PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Bowen frustrated by fouls, limited minutes

TMTTRIO
04-24-2007, 11:43 AM
Spurs notebook: Bowen frustrated by fouls, limited minutes
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA042407.04D.BKNspurs.notebook.3ac5b89.html
Web Posted: 04/24/2007 12:21 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

Watching Allen Iverson and Carmelo Anthony combine to score 61 points Sunday wasn't any fun for Bruce Bowen.
Watching from the bench didn't make it more enjoyable.

Bowen played just 19 minutes, and was limited, in part, by two fouls he collected in the first quarter. Excluding the final two regular-season games in which Bowen made only brief appearances, it was the second-fewest minutes the Spurs' top perimeter defender played all season.

Bowen went to the bench with 5:08 to play in the first quarter after picking up his second foul. He played three minutes in the second quarter before returning to the bench.

After the Spurs fell behind by 10 in the fourth quarter, coach Gregg Popovich stuck with Manu Ginobili and Michael Finley to try to get the team back in the game.

"You don't ever want a player you want to be out on the floor to get three (fouls) in the first half," Bowen said. "So I'm sure after it's all said and done the coaches look at it like, 'Wow, he finished with three fouls and we had him on the floor for 19 minutes. It wasn't like he had five fouls.' It's a coaching situation where they go with their feel.

"Despite that, to the team's credit we were still in the game. Yes, I'd like to be out there. Now it's like what can I do to keep from being in those situations?"

Overpowered: The Spurs were outrebounded 44-35 on Sunday, and were often overpowered by Denver forward Nenê, who had 13 points and 12 boards, eight offensive.

"I was disappointed in our physicality and pursuit of the basketball," Popovich said. "The only one who was there in a playoff sense was Jacque Vaughn. There was no one else in that category."

Vaughn crunched Denver point guard Steve Blake against the scorer's table while diving for the ball. He also slammed into Iverson while trying to make a steal.

Ginobili a runner-up: Ginobili finished second to Phoenix's Leandro Barbosa in Sixth Man of the Year balloting.

Barbosa received 578 of a possible 635 points, including 101 first-place votes, from a panel of 127 sportswriters and broadcasters. Ginobili received 18 first-place votes and 269 points.

Barbosa averaged 18.1 points, 4.0 assists and 2.7 rebounds while coming off the bench in 62 of the 80 games he played. Ginobili averaged 16.5 points, 3.5 assists and 4.4 rebounds, but came off the bench for just 39 of his 75 games.

No to Argentina: Ginobili said he won't play for Argentina in this summer's Olympic-qualifying tournament in Las Vegas.

Spurs officials had encouraged Ginobili to use this summer to rest while acknowledging he probably would play in the 2008 Olympics in Beijing should Argentina qualify at the Tournament of Americas.

Changes in order?: Acutely aware that Popovich moved Ginobili to a bench role after the Nuggets defeated the Spurs in Game 1 of a first-round series in 2005, Denver coach George Karl said he anticipates something similar from Popovich for Wednesday's Game 3.

"If I was in Vegas, I'd probably bet there is a change," Karl said. "Maybe I'm a dumb coach, because I don't think it's that much of a factor. It's just how you rotate your team."

Karl said he will be surprised if Popovich changes Ginobili's role this time around.

"I'm not sure it will be Ginobili," Karl said. "It might be some other position."

boutons_
04-24-2007, 12:03 PM
"Wednesday's Game 3" ??

FromWayDowntown
04-24-2007, 02:01 PM
"I'm not sure it will be Ginobili," Karl said. "It might be some other position."

I'd be only mildly surprised if Oberto started Game 2.

AnkleBreaker21
04-24-2007, 02:02 PM
well i dont think horry should have played so much, i would put bowen on melo the whole game

SequSpur
04-24-2007, 03:43 PM
spurs need points and rebound.. stuff that bowen can't do..

phxspurfan
04-24-2007, 04:03 PM
"If I was in Vegas, I'd probably bet there is a change," Karl said. "Maybe I'm a dumb coach, because I don't think it's that much of a factor. It's just how you rotate your team."

There's coach Karl subtlely poking fun at Pop's future "adjustments."

cheguevara
04-24-2007, 04:07 PM
Bowen on Melo and only Melo.

let AI get his points.

SkunkinDuncan
04-24-2007, 04:14 PM
There's coach Karl subtlely poking fun at Pop's future "adjustments."

Before Game 1, the Nuggets network Altitude had Scott Hastings doing a joint interview with Karl and Pop. It was pretty strange to see, yhey are much better friends than I thought.

mullet
04-24-2007, 04:17 PM
pop should put shake it up with the all redneck team:

beno
barry
bonner
oberto and horry

Bwild
04-24-2007, 04:22 PM
Bowen on Melo and only Melo.

let AI get his points.

I think that works to the Nuggets advantage. Bowen's a great perimeter defender and the type of defender that gives AI problems. Bowen's not as good of a post defender and he's overmatched by Melo in the post. Popovich had it right in game 1 with him on AI. If he puts him on Melo the Spurs are going to have to still send the double team his way. You're better off doubling Melo and letting Bowen gaurd AI straight up. Put Bowen on Melo you're going to have to send doubles for both AI and Melo.

cheguevara
04-24-2007, 04:26 PM
I think that works to the Nuggets advantage. Bowen's a great perimeter defender and the type of defender that gives AI problems. Bowen's not as good of a post defender and he's overmatched by Melo in the post.

still Bowen is the best we can throw at Melo. I am not saying he will stop melo, buy he will contain him possibly.

Popovich had it right in game 1 with him on AI. If he puts him on Melo the Spurs are going to have to still send the double team his way. You're better off doubling Melo and letting Bowen gaurd AI straight up. Put Bowen on Melo you're going to have to send doubles for both AI and Melo.

nah, I'd rather have AI dribbling the ball and our guys just protecting the paint on him. AI will chuck shots.

this is a better strategy. If I had a choice, I'd rather put my best defender on the bigger player because not only can he penetrate, he can post up. Plus I beleive Melo is a better shooter than AI.

then AI will be free to do whatever he wants, but that will not be enough.

timvp
04-24-2007, 05:44 PM
In Game 2, don't be surprised if you see a lineup of Parker, Vaughn and Bowen put out there for defensive purposes. Parker on Blake, Vaughn on AI and Bowen on Carmelo might be the Spurs' best defensive option.

Manu can't guard AI but I think he can buy a few minutes on Carmelo. The Nuggets would post up Carmelo in that scenario, but Manu should be able to front him and the Spurs' bigs can roam off Camby and Nene to help.