle as he walked out of Quicken Loans Arena following the Cavs' light workout.

He chose not to lift weights or participate in shooting drills with teammates, instead staying mostly in the trainer's room.

After he made a 10-foot jumper and landed on Thomas, James crumpled to the floor with 8:03 left in the third quarter. He sat up and slapped his hand on the court as many Cleveland fans gasped.

Was he worried he might be done for the game?

"Yeah," he said. "Anytime you turn your ankle, especially since I've sat out a couple games of my career because of ankle injuries, so there was definitely a time where I thought, 'Why now?' I'm finally 100 percent healthwise and I turn my ankle, so I kind of go back down to 80 (percent) again."

Cavaliers trainer Max Benton said the primary treatment is to reduce swelling.

In his two previous seasons, James has missed three games when he sprained the same ankle. This season, he sat out two games with a sprained toe, missed one with back spasms and another with right knee tendinitis.

He said this ankle injury isn't as serious as others he's had, adding he feels better when he's moving than when he's not playing.

James watched a replay of the injury, but isn't planning on further reruns.

"I've seen it once," he said. "I don't need to see it again."